Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (Blu-ray)
$62.89
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.88
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.44
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Three O'Clock High (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Amores Perros (Blu-ray)
$9.69
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Whale Rider (Blu-ray)
$12.58
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA
Default Films from 2004-Present That Have Been Finished Photochemically

Since 2000, there have been an increase on films being finished on a digital intermediate that they stop looking like actual film. By 2004, it's basically become a requirement. Only a few films these days are finished photochemically and, in my humble opinion, look way better. Are there any recent films on Blu-Ray that have been finished photochemically? If you want, you could go a bit earlier than 2004.

#:

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

F:

G:

H:

I:

J:

K:

L:

M:

N:

O:

P:

Q:

R:

S:

T:

U:

V:

W:

X:

Y:

Z:
For every laugh, there should be a tear. - Walt Disney

Last edited by Poya; 12-02-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (10-22-2016), Riddhi2011 (12-05-2016), Tech-UK (10-22-2016), TripleHBK (10-22-2016), UltraMario9 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Here's more:

http://www.sprocketschool.org/wiki/L...l_intermediate

Last edited by Pieter V; 10-22-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Oct 2009
UK

Just to say I completely share the sentiment that photochemically finished movies look better It's a shame Steven Spielberg and JJ Abrams, advocates of anamorphic film, don't use this method anymore either.
Wanted UK slipcovers: Edge Of Tomorrow (2D) | Man Of Steel (2D) | Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Sainsbury's Exclusive) | PM me

Blu-ray Wish List: 24 - Complete Series | The Abyss (Theatrical + Special Edition) | Die Hard 1-3 (Remastered) | Star Trek: Deep Space Nine | Star Trek: Voyager | Star Trek Movies 1,3-10 (Remastered Theatrical Cuts + 1 & 6 Director's Editions) | The Thing (2011 Prequel Practical Effects Cut) | True Lies | The X-Files - Mythology Collection
Thanks given by:
Trekkie313 (06-11-2017)
Old 10-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
Thank you. I've a lot to add but only after 2002.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
Netherlands

No problem.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sideways-Blu-ray/2537/
Old 10-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

All added.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Interesting thread.

It is a shame that The Dark Knight (35mm scenes) and Transcendence were then butchered digitally for their Blu-ray releases.
"It's too bad she won't live.. But then again who does."
"Time is of no importance, only life is important."
"You cannot love a dream."
"It's not possible. No, it's necessary."
Old 10-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-UK View Post
Interesting thread.

It is a shame that The Dark Knight (35mm scenes) and Transcendence were then butchered digitally for their Blu-ray releases.
Thank you. I just wanted to make a thread about recent films that look like film. Even those shot on film look too digital due to the color grading, to the point it wouldn't make a difference. DI's can work to tell a story, like Pleasantville, O Brother, Where Art Thou, and The Aviator, but nothing beats the colors, dynamic range, nor colors of photochemically timed films.

Yes, it's a shame. At least Nolan's later films look spectacular. I pray for that UHD BD of The Dark Knight to correct this mistake. The trailer, which is how the film looked originally, looks gorgeous:

Thanks given by:
Tech-UK (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Admittedly, I don't know what the fnck I'm talking about, but does it even really matter when you're using CGI laden films like the Nolan films, Hulk, and War of the Worlds?
Old 10-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post
Admittedly, I don't know what the fnck I'm talking about, but does it even really matter when you're using CGI laden films like the Nolan films, Hulk, and War of the Worlds?
Jurassic Park, Titanic, and a bunch of other "CGI laden films" back then still were finished photochemically. What's your point? Plus, Nolan likes to use more practical effects anyway.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Son of Saul was finished photochemically.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2016/02/s...r-son-of-saul/
Old 10-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

The Master was completed both photochemically (for 70mm and 35mm exhibition) and with a 4K DI (for digital projection and to create 35mm prints). The BD is from the digital master.

http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/No...ster/page3.php
http://screenanarchy.com/2012/09/jas...rsonality.html
http://www.studiodaily.com/2012/09/f...m-35mm-and-4k/
Old 10-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Debts View Post
Son of Saul was finished photochemically.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2016/02/s...r-son-of-saul/
Added.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
The Master was completed both photochemically (for 70mm and 35mm exhibition) and with a 4K DI (for digital projection and to create 35mm prints). The BD is from the digital master.

http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/No...ster/page3.php
http://screenanarchy.com/2012/09/jas...rsonality.html
http://www.studiodaily.com/2012/09/f...m-35mm-and-4k/
Interesting:

Quote:
PTA could have gone the other way, timing the negative, then scanning that into 4K without doing much additional manipulation. It seems, if sources are to be believed, that the process was done in tandem - one for digital, one for analogue. Similar, but not exactly the same process, this is a film with a split personality, different depending on how you see it.
Why didn't PTA just scan the original IP? It would've looked far better that way. You are right that what he did was still digital manipulation. It's important to note that a digital scan of a film cell doesn't look the same as that same cell being projected onto a screen.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #16

Jul 2007
New Jersey, USA

Agree that The Dark Knight trailers looks gorgeous compared to the bluray. The transfer has always sucked. Even in 2008 when the bluray first came out, the 35mm never looked right, although the IMAX stuff is amazing.

And I always found it odd that Tarantino who is so against digital, used a DI for Kill Bill (2K), Death Proof (2K), and Inglorious Basterds (4K). Although I know he did Hateful Eight photochemically. The fact that Nolan is more hardcore about film than Tarantino is just funny to me, since Tarantino is always bashing digital.

I personally don't see a difference in a digital finish vs a photochemical finish. Although it makes no sense to shoot 35mm (approximately 3-4K native) then make a 2K DI since you just reduced your native resolution. So while, I don't feel a photochemical finish makes a difference "visually", I do agree that movies shot on film look far better than movies shot digitally. With that said, digital photography can look great (although not nearly as great as film) in the hands of a great director, for example David Fincher.

Last edited by Rich1631; 10-22-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1631 View Post
Agree that The Dark Knight trailers looks gorgeous compared to the bluray. The transfer has always sucked. Even in 2008 when the bluray first came out, the 35mm never looked right, although the IMAX stuff is amazing.

And I always found it odd that Tarantino who is so against digital, used a DI for Kill Bill (2K), Death Proof (2K), and Inglorious Basterds (4K). Although I know he did Hateful Eight photochemically. The fact that Nolan is more hardcore about film than Tarantino is just funny to me, since Tarantino is always bashing digital.

I personally don't see a difference in a digital finish vs a photochemical finish. Although it makes no sense to shoot 35mm (approximately 3-4K native) then make a 2K DI since you just reduced your native resolution. So while, I don't feel a photochemical finish makes a difference "visually", I do agree that movies shot on film look far better than movies shot digitally. With that said, digital photography can look great (although not nearly as great as film) in the hands of a great director, for example David Fincher.
Not just a great director but great DP. Lubezki and Deakins, especially, are pros at making digitally shot films looks amazing. Lubezki won 3 Oscars in a row for them (well, Gravity had a little 65mm but it was gonna win regardless of that or not). I prefer film, personally, but it's their choice.

In defense of Tarantino, I read it was Robert Richardson who suggested to him a DI, and Richardson is infamous for being stubborn. Still a great DP, though, though he robbed Lubezki of an Oscar for The Tree Of Life. I mean, Hugo has the best 3D ever, but Tree Of Life was like 3D without the glasses! I mentioned those 3 Oscars he won but Tree Of Life remains his finest work as a DP, in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
Jurassic Park, Titanic, and a bunch of other "CGI laden films" back then still were finished photochemically. What's your point? Plus, Nolan likes to use more practical effects anyway.
If it's been mucked about digitally, then who really cares if it's been finished photochemically? As for Nolan, there's CGI in every one of his effects shots, even the practical ones.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post
If it's been mucked about digitally, then who really cares if it's been finished photochemically? As for Nolan, there's CGI in every one of his effects shots, even the practical ones.
He uses CGI the way it's supposed to be used: to enhance the practical effects or to do effects not feasible with practical effects. Too much CGI ruins a film for me.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America