Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default PBN Montana Mini Monitor Review

This is the place holder for this upcoming review. As many of us have heard the B&W's, Dynaudio's, and Focal speakers of the world - there are other brands that do not have the distribution power of the afore named brands. I have been given the opportunity to try one of these obscure, some might say, esoteric brands.

A thank you goes out to Krelldog1977 for presenting this opportunity to me (although I'm not sure if he has an hidden motive behind this ...like making me fall in love with these speakers ) . The speakers I will be reviewing are the PBN Montana Mini Monitor - which happens to be still in production (retail $1875 a pair - base finish).
They are approximately 14x10x11 and weigh in at a hefty 25lbs each. Drivers are custom by Seas of Norway.

Specs are as follows:
Frequency range: 45 - 30k Hz 3 dB
Impedance: 8 Ohm nominal
Tuning frequency: 48 Hz
Cross-over frequency: 2300 Hz

I will be setting up the speakers in my home, perform some measurements and then I will evaluate them against some other larger bookshelf models and maybe even some floor-standers. I will be powering the Montana Minis with B&K 200/w amp, an Adcom 200w amp, and a QSC 200w amp. Prepros used will be Marantz and Yamaha.

Stay tuned ... more to come......with pics!
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.

Last edited by prerich; 05-08-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-10-2017), Dwayne (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
This is the place holder for this upcoming review. As many of us have heard the B&W's, Dynaudio's, and Focal speakers of the world - there are other brands that do not have the distribution power of the afore named brands. I have been given the opportunity to try one of these obscure, some might say, esoteric brands.

A thank you goes out to Krelldog77 for presenting this opportunity to me (although I'm not sure if he has an hidden motive behind this ...like making me fall in love with these speakers ) . The speakers I will be reviewing are the PBN Montana Mini Monitor - which happens to be still in production (retail $1875 a pair - base finish).
They are approximately 14x10x11 and weigh in at a hefty 25lbs each. Drivers are custom by Seas of Norway.

Specs are as follows:
Frequency range: 45 - 30k Hz 3 dB
Impedance: 8 Ohm nominal
Tuning frequency: 48 Hz
Cross-over frequency: 2300 Hz

I will be setting up the speakers in my home, perform some measurements and then I will evaluate them against some other larger bookshelf models and maybe even some floor-standers. I will be powering the Montana Minis with B&K 200/w amp, an Adcom 200w amp, and a QSC 200w amp. Prepros used will be Marantz and Yamaha.

Stay tuned ... more to come......with pics!

Thanks P ! Enjoy the entertainment and testing, give those 5" drivers a killer workout....

Glad they arrived safely! Talk to ya soon
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2s, SPC-3, M2 monitors, mains: XPS Sigs from '05
Wyred 4 Sound: MMC amplifier and ST-1000mkii
Yamaha CX-A5000 pre/pro. AQ Red River xlr's
Sub: PBN SSW
Player: Oppo UHD-203
TV: Samsung 9000 model ( 2016 )

Last edited by Krelldog1977; 05-09-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Thanks given by:
prerich (05-08-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

Dec 2007

Introducing a few of the opponents for the PBN Mini Monitor

The Legacy Victoria LE
System Type: 3 driver, 2 way, vented
Tweeter: 4" Ribbon diaphragm, neodymium motor
Midwoofer: 6.5" Carbon- filled diaphragm
Woofer: 8" Silver/Graphite diaphragm, cast frame
Sensitivity: 94 dB @ 2.83 Volts/1m.
Frequency response: 49 Hz – 25,000 Hz, +/- 2 dB
Crossover frequency (Hz): 250 Hz – 3,500 Hz
Recommended Amplification: 10 - 300 watts/channel
Impedance: 4 ohms
Dimensions: 12 3/4" W x 12" D x 21 1/2" H
Weight: 46 lbs

The Infinity Overture 1

Frequency range: 35-20000 Hz
Sensitivity: 92dB spl @ 1 m/2.83 V (anechoic conditions)
Impedance: 8 ohms
Maximum Peak Output: 108dB (spl on program)
Amplifier Requirements: Recommended for use with amplifers 10-100 W (@8ohms)
Low Frequency: one 8 inch high efficiency ultra-linear, long-throw, magnetically-shielded soofer
Mid Frequency: Two 4 inch high efficiency, magnetically-shielded, mid-range drivers
High Frequency: One 1 inch soft-dome, high efficiency, neodymium magnet, magnetically-shielded tweeter
Crossover Frequencies: 300- 3000 Hz
Peak Output: 250 VA
Dimensions in inches (W x H x D): 5.7 x 12.5 x 12.5 EA
Weight: 28 lbs each

Wharfedale 9.2

Crossover frequency (kHz) 2.0
Drivers HF: 25mm textile tweeter LF: 165mm Kevlar bass/midrange cone
Frequency response (Hz) 45 - 24,000
Nominal impedance (ohms) 6
Power handling (watts) 20 - 100
Sensitivity (dB) 86
Supplied accessories Removable front grilles
W x H x D (inches) 8.7 x 14.3 x 11.8

For just fun - we will also add the following
Infinity IL60's

Infinity Prelude P-FR's

Polk Audio LSiM 705's

Quad 12L's
(in lue of the B&W CM1's that are no longer available).

