Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Children's Hour $15.99 (4 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #1

Jul 2011
Default Best surround sound setup for about $1500

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on what kind of system I should get for around 1500. I need a receiver that's 4k compatible and the best speakers I can buy for the budget I have to work with. Would you recommend towers for the front left and right? How much of a difference does it make? Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

how about telling us what research you have done and into what gear and it's price range. I'm not partial to the "hey, go do all this stuff for me" approach. want to help, but, also want to know that you've put in some time and research in this thing too.

looking forward to see what you have looked into.
55" Sony SXRD & TCL 55P605 4K
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #3

Jul 2011

Well about five years ago I got an Onkyo bundle that came with a TXNR609 reciever, sub and surround speakers and then I bought a Boston Accoustics center channel along with 2 tower speakers. The sound is ok but I think there is room for improvement. Plus I want to upgrade the receiver to be able to play 4k. I've done a little research and it looks like the Elac Debut bundle fits my budget but I have never heard of the brand. Pioneer has been coming up in my searches too. There are just too many options and I'm trying to find the best system that will offer a significant upgrade over my current one.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of Diamond Capital of North America™

These get great reviews:

https://rslspeakers.com/product-cate...eater-systems/
I feel like our ship's going down tonight.
But it's always darkest before the light.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

If you're going 5.1, the RX-V481 would work well.
For 7.1, the RX-V581 looks pretty good!

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...x/?mode=series
Old 03-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #6

Jul 2011

That looks like a pretty good company. So this setup is within my price range:

https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg2...peaker-system/

Do you think the two front left and right speakers in this package would be an upgrade over my boston accoustic tower speakers?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #7

Jul 2011

I'm probably going to stick with 5.1 for now because that's what my room will accommodate but I would like the option of expanding to 7.1 eventually
Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

I don't know which towers you have and am not too familiar with B.A.
I've read a couple of reviews on RSL speakers and they were easily recommended.
This review is a bit old, but Mark's reviews are well-regarded:

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...qht6pEJVM4P.97
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #9

Jul 2011

So these are the floor standing speakers I currently have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005G...=21%2BHh0C0GjL
Old 03-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

Jul 2011

Those RSL speakers are really looking good. Appreciate the recommendation
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

what have you actually gone out and auditioned? also, what is it about your current setup that is leaving you wanting? also really important, music & movies, what's your percentage for each. example, for me, in my HT, I'm 95/5 movies over music. in my bedroom setup, I'm 50/50 (love listening to music in the bedroom with vintage speakers). what you listen to is very important in your choice of speakers.

I believe you can get by with lower quality speakers for movies as long as you've got a really good sub, but, I don't believe you can get away with lower quality speakers for music especially if your listening to a lot of Jazz, Classical, Big Band and even Classic Rock music. this is just my opinion of course.

also important is your listening levels as all speakers don't sound as good when driven hard/loud and also, you need to make sure you have the power to drive said speakers to those levels without clipping them. of course, you got to think about your hearing, but, that's another story.

I think some of the speakers that you and brotha Scarriere have linked will give you a good balance for music and movies. if possible, try to find some place to listen to them, if at all possible and if you go, bring music on CD & thumb drive that you know and is the type of music you listen to when auditioning speakers.

also, some companies allow you to buy with a 30 day auditioning period and if your not happy, send them back for a refund, but the return shipping is on you. which isn't a bad deal after all since you get to audition them in your room with your gear for a month.

also, you haven't mentioned too much about the receiver. what do you want to be able to do with it. do you want to be able in the future to do external amps for all channels, if your a 2 channel music lover do you want to just do an external 2 channel amp for the front L&R. do you see ATMOS/DTS:X in your future? I mean, you almost can't buy a receiver without those codecs being included. but it's something to think about 7 channels, 9 channels or 11 channels.

you may also want to think about buy upgrades in phases, i.e., getting speakers first, going for the new receiver later. speakers can (in most cases) give you the biggest bang for your buck and the most noticeable out of the gate difference in what you hear.

good luck.
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
Thanks given by:
Krelldog1977 (03-20-2017), Scarriere (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #12

Jul 2011

Wow ok that's some good advice. I guess there's a lot of factors to consider when deciding on a system

I should have mentioned that I will be using the speakers primarily for movies with the occasional music.

Its hard for me to pinpoint exactly what is lacking in my current setup. I'm sure replacing the sub alone as you suggested would offer a significant improvement. I've just never been blown away by the speakers that I'm using now and would like to have a more immersive experience. I have a little money saved up so I thought I would treat myself to something nice. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck and there's so many options it's kind of overwhelming.

I haven't gone out and listened to any systems yet because I just decided that I want to upgrade. The nice thing about RSL is they give a 30 day trial period AND free returns so I guess there's nothing to loose.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anothrworld View Post
Wow ok that's some good advice. I guess there's a lot of factors to consider when deciding on a system

I should have mentioned that I will be using the speakers primarily for movies with the occasional music.

Its hard for me to pinpoint exactly what is lacking in my current setup. I'm sure replacing the sub alone as you suggested would offer a significant improvement. I've just never been blown away by the speakers that I'm using now and would like to have a more immersive experience. I have a little money saved up so I thought I would treat myself to something nice. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck and there's so many options it's kind of overwhelming.

I haven't gone out and listened to any systems yet because I just decided that I want to upgrade. The nice thing about RSL is they give a 30 day trial period AND free returns so I guess there's nothing to loose.
so, you've answered your own question! I'd start there and see what the RSL will do for you with your current system.

keep in mind, you could keep your existing receiver if your not looking to go to ATMOS/DTS:X just get a Blu-ray player that has dual HDMI outputs. connect the one that says "audio only" to the receiver and the other direct to your 4K set and your good to go.

the above is true if it turns out you do like what the speakers give you with power from your existing receiver. you can save money by not upgrading your receiver and start to save up for 4K tv and receiver down the road.

a good sub will save almost any system for movies. all your power for speakers then goes to mids and highs with your sub doing the heavy lifting of lows.

good luck, keep us posted.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers