Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
C$14.99

Murder on the Orient Express (Blu-ray)
C$14.99

Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
C$21.99

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
C$20.00

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
C$14.99

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
C$27.99

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
C$24.99

Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
C$8.00

Prison Break: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
C$39.99

Justice League (Blu-ray)
C$17.98

The Post (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
C$20.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 01-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada
Default HMV Canada in receivership, all stores to close by 4/30

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...all-102-stores

Well, this is depressing. The last remaining large-scale brick & mortar film/music retailer is going under, with all stores to close by April 30th. And the Canadian retail landscape becomes ever duller, an endless expanse of Walmarts, Best Buys, Shoppers Drug Marts, and Loblaws brand stores as far as the eye can see. Oh, and thousands of ROBELUS stores, independent kiosks, and wireless waves at which to buy the same overpriced phone plans over and over again.

True, their prices weren't always competitive (although they were often the only physical store that stocked a lot of titles that outfits like Best Buy, that focus only on the newest releases, never have), but I'm still sorry to see them go. In particular, I've always enjoyed the Toronto Superstore... I could easily spend an hour or more browsing in there.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:36 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

I was at the store today and they said they did not know when the closing is. Also if everything is 30% off now as the website says then they seem to be jumping the gun if April 30th is the closing.

I disagree on their prices, for catalog titles and independent labels (Shout/Kino/Blue Underground) they were often price leaders. Not to mention I picked up lots of clearance titles for cheap including Criterions and Warner Archive.

Last edited by uther; 01-28-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

Most of their major-label catalogue titles were also 2 for 20/2 for 30. The majority of my collection comes from HMV stores. I guess this was inevitable - it's still sad nonetheless!
My top 25 films:

1) Jackie Brown 2) Nashville 3)Apocalypse Now 4) Pulp Fiction 5) All About Eve 6) Blue Velvet 7) Zodiac 8) The Getaway (1972) 9) Almost Famous 10) Tenebre 11) Sorcerer 12) The Wolf of Wall Street 13) Mildred Pierce 14) The Towering Inferno 15) Talk to Her 16) Dressed to Kill 17) Rabid Dogs 18) City of God 19) The Dead Girl 20) Adaptation 21) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 22) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 23) Happiness 24) Spirited Away 25) Harold and Maude
Old 01-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Aw man...

This is bad news.

The HMV near me in Winnipeg was the LAST brick and mortar store that carried Blu-rays worth buying. At Christmas time, I sent my mother there and she picked up four Arrow Video BDs. What other B&M carries Arrow Blu-rays?

They also carry Olive, Blue Underground, Synapse and Grindhouse Releasing BDs.

Their prices are often very good. They WERE expensive in the DVD days but they are very competitive with BDs. They sell most of the Scream Factory double features for $15.00 compared to $24.99 at amazon.ca.

I'll make a trip there and stock up.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

The news articles say store stocks were depleted but my local Hmv has a large number of titles with no empty areas. The Disney titles were missing though.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #6
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

I noticed the vinyl racks looking thinner at most of my HMV's, but yeah the movie and cd shelves were mostly full.
My top 25 films:

1) Jackie Brown 2) Nashville 3)Apocalypse Now 4) Pulp Fiction 5) All About Eve 6) Blue Velvet 7) Zodiac 8) The Getaway (1972) 9) Almost Famous 10) Tenebre 11) Sorcerer 12) The Wolf of Wall Street 13) Mildred Pierce 14) The Towering Inferno 15) Talk to Her 16) Dressed to Kill 17) Rabid Dogs 18) City of God 19) The Dead Girl 20) Adaptation 21) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 22) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 23) Happiness 24) Spirited Away 25) Harold and Maude
Old 01-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphywmm View Post
I noticed the vinyl racks looking thinner at most of my HMV's, but yeah the movie and cd shelves were mostly full.
Ah I never looked at the vinyl section since I have no interest.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:13 AM   #8

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
I was at the store today and they said they did not know when the closing is. Also if everything is 30% off now as the website says then they seem to be jumping the gun if April 30th is the closing.

I disagree on their prices, for catalog titles and independent labels (Shout/Kino/Blue Underground) they were often price leaders. Not to mention I picked up lots of clearance titles for cheap including Criterions and Warner Archive.
It says "up to 30% off" on their website. So some of the products might just be 10% now.
I'll probably check out some of the Criterions that I don't have yet if the "percent off" goes up.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:21 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj15 View Post
It says "up to 30% off" on their website. So some of the products might just be 10% now.
I'll probably check out some of the Criterions that I don't have yet if the "percent off" goes up.
Ah ok, I somehow missed that. Hmv's standard 10% off a closing store then.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Special Member

Jun 2008
Port Coquitlam B.C. Canada

This sucks , now all thats left is Best Buy and their 20 titles , Walmart and their 10 titles and London Drugs way over priced 100 titles
Sony XBR65X850E - Sony UBP-X800
Old 01-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

And Rexdale with 2 titles. Not to mention Giant Tiger, Dollarama and Dollar Tree random BDs.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

May 2010
Canada

Very sad to hear, although not a complete suprise. I guess we will all have to buy from amazon in the future!
Old 01-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

I'm running out of places to shop...not just for Blu-rays but for everything.

I live near the Polo Park mall in Winnipeg which locals will know as the biggest shopping center in the city at about a million and a half square feet with 250 stores. I remember it with 4 camera stores, 4 music stores, 2 hobby shops, 3 book stores, cigar shops, a theater, a bowling alley etc.. They are ALL gone now. With HMV closing, Polo Park basically becomes a "fashion mall". The only thing you can buy at Polo Park now is women's clothing and shoes.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #14

Aug 2014

Times are changing. My wallet will be relieved as I always bought something when I wandered into HMV, which was every time I passed one.

As Dex pointed out, brick and mortar stores in general are having problems. We live in interesting times.

Now is the time to be looking at Amazon on-line alternatives, if only to encourage some competition.

On the positive side, on-line shopping is world-wide shopping and there are a lot of interesting films out there.

mwqa
Old 01-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #15

May 2008

Pretty sad to hear this.

The HMV in downtown Vancouver carries a lot of Criterion titles at pretty good prices as well plus they also carry a lot of titles from Shout and Arrow. Staff is much friendlier too and quite knowledgable.

I have never relied on Best Buy for Blurays...their staff don't give a crap about what they have or what they sell, so this means the bulk of my orders will have to come from Amazon.ca.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
Power Member

Oct 2010
Canada

Weird... I bought a movie at HMV yesterday (Jan 27) and they were no mention of the store closing. But I just visited the website, and yep, it is closing. Since I paid full price yesterday, is it possible to go back and ask a 30% refund?

Last edited by Morsoth; 01-28-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
Weird... I bought a movie at HMV yesterday (Jan 27) and I paid full price. Is it possible to go back and ask a 30% refund?
I doubt it. It's the nature of sales. Unless there is a price guarantee (like at Best Buy), you can't go back and expect a lower price.

BTW, that sale is "UP TO" 30%...not a blanket 30%. I went there this morning and BDs were on sale for 10% off. I bought the Criterion Collection CARNIVAL OF SOULS. Not a great deal but it was already a couple of bucks cheaper than amazon so the extra 10% helped.

My experience with these closings is that there is basically a "Dutch Auction". The early discounts will be low but the selection will be good. Soon, the discount will be even greater but, as the shelves get picked clean, the selection gets worse. So you have to decide how badly you want something and if you are willing to risk letting it sit on the shelf for another shopper. Chances are, the BDs will eventually be 30% off...but, by that time, the selection might be pretty bad. CARNIVAL OF SOULS might be 30% off in two weeks but they only had one copy so I didn't want to risk losing it.

I will say that the local Polo Park store was doing a VERY brisk business in the BD section. I think the good titles will go fast. I really wanted to do more shopping but, this being Saturday, it was a bit of a madhouse. I'll return Monday (when normal folks are at work) and see what's left.
Thanks given by:
Morsoth (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
Weird... I bought a movie at HMV yesterday (Jan 27) and they were no mention of the store closing. But I just visited the website, and yep, it is closing. Since I paid full price yesterday, is it possible to go back and ask a 30% refund?
If you have not opened it and the return policy on the website has not changed you can just return it and buy it again at 10% off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
My experience with these closings is that there is basically a "Dutch Auction". The early discounts will be low but the selection will be good. Soon, the discount will be even greater but, as the shelves get picked clean, the selection gets worse.
Often known as staggered sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
I'm running out of places to shop...not just for Blu-rays but for everything.
Yeah I have found most b&m stores have pathetic stock in general now like the Source, BB, CT, etc. Not much better at the Canadian online 'stores'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Times are changing. My wallet will be relieved as I always bought something when I wandered into HMV, which was every time I passed one.
I rather your wallet be stressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
On the positive side, on-line shopping is world-wide shopping and there are a lot of interesting films out there.
Hmv carried a lot 'World' titles. You can buy them now at 10% off. The world shopping means exchange rate and fees will be deal killers, Amazon Canada often sells true imports at better prices (fulfilled by AC) when they show up.

Last edited by uther; 01-28-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
Morsoth (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

I'm amazed HMV lasted this long, with the two prong attack of streaming eating into physical media sales and online shopping eating into B&M sales. I guess when all the other retailers like A&B Sound, Music World, CD Plus etc went under they survived a bit as the last such store. Right now the 10% discount isn't really worth it as our GST / PST is 10% so I'll still end up paying the sticker price. I'm fine waiting to see what's left down the road.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
...Not much better at the Canadian online 'stores'.

I tell people that if they want to know what the internet looked like in 1996 just look at a Canadian webstore.

This was actually the subject of a discussion on one of the financial/business TV stations. They were saying that amazon.ca was posing a threat to all other sellers (including Canadian Tire, believe it or not) because amazon has such a simple and well-organized selling system. The speaker pointed out that buying things on most Canadian sites is like pulling teeth.

In fact, I now remember that I wrote two emails to HMV complaining about their website. Their old website (three years ago) was fairly efficient and provided extremely quick and accurate results for store stock. The "new, improved" HMV website was slower, less accurate and required more steps to find out if something was in stock locally. I asked why they "fixed" a perfectly good website and replaced it with a crappy site. They replied that it was a work in-progress (a standard boiler-plate reply for, "We hired somebody for a lot of money and they said this is better".)
Thanks given by:
DarthJaeger (01-31-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada