Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Combo (Blu-ray)
£8.99

The Equalizer 2 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99
15 hrs ago
Force of Evil (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Kong: Skull Island 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.69

The Mystery of Picasso (Blu-ray)
£8.99

X-Men: Apocalypse 4K (Blu-ray)
£12.99
7 hrs ago
A Matter of Life and Death (Blu-ray)
£17.99
18 hrs ago
Ramrod (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Dark River (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Eyeball (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
£14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom
United Kingdom The Official Plan B Entertainment Thread

Releases:

#1 Broken Arrow (1950) - released February 26th 2018

#2 The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1957) - released March 12th 2018

#4 Firestarter (1983) - released May 14th 2018

Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile

Last edited by CouncilSpectre; 08-10-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
Gerby (12-17-2017), Ronnie67 (12-17-2017), Si Parallel Universe (01-05-2018), Ste7en (01-05-2018), unicron73 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom
United Kingdom The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1957)

Coming from Plan B Entertainment on March 12th 2018

Amazon

Quote:
Jonathan Tibbs (Kenneth More) reckons that a good way to improve the fortunes of his uncle's London gun company is to sell their products in the Wild West, so he sets off for Fractured Jaw. Once there, a series of misunderstandings give him the completely false reputation of being a smooth-talking, fast-on-the-draw gunman, and he is inveigled into becoming sheriff. With the two trigger-happy local ranches squaring up against each other, it's as well he is getting advice from sassy and sweet-on-him Kate (Jayne Mansfield)

Extra's

New HD Transfer
Commentary with Western expert's C. Courtney Joyner and Marilyn Moss
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
Still Gallery
Trailer
Thanks given by:
unicron73 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2013
Yorkshire, UK

Nice to see more Delmer Daves westerns getting released especially since i haven't picked up the Kino release. Warner Archive have just announced the magnificent The Hanging Tree as well.
Who the hell are Plan B Entertainment though?
Wanted On Blu: The Crowd (28), I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (32), The Mortal Storm (40), Hellzapoppin' (41), Mr Bug Goes To Town (41), Un Temoin Dans La Ville (59), A Prize Of Arms (62), The Last Of Sheila (73), Dersu Uzala (75), Illustrious Corpses (76), The Late Show (77), Foul Play (78), American Hot Wax (78), Krabat - The Sorcerer's Apprentice (78), I As In Icarus (79), The Lonely Guy (84), After Hours (85), Confessions Of A Serial Killer (85), Nobody's Fool (94), Best Of Youth (03).
Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2014

Plan B Entertainment- another UK boutique label releasing westerns ! For a while,this name got me confused with the one involving 'World War Z' film
Old 12-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Aug 2013

An offshoot of Signal One, I believe - so standards should be similarly high.
Thanks given by:
nitin (12-17-2017), Si Parallel Universe (01-05-2018)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Could these threads be merged under one thread for said new label? Or are they definitely Signal One, and therefore could go in that thread?

Very excited for more Westerns on Blu-ray, and have especially wanted to see some Daves, so Broken Arrow and The Hanging Tree are both good news!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Special Member

Mar 2014

Plan B Entertainment- a quick search led me here.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10985910

Registered under 'Video distribution activities' so I'd guess this is a new UK boutique label for blu-rays publishing .
Old 12-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Could these threads be merged under one thread for said new label? Or are they definitely Signal One, and therefore could go in that thread?

Very excited for more Westerns on Blu-ray, and have especially wanted to see some Daves, so Broken Arrow and The Hanging Tree are both good news!
Yeah,mate! It is indeed, just saw James of Signal One listed under 'People' details but a new thread would be good!
Old 12-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post

Good point mate. Sadly I was still half awake when I posted these this morning!

I've asked for the threads to be merged under a 'Plan B Entertainment' banner. Once done, I'll tidy things up
Thanks given by:
rapta (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

Feb 2017
Middlesborough, England

I've got the Italian blu, it's quite a special Western. Very ahead of the game in it's treatment of the Native Americans. Stewart is fantastic in the film. As ambiguous and dangerous as he is in the Mann Westerns.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Thanks to BigNickUK for merging these threads

I'm going to move the Broken Arrow details into this post and then reserve the first post for an ongoing summary of Plan B's releases/schedule as they are announced.

Broken Arrow (1950) Coming from Plan B Entertainment on February 12th 2018

Amazon

Quote:
The year is 1870, and former Union soldier Tom Jeffords (James Stewart, No Highway in the Sky) is recruited to remove a tribe of Apache warriors from a U.S. Mail delivery route by any means necessary. Jeffords chooses peace instead of more killings and decides to learn the Apache way of life. He agrees to a peace treaty with Apache chief Cochise (Jeff Chandler, Ten Seconds to Hell) and marries a beautiful Native American woman (Debra Paget, Cry of the City). Tragedy strikes after the settlers break the peace treaty, but now it s Cochise trying to stop Jeffords from acting out in vengeance. Delmer Daves (3:10 to Yuma) directed this classic action-packed western that was nominated for three Academy Awards - Best Supporting Actor (Chandler), Best Color Cinematography by Ernest Palmer (Blood and Sand) and Best Screenplay by the blacklisted Albert Maltz (Two Mules for Sister Sara).

Extra's

New HD Transfer
Commentary with Western expert's C. Courtney Joyner and Rob Ward
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
Still Gallery
Trailer
Old 01-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #12

Mar 2017
Scotland

More westerns, awesome
Old 01-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
Banned

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post

Broken Arrow (1950) Coming from Plan B Entertainment on February 12th 2018
Oh, let's see if this turns out to be better than the Kino release.
A BD-50 and a superior encoding could convince me.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #14
Expert Member

Sep 2012
London

There are a ton of Fox westerns from the 40s-60s that have been transferred to BD and made available on a variety of third-party labels in Europe, particularly Sidonis Calysta in France - alas, all lumbered with forced French subtitles on the V.O. - and Koch Media in Germany, which presumably might be Plan B's for the asking. Broken Lance, The Last Wagon, Western Union, Warlock, The White Feather, Two Flags West, Martin Ritt's Hombre and Nicholas Ray's The True Story of Jesse James, for starters.
Thanks given by:
CouncilSpectre (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt View Post
There are a ton of Fox westerns from the 40s-60s that have been transferred to BD and made available on a variety of third-party labels in Europe, particularly Sidonis Calysta in France - alas, all lumbered with forced French subtitles on the V.O. - and Koch Media in Germany, which presumably might be Plan B's for the asking. Broken Lance, The Last Wagon, Western Union, Warlock, The White Feather, Two Flags West, Martin Ritt's Hombre and Nicholas Ray's The True Story of Jesse James, for starters.
It'll be interesting to see whether westerns are a key focus here, or whether those just happen to be the first few releases, with other genres/eras to follow.

Westerns and noir - I'd be more than happy with more of those making their way to the UK market...
Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #16
Expert Member

Sep 2012
London

Since none of John Wayne's Fox westerns - The Big Trail, The Undefeated, North to Alaska, The Comancheros - are available here (but are all on blu ray in the US dating from a time when Fox actually bothered to release their own films) they could be of some interest, too. As for the noir likes of Laura, Leave Her to Heaven, Daisy Kenyon and I Wake Up Screaming, I'm just amazed no-one has managed to licence them here ten years into HD.......
Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #17
Special Member

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Releases:

#1 Broken Arrow (1950) - released February 12th 2018

#2 The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1957) - released March 12th 2018

Love those original poster art on covers,just like S1 and the logo fits so well that it gives a sort of deluxe edition feel.

Quote:
Since none of John Wayne's Fox westerns - The Big Trail, The Undefeated, North to Alaska, The Comancheros - are available here (but are all on blu ray in the US dating from a time when Fox actually bothered to release their own films) they could be of some interest, too. As for the noir likes of Laura, Leave Her to Heaven, Daisy Kenyon and I Wake Up Screaming, I'm just amazed no-one has managed to licence them here ten years into HD.......
We can only speculate that these films may get some kind of anniversary edition release by home labels in near future since home labels [such as Fox-UK] is refusing to license the rights of these films to other labels ; I cannot further comment on it or substantiate my comment however this appears to be the reality. It took 4 years for BFI to get the 4k remaster of La Belle et la BÍte (1946) on BD while the re-release was curated by BFI in 2013 ,same goes to Johnny Guitar (1954) but sad that it’s not even on a BD in the UK like that of pre-4k remaster BD in the states.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

It may just be down to a rights situation with some of these at least. We know that Fox aren't averse to licensing out as we know that The Three Faces of Eve is coming out shortly (end of this month), and there have been plenty of back catalogue titles licensed previously and more to come from S1, Plan B and other UK boutiques.

What we don't know is if someone has already acquired the rights (possibly back in the DVD days) and still retains then but with no interest in releasing on blu. Equally, Fox may still have DVDs in print for these movies that they don't want superior sub-licensed versions competing against.

Of course the other factor is that the Fox back catalogue in itself is huge, and we only have a finite number of UK labels dipping into it - it could just be that this is how long it's taking to get into the meat of the catalogue. I suppose another factor might be cost - the more well-known titles may well command higher licensing fees.

Plenty of possible reasons I guess....
Thanks given by:
DefLeppard (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
Expert Member

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Since none of John Wayne's Fox westerns - The Big Trail, The Undefeated, North to Alaska, The Comancheros - are available here (but are all on blu ray in the US dating from a time when Fox actually bothered to release their own films) they could be of some interest, too.
Another couple of Fox westerns I'd love to have on Blu-ray is Warlock (Henry Fonda) and The Proud Ones (Robert Ryan). I think Warlock is already available as a Spanish release on Region B, but sometimes European versions are burnt discs rather than original pressed discs.

I am looking forward to the Sheriff of Fractured Jaw - saw this years ago and loved it.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
Another couple of Fox westerns I'd love to have on Blu-ray is Warlock (Henry Fonda) and The Proud Ones (Robert Ryan). I think Warlock is already available as a Spanish release on Region B, but sometimes European versions are burnt discs rather than original pressed discs.

I am looking forward to the Sheriff of Fractured Jaw - saw this years ago and loved it.
Not to mention, some Spanish discs are flat-out bootlegs....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
20th century fox, broken arrow, james stewart, jayne mansfield, jimmy stewart, kenneth more, plan b entertainment, sheriff of fractured jaw