Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 4K (Blu-ray)
€21.90
20 hrs ago
Double Indemnity (Blu-ray)
€8.50
7 hrs ago
The Shape of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
€21.90
19 hrs ago
Transformers: The Last Knight (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Doctor Strange (Blu-ray)
€12.04

Atomic Blonde (Blu-ray)
€12.98

Star Wars: Original Trilogy (Blu-ray)
€24.94
20 hrs ago
A Family Man (Blu-ray)
€8.62
21 min ago
Star Wars: The Saga (Blu-ray)
€49.88

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy (Blu-ray)
€24.99

Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
€10.13
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 05-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #1

Nov 2010
Canada
France EXTE (Sion Sono) - HK Video

I just wrote a review of this world-exclusive blu-ray release of Hair Extensions, one of my favourite films by Sion Sono (my favourite filmmaker).

Unfortunately, it's not English-friendly. But the PQ is great. So hopefully it'll make it to the US/UK eventually. I'm not sure what its chances are. I asked Third Window and they said another company has the UK rights, so that's discouraging, I don't think that other company's planning to do anything with it. In the US, I don't know, maybe the rights are still with Tokyo Shock and it's the same story. Well, speaking more optimistically, this is a horror-comedy film, which Sono's said is more inspired by American genre films than Japanese ones. He's cited "Return of the Living Dead" as a personal favourite. So I think if Scream Factory or Arrow could acquire it, it would fit in well with their other releases, and I imagine it would sell, too. Well, here's hoping.

But anyway, I highly recommend this French release to anyone who understands French or Japanese. It comes in an attractive limited edition digi-pak, and the price just dropped again on Amazon.

This company, HK Video, has a couple other exclusive Japanese titles: notably Takashi Miike's "The Great Yokai War", and Hideo Gosha's "The Wolves". So that might be of interest to people.

MY FAVOURITE FILMS: http://www.imdb.com/list/Bw65XZIpkH8/
OTHER THINGS YOU CAN LOOK AT IF YOU WANT:
[Show spoiler]
MY FAVOURITE BLU-RAYS: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/lis...=140794&id=600
MY MOST WANTED MOVIES ON BLU-RAY: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/lis...140794&id=2508
MY JAPANESE CRITERION BLU-RAY RECOMMENDATIONS: https://www.criterion.com/lists/1462...-japan-blu-ray
MY IMDB PROFILE (WITH MORE LISTS OF THINGS!!!): http://www.imdb.com/user/ur6891805/

Last edited by Grethiwha; 05-20-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (10-10-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #2

Nov 2009

I recently picked this up and it is indeed a great package. HK Vidéo aren't as prolific as they were during the DVD era, but they still put out the odd quality release of hard-to-find films. I can also wholeheartedly recommend their release of Gosha's The Wolves, which you mentioned and pictured above. Tremendous film in a beautiful edition. Alas, the licenses all seem to be tied to the French speaking market only, as they were in the DVD era. French subs only, and often forced by licensing agreements on the original language tracks.

I'm glad they exist and do what they can to make these films available in some fashion. Highly recommended for those who speak French and those willing and able to work around it.
Thanks given by:
Grethiwha (05-25-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Banned

Sep 2010
France

They actually are quite hit and miss on BD.

Their Once upon a Time in China boxset is made of upscales (and the 2nd movie has the original language in DTS 2.0 instead of DTS HD MA), most of their Jackie Chan titles are upscales too, and the 68 version of The Great Yokai War is an absolute nightmare of interlacing.

The Wolves is probably their best technical presentation, but there sadly aren't many other HKV catalogue BDs which are as good as this one.

Exte and Love Exposure are fine, keeping in mind that their photography is quite dull and the details are limited.
Thanks given by:
John_Drake (06-02-2017), Liersi (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #4

Nov 2009

That's saddening to hear, thanks tenia.

They used to put out quite a few classic HK films in lavish editions on DVD way back when. Some of these were the best in the world at the time, and quite unique. Original mono, remastered. Up until MoC released their BD, the old HKV DVD of Drunken Master was the best version with a complete Cantonese mono track I believe. Then at some point, iirc, it all changed and they started putting out the standard Fortune Star material with altered and downmixed soundtracks instead of their own source. Pity. I wonder what happened.

Anyway, it's nice to see they still do their own thing successfully from time to time and release the odd unreleased title.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Banned

Sep 2010
France

They were extremely good and prolific on DVD yes, but I suppose that it was much cheaper for them to do good made-for-DVD restorations than HD ones, and they sadly never had the increase of budget to do so. It also seems they don't have enough budget to license new restorations, which seems weirder however : everybody seems to be able to, but not HKV.

I wish they would focus on new titles because of this. They usually put out nice releases of contemporary titles, so if they can't do catalogue titles so well, that would be a good alternative.
Thanks given by:
Liersi (05-30-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
The Wolves is probably their best technical presentation, but there sadly aren't many other HKV catalogue BDs which are as good as this one.
I was considering ordering The Wolves--are the subs forced?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

May 2013
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post
I was considering ordering The Wolves--are the subs forced?
Just received my copy today, i check and yes subs are forced.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

I hope it makes it to the UK too. Lack of English makes it hard. I have the DVD so I guess I could do my own. Lot of work though.

Wonder of Suicide Club will ever show up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France