Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Duel in the Sun (Roadshow Edit… $13.33 (3 hours left)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
South Park: The Complete Twentieth Season (Blu-ray)
C$16.99
Trance (Blu-ray)
C$4.99
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
C$10.99
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
C$24.99
The Fate of the Furious (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
Moana (Blu-ray)
C$17.96
Fantastic Four / Fantastic Four 2 Rise of the Silver Surfer (Blu-ray)
C$8.00
The Lion King (Blu-ray)
C$17.96
Fifty Shades Freed (Blu-ray)
C$19.96
Bambi (Blu-ray)
C$17.96
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
C$22.83
Ichi the Killer (Blu-ray)
C$16.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 09-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #1

Feb 2014
Default First BB, now Walmart Canada, apparently

So, my one of our local Walmarts was one of about a dozen pilot stores across Canada to be renovated to its 'New Shopping Experience'... Completed the renovation to its electronics department this week and I must say, I'm very disappointed in the outcome.

This is one of the largest and highest-volume Walmarts in Canada and they went from four full rows of movies at 7' high pre-renovation to 1/2 half row at 4' high post-renovation. Don't bother doing the math, I've already done it. That's a reduction in inventory of over 90%.

Spoke to the department manager (who I know as bit of a film buff) and he advised that the move is intended to keep store inventory at only the top 50 to 60 titles in movies and TV shows at any time (allowing for a few different formats of each). There will still be some promo displays for discounted items periodically (i.e boxing day).

Guess the Walmart movie section will soon look like Best Buy's after their recent down-sizing of their in-store media sections.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

This makes a tremendous amount of sense, at least from their standpoint. It might suck for you, but they're not running a charity, and in reality, they can only devote store space to inventory that's gonna make them money.

They heyday of physical media was over 10 years ago -- the world is moving on, and we'll see this reflected more and more at brick and mortar locations.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
This makes a tremendous amount of sense, at least from their standpoint. It might suck for you, but they're not running a charity, and in reality, they can only devote store space to inventory that's gonna make them money.

They heyday of physical media was over 10 years ago -- the world is moving on, and we'll see this reflected more and more at brick and mortar locations.

Oh, I understand it very well, probably better than most, in fact... I used to be a buyer for one of Canada's largest fashion retailers and I managed the placement of certain lines to over 600 stores.

I'm actually surprised it took them this long as I suspect that they actually send back and sell to wholesalers a whole lot more inventory that they move. I'm just suggesting that one more source for those of us still in the physical media game appears to be getting out of the game.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #4

Apr 2012
Rimouski, Quebec
Send a message via MSN to NewtJorden

Quote:

Well not for me. If physical media ever dissapeared, it will be the end of buying movies for me.
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (09-14-2017), El_Fez (09-15-2017), ImAWalkingCorpse (09-18-2017), ivanlee13 (10-10-2017), jawsfan1975 (09-19-2017), JoeDeM (09-27-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoguy33 View Post
So, my one of our local Walmarts was one of about a dozen pilot stores across Canada to be renovated to its 'New Shopping Experience'... Completed the renovation to its electronics department this week and I must say, I'm very disappointed in the outcome.

This is one of the largest and highest-volume Walmarts in Canada and they went from four full rows of movies at 7' high pre-renovation to 1/2 half row at 4' high post-renovation. Don't bother doing the math, I've already done it. That's a reduction in inventory of over 90%.
My local WM gutted it's blu-ray selection years ago so I will not notice the difference. Not that I go there any more.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Power Member

Jun 2014
Canada

No big deal IMO.

Personally for me I just use Diabolik, Arrow UK, or Amazon.ca

Really the only time I've ever bought blu-rays at Walmart is if I'm buying a film or a season of a TV show for the wife.

And that's only because our Walmart is in a mall across the street from our apartment. If I didn't have that "across the road convenience", I'd just use Amazon.

Last edited by takeasneededforpain; 09-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Sep 2016
Michigan USA

My Best Buy and Walmart (2 of them) have drastically reduced the selection. So they want to sell only new movies that are big sellers. Most of mine from my collection are from online. That's because I never find crap at BB or Walmart to begin with. If those stores had a selection, I would've bought from them mostly.

I wonder if that will effect the Home media sales. If all they carry is certain new titles.
The Serious Film Collector and Supporter of
Wishlist
Frostbiter: Wraith of the Wendigo, Sundown a Vampire in retreat, There's Nothing out there, Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3, The Brain, The Keep, Necronomicon, Dust Devil, Stay Tuned, 976 Evil 2, Cast A Deadly Spell, Witch Hunt, Monster In The Closet, The Applegates, Mikey, Blood salvage, Lunatics A Love Story, Transmutations, Project Metalbeast.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Power Member

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:

The heyday in brick and mortar stores for many things was over 10 years ago or more. Has very little to do with the popularity of a given product. Looking at this in a bubble is unwise. The retail landscape has changed significantly with the advent of the Internet and online shopping. If the world is moving on to anything it's selling certain types products more exclusively online, especially products which were never sold much above cost to begin with.

Brick and mortar stores have a much stronger focus now on product offerings where there is intrinsic value in being able to physical see, touch, hear and evaluate the given product, because they know otherwise the given product can just as easily be purchased online instead. Physical media in general has always been a way for retailers to draw customers in to their stores in the hopes they'll make additional purchases while they are there. Times have changed though. The way customers purchase certain products have changed. Should be no surprise to anyone that less and less floor space in brick and mortar stores is dedicated to physical media with the exception of new releases and some filler.

My main point here is that the advent of the Internet and online purchasing is the driving factor in why we see less in the way of physical media available for purchase in brick and mortar stores. Take digital downloads and streaming out of the picture and I don't see anything being any different. It doesn't matter how much floor space a brick and mortar store dedicates to physical media. The library of physical media titles available is so vast that it makes no sense for customers to limit themselves when the entire media catalog is available to browse and purchase online with the point and click of a mouse. Having experience in the retail environment I can also tell you that offering physical media for purchase online also helps reduce shrink which is always a good thing. There are far less DVD's and Blu-ray's being stolen now that the volume and selection in-store has been reduced, primarily limited to new releases and some filler.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 09-14-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
My main point here is that the advent of the Internet and online purchasing is the driving factor in why we see less in the way of physical media available for purchase in brick and mortar stores.
If that was the whole story then the online selection of WM and BB of blu-rays would be great instead of the poor it actually is.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

What kills me about these kind of renovations is that even afterwards, the floor space is hardly being used very efficiently. And Best Buy chooses to focus on televisions, appliances, smart home stuff, etc... but all of those items can often be purchased at better prices elsewhere. Never have a I set foot in a Best Buy looking for any of these items. I did buy my most recent TV from Best Buy on their boxing day sale, but I didn't actually go to a store to do so. Whether you buy in store or order online, it's delivered the same. For items like movies, though, I like to browse and buy in person. The exploration of titles is half the point.

While I do agree that the floor space used for Blu-rays and DVDs pre-reno tended to be way too much, that's more on stores like BB and Walmart and their choice of shelving and layout than anything else. Tiny hole-in-the-wall stores that have less than half the floor space of an olden days BB blu-ray section (Cinema 1, Bay Street Video) manage to offer thousands of catalog titles as well as new releases. There's really no reason that BB couldn't devote a small corner of select stores to movies and really pack inventory into extremely efficient shelving.

Getting rid of movies won't save brick & mortar stores like BB and Walmart. It'll lose them some customers, though, that much is guaranteed. Reorganizing to store them more efficiently would've been the better move. At least they're still stocking brand new releases on day 1, but unless you go in the first few days even those won't be guaranteed easy to find.

Personally, I think the future of disc sales belongs to the smaller specialty shops, as well as online sellers (both small and large).
LG OLED65E6P, Oppo UDP-203 & Denon AVR-X7200WA.
Polk RTiA9 (x2) Front L/R, CSiA6 Center, RTiA5 (x2) Surround L/R, DSW PRO 660 wi Subwoofer

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 09-15-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
Power Member

Oct 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtJorden View Post
Well not for me. If physical media ever dissapeared, it will be the end of buying movies for me.
My thoughts exactly. I will never buy something that I cannot hold in my hands.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Any Wal-Mart I have been too was already as bad or even worse than Best Buy so honestly it is more that you were lucky to find a Wal-Mart that had a large section (Even then I am sure it was quantity of recent big summer blockbusters and hardly filled with shelves of catalog titles, Shout, Criterion etc.) than it is a new change in direction for them. HMV were the only good retail store for Blu-ray and they are gone so might as well just get used to it. Amazon.ca will be the only place to find most titles without importing and it is clear they know they are alone and don't need to worry about pricing.

Plus who in their right mind wants to step foot in a Wal-Mart anyway? The rare times they have an exclusive I want I put on a hazmat suit, run to the electronics section and get out as fast as I can.
🎮 XBL: xHAYA8U5Ax 🎮 PSN: Hayabusa85 🎮 Wii U: Hayabusa85 🎮

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 09-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:46 PM   #13

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Amazon.ca will be the only place to find most titles without importing and it is clear they know they are alone and don't need to worry about pricing.
You do not need to import from Zeus Online.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jun 2015
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa85 View Post
Any Wal-Mart I have been too was already as bad or even worse than Best Buy so honestly it is more that you were lucky to find a Wal-Mart that had a large section (Even then I am sure it was quantity of recent big summer blockbusters and hardly filled with shelves of catalog titles, Shout, Criterion etc.) than it is a new change in direction for them. HMV were the only good retail store for Blu-ray and they are gone so might as well just get used to it. Amazon.ca will be the only place to find most titles without importing and it is clear they know they are alone and don't need to worry about pricing.

Plus who in their right mind wants to step foot in a Wal-Mart anyway? The rare times they have an exclusive I want I put on a hazmat suit, run to the electronics section and get out as fast as I can.
I agree with all of this.

What first struck me about Wally World about 4 years ago was the switch to carrying far more dvd titles than Blu. I queried why and the lad running that dept said "it's what people want, most of our customers are satisfied with dvd over the more expensive Blu-rays".
Now, even that selection is paltry (not that I overly care).
The BBs in my city have tiny corner nooks with dvds, Blus and 4k of only current (2 years old max) titles.
As mentioned, Amazon has cornered the domestic market it seems and their Canadian prices (even on sale) reflect that. Which frustrates me when comparing American sale prices, something I do only to see if importing from U.S. is viable, as import and custom fees, especially on large box-sets usually eats up any savings.
I too am a lover of physical media and I enjoy the ability to literally search the planet for a particular title or version of a title (of course I'm region fee). Now whether my purchasing habits have fed the demise of brick and mortar or the demise of brick and mortar has instigated my purchasing habits is a chicken-egg thing. As for online streaming and software, nope, not interested.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:00 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

It's sad for sure but I have strictly been buying discs from Amazon.ca since 08 and haven't looked back.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jun 2015
Great White North

I realize this is but stopped into Wally World today to pick up something specific.
Cruised by the dvd dept hoping they would have their typical Halloween displays of creepy fliks and maybe pick up a 'special' of some sort.
NOTHING.
No display, no temp shelves lined with spooky-tooths. nada.
Soooo, I asked one of the clerks if perhaps it's still too early (though the Halloween decorations, costumes and candies are 3 aisles deep) and she said "that they probably would not be setting anything special up this year but maybe check back in early October".
What they did have for movies on display would practically all fit in my closet.
Well, I will drop in quickly in early October just on a lark but not exactly beside myself with anticipation.
Tomorrow I'll scope BB.
Cheers!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
I realize this is but stopped into Wally World today to pick up something specific.
Cruised by the dvd dept hoping they would have their typical Halloween displays of creepy fliks and maybe pick up a 'special' of some sort.
NOTHING.
No display, no temp shelves lined with spooky-tooths. nada.
Soooo, I asked one of the clerks if perhaps it's still too early (though the Halloween decorations, costumes and candies are 3 aisles deep) and she said "that they probably would not be setting anything special up this year but maybe check back in early October".
What they did have for movies on display would practically all fit in my closet.
Well, I will drop in quickly in early October just on a lark but not exactly beside myself with anticipation.
Tomorrow I'll scope BB.
Cheers!
Best Buy had a small display for Halloween when I was there over the weekend. It was pretty much crap though. They even had Daredevil S2 and Jessica Jones in the display which was really confusing since those are definitely not horror.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (09-23-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:18 AM   #18
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

While I'd come to mostly accept Best Buy's misguided logic regarding the downsizing of their media section, they at least remained an option to get the newest 4K and Blu-ray releases on release week. Fortunately there still several good options for acquiring catalog releases, so the dreaded renovation and accompanying downsizing isn't exactly a huge loss for me (especially as I rent a US mailbox and order online from the US frequently).

However, I stopped in to the Best Buy near my work (Sherway location in Etobicoke, Ontario.. so not exactly in the middle of nowhere) this Tuesday and discovered that Best Buy can indeed aim even lower when it comes to movies. This was around 1:30 in the afternoon on Tuesday. Just a few hours into release day, the store had zero copies of the regular 4K/BD version of Transformers: The Last Knight... this week's sole new (blockbuster) release. There were a couple of the 4K Steelbooks, but I wanted the regular edition because I intend to add the 3-D Blu-Ray disc to the set later on after I purchase it, and obviously Steelbooks aren't expandable. What's more, the movie section had been shuffled around and diminished even further... previously there had been a pair of freestanding double-sided display shelves which were typically reserved for additional copies of new releases as well as recent 4K releases... those were now gone, replaced by empty floor space.

For whatever reason, this time, rather than just shrug my shoulders, I finally got a little bit annoyed at the situation, which is now deterioriating noticeably almost from one week to the next.

Is it really that hard to offer copies of the week's new releases on the freaking day they come out? I made my displeasure known to the most senior person available, and was directed to Best Buy's website where the movie can be ordered online. But I'm in the store now... it's release day... why are there no copies of this brand new film? Also, I don't really want to wait the few days that'll take, on top of paying for shipping. Nor do I want to receive a copy with a mangled slipcover, which is more than likely when dealing with Best Buy and Canada Post.

So I went to the Walmart next door and, lo and behold, not only did they have multiple copies of the 4K release but they had even more copies of the 3D edition (which didn't even have a space on Best Buy's shelf). Two sales lost, Best Buy. Stellar job!! Walmart doesn't even specialize in consumer electronics and entertainment (half the store is groceries and pharmacy), yet by some miracle they can manage to get stock out to their stores. Why can't Best Buy?

What kills me most about these "renovations", as I've said before, is that floor space tends to be used even less efficiently (for all categories of item; not just movies) once it's all done. There are tiny hole-in-the-wall movie stores in the Greater Toronto Area that manage to offer thousands of catalog titles on Blu-Ray with barely more floor space than most Best Buys currently allocate to movies, and they do it with efficient shelving and storage. There's no reason Best Buy couldn't have such a section in 1 out of every 5 or 10 locations (every single store would be overkill, obviously), giving movie fans more choice without having to take up any floor space from other items.

I do wonder if this whole renovation scheme is actually producing positive results for Best Buy, or is it just some suit's half baked idea that the company is now committed to and can't afford to abort? Best Buy stores are still as empty as ever when I make my weekly movie runs. Many Best Buy's I've been in recently devote more space to "musical instruments" than movies.... that section usually consisting of a lone, dusty, cheap-looking electric guitar, perhaps kept company by an equally cheap-looking amplifier and synth keyboard. How many people walk into Best Buy looking to buy the world's cheapest electric guitar? And why does that need more display space than what's been allocated for movies?

4K Blu, Blu-Ray and DVD still account for anywhere from $60-80 million in sales per week in North America alone... while it may not be Best Buy's biggest seller, perhaps those sales aren't something the company can really afford to turn its nose up at? Movies are the only thing that brings me into their stores... and to be quite honest after this week I'm questioning whether I'm ever going to step into one again unless I have no other alternative.

If stores like Best Buy think these changes will save them from the coming retail apocalypse, they're in for a really rude awakening.
LG OLED65E6P, Oppo UDP-203 & Denon AVR-X7200WA.
Polk RTiA9 (x2) Front L/R, CSiA6 Center, RTiA5 (x2) Surround L/R, DSW PRO 660 wi Subwoofer

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 09-28-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Thanks given by:
RCRochester (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #19

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
So I went to the Walmart next door and, lo and behold, not only did they have multiple copies of the 4K release but they had even more copies of the 3D edition (which didn't even have a space on Best Buy's shelf).
One day you may get the same rude surprise at WM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada