Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99
5 hrs ago
Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fantastic Voyage (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$5.34
3 hrs ago
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Nov 2017
New York
Default Soundbar suggestions?

I have a TCL P605 and while I love watching movies on it sometimes they're hard to hear. I've read that the speaker quality isn't the best so I was thinking on investing in a sound bar. I live in a condo complex and I try to not put the TV so loud that I can hear it better but at that point it's so loud that even when I focus the audio on speech it makes all music and audio effects get really loud and I'm afraid of annoying my neighbors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a soundbar that could help me out with this issue trying to balance speech and sound effects? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #2

Jan 2010

What's your budget?
Samsung KS8000
Sony UBPX700
Bose Cinemate 15
Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

Nov 2017
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by acua View Post
What's your budget?
I'd like to spend maybe $100-250. It's not a big budget.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2012

zvox brand is great
Old 01-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #5

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre95 View Post
I have a TCL P605 and while I love watching movies on it sometimes they're hard to hear. I've read that the speaker quality isn't the best so I was thinking on investing in a sound bar. I live in a condo complex and I try to not put the TV so loud that I can hear it better but at that point it's so loud that even when I focus the audio on speech it makes all music and audio effects get really loud and I'm afraid of annoying my neighbors.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a soundbar that could help me out with this issue trying to balance speech and sound effects? Thanks.

MAJOR understatement there. The speaker quality of any soundbar you're going to find isn't going to rate anywhere close to "the best" for that matter. They tend to be passable at most. Your better ones will be an improvement over what's included in flat panel TVs and computer monitors today, but still not of the same quality as what one might be accustomed from RPTVs of yesteryear. That said, any HT in a box system should surpass a soundbar in terms of both speaker fidelity as well as processing capability, which I've not been remotely impressed with the night modes, voice enhancers, dynamic range levelers of any soundbar I've heard, compared to what's in a half-decent AVR. That said, if I had to buy another soundbar, I'd definitely avoid Sony and probably focus my research on Yamaha and some other brand I heard once in showroom, but have forgotten the name - it was bigger than your typical soundbar and from a brand I'd never heard of. Might've even been the zvox the poster above me mentioned as that name doesn't sound familiar either.
"Digital copy: Hollywood's latest endeavor to take back legal ownership of their movies from consumers and ultimately a complete return to a pay-per-view world."
Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2008

check used sites like craigslist, offerup, facebook marketplace too

Good brands in your budget may include: Yamaha, Klipsch, Polk, Energy, and Vizio
Panasonic Plasma TC-P50S60
Onkyo TX-NR509
Polk Tsi-400s
Polk Monitor 15C
Polk Owm3s
Velodyne DSP-10
Old 02-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigal View Post
check used sites like craigslist, offerup, facebook marketplace too

Good brands in your budget may include: Yamaha, Klipsch, Polk, Energy, and Vizio
From my experience the Vizio 5.1 systems are "decent", mine are strictly for bedroom use where I don't want multiple speakers or wires running everywhere (the Subwoofer and rear surrounds are wirelessly connected to the main bar).

If it the sound isn't up to the same quality level of my actual HT set up, it is still a huge step up from the basic speakers on the TV.

Right now I believe Walmart has VIZIO SB3651-E6 36" 5.1 Sound Bar System for $198, it has an easy menu system on the remote which allows you to adjust the strength of the center versus the left/right and surround speakers.

For your price range, it's going to give you your best bang for your buck, at least in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Blades1370; 02-04-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
Zoland2020 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #8

Apr 2008
Scottsdale, Arizona

These get some good reviews and pretty cheap.

https://richsound.us/product/rsr-tb2...ith-subwoofer/
LG 55EG9100 OLED 1080P
Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH
Klipsch Icon VF-35, Klipsch Icon VC-25, Axiom EP350
Samsung UBD-K8500
APC H15
Ray Super Remote
TCL 55P605
Sony UBP-X800, Richsound Research 2.1 soundbar
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers