Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$28.35
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$61.49
Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Arrival 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Passengers 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2007
SoCal
Default Time Warner Cable and own modem

Hi everyone,

Since Time Warner / Spectrum keeps raising their rates and rental fees, I started looking into getting my own modem. Now there is a list of approved devices on their site and I have read good things about Arris modems, so I am wondering what your experiences are and what equipment you might be using?

I am looking at the SB6190 (which then also requires me to get a WiFi Router - good suggestions on these?) or the SB6183 with built-in WiFi.

Anyone using these?
Life is just a form of animated death.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2015

I've used my own modems/routers with every cable internet company I've used, including TWC. Pretty much can't go wrong with any current gen Arris/Netgear/Linksys. The models listed will be fine. IMO, I like to have both a router and a modem separate - it's easier to change IPs and has better network security.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Hi everyone,

Since Time Warner / Spectrum keeps raising their rates and rental fees, I started looking into getting my own modem. Now there is a list of approved devices on their site and I have read good things about Arris modems, so I am wondering what your experiences are and what equipment you might be using?

I am looking at the SB6190 (which then also requires me to get a WiFi Router - good suggestions on these?) or the SB6183 with built-in WiFi.

Anyone using these?
2 years ago I purchased a Arrias SB6121 modem. It "died" without reason last Wednesday night. I say this in quotations as several folks in my neighborhood also had modems "die" that same night. After a 2 hour service call where the tech replaced every connection in the house and tested a much cheaper quality modem (which worked fine) we both concluded a new modem would be needed but couldn't explain why. During my phone chats the local rep said that they could see my modem attempting to connect but that it just wouldn't for whatever reason.

Previously I had used one of the old Motorola surfboards for over a decade without issue and only got rid of it after deciding to purchase my own. Arrias is owned by Motorola, but I'm assuming they are producing their own products independently. Based on this experience I went out and purchased a motorola MB7220 (since I don't have high end internet this suited my needs, and it was cheap).

Link

This was the slight step up model I would recommend.

Link

I also prefer separate Modems/Routers. I have a slightly older version of the Nighthawk Router featured here and have been very impressed with it.

Link
My 6th Annual Mega Monster Movie Marathon Thread

The BD-R Releases Master List Thread
Recommend a Modern, Independent Horror Film Thread
My 2017 Purchases Thread
My 2017 Watched Films List
Old 04-13-2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Power Member

Aug 2007
SoCal

Thank you all for the input! It's much appreciated.

What are your opinions on Apple Airport Extreme vs a Netgear Router?

I've been using an Airport Express as a WiFi extender in my bedroom and only had good experience with (used a Securifi Almond one before and it just didn't cut it - lost the signal almost every other day and needed resetting all the time)
Life is just a form of animated death.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-13-2017 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:32 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

The sb6190 and 6183 are both just cable modems without a router. I also prefer separate devices rather than combined. Arris/Motorola are excellent

It depends on what download speed you need or expect to need. If you plan to stay at 100 of less, I'd suggest considering a SB6141.

The 6183 will do OK up to 300 and the 6190 up to gigabit speeds.

I was using 6141 for 2-3 yrs with great results. I upgraded to 6183 to handle the bump to 200-300 max local speeds -- it was pretty good, but reset a lot more frequently and wasn't as solid as the 6141.

As far as I'm aware the Airport Extreme should function as your router perfectly. If you have Apple equipment and you're already used to it I can't see why you would want to change. A newer top of the line Netgear might provide a speed boost and maybe a wider coverage swath, but unless you need push the envelope performance I don't think I'd change anything.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat