Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
C$48.99
6 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
C$35.99
20 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
C$14.99

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

The Death of Superman (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
C$16.79

Army of Darkness (Blu-ray)
C$23.99
21 hrs ago
Tsugumomo: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
C$19.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Blu-ray)
C$16.79

Gifted (Blu-ray)
C$9.99

Die Hard 4K (Blu-ray)
C$29.99

The Changeling (Blu-ray)
C$27.29

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 03-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #1

Sep 2011
Default What will Sunrise be carrying?

I guess this is the burning question for all of us here as we prepare for Sunrise to go nationwide. Luckily, I have contacted the company and they have agreed to let me share my answers with everyone. Here's what they have told me via Facebook message regarding movies.

We are going to have catalogue in all stores. We are going to have promotions for catalogue as well. We will offer all the major new releases. We are creating a model inventory based on the top items from each studio. This includes all genres, including family and tv as these have the most growth. We would like to offer as much as we can in store, but it is impossible to carry everything. We will be offering special orders for titles we donít have in stock as long as it is still in print.

In addition, I know that Sunrise prices are generally some of the highest around. They have previously told me that being priced competitively is going to be a high priority for them. As I said, this is information directly from Sunrise via Facebook.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (03-28-2017), HD Canuck (03-31-2017), reynaldo (03-30-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
In addition, I know that Sunrise prices are generally some of the highest around. They have previously told me that being priced competitively is going to be a high priority for them. As I said, this is information directly from Sunrise via Facebook.
I will believe the 'competitive' part when I see it. I wish them luck thou.
Thanks given by:
Takao (03-29-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 AM   #3

Mar 2017

Its unlikely their prices will be better than Amazon...if they announce price matching then I will be interested
Old 03-30-2017, 02:29 AM   #4

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapNCrunch92 View Post
Its unlikely their prices will be better than Amazon...if they announce price matching then I will be interested
I agree that it's unlikely they'll be cheaper than Amazon but I do like to be able to go into a store and browse and maybe pick something up right then. You can't do that online. Also, Sunrise is a Canadian company.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
I agree that it's unlikely they'll be cheaper than Amazon but I do like to be able to go into a store and browse and maybe pick something up right then. You can't do that online. Also, Sunrise is a Canadian company.
The nice thing about browsing in a store, is you sometimes find long OOP titles cheap, or come across a title that you weren't even aware was released.
Thanks given by:
HD Canuck (03-31-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2012

I read a recent article that suggested only about 15% of most stores will be devoted to BD/DVDs. It will mostly be focused on vinyl.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #7

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
I read a recent article that suggested only about 15% of most stores will be devoted to BD/DVDs. It will mostly be focused on vinyl.
As I said in the original post, this information is coming directly from Sunrise. I'm not sure about a percentage per store but it sounds as though they will be carrying new releases as well as catalog titles. We'll really know once they start opening the stores.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #8

Jun 2016
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Criterion

Please carry Criterion movies...
Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapNCrunch92 View Post
...if they announce price matching then I will be interested
Unless they currently do it Price matching is not likely.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

I was at the Sunrise Records at Polo Park in Winnipeg and the good news is that they are now carrying a very good selection of boutique labels discs. I saw some Scream discs showing up last month. Today, I found a lot of Kino titles and a LOT of Arrow titles.

The bad news is that the pricing is ridiculous. Kino titles are $37.00. Most of the Arrow titles are $47. Scream titles that are $21.99 at amazon are $32.99 at Sunrise. Shame.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #11
Power Member

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
I was at the Sunrise Records at Polo Park in Winnipeg and the good news is that they are now carrying a very good selection of boutique labels discs. I saw some Scream discs showing up last month. Today, I found a lot of Kino titles and a LOT of Arrow titles.

The bad news is that the pricing is ridiculous. Kino titles are $37.00. Most of the Arrow titles are $47. Scream titles that are $21.99 at amazon are $32.99 at Sunrise. Shame.
This info was posted on the Canadian deals thread a few weeks ago. I agree that the pricing is ridiculous. I am willing to pay a little bit more to buy something in store just to support B&M and for the convenience of being able to take it home right there and then, but not $15 more than Amazon.ca, who are also overpriced.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #12

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

So the same prices SR has had for years. I guess the Criterion blu-rays will still be $50 to $60.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
So the same prices SR has had for years. I guess the Criterion blu-rays will still be $50 to $60.
They are not carrying Criterion blu-rays yet. They also are not carrying any Fox titles yet (if you can believe that).
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

It'll be a shame if Sunrise insists on sticking with that pricing, as it'll be one of the things that ends up doing them in. I don't see what's so hard to understand for Canadian retailers that they no longer have a captive market, nor one that's ignorant to pricing in other parts of the world. Government coddling and the Retail Council can't protect them in their efforts to gouge us anymore.

Gonna keep on renting my US mailbox down in Buffalo while these stores keep on spinning their wheels. Even after paying HST on the way back it's saved me a ton on all kinds of merchandise, including a lot of movies.
LG OLED65E6P, Oppo UDP-203 & Denon AVR-X7200WA.
Polk RTiA9 (x2) Front L/R, CSiA6 Center, RTiA5 (x2) Surround L/R, DSW PRO 660 wi Subwoofer
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
Power Member

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
It'll be a shame if Sunrise insists on sticking with that pricing, as it'll be one of the things that ends up doing them in. I don't see what's so hard to understand for Canadian retailers that they no longer have a captive market, nor one that's ignorant to pricing in other parts of the world. Government coddling and the Retail Council can't protect them in their efforts to gouge us anymore.

Gonna keep on renting my US mailbox down in Buffalo while these stores keep on spinning their wheels. Even after paying HST on the way back it's saved me a ton on all kinds of merchandise, including a lot of movies.
The Sunrise I was in had Burnt Offerings for $36.99 plus 11% tax. Kino currently has it on sale for $8.99 USD. I know there's little things like exchange rate and shipping (unless I buy over $100 of product) and possibly customs fees, but still that's a HUGE price discrepancy.

They have to understand that most people who buy older movies on blu-ray are people like us who shop around on websites, hunt down deals, import from abroad, etc. I want them to succeed because I like being able to buy from a B&M store, but they're so out of touch. I had that copy of Burnt Offerings in my hand, I was interested and even if it were, say, $20 I might have considered pulling the trigger but, no, there's no way I could have justified paying damn near $40 and not felt like a sucker.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #16
Power Member

Sep 2011
Barrie, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRochester View Post
The Sunrise I was in had Burnt Offerings for $36.99 plus 11% tax. Kino currently has it on sale for $8.99 USD. I know there's little things like exchange rate and shipping (unless I buy over $100 of product) and possibly customs fees, but still that's a HUGE price discrepancy.

They have to understand that most people who buy older movies on blu-ray are people like us who shop around on websites, hunt down deals, import from abroad, etc. I want them to succeed because I like being able to buy from a B&M store, but they're so out of touch. I had that copy of Burnt Offerings in my hand, I was interested and even if it were, say, $20 I might have considered pulling the trigger but, no, there's no way I could have justified paying damn near $40 and not felt like a sucker.
It's a shame it was my go to place to get Olive, Scream and Kino titles. I've bought a few UHD 4k's there and they are on par or less than Best Buy.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada