Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$26.49
7 hrs ago
Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Old 10-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Power Member

Sep 2006
Talking Blu-ray is High Priced?

Just to put things in perspective, from Crutchfield's 'Dent & Scratch' section, no less:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P7eIJUI...3DVD5900&cc=07

Makes that Panny look very appealing.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
Just to put things in perspective, from Crutchfield's 'Dent & Scratch' section, no less:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P7eIJUI...3DVD5900&cc=07

Makes that Panny look very appealing.

Ridiculous that thing is still that expensive, with its fatal macroblocking issues, for starters.

Yeah, Blu-Ray is really expensive in comparision to that.
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK View Post
Ridiculous that thing is still that expensive, with its fatal macroblocking issues, for starters.
and as a 'Scratch & Dent' unit no less.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:17 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006

Thanks for putting things in perspective!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #5

Jul 2006
Cross Plains, WI

Just a little adder here the sammy player is $799 at american TV, I know you can dig around on the internet and find it cheaper, but that is still a good price. Same as the HD XA1. The have had the same specail for two weeks and some of the sales people over there are talking about sale on other bd players in the near future. However saddly no sales on the HD players except open box.

By the way what makes that DVD player so $$$$$ other than the name.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAardvark View Post
Well, it does up-conversion over HDMI, it's a universal that plays SACD, DVD-A, DVD, CD, and every other variant. It does HDCD decoding, has some very nice Burr-Brown DACs (I know they sound great, they are the same as the ones in my Denon DVD-200) and has a very decent analogue stage. It's also built like a tank, and made in Japan.

With all of that said, it is still overpriced - always has been, IMO, even when it was brand new. In fact, for audio quality, my far less expensive Denon DVD-2200 outperforms it and the 2900 that was also below it. Some might disagree, as the 2900 is a favourite amongst audiophiles looking for a bargain they can mod, but I had all three in my possession at one point. the 2900 and 5900 sounded identical, the 2200 sounded far better, especially playing back surround DVD-As. I'm not the only one that feels that way either. I've read some professional reviews that said the exact same thing, and that was after I came to the conclusion myself.

The PQ on the 5900 was nothing spectacular either. At this point, with BR and HD DVD on the market, there is no excuse for anyone to charge that sort of money for a standard DVD player, especially one that doesn't look that great and is a 'Scratch & Dent', even? Puleeezuh.

But the question still begs to be asked - how can any HT enthusiast being completely honest complain that Blu-ray is too expensive when people have been spending the sort of prices that Denon costs for years, on standard definition DVD players?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAardvark View Post
Just a little adder here the sammy player is $799 at american TV, I know you can dig around on the internet and find it cheaper, but that is still a good price. Same as the HD XA1. The have had the same specail for two weeks and some of the sales people over there are talking about sale on other bd players in the near future. However saddly no sales on the HD players except open box.

Nice, but Samsung needs to drop the MSRP on that thing, because it still shows up most places selling at MSRP, which is just ridiculous, IMO.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2006
Wink

Here's another 'WTF, they call Blu-ray players overpriced?' moment:

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index...entPage=family

Old 10-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Expert Member

Sep 2006

Ah, but Golden, Denon says their players can produce better PQ from SDs than what BDs currently offer. For proof, they point to The Fifth Element!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post
Ah, but Golden, Denon says their players can produce better PQ from SDs than what BDs currently offer. For proof, they point to The Fifth Element!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2003
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post
Yeah I would like to see that.

The Toshiba is supposedly an 'excellent' upscaler and the DVD of 5th Element is still way short of the BD on the Samsung.

These people are deluded IMHO.
---
Content is the key. See the stats
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology