COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
NHL 14 (PS3)
$26.49
Rocksmith 2014 Edition (PS3)
$39.99
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3)
$25.43
Disney Infinity (PS3)
$46.31
Dark Souls II (PS3)
$51.37
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (PS3)
$36.70
Battlefield 4 (PS3)
$21.75
FIFA 14 (PS3)
$29.27
WWE 2K14 (PS3)
$23.99
Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS3)
$24.99
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
$34.49
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (PS3)
$9.99
Ultra Street Fighter IV (PS3)
$30.65
NBA 2K14 (PS3)
$24.76
Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse (PS3)
$20.32
Assassin's Creed Ezio Trilogy (PS3)
$19.17
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
$19.99
Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS3)
$19.87
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! (PS3)
$10.41

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #1

Sep 2006
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Default PS3 does upscale DVD's to 1080p?

http://www.ps3.net/newsboard/view.php?id=572

Quote:
In a recent interview with Engadget, Peter Dille, SCE SVP of Marketing, said that the PS3 will be able to upscale DVD movies to 1080p. When asked about the PS3's 1080p support for btoh games and Blu-Ray movies, with the connection of HDMI, he said:

Peter: "Right, so I guess from a Blu-ray perspective, Blu-ray movies are obviously 1080p capable; the Blu-ray player will upscale DVDs."

Engadget: So you're saying the PlayStation 3 will upscale DVDs to 1080p?

Peter: "Yes. Oh, yes."

Engadget: Okay.

Peter: "That's part and parcel of the Blu-ray technology. I thought you were questioning about the PlayStation game aspect."

He also stated that when viewing, there is no difference between 1080p native and upscaled. I don't know Peter, you may want to take another look, there is a difference, especially when you see the picture is all weird and fuzzy in upscaled rather than that of 1080p native.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

loving life if it does upscale... a little concerned about the comments about upscaling looking just as good. but if we get upscaling, i'll let an idiot comment slide now and again.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #3

Sep 2006
Ft Lauderdale, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknub View Post
loving life if it does upscale... a little concerned about the comments about upscaling looking just as good. but if we get upscaling, i'll let an idiot comment slide now and again.
Yeah that had me worried too. What the hell was he thinking saying that?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

he had the munster's song in his head.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Shame it doesn't upscale old PS2 and PS1 games though.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

shame it doesn't come with a blonde either
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Shame it doesn't upscale old PS2 and PS1 games though.
So far.

I've heard rumors that later firmwares might enable something like that.
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004

Quote:
shame it doesn't come with a blonde either
LOL!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 AM   #9
Banned

Nov 2006

Apparently this guy doesn't know his head from a whole in the ground.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:10 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

and you say this why?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:21 AM   #11
Banned

Nov 2006

Quote:
and you say this why?
He stated this:

Quote:
He also stated that when viewing, there is no difference between 1080p native and upscaled.
So why even have Blu-ray then if we can upscale all current DVD's to 1080p? I wonder if my iTunes video podcasts at 320x240 will look like true high definition upscaled?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

he may have screwed up, it happens.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2005
England

Must admit, I didn't think PS3 upscaled DVD; Sony would prefer you buy blu-ray, not just upscale your DVD's!

I was hoping it would upscale PS2 games though to remove that black border that appears on HDtv screens. Ah well. As JTK said, firmware updates might address these later on, no big deal for now.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #14

Nov 2006
Default Confirmed information

>>http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...1110/rt018.htm

Today Izumi Kawanishi, chief of the software platform development center of SCE, answered some questions about PS3. According to this interview and former information,

1) Now production gets on track.
2) At the BR play, cooling fan turns at low speed, something warm, but not hot at all, and very quiet. At playing full power 3D games, heat producton is considerably high, but still not hot.
3) Unfortunately, DVD upconvert (via HDMI, and analog interface too) is not supported at present. But if there is a demand of many users, improvement to enable it is possible.
4) Playing PS1 title is full emuation, but as for PS2 title, EE+GS is carried.

to be continued...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Then I guess users MUST demand that DVD-upconversion must be done!

Users must also demand that the PS3 supports the full decoding of DTS HDMA!

Don't you just love firmware upgrades