Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Borg McEnroe (Blu-ray)
€6.36
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
€22.99
Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
€29.99
The Space Between Us (Blu-ray)
€5.55
It 4K (Blu-ray)
€24.99
Shocker (Blu-ray)
€7.19
It (Blu-ray)
€12.99
Black Panther 3D (Blu-ray)
€30.99
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
€26.99
What Happened to Monday? (Blu-ray)
€12.99
Eye of the Needle (Blu-ray)
€13.49
American Assassin (Blu-ray)
€12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Expert Member

Aug 2008
The Netherlands
Default Amazing Stories - Season 1 & 2

Turbine Media Group has released both seasons of Amazing Stories, produced by Steven Spielberg, on Blu-ray. However, this is one of those SD on Blu-ray releases, which means all the episodes are in standard definition. The discs are region free, but you have to be able to play the PAL format. You can watch the episodes in English Dolby Digital 5.1 or German Dolby Digital 2.0. Season 1 includes deleted scenes for several episodes, except for the deleted scenes of the episode "Secret Cinema".

Season 1 episodes:

Ghost Train - Directed by Steven Spielberg
The Main Attraction - Directed by Matthew Robbins
Alomo Jobe - Directed by Michael D. Moore
Mummy, Daddy - Directed by William Dear
The Mission - Directed by Steven Spielberg
The Amazing Falsworth - Directed by Peter Hyams
Fine Tuning - Directed by Bob Baladan
Mr. Magic - Directed by Donald Petrie
Guilt Trip - Directed by Burt Reynolds
Remote Control Man - Directed by Bob Clark
Santa ’85 - Directed by Phil Joanou
Vanessa in the Garden - Directed by Clint Eastwood
The Sitter - Directed by Joan Darling
No Day at the Beach - Directed by Lesli Linka Glatter
One for the Road - Directed by Thomas Carter
Gather Ye Acorns - Directed by Norman Reynolds
Boo! - Directed by Joe Dante
Dorothy and Ben - Directed by Thomas Carter
Mirror, Mirror - Directed by Martin Scorsese
Secret Cinema - Directed by Paul Bartel
Hell Toupee - Directed by Irvin Kershner
The Doll - Directed by Phil Joanou
One for the Books - Directed by Lesli Linka Glatter
Grandpa’s Ghost - Directed by Timothy Hutton

Season 2 episodes:

The Wedding Ring - Directed by Danny DeVito
Miscalculation - Directed by Tom Holland
Magic Saturday - Directed by Robert Markowitz
Welcome to My Nightmare - Directed by Todd Holland
You Gotta Believe Me - Directed by Kevin Reynolds
The Greibble - Directed by Joe Dante
Life on Death Row - Directed by Mick Garris
Go to the Head of the Class - Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Thanksgiving - Directed by Todd Holland
The Pumpkin Competition - Directed by Norman Reynolds
What If…? - Directed by Joan Darling
The Eternal Mind - Directed by J. Michael Riva
Lane Change - Directed by Ken Kwapis
Blue Man Down - Directed by Paul Michael Glaser
The 21-Inch Sun - Directed by Nick Castle
Family Dog - Directed by Brad Bird
Gershwin’s Trunk - Directed by Paul Bartel
Such Interesting Neighbors - Directed by Graham Baker
Without Diana - Directed by Lesli Linka Glatter
Moving Day - Directed by Robert Stevens
Miss Stardust - Directed by Tobe Hooper
Thanks given by:
Andrew354 (03-03-2017), chip75 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #2

Jun 2016

Indeed. Series was produced in SD during post, so unless a studio is remastering that's beyond of what we can afford. But you're getting much stuff for the buck, neatly represented on a BD instead of a coffin with 20 DVDs or something.

Before someone asks: Yes, we wanted to make it a "complete series" set with both discs in one box. But Amblin insisted on separate seasons.
Thanks given by:
Andrew354 (03-01-2017), kidglov3s (03-03-2017), Monroville (03-02-2017), nightowl80 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Banned

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine View Post
Indeed. Series was produced in SD during post, so unless a studio is remastering that's beyond of what we can afford. But you're getting much stuff for the buck, neatly represented on a BD instead of a coffin with 20 DVDs or something.

Before someone asks: Yes, we wanted to make it a "complete series" set with both discs in one box. But Amblin insisted on separate seasons.
Can you confirm the opening and closing credits are the English versions?

My memory of the show was that it was one of the few that avoided the transfer to tape for post production. It was made in 1985 which was well before the transfer to tape became the norm and even when it was first noticed with TNG Universal shows continued to stay fully on film. Both Quantum Leap and the Columbo revival did not edit on tape.

However , sd on Bluray is an annoying format that seems popular in Germany so I guess the silver lining is that we get both seasons.
Ordered them anyway.

Last edited by timeschange; 03-01-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2008
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeschange View Post
Can you confirm the opening and closing credits are the English versions?
Yes, they are in English.
Thanks given by:
timeschange (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2014

There's an episode of this series where Sam Waterston plays a guy who keeps seeing a phantom in reflective surfaces. Every time he sees him he gets closer and closer and Waterston gets paranoid to the point where he covers every shiny surface in his house just to keep the figure away from him. That story scared the $hit out of me when I first saw it! Great show.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #6

Feb 2015
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Quote:
Thanks. I was wondering why you didn't release a complete series set like you did with Sliders a few months ago.

A bit strange that they insisted on separate releases. I guess they must have had their reasons.

Do you plan on releasing any more SD on BD sets in the future ?

I would like to see more cult sci-fi / fantasy shows released like this - especially ones where there is little prospect of a proper HD release.

Is it just Universal titles you are licensing at the moment or are you open to approaching other studios ?
Old 03-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #7

Jun 2016

Quote:
My memory of the show was that it was one of the few that avoided the transfer to tape for post production. It was made in 1985 which was well before the transfer to tape became the norm and even when it was first noticed with TNG Universal shows continued to stay fully on film. Both Quantum Leap and the Columbo revival did not edit on tape.
While this might be true, it does not mean HD masters actually exist. So we're booked on what the studio has OR we'd need to do our own HD. The latter is impossible for a niche show for the German market. Even when we get HD, it does not necessarily mean that a Blu-ray set is possible. Premastering costs for BD are much higher than DVD (apart from the shoddy protection AACS you have to pay for and replication also being more expensive in general) but in the market the prices are already so low, it doesn't work, unless it's a real classic and epic show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew354 View Post
Do you plan on releasing any more SD on BD sets in the future ?

I would like to see more cult sci-fi / fantasy shows released like this - especially ones where there is little prospect of a proper HD release.

Is it just Universal titles you are licensing at the moment or are you open to approaching other studios ?
Yes, we do work with other studios. That is the idea of being an "indie". What ever idea you might have, send it via our website turbine.de and look for "DEINE LIZENZIDEE". Add your email, and if you're submitting something that we can indeed secure the rights to (if you're the first one sending this in that is), we'll give you a free copy.
Thanks given by:
Andrew354 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
While this might be true, it does not mean HD masters actually exist.
Pretty sure Netflix here in the US ran the show with HD masters.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Amazing Stories was one of the most expensive shows on TV and had episodes theatrically released in overseas markets. Would not have made any sense for it to have been edited on tape.
Thanks given by:
timeschange (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Amazing Stories was one of the most expensive shows on TV and had episodes theatrically released in overseas markets. Would not have made any sense for it to have been edited on tape.
Whether it makes sense or not now doesn't change the fact that's how they did it. Starting in the 80s, shooting on film and editing on tape (SD and then HD in the 00s) became the norm until HD cameras have largely replaced film. It saved them money at the expense of future-proofing.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region_unlocked View Post
There's an episode of this series where Sam Waterston plays a guy who keeps seeing a phantom in reflective surfaces. Every time he sees him he gets closer and closer and Waterston gets paranoid to the point where he covers every shiny surface in his house just to keep the figure away from him. That story scared the $hit out of me when I first saw it! Great show.
That episode, "Mirror, Mirror" was a real high-point; It was directed by Martin Scorsese and the "phantom" was Tim Robbins!
Thanks given by:
Region_unlocked (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Banned

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Whether it makes sense or not now doesn't change the fact that's how they did it. Starting in the 80s, shooting on film and editing on tape (SD and then HD in the 00s) became the norm until HD cameras have largely replaced film. It saved them money at the expense of future-proofing.
Its not a fact they did it at all. Because they didn't.
You say editing on tape started in the 80's. I can't think of any show before TNG where this was done and it was quite some time after TNG appeared that existing shows started to do it. I think it was around 1990 when Dallas did it and even BBC1 viewers noticed so it was a process that didn't go down well. Name a show earlier than TNG that was edited on tape - apart from studio sitcoms of course whicb were shot on tape too.
The annoying habit of editing on tape also heralded the arrival of the easy to broadcast TV Version for movies which contained footage unsuitable. These didn't start to appear until around 1987 either- up to that point BBC and ITV did their own clumsy editing.

As already stated Quantum Leap didn't do it , Columbo didn't do it and Amazing Stories didn't either. The post above reminded me that the feature pilot was released in cinemas - not something done with shows that only existed on tape.

Last edited by timeschange; 03-02-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Thanks given by:
DMRI2006 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Does anyone know if TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE was filmed on 35mm or 16mm film, or is it one of those completely edited on tape (and thus only has SD masters to pull from)?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:06 AM   #14

Feb 2015
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroville View Post
Does anyone know if TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE was filmed on 35mm or 16mm film, or is it one of those completely edited on tape (and thus only has SD masters to pull from)?
I'm not sure what film stock they used but I'm pretty sure it was edited on tape afterwards. Unfortunately we're very unlikely to ever get this in HD.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Whether it makes sense or not now doesn't change the fact that's how they did it.
No, it's not how they did it with Amazing Stories.

Certainly not this show or other Universal produced shows of that time, like timeschange said. And certainly not series in 1985 with what carried, at the time, massive budgets that had episodes theatrically released in many markets outside the U.S.

They knew from the start they were packaging episodes of the show together for theaters, so video tape never, ever would have been an option with a show that carried an almost-unheard of amount of prestige back then. People today may not realize it because so many "film people" work on TV now, but Spielberg being involved with a TV series was a very, very big -- and unique -- happening in 1985.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #16
Banned

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
No, it's not how they did it with Amazing Stories.

Certainly not this show or other Universal produced shows of that time, like timeschange said. And certainly not series in 1985 with what carried, at the time, massive budgets that had episodes theatrically released in many markets outside the U.S.

They knew from the start they were packaging episodes of the show together for theaters, so video tape never, ever would have been an option with a show that carried an almost-unheard of amount of prestige back then. People today may not realize it because so many "film people" work on TV now, but Spielberg being involved with a TV series was a very, very big -- and unique -- happening in 1985.
Amazon say my discs will be here wednesday although European titles often arrive a day earlier than predicted.
As soon as the disc starts playing an episode it will be instantly possible to see if any of it was edited on tape.

I must admit Tales From the Darkside has made me wonder because its 1983-1988 so at least the early seasons should be too early for the tape editing but I only recall renting one tape and I don't recall what it looked like and I've never watched it on tv.
For 83-88 it should be suitable for Bluray but I wonder if it was like some other shows where they switched to tape editing on later seasons
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #17

Sep 2014
Belgium

damn, wish there would be cool custom english cover art for these
Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #18
Banned

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by polterclown View Post
damn, wish there would be cool custom english cover art for these
Foreign covers are a bit annoying but these days as long as English audio and English opening and closing credits are available I'm happy.
Most of the time they are but the French releases of Mrs Columbo and The Gemini Man have foreign credits and episode titles

I forgot to ask if the episode titles are in English too
Old 03-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #19
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Building Theme Parks and Attractions around the world

Quote:
Its not a fact they did it at all. Because they didn't.
You say editing on tape started in the 80's. I can't think of any show before TNG where this was done and it was quite some time after TNG appeared that existing shows started to do it. I think it was around 1990 when Dallas did it and even BBC1 viewers noticed so it was a process that didn't go down well. Name a show earlier than TNG that was edited on tape - apart from studio sitcoms of course whicb were shot on tape too.
The annoying habit of editing on tape also heralded the arrival of the easy to broadcast TV Version for movies which contained footage unsuitable. These didn't start to appear until around 1987 either- up to that point BBC and ITV did their own clumsy editing.

As already stated Quantum Leap didn't do it , Columbo didn't do it and Amazing Stories didn't either. The post above reminded me that the feature pilot was released in cinemas - not something done with shows that only existed on tape.

The 1985 Twilight Zone revival.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 AM   #20
Banned

Dec 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
The 1985 Twilight Zone revival.
Yes that is one. Significantly cheaper I should imagine for doing the visual effects.
How about one from the mainstream Hollywood studios?
They seemed to take longer to make the switch. I can only think of Quantum Leap and Columbo for Universal at that time. Surely Universal didn't reject video editing completely? Excellent decision then if they did but they wouldn't have known it at the time
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Tags
amazing stories, steven spielberg