Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fantastic Voyage (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 hr ago
The Sand Pebbles (Blu-ray)
$5.99
7 hrs ago
I, Tonya (Blu-ray)
$12.99
6 hrs ago
Memories of Underdevelopment (Blu-ray)
$21.98

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99

American Horror Story: Asylum (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Batman Ninja (Blu-ray)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fear the Walking Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
6 hrs ago
American Horror Story: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx
Default Help with licensing rights for publishing

There is a movie that Lionsgate owns the rights to, Pass the Ammo. It has no Dvd release and I would like to license it and get it published on blu ray. If I am willing to finance it, even if it costs tens of thousands of dollars, how would I go about getting it done?
It used to be owned by IVE which was the company that released Dudes, which is now being published by Shout.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Special Member

May 2008
Council Bluffs, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by amper View Post
There is a movie that Lionsgate owns the rights to, Pass the Ammo. It has no Dvd release and I would like to license it and get it published on blu ray. If I am willing to finance it, even if it costs tens of thousands of dollars, how would I go about getting it done?
It used to be owned by IVE which was the company that released Dudes, which is now being published by Shout.
If Lionsgate owns it, you might not get very far. They notoriously hold onto their properties like a smaller version of WB & Disney.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

I can't imagine a major home video company like Lionsgate licensing a title to some random individual off the street. But hey, it's your time to waste, not mine. So feel free to give their Santa Monica offices a call at 310.449.9200.

Spoiler alert: they're not gonna have any interest in dealing with you.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #4

Sep 2017

Contact their IP department. Only they can specify the requirements, costs, documentation, etc they'd need.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Definitely interested in hearing a follow up on this one...
Thanks given by:
PrestonXI (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #6

May 2013
upstate NY

without a solid business plan they won't even bother with you at all. things like how will it be financed, distribution (a big one i mean they aren't gonna go for out of the trunk of my car) etc.

it doesn't sound like you have a clue and are just a fan
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Funkytown

So how did someone like Bill at Code Red get started. One man operation, (probably) was a nobody when he started? But he managed to get some titles to release.

Yeah, it'll be an uphill battle - but impossible?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Well, he didn't start off dealing with licensing of films owned by recalcitrant companies like Warner Bros and Lionsgate El Fez, that's for certain. Some companies are just a brick wall I'm afraid.

Do we know if Lionsgate own the worldwide rights for this?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I see what you're getting at! He might not be able to get Lionsgate to give him the time of day, but a smaller non-US label might be more willing. In that case he could just release a region free disc elsewhere and still get his desired result. Clever, and sneaky.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Yeah exactly, but I don't know nearly enough about rights-wrangling to know if that's an option with this specific film. Either way though, I'd expect if Lionsgate are not interested in working with the OP and he could get it via another company via foreign distribution rights, I would expect Lionsgate to demand the final release would not be Region-A friendly, but I'm guessing this would be a labour of love for the OP and that might not be an issue for him?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:30 AM   #11

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx

I've actually been hunting down the release of this title for about 6 years. I called around until I found out the Lionsgate owned it and for some reason didn't seem surprised. I figured they bought up the collection of film companies that were folding. I called and spoke to various people there and after getting bounced around and leaving a ton of messages, I gave up.

There are actually quite a few films I'd like to get released wit the blu treatment. I'm sure I am not alone. But I've got some money to invest and time on my hands so I thought I'd explore it.

I really don't have a clue, so I probably wont get anywhere. But I at least want to find out the reasoning behind this film being blacklisted. It was satirical on religion taking advantage of people financially, but it didn't seem to criticize any religion. But it sure is being treated as though it did.

I transferred the laserdisc to dvd for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Well, he didn't start off dealing with licensing of films owned by recalcitrant companies like Warner Bros and Lionsgate El Fez, that's for certain. Some companies are just a brick wall I'm afraid.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 AM   #12
Special Member

Nov 2008
Portland, OR

Ahhhhh... you must be referring to Bill Maher's 2008 film "Religulous." Yep, that will never see the light of day again. It upset the powers that be and they don't want the populous to get any ideas.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:44 AM   #13

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyls View Post
Ahhhhh... you must be referring to Bill Maher's 2008 film "Religulous." Yep, that will never see the light of day again. It upset the powers that be and they don't want the populous to get any ideas.
Pass the Ammo had more of an allegorical take on the Jim and Tammy Fey baker approach to hustling people that watch preaching on TV. With great music, such as "Lay your money down for Jesus."
Old 09-14-2017, 02:46 AM   #14

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx

From IMDB

Distributors

Avid Home Video (1991) (USA) (video)
Carolco (1993) (USA) (TV) (syndication)
International Video Entertainment (IVE) (1989) (USA) (VHS)
MCA (1989) (Canada) (video)
New Century Vista Film Company (all media)
Worldvision Enterprises (1993) (USA) (TV) (syndication)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors