COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.78
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Old 01-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #1

Apr 2007
Safety Habor, FL
Default In Harm's Way (1965) In HD

I know where are movie lovers out there:

Last night 'In Harm's Way (1965)' was showing in High Def, and I was completely blown away at the picture quality. It's the brightest, cleanest black and white movie I have ever seen. I had only seen it full frame to this point, and when shown in 2.20:1 I was amazed at the amount of movie I had never seen before. This is one that I would add to my Blu-Ray collected if it becomes available.

Regards.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #2

Apr 2007

Very sorry I missed it-- other than the very fake-looking model ships I really like the movie. What channel was it on? And I agree, B&W movies look terrific in HD!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #3

Apr 2007
Safety Habor, FL

It was on HD-Net. Looks like it's due again in February.

In Harm's Way - Closed Captions
Rating: NR
Year: 1965
Cast: John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patricia Neal
Director: Otto Preminger
Synopsis: A disgraced naval officer gets a chance at redemption when he leads an attack on the Japanese.
Run Time: 2:47
Air Dates: Tue, Feb 12th - 11:35 AM ET / 8:35 AM PT
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #4

Jul 2007

I saw that as well. And if you stayed up later, it was followed by Anatomy of a Murder, one of the best courtroom movies ever. Black and white but clear as a bell with rich detail. And the jazz Jimmy Stewart liked to listen to and play would sound great, too.

Old and/or B&W movies can look wonderful in HD. Of course, these were high profile, big budget movies shot by real pros.

And speaking of Otto Prieminger, what about The Longest Day?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #5

Apr 2007
Safety Habor, FL

If Longest is restored as well as Harms, it's going to be a pleasure. Unfortunately all of my viewings of Longest were in full screen. They would show the credits wide screen and then zoom in on the first shot.

The use of the wide screen is what amazed me so much last night. The actors were doing things in the whole screen. Conversations were held with people on the far left and right of the screen. When Kirk Douglas was handing out the flowers on the deck of the ship, the young woman he flirted with moves to the left and is sitting there thinking about what she will say to him when he leaves. All of these performances were lost in full frame.

And John Wayne and "Maggie" had great chemistry (George Lucas should watch this movie! ). They were two busy people with lots of responsibility, a strong sense of honor and also very lonely.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Reducing Your Planet To A Burned Out Cinder

I agree I saw it to and was amazed at how good it looked not to long ago psycho was on in HD and it also was great I hope these and other good B/W movies find there way to blu someday to
Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Expert Member

Oct 2007

Have it on DVD, looking forward to getting it in blu. Sort of related, I bought another Wayne movie "The Searchers" in blu-ray and it looks amazing. Hope they release "Fort Apache" as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #8

Jan 2008

I like this movie as well and can't wait to see it on BR.

Don
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

On my watch list of movies for today (Dec 7). I saw this movie for the first time only recently and love it. The weak part being the models used for ships. They were so bad that Kirk Douglas offered to pay for better effects but was turned down. Its ok, because many of the battle scenes are on ship vs ship to ship. It shows things you didn't see in any other war film of the era such as rape of women in the military by fellow officers. I have it on my DVR, archived on an external HDD. It looks remastered, vs scanned as is and I wish it would come out (along with Midway) on Blu-ray.

Also watching the Japanese version of Tora Tora Tora, That crappy Pearl Harbor (for the battle scenes) and From Here To Eternity, which also needs to be out on BD.

Last edited by slick1ru2; 12-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbeachlf View Post
I know where are movie lovers out there:

Last night 'In Harm's Way (1965)' was showing in High Def, and I was completely blown away at the picture quality. It's the brightest, cleanest black and white movie I have ever seen. I had only seen it full frame to this point, and when shown in 2.20:1 I was amazed at the amount of movie I had never seen before. This is one that I would add to my Blu-Ray collected if it becomes available.

Regards.
That was shot in 35mm, but blown up to 70mm. It was only about the 6th film to be blown up to 70mm. "Bye, Bye, Birdie" was the first, but Birdie was probably only shown in 70mm in Europe for reasons that have been lost to movie history.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology