Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #61
Expert Member

Apr 2010

Austraia is a PAL region, and the show probably ran there as part of the deal they made for shooting it there.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #62

Mar 2010
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
I think the show will hit Blu-Ray despite it never can reach 1080P but they will not be in a hurry.

So I guess in 3 or more years we will recieve our BDs.

As a sidenote: There is a German company checking if they will release "The Peacekeeper Wars" on BD.
I'll inform you if they definatley announce it.
That would be worth it to watch the "worm hole weapon" sequence alone.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #63
Expert Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Sun View Post
That would be worth it to watch the "worm hole weapon" sequence alone.
Are you refering to a CGI shot?
Than I'll have to dissapoint you cause all the CGI for the show and "The Peacekeeper Wars" were done in SD resolution.
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Old 07-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #64
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Purcell View Post
Babylon 5 doesn't seem likely, as the CG would all have to be redone (as I assume it was all mastered at 420p when it was made. Like Farscape.)

Oh, and the real Battlestar Galactica is already on Blu.
Well, the one thing going for B5 was thay they filmed the live-action segments in 16:9 in preparation for widescreen TVs that were just starting to make an appearance in the mid-'90s. But the effects were rendeered in SD and at just 4:3, that's why some shots on the DVDs had to be cropped to fit the 4:3 image into a 16:9 anamorphic frame. Mainly by cropping the top and bottom on the frame, which is ass-backwards from what cropping usually curtails.

That said, I'd love for B5 to be remastered (ala ST:TOS) and be presented on BD. Replace all those old '90s video toaster CG graphics with modern renderings ala nuBattlestar. And yes, the real BSG is already on BD. And this is from someone who owns the original BSG set on DVD. Quite frankly, every time I tr to watch one of those old episodes, it just makes me wanna put on the new show instead. There's several original episodes that have their nuBSG counterpart, or at least similar plot points.
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #65

Mar 2010
England

Quote:
Are you refering to a CGI shot?
Than I'll have to dissapoint you cause all the CGI for the show and "The Peacekeeper Wars" were done in SD resolution.
Oh bugger!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #66
Expert Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln6Echo View Post
Well, the one thing going for B5 was thay they filmed the live-action segments in 16:9 in preparation for widescreen TVs that were just starting to make an appearance in the mid-'90s. But the effects were rendeered in SD and at just 4:3, that's why some shots on the DVDs had to be cropped to fit the 4:3 image into a 16:9 anamorphic frame. Mainly by cropping the top and bottom on the frame, which is ass-backwards from what cropping usually curtails.

That said, I'd love for B5 to be remastered (ala ST:TOS) and be presented on BD. Replace all those old '90s video toaster CG graphics with modern renderings ala nuBattlestar. And yes, the real BSG is already on BD. And this is from someone who owns the original BSG set on DVD. Quite frankly, every time I tr to watch one of those old episodes, it just makes me wanna put on the new show instead. There's several original episodes that have their nuBSG counterpart, or at least similar plot points.
I also hope they will redo the SFX for B5.
I just feed my hope with the knowledge that the DVDs sold very well and that the possibility of a motion picture still floats around.
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #67

Mar 2010
England

I'd happily trade in my "B5 Complete Universe DVD box set" for a "B5 Complete Universe BD box set" with remastered CGI.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #68

Mar 2010
Netherlands

Firefly was a blast to watch on blu-ray despite the SD special effects sequences. I consider it unlikely that anyone will cough up the cash to redo all the FX of shows like Farscape and B5, but that shouldn't preclude the possibility of a blu-ray release of these shows.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #69
Expert Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristide Massaccesi View Post
Firefly was a blast to watch on blu-ray despite the SD special effects sequences. I consider it unlikely that anyone will cough up the cash to redo all the FX of shows like Farscape and B5, but that shouldn't preclude the possibility of a blu-ray release of these shows.
Yeah you're right.
I'm totally satisfied with the "Firefly" Blu-Ray and I wouldn't expect new CGI for "Farscpae" but if it get's released I definateley buy the BDs.

As for B5: Maybe I would buy anyway but the SFX are much much weaker than the "Farscape" ones.
And unlike the real scenes of B5 which are shot in 16:9 format, the SFX are only in 4:3 and thererfore were cropped for the DVDs which further hurt the image quality.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #70
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
London, UK

Quote:
Really?
That's great news!
That means that the Seasons are theoretically FullHD (and above) compatible!

I looked up the information again and you're right I remebered it wrong.
It ws shot on 35mm but it isn't sure if the material still exists in good condition:
http://www.timtoon.com/2009/11/07/fa...d-in-high-def/

The company MIG Film GmbH states that their problem is that the CGI arfe in SD resolution and that they are testing the material and decide in a few weeks wether or not they will release the miniseries / TV movie on BD.
It's the same problem that most of these shows face - I don't think anything is actually shot in PAL (or NTSC) video, at least in the last 20 years or something. The only things I know of are a few British TV shows, things like old Doctor Who and Fawlty Towers and maybe some animated shows. Maybe some sitcoms that I don't know of, but I can't imagine any have been since the 80s - they are (or were) commonly are shot on film and then mastered with the SFX on video, so for BD can either do the Firefly route and upconvert the effects shots, or redo them entirely in HD, like with Star Trek TOS (although, that never used video at all).

I've not yet seen Firefly on BD, and haven't seen it on DVD in ages, but from what I recall there weren't a HUGE amount of effects shots, or particularly detailed ones, so I think that maybe some shows like STTNG and Farscape would look worse, if they just did the upconvert. than Firefly did. Of course, If they do have the original film masters then that would be better than nothing, I just think that Firefly is even more of a cult series than some shows in a similar position HD-wise, and thus even less likely to ever get a release. X-Files, STTNG, and Buffy would make a lot more money. I for one would love DS9, for my money the pinnacle of the Star Trek franchise, to get a release, with those amazing space battle scenes redone in HD, but I think that's about as likely as a Farscape release! (but who knows, at least Star Trek has the huge studio of Paramount to pimp them out, not so much with Farscape).
Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #71

Dec 2010
U.K.
Default They Need To Do That

I agree. Maybe we can expect sometime in 2013 or something cos they just released a huge dvd boxset
Ash nazg dubatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #72
Database admin

Dec 2008
Europe, PT, Porto
-
-
Germany The Peacekeeper Wars

Quote:
I only refered to "The Peacekeeper Wars".
And what do you mean by "unlikely to happen" I thought it was IMPOSSIBLE cause the show was shot in PAL resolution...
Farscape - The Peacekeeper Wars
--------------------------
Apprentice of Everythings, Master of Nothings
Theater is Life, Cinema is Art, TV is Furniture
Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #73
Expert Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Thanx!
Just pre-ordered it.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #74

Jan 2010
Default Subtitles?

The only thing that might persuade me to upgrade from my DVD set is if the Blu-Ray set has honest-to-goodness subtitles. I have not been able to access the ostensible closed captions on my DVD set from either my DVD or my Blu-Ray player, and have to crank up the volume to uncomfortable levels to hear what folks are saying.

Any word on real subtitles on the Blu-Rays.... please?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #75
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibliomike View Post
The only thing that might persuade me to upgrade from my DVD set is if the Blu-Ray set has honest-to-goodness subtitles. I have not been able to access the ostensible closed captions on my DVD set from either my DVD or my Blu-Ray player, and have to crank up the volume to uncomfortable levels to hear what folks are saying.
+1

If it has English I will purchase it, if not, I won't buy it anymore. Bought the complete set last year on DVD without subs and as you said, you have to push up the volume way up...
Each day I have to have a dose of SF

My Blu Ray Collection

SF Series And Movies.com
Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #76
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Sun View Post
I'd happily trade in my "B5 Complete Universe DVD box set" for a "B5 Complete Universe BD box set" with remastered CGI.

Definately!
Each day I have to have a dose of SF

My Blu Ray Collection

SF Series And Movies.com
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #77

Feb 2012
Default Farscape Peacekeeper Wars BluRay Region Free?

Has anyone found a region free BluRay of Peacekeeper Wars out there? I had such a problem with the voice difference for Pilot because of the speed difference so I really want an import that's Region Free. The one listed above is marked as region B.

Myst
Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #78
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

It's simply not been released on Blu-ray. Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was produced by Lionsgate Films and they simply haven't listed this on their release schedule. It's simply not a priority for the studio.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #79

Nov 2012
Taylor, Michigan

Is there anything new on Peacekeeper wars for blu ray? I bought all 4 seasons on blu ray for one of amazon's deal of the weeks, and I just finished the last episode yesterday and bought peacekeeper wars on dvd, but I'd sure like to complete my set with a blu ray copy.
And I don't want the german release.

This is the worst part about collecting blu rays. When a series of movies or shows have some blu ray versions and some not, forcing you to stick those out of place dvds in with your blu ray collection.
Whatever, I can't wait to see how Farscape ends! Hopefully Peacekeeper Wars get a blu ray release soon!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America