Pics and initial observations coming this evening - I'm about to open them up and look at the construction of these fine speakers!

Oh and don't worry - I've got BigL71 to take pictures, his camera is better than mine!
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-10-2017), Krelldog1977 (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 03:00 AM   #4

Dec 2007

Pics of the speakers and I opened it up and revealed the 5 inch driver. These speakers now belong to BigL71...yep - heard them, buying them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minidriver.jpg (89.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg minigrilloff.jpg (92.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg minigrillon.jpg (97.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg minilable.jpg (97.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by prerich; 05-11-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-11-2017), Dwayne (05-11-2017), Krelldog1977 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Thanks for letting me know ................. You've started this thread

BTW: The photos didn't come out
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha ~ Pro-ject ~ Oppo ~ Vincent
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research ~ Light Harmonics ~ acurus ~ Dahlquist
SVS

Last edited by DangeRuss; 05-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post

Thanks for letting me know ................. You've started this thread

BTW: The photos didn't come out

Ahhhh....I had thought it was only my computer acting up! Yeah, let's reveal those pics

How ya doin Russ, hope all is good bud!
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelldog1977 View Post
Ahhhh....I had thought it was only my computer acting up! Yeah, let's reveal those pics

How ya doin Russ, hope all is good bud!
I'm hanging in there my friend .............................

And I see those speakers didn't last long over at VoR's and it seems they were pretty much snatched up as soon as they got there

I'd still like to get a good look at them though
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Old 05-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Ok - I just sent them as attachments as the system doesn't like the url's in Google Photos.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-11-2017), Dwayne (05-11-2017), Krelldog1977 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #9

Dec 2007

Thoughts and initial comments/Montana vs Infinity P-FR:

The Montana's, as you can see are a well built speaker. They don't have the following in the US, but they have a big studio reputation over in Europe!!! The speakers are well damped, and no sense of resonance from the cabinets. This pair is finished in the stock black oak (BigL71 loves black speakers - just like Krelldog1977). I went to the the PBN site to see what other finishes are available and they are too many to count. Customized automotive finishes are also available if I'm not mistaken.

Sound: Warm but detailed. These speaker have a character of Snell speakers. They are also an easy load to drive. I took one night and just listened to some
Brian Culbertson piano (Tonight, tonight) - the piano was articulated very well and imaging was excellent. They are not the Infinity P-FRs...as the Infinity's micro dynamics are greater than the Mini's - but the P-FR's are a full range speaker (the P-FR's resolved a repeating reverb of a sing piano note much clearer than the Montana and the sound stage depth was greater in the P-FR's as well). This is not to slight the Montana...no way no how!!! These little monsters stood up and said "Give me everything you got". So i did.

The Montana did extremely well on the acoustic guitar intro to Autumn Serenade by Kirk Whalum. The strings had just the right bite. Bass extension was excellent for a mini monitor. You could actually forgo a subwoofer with these, but a properly tuned sub helps any system out in my opinion.

The Montana Mini is able to disappear very much like the P-FR's with a huge soundstage width. The mid-range of the Montana Mini is somewhat in-your-face in a good way! It places a lead singer's voice solidly in center without any sense of drift. Highs are clear, clean, but lack little air (and to me - too much air is a bad thing). The sound from the Montana mini is believable, relaxing, and makes you just sit down and enjoy the music - song after song, after song.

If i had a complaint about the Montana - it would be the soundstage depth, it's very good...but not as good as the P-FR's. As a matter of fact - i haven't heard a speaker yet out side of Tidal Pianos and maybe the Scaena's that have soundstage depth like the Infinity P-FR's - So I'm a little spoiled.

The comparison of the P-FR to the Montana mini was ....well unfair, as the P-FR did everything the Montana could do...just better - as it should. I will begin the week of the 22nd, comparing the Montana to other mini monitors and monitor speakers.

Next Challenger - Montana Mini vs Infinity Overture 1.

Last edited by prerich; 05-15-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (05-15-2017), Dwayne (05-15-2017), Krelldog1977 (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

May 2009

Quote:
Thoughts and initial comments/Montana vs Infinity P-FR:

The Montana's, as you can see are a well built speaker. They don't have the following in the US, but they have a big studio reputation over in Europe!!! The speakers are well damped, and no sense of resonance from the cabinets. This pair is finished in the stock black oak (BigL71 loves black speakers - just like Krelldog1977). I went to the the PBN site to see what other finishes are available and they are too many to count. Customized automotive finishes are also available if I'm not mistaken.

Sound: Warm but detailed. These speaker have a character of Snell speakers. They are also an easy load to drive. I took one night and just listened to some
Brian Culbertson piano (Tonight, tonight) - the piano was articulated very well and imaging was excellent. They are not the Infinity P-FRs...as the Infinity's micro dynamics are greater than the Mini's - but the P-FR's are a full range speaker (the P-FR's resolved a repeating reverb of a sing piano note much clearer than the Montana and the sound stage depth was greater in the P-FR's as well). This is not to slight the Montana...no way no how!!! These little monster stood up and said "Give me everything you got". So i did.

The Montana did extreme well on the acoustic guitar intro to Autumn Serenade by Kirk Whalum. The strings had just the right bite. Bass extension was excellent for a mini monitor. You could actually forgo a subwoofer with these, but a properly tuned sub helps any system out in my opinion.

The Montana Mini is able to disappear very much like the P-FR's with a huge soundstage width. The mid-range of the Montana Mini is somewhat in-your-face in a good way! It places a lead singer's voice solidly in center without any sense of drift. Highs are clear, clean, but lack little air (and to me - too much air is a bad thing). The sound from the Montana mini is believable, relaxing, and makes you just sit down and enjoy the music - song after song, after song.

If i had a complaint about the Montana - it would be the soundstage depth, it's very good...but not as good as the P-FR's. As a matter of fact - i haven't heard a speaker yet out side of Tidal Pianos and maybe the Scaena's that have soundstage depth like the Infinity P-FR's - So I'm a little spoiled.

The comparison of the P-FR to the Montana mini was ....well unfair, as the P-FR did everything the Montana could do...just better - as it should. I will begin the week of the 22nd, comparing the Montana to other mini monitors and monitor speakers.

Next Challenger - Montana Mini vs Infinity Overture 1.

Excellent review bro! Sounds like you'll be in for a busy summer!

Glad to hear that those mini's perform bigger than they look! Looking forward to the ongoing reviews

Bri
Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #11

Dec 2007

Quote:
Excellent review bro! Sounds like you'll be in for a busy summer!

Glad to hear that those mini's perform bigger than they look! Looking forward to the ongoing reviews

Bri
I think that's what sold BigL71, he was shocked at how big they performed (not to mention myself)! PBN chose a good company to source their drivers from (and the drivers are customized for them - not off the shelf).

They also put me in mind of Dynaudio's (they're actually configured similar to the Contour 1.4. (Dynaudio Esostar tweeter digs lower - however that could just mean that the Scanspeak midbass driver could run higher - making it an easier load to driver - the Contours are 4 ohm and the Mini's are 8 ohm - the mini's also have better sensitivity than the Contours as well).
Thanks given by:
Krelldog1977 (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
I think that's what sold BigL71, he was shocked at how big they performed (not to mention myself)! PBN chose a good company to source their drivers from (and the drivers are customized for them - not off the shelf).
I wonder if we'll ever read the words from BigL71 himself and see how he feels about the monitors

Where does he have them set up ?

Quote:
They also put me in mind of Dynaudio's (they're actually configured similar to the Contour 1.4. (Dynaudio Esostar tweeter digs lower - however that could just mean that the Scanspeak midbass driver could run higher - making it an easier load to driver - the Contours are 4 ohm and the Mini's are 8 ohm - the mini's also have better sensitivity than the Contours as well).
Are you considering have the towers down for a review ?
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #13

May 2009

Quote:

I'm still shocked at these M2 monitors.....they offer a 7" driver vs the mini's 5", and honestly present a soundstage larger than most tower's I've owned....about double that of the Mini's.

I'd rather see a friend utilize the speakers than have them sit unused.....if a speaker is stored away for a long period of time it may negatively affect the qualities of the sound produced....

The pair has a very poor WAF which is why some buddies here can't use them....but the same is not such in every household!
B

Last edited by Krelldog1977; 06-23-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #14

May 2009

Quote:
I wonder if we'll ever read the words from BigL71 himself and see how he feels about the monitors

That's true, how do you like those little monitors BigL? If you really liked the mini's then you'll go nutz over the EPS2's. I'm trying to get them south to Prerich for analysis and review, but shipping is out of the question.

look how big the XPS SIGs were upon arrival! :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2054.jpg (95.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #15

Dec 2007

Quote:

Are you considering have the towers down for a review ?
I gotta get BigL active in posting - Dude is quiet - big and tall but quiet! He's real cool. He's got time to post now (currently disabled for a while). Probrably too busy listening to music! I got him hooked on audio. He used to be a DJ years ago like myself.

He has to buy some stands for the monitors but for now he has them on top of his subs. I'm going to give him a couple of mini stands to put them on until he gets his permanent ones.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #16

Dec 2007

Ok fellas, I just sent him a text asking him to respond !!!!
He's my BFF down here, you'll probably hear from hear today!
Old 05-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #17

Dec 2007

Quote:
That's true, how do you like those little monitors BigL? If you really liked the mini's then you'll go nutz over the EPS2's. I'm trying to get them south to Prerich for analysis and review, but shipping is out of the question.

look how big the XPS SIGs were upon arrival! :
W.O.W.!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #18
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
I'm still shocked at these M2 monitors.....they offer a 7" driver vs the mini's 5", and honestly present a soundstage larger than most tower's I've owned....about double that of the Mini's.
Before embarking on your PBN quest for perfection, what other brands of speakers have you owned ?...................

Quote:
If I end up not using the EPS2's, I'd love to somehow get them to you for testing, if you are interested. I know DangeRuss is only a half hour away from me,...perhaps he'd like to borrow them and create his own review....
Are you kidding ........................ But even being just a 1/2 hour away, I know moving and setting them up here would prove to be a monumental task . It's a good thing my elevators are rated for up to 2500 lbs.

Maybe we could get SunnyDee!!!!!!!!!! to come up to assist

Quote:
I'd rather see a friend utilize the speakers than have them sit unused.....if a speaker is stored away for a long period of time it may negatively affect the qualities of the sound produced....
Well ..................................

If it's gonna cause you any distress to keep them up there

Quote:
The pair has a very poor WAF which is why some buddies here can't use them....but the same is not such in every household!
B
And here I am .......................... living alone with no acceptance factor necessary

Quote:
I gotta get BigL active in posting - Dude is quiet - big and tall but quiet! He's real cool. He's got time to post now (currently disabled for a while). Probrably too busy listening to music! I got him hooked on audio. He used to be a DJ years ago like myself.
I have a close friend like that here (CrazDogg) ......... I had to virtually, setup his page, take the photos for his original gallery, prod, poke and beg him to post here. And when he does ......... It's usually less than 5 words

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=175396

Quote:
He has to buy some stands for the monitors but for now he has them on top of his subs. I'm going to give him a couple of mini stands to put them on until he gets his permanent ones.
So he'll be running a separate stereo system in the same room ?

Quote:
Ok fellas, I just sent him a text asking him to respond !!!!
He's my BFF down here, you'll probably hear from hear today!

Quote:
W.O.W.!!!!!!!!
Ain't that the truth ................................
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Thanks given by:
Krelldog1977 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #19

Dec 2007

Russ, if you know like I know - you'd take this opprotunity to stretch your reviewers wings!!! 30 minutes away?!!!! EPS2's are $10k a pair my brother!!!! Jump on this opprotunity - be warned however - Krelldog1977 is an agent of the Sith . He gets these wonderful speakers to reviewers and they wind up not being able to live without them.... once you have tasted - you will never go back.....you have been warned.
Thanks given by:
Krelldog1977 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #20
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Russ, if you know like I know - you'd take this opprotunity to stretch your reviewers wings!!! 30 minutes away?!!!! EPS2's are $10k a pair my brother!!!!
I'm well aware of the insane opportunity being afforded to me

And that's just it ........................ First off ..... I wouldn't know which system to install them in ......... (probably the 19 x 12 living room) but that would throw my whole home theater off and render it useless for movies . Then I think the (13.5 x 10.25 Parlor) or (12.5 x 11.5 office) would be too small for those monstrosities

Quote:
Jump on this opprotunity - be warned however - Krelldog1977 is an agent of the Sith . He gets these wonderful speakers to reviewers and they wind up not being able to live without them.... once you have tasted - you will never go back.....you have been warned.
And that my friend, is the biggest worry of them all ............... What if I get spoiled, fall in love and never want to give them back

Who knows .................... Maybe I won't have enough power to do them justice ..................

I'm so confused ..................
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
SVS
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers