Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #1

Jan 2008
Default "Dreamgirls"

I haven't been able to find a decent review on "Dreamgirls" on Blu-ray so I thought I'd stop by here and see if anybody's picked up & what they thought about it. I've got it on DVD & I love the movie, but I'm interested to know if y'all think picking up the BD version would be worth it!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin' bodied View Post
I haven't been able to find a decent review on "Dreamgirls" on Blu-ray so I thought I'd stop by here and see if anybody's picked up & what they thought about it. I've got it on DVD & I love the movie, but I'm interested to know if y'all think picking up the BD version would be worth it!
I guess I would not be the one to ask. I simply couldn't get into the movie in the first place. PQ was quite good but with the audio it didn't go as far as they could.

If you love the movie, get it.
Kristin
Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #3

Jun 2007

I wasn't a big fan of this movie but I do own it and if yo like this movie then go and buy it. The picture was amazing and I thought the sound was good too!
-Charles
Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
San Francisco Bay Blu-Ray SteelBooks™: (150+)

Great PQ and great sound as well.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 AM   #5

Jan 2008

I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume PQ is picture quality? Haha. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume PQ is picture quality? Haha. Thanks for the info!
Yes. The PQ really comes through on the BD, with the lighting, etc. (I don't know why they didn't do PCM uncompressed sound or True HD sound. )

Go for it.
Kristin
Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Here's my opinion of it... http://www.eyecravedvd.com/dvd/dvdReview.php?dvdID=1144
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #8

Aug 2007

They should have stuck with the script and score in the show. Would have been much more engaging.

And, why wasn't Effie crying during "And I'm Telling You..."?! An emotional moment and she's dry-eyed. WTF.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #9

Jun 2007
Montreal
Send a message via AIM to bubs Send a message via MSN to bubs

this movie looked great and it comes with a second disc just for extras.
Sony 50" WEGA LCD Rear Projection KDF-E50A10
Sony Playstation 3 60G

PSN ID: bubsmixtapes
PS3 Games: 12 Collection
BD Movies: 41 Collection
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
Power Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

It offers a big improvement over DVD in both PQ & AQ but it didn't optimize the way fans would have hoped. No lossless audio and perhaps the weakest video codec. Still I wouldn't let that deter you from buying it. If you love a movie then the double dip is worth it.
Top 5 Blu-ray Movies: Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, 2001: A Space Odyssey, POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl, Apocalypto
Top 5 Blu-ray Games: GTA IV, Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise
Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #11

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisquilty View Post
And, why wasn't Effie crying during "And I'm Telling You..."?! An emotional moment and she's dry-eyed. WTF.
You should watch the documentary on the second disc. It explains why. The director wanted her to be on the verge of crying but not actually cry. In the documentary, Jennifer Hudson starts crying after the filming of the number is finished. I was even more impressed by the performance after I watched the documentary (and I was already pretty impressed).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America