Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fast & Furious: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 11-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Samsung buys Harman for 8 billion!!!

Samsung buys Harman International for 8 billion dollars!!!! What does this forebode for JBL, and Revel!!!!???
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Samsung buys Harman International for 8 billion dollars!!!! What does this forebode for JBL, and Revel!!!!???
And AKG, Infinity, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Crown, Studer and a few others.

Samsung says that Harmon is going to be operated independently, but corporations always say that. Then after they acquire, they look for "synergies", which means "let's merge these operations and fire all the extra people so we can cut costs". It usually starts with backroom operations like HR and Finance, but it eventually hits engineering, sales and marketing as well.

I think this is going to be a test of whether Trump is full of crap or not. While the President can't personally stop this, he can put pressure on the agencies that have to approve this deal.

Over the years, there has been a big flow of American media and electronics companies to foreign owners. Based on his campaign, Trump should be against this. My bet is that he does nothing about it.

A few examples on the content front:
- The former Columbia/Epic/CBS Records and the former RCA Records/BMG are owned by Sony.
- American publishers Random House and Bantam-Doubleday-Dell are owned by Bertelsmann, a German conglomerate. It merged with Penguin PLC, owned by Pearson, a British company, in 2013 in a joint venture. Bertelsmann owns 53% and Pearson owns 47% of the joint venture.
- Warner Music, although officially an American corporation, is owned by Access Industries, which is owned by Soviet-born Leonard Blavatnik.
- Universal Music is an American-French company owned by French Vivendi.

Now all of these "foreign" companies still employ a ton of people in the U.S., and I'm not aware of any situations where they applied censorship, but I always did have concerns that the largest American publishers and music companies are owned by foreign entities.

Syd Harman is probably rolling in his grave.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (11-15-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I'm afraid the same thing that happened to several marquee brands that Harman bought years ago ........

A rather slow lingering death

Besides ................................. Harman has been in a backslide for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
And AKG, Infinity, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Crown, Studer and a few others.

Samsung says that Harmon is going to be operated independently, but corporations always say that. Then after they acquire, they look for "synergies", which means "let's merge these operations and fire all the extra people so we can cut costs". It usually starts with backroom operations like HR and Finance, but it eventually hits engineering, sales and marketing as well.

I think this is going to be a test of whether Trump is full of crap or not. While the President can't personally stop this, he can put pressure on the agencies that have to approve this deal.

Over the years, there has been a big flow of American media and electronics companies to foreign owners. Based on his campaign, Trump should be against this. My bet is that he does nothing about it.

A few examples on the content front:
- The former Columbia/Epic/CBS Records and the former RCA Records/BMG are owned by Sony.
- American publishers Random House and Bantam-Doubleday-Dell are owned by Bertelsmann, a German conglomerate. It merged with Penguin PLC, owned by Pearson, a British company, in 2013 in a joint venture. Bertelsmann owns 53% and Pearson owns 47% of the joint venture.
- Warner Music, although officially an American corporation, is owned by Access Industries, which is owned by Soviet-born Leonard Blavatnik.
- Universal Music is an American-French company owned by French Vivendi.

Now all of these "foreign" companies still employ a ton of people in the U.S., and I'm not aware of any situations where they applied censorship, but I always did have concerns that the largest American publishers and music companies are owned by foreign entities.

Syd Harman is probably rolling in his grave.
He's probably been doing so for several years
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
Old 12-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
I'm afraid the same thing that happened to several marquee brands that Harman bought years ago ........

A rather slow lingering death

Besides ................................. Harman has been in a backslide for several years now

He's probably been doing so for several years
Yeah, a lot of good brands disappear from the market! Harman Kardon was my first brand AVR, Dolby Pro Logic!! High tech stuff at the time, but I have to be honest that HK has never really made name for itself after the introduction of DD.

Though always a shame seeing these brands fall.

Just bought a pair of JBL Control One speakers, nice little things for an even better price. They used to be a big producer for commercial theaters. JBL doesn't really offer too much in the speaker department anymore unfortunately.
Projector and Screen: Infocus X10 with Celexon HomeCinemaLine 72"
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3300W
Front Speakers: Chario Hiper 2000T
Center: Chario Hiper Dialogue
Surround Speakers: Monitor Audio RXFX Bipole mode
Subwoofer: Dual REL Q200E
Atmos middle top speakers: JBL Control One
Dr. HDMI to solve handshake issue between X10 and X3300W
Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1981 View Post
Yeah, a lot of good brands disappear from the market! Harman Kardon was my first brand AVR, Dolby Pro Logic!! High tech stuff at the time, but I have to be honest that HK has never really made name for itself after the introduction of DD.
I think their major downfall began a little later when couldn't get the bugs out of their HDMI switching and handshake issues .... Then there's the fact that they were always late to the market with the latest HDMI versions and audio codecs

Quote:
Though always a shame seeing these brands fall.
Indeed it is ................. And now the market is full of smaller boutique brands that often cost a pretty penny

Quote:
Just bought a pair of JBL Control One speakers, nice little things for an even better price. They used to be a big producer for commercial theaters. JBL doesn't really offer too much in the speaker department anymore unfortunately.
While it's true ............. the regular JBL line has been whittled down to just a few models ........ their Synthesis line has quite a few exciting models such as these .......

Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (06-29-2017), Scarriere (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 AM   #6
linetvapkdwfr

Samsung is a registered trademark of great influence in some Asian countries
Old 06-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Dealsdunia

This is something really exciting. Now has to see that Samsung would also be able to make it Global and Famous like itself
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers