Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steins;Gate: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$10.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Adventures of Tintin 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Samurai Champloo: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
$10.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default Another Sub... Another Problem

So, I just bought a Velodyne Impact 12 and wouldn't you know it. I'm having issues. Me and subs just don't seem to work together. Anyhow, what's happening is the sub will not turn on from standby unless I turn the volume on the amp way up. I can't listen to it at moderate or soft levels or the sub will turn off.

Also, it's supposed to turn off after 8 minutes of not having a signal and it's going off after about half that. I've tested different cables, different lengths, different settings up the wazoo but it doesn't change anything. I also tested it buy tapping the end of the cable and it doesn't come on. Regardless of the cable it only comes on after touching it four times or holding it for a full second.

Just seeing if there's anything I'm missing in trying before I set it up for a return.

And before you suggest, just turning it to on... I would but the impact series doesn't seem to have an external power switch.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD

Last edited by Polygon; 09-04-2016 at 10:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
slimdude slimdude is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
8
Default

If you think it's defected, just return it and exchange it for another one, or get a different brand altogether.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #3
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Well, I want to determine if there's something actually wrong with the sub first. Dealer is two states away making a return difficult and pointless if this is normal operation for the sub.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
374
115
63
Default

Go straight to the source. Call Velodyne. (408) 465-2826 Ask for tech support. Tell them what's going on. Get an answer.
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Well, yeah. But I'm impatient.

Besides I called this morning and there is no option for tech support. I guess I'll leave a message with customer service. I may have found a work around anyways, even though I don't like it.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Eh, I decided to just initiate the return to the seller. I'm just torn with getting an exchange or getting a refund. I'm thinking I hate the idea of auto on/off.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
374
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Eh, I decided to just initiate the return to the seller. I'm just torn with getting an exchange or getting a refund. I'm thinking I hate the idea of auto on/off.
Good idea.
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #8
Gravy4547 Gravy4547 is offline
Active Member
 
Gravy4547's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb
15
Default

Did you try to turn your Low Frenquency output on your receiver up and the gain on your sub down? Sounds like your receiver is not sending enough of a signal to trip your sub to ON and you have too much gain on your sub. You gotta tune it in before you panic! Subwoofer tuning can take many days or weeks to properly adjust, and then after a few months the sub will break in an you will have to re-adjust everything.

I would try setting your sub gain to 30% and control the LFE volume out-put on your receiver. That would be where I would start.

I second contacting Velodyne and see what they have to say about it.

Also, some broadcast TV channels very little or no LFE. Such as watching the news, my sub will not turn on as there is nothing for it to play but as soon as I turn it to YO! MTV Raps, the sub click on and away we go.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
Did you try to turn your Low Frenquency output on your receiver up and the gain on your sub down? Sounds like your receiver is not sending enough of a signal to trip your sub to ON and you have too much gain on your sub. You gotta tune it in before you panic! Subwoofer tuning can take many days or weeks to properly adjust, and then after a few months the sub will break in an you will have to re-adjust everything.

I would try setting your sub gain to 30% and control the LFE volume out-put on your receiver. That would be where I would start.

I second contacting Velodyne and see what they have to say about it.

Also, some broadcast TV channels very little or no LFE. Such as watching the news, my sub will not turn on as there is nothing for it to play but as soon as I turn it to YO! MTV Raps, the sub click on and away we go.
Yeah, the LFE on the amp is set to max and the sub is at half way though it changing the level on the sub has no effect. It's regardless, I'm sending it back to the dealer for an exchange. The fact that it would shut of at random times rather and never get close to the 8 minutes before going to standby leads me to believe there's something wrong regardless. I just hope the new one works alright. Perhaps my amp has an issue though it had no problem powering on the old sub.

Oh, and it was having the issue regardless of source even with heavy bass. I didn't even try the TV.

I guess we will see.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
slimdude slimdude is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
8
Default

Before you return your subwoofer, does your receiver have a test tone? What it does, it manually or automatically test every speaker that's connected to see if it's getting the proper signal from each channel. The receiver from the past few years should have a test tone configuration. If it does, it's located in the audio setup menu. You may not get a signal from the subwoofer the first time around because usually it's take a few seconds for the signal to travel to the sub. After the second time, you should get a signal from the subwoofer, and If you don't, then your sub is defected.

Last edited by slimdude; 09-07-2016 at 08:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
47
222
49
2
Default

All Velodynes work best with using a "female to 2 male splitter"



and use both LFE inputs on the subwoofer in order for the signal to be strong enough for the AUTO feature to work.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #12
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Before you return your subwoofer, does your receiver have a test tone? What it does, it manually or automatically test every speaker that's connected to see if it's getting the proper signal from each channel. The receiver from the past few years should have a test tone configuration. If it does, it's located in the audio setup menu. You may not get a signal from the subwoofer the first time around because usually it's take a few seconds for the signal to travel to the sub. After the second time, you should get a signal from the subwoofer, and If you don't, then your sub is defected.
Yeah, I tried the test tone. And just like in every other case it works, but only if the receiver was turned up pretty high. I already sent it back though. They're going to be sending me a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
All Velodynes work best with using a "female to 2 male splitter"



and use both LFE inputs on the subwoofer in order for the signal to be strong enough for the AUTO feature to work.
Well, this is interesting. I was using a Y adapter going into the sub and I had wondered about using the Subwoofer 2 port as well but couldn't find any information about weather that was safe of not. So, should I use a single cable with two Y adapters or two cables?
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
47
222
49
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Yeah, I tried the test tone. And just like in every other case it works, but only if the receiver was turned up pretty high. I already sent it back though. They're going to be sending me a replacement.



Well, this is interesting. I was using a Y adapter going into the sub and I had wondered about using the Subwoofer 2 port as well but couldn't find any information about weather that was safe of not. So, should I use a single cable with two Y adapters or two cables?
Single cable with Y adapter.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Single cable with Y adapter.
So just use a Y adapter at both ends? I guess I better order another one.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
ImPulSive ImPulSive is offline
Special Member
 
ImPulSive's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Chicagoland
1073
252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
So just use a Y adapter at both ends? I guess I better order another one.
No. Typically a single LFE output (aka subwoofer output) on the back of a receiver/pre-pro goes to a single LFE input on the sub. These guys are telling you to take that single LFE output from your receiver and use a Y splitter so it can drive both inputs on your sub. You can do that with a single specialty cable or 2 cables, typically most use 2 cables: the normal male to male RCA cable and then a splitter/Y adapter cable. The normal M-M cable plugs into receiver on one end, then into female portion of the splitter on its other end. Then the 2 male ends of the splitter go into the R and L on your sub. This should effectively double the signal seen at the sub, which may or may not be part of your problem. Most subs do not need or want that, they have a single RCA input marked for LFE connections. But not all subs have the same inputs.
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSive View Post
No. Typically a single LFE output (aka subwoofer output) on the back of a receiver/pre-pro goes to a single LFE input on the sub. These guys are telling you to take that single LFE output from your receiver and use a Y splitter so it can drive both inputs on your sub. You can do that with a single specialty cable or 2 cables, typically most use 2 cables: the normal male to male RCA cable and then a splitter/Y adapter cable. The normal M-M cable plugs into receiver on one end, then into female portion of the splitter on its other end. Then the 2 male ends of the splitter go into the R and L on your sub. This should effectively double the signal seen at the sub, which may or may not be part of your problem. Most subs do not need or want that, they have a single RCA input marked for LFE connections. But not all subs have the same inputs.
Okay...

I just went and read his post again. That's how I had it connected. Single cable with a Y adapter. I misread his post and thought he was saying to also use both but outs on the receiver which I thought was odd, but I just misread it.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is online now
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
47
222
49
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Okay...

I just went and read his post again. That's how I had it connected. Single cable with a Y adapter. I misread his post and thought he was saying to also use both but outs on the receiver which I thought was odd, but I just misread it.
If that was how you had it hooked up and you still couldn't get the AUTO to work then maybe you did have a defective amp in the sub. I have owned many Velo's and they have always recommend the Y Adapter on the subwoofer side. Now the newer subs being manufacture use very little wattage at idle and it is OK to leave them set to Always on. In fact I have one Velo and three HSU subs that stay on 24/7/365 unless there will be T-storms in the area. In fact the Velo that I currently own (see signature) has been on constantly sans storms for close to 29 years and still works to this day.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #18
Polygon Polygon is offline
Active Member
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Utah
19
140
672
40
2
Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
If that was how you had it hooked up and you still couldn't get the AUTO to work then maybe you did have a defective amp in the sub. I have owned many Velo's and they have always recommend the Y Adapter on the subwoofer side. Now the newer subs being manufacture use very little wattage at idle and it is OK to leave them set to Always on. In fact I have one Velo and three HSU subs that stay on 24/7/365 unless there will be T-storms in the area. In fact the Velo that I currently own (see signature) has been on constantly sans storms for close to 29 years and still works to this day.
Yeah, plus it was shutting off at random times as well never making it to the 8 minutes described in the manual. But, I wish it had an on/off switch. Otherwise I would have just switched it to on and went on my way. Sadly, I thought it had one but it seems the impact series does not have an external power switch.
Receiver | Yamaha RX-V765
BD Player | Samsung BD-F7500
Media Players | Roku 3 | Logitech Squeezebox
Front | Polk Audio TSi 300
Center | Wharfedale WH-2
Rear | Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole
Subwoofer | Velodyne Impact 12
Display | Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p LCD
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #19
Gravy4547 Gravy4547 is offline
Active Member
 
Gravy4547's Avatar
 
Sep 2015
Glenview IL, Chicago Suburb
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
If that was how you had it hooked up and you still couldn't get the AUTO to work then maybe you did have a defective amp in the sub. I have owned many Velo's and they have always recommend the Y Adapter on the subwoofer side. Now the newer subs being manufacture use very little wattage at idle and it is OK to leave them set to Always on. In fact I have one Velo and three HSU subs that stay on 24/7/365 unless there will be T-storms in the area. In fact the Velo that I currently own (see signature) has been on constantly sans storms for close to 29 years and still works to this day.
HOLY SHIT DUDE YA THINK YOU GOT ENOUGH SUBS!!! I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE MAJOR HEARING DAMAGE!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
Billy13 Billy13 is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Billy13's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
Somewhere Between Heaven ↑ & Hell ↓ ......
374
115
63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy4547 View Post
HOLY SHIT DUDE YA THINK YOU GOT ENOUGH SUBS!!! I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE MAJOR HEARING DAMAGE!!!!
~ HT HYBRID ~
ACOUSTAT~ADCOM~EOSONE~HARMAN/KARDON~OPPO~PEACHTREE~SAMSUNG~SVS
~ VINTAGE HYBRID ~
AR/KLIPSCH~MASSIVE/CROWN~PARASOUND~PEACHTREE~PIONEER~YAQIN

~ BEDROOM HYBRID ~
CROWN~PARASOUND~PIONEER~POLK AUDIO~SAMSUNG~SVS~VMPS
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:59 PM.