Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #6021
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

DVD Beaver shots were taken from the UK version if memory serves

Bottom line is this: If you want the best possible PQ available, buy the Geneon version. It has great consistancy than any of the skynet discs. Our demo was specifically constructed to try to explain why different versions using the same master look different. YES there will almost certainly be a new transfer done for the next reissue 3-5 years down the line, but T2 is a limited resolution film to begin with, and according to the people in Japan that did the Geneon disc I talked to who did their disc, they believe that most of the problems are inherent to the film, and won't be helped that much by new transfers.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #6022
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
This is getting old, so let me address it...

Regardless, there's a larger issue here: EVERYONE online now seems to be an "expert" on DNR and grain and video quality. People who should know better are swearing up and down that this or that Blu-ray is shit. Sometimes, they're right. But well over half the time, they have no absolutely idea what they're talking about, and no context or proper reference points upon which to make such judgments, other than that "the previous DVD looked better!" Sometimes people who DO know what they're talking about and do have the context and proper reference points are STILL jumping to hasty conclusions.

Go get 'em Bill!

You also have a segment of screenshot scientists that are *overblown contrast* or *crushed black* experts because DETAIL rules with videophiles!
It doesn’t matter at all if the filmmakers desired a certain look for an aesthetic effect to create a mood.

How on earth can those North Africa scenes in Valkyrie be so burnt out?
Way, WAY too much contrast there, we lost some detail…….we was robbed !!!!!!

And Coppola, with that Blu-ray of Bram Stoker’s Dracula!
Some of dem scenes are just too dark. I can’t see no detail!
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973

Old 06-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #6023

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
This may be one for Penton, but...

Guys, I know Sony is taking a 'not before it's ready' approach with Lawrence of Arabia, and I'm so thankful for it- I don't want it until it's *RIGHT*.

With that proper approach in mind, have you heard anything recently about what kind of timeframe things are looking on track for? And/or do you have an educated guess? In the simplest terms, I'm curious what you think the chances are, at this point, that it'll see a 2009 release.
0 %
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #6024
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Hey Jeff,

I know you cant comment on "whens" but Im curious if one of my old favorites, Willow, is at least getting "talked about" at Fox, who I believe now owns distribution rights.
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPS!!!!

PS gamertag: Merrick97
Xbox 360: Merrick97

Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #6025
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Lucasfilm is king of the hill, everything on their radar right now is SW and Indy. My mother would certainly be please with Willow coming out, it's a family favorite. I just wish they'd restore the way cool poster art, or use this equally cool teaser

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Willow...AID=1577398651

or this one

https://eu.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-33776/Willow.html

Quote:
I have it on excellent authority that all involved are quite pleased with how the Blu came out. Too bad the only people whose opinion actually matter are happy rolling in the mud of their own ignorance about how their movie looks at home

Last edited by Jeff Kleist; 06-12-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #6026

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kleist View Post
I have it on excellent authority that all involved are quite pleased with how the Blu came out. Too bad the only people whose opinion actually matter are happy rolling in the mud of their own ignorance about how their movie looks at home
I tell you we was robbed!

It's either dnr or boosted contrast!
I want to be able to count dem grains of sand in the desert!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #6027
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Quote:
Lucasfilm is king of the hill, everything on their radar right now is SW and Indy. My mother would certainly be please with Willow coming out, it's a family favorite. I just wish they'd restore the way cool poster art, or use this equally cool teaser

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Willow...AID=1577398651

or this one

https://eu.movieposter.com/poster/MPW-33776/Willow.html
I had forgotten that it was part of Lucasfilm. Silly me. Willow did come out well before Star Wars and Indiana Jones on dvd. SO I thought maybe Lucas might use it as a way to test the market.

Yeah, the original poster art is way better than the dvd.

I would be happiest if Indiana Jones and the Alien Quad came out this year. Thats all it would take.
DALLAS MAVERICKS 2011 NBA CHAMPS!!!!

PS gamertag: Merrick97
Xbox 360: Merrick97

Old 06-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #6028

Apr 2009

Quote:
Historically no, the hardcores who already have Blu-ray, not enough people will refuse to buy it at the current price, and most of them do enjoy the premium packaging and geegaws. I know I do
Not really related, but about DVD-packages (among other complainable things about DVD):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9j...hity-dvds_tech

Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #6029
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

The Angry Video Game Nerd is not exactly representative of those at large, even if he is funny

I actually ran into him in a Gamestop about a month ago where he had just run in real fast to find some stuff for a gaming night with friends

Old 06-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #6030
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
DVD Beaver shots were taken from the UK version if memory serves

Bottom line is this: If you want the best possible PQ available, buy the Geneon version. It has great consistancy than any of the skynet discs. Our demo was specifically constructed to try to explain why different versions using the same master look different. YES there will almost certainly be a new transfer done for the next reissue 3-5 years down the line, but T2 is a limited resolution film to begin with, and according to the people in Japan that did the Geneon disc I talked to who did their disc, they believe that most of the problems are inherent to the film, and won't be helped that much by new transfers.
No UK comparison shots at DVD Beaver. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...et_blu-ray.htm

I picked up the Skynet version and it is an improvement, overall, over the original Lionsgate version. I notice a bit more improvement in color, contrast, clarity, and particularly video compression noise. At a $14.99 price and considering I sold the original version, it was hard not to purchase especially since the Geneon release is too expensive for me and the original UK release was hard to track down at a decent price and had limited features. I agree this will probably be given a new transfer down the road and the Skynet version should do until then.

Last edited by HeavyHitter; 06-12-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #6031
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

Go get 'em Bill!

You also have a segment of screenshot scientists that are *overblown contrast* or *crushed black* experts because DETAIL rules with videophiles!
It doesn’t matter at all if the filmmakers desired a certain look for an aesthetic effect to create a mood.

And Coppola, with that Blu-ray of Bram Stoker’s Dracula!
Some of dem scenes are just too dark. I can’t see no detail!
Now, some think a BD title like Men in Black can look almost as good on DVD. lol

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1154568

Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #6032
Expert Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
I had forgotten that it was part of Lucasfilm. Silly me. Willow did come out well before Star Wars and Indiana Jones on dvd. SO I thought maybe Lucas might use it as a way to test the market.

I would be happiest if Indiana Jones and the Alien Quad came out this year. Thats all it would take.
Actually, Willow came out on dvd the same year TPM was released on dvd - TPM in 10/2001 and Willow in 11/2001. Anything on American Graffiti? If I remember right, that was the first Lucasfilm title to hit DVD. I take that back, it was Radioland Murders. Was there anything before these? Both of these hit dvd in 1998.

Last edited by Indyjones; 06-12-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #6033
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Quote:
No UK comparison shots at DVD Beaver. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...et_blu-ray.htm

I'm not sure which Skynet edition he's sourcing from. He got that disc awfully early, and he does a lot of importing

Old 06-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #6034
The Digital Bits

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post

Quad MAY get moved into 2010, because they want to take the time to get it right. I said MAY. Just be ready for it.
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
http://www.thedigitalbits.com
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com

Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #6035
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

A Ridley directed new Alien film, as is being hinted at in the rumor mill right now would almost certainly give it a bump

Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #6036
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008

Jeff do you know if Pulp Fiction and Rush Hour 1+2 have been delayed or not? I was pumped for those three but now I've noticed there hasnt been any info since your rumor mill got the word out that they would be released.
Big Tits Zombie

-Action

No synopsis for Big Tits Zombie.

(don't think it needs one, fellas. Pretty self explanatory.)

Old 06-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #6037
Power Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Quad MAY get moved into 2010, because they want to take the time to get it right. I said MAY. Just be ready for it.
Quote:
A Ridley directed new Alien film, as is being hinted at in the rumor mill right now would almost certainly give it a bump
Fingers in ears! Fingers in ears!

I CAN'T HEAR YOU. WHAT? WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #6038
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Haven't heard anything either way on Rush Hour and Pulp Fiction, I would assume they're still on track

Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #6039
Special Member

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holographic View Post
Not really related, but about DVD-packages (among other complainable things about DVD):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9j...hity-dvds_tech
That should be required viewing for all home entertainment employees!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #6040
The Digital Bits

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post
That should be required viewing for all home entertainment employees!
Now THAT was funny.
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
http://www.thedigitalbits.com
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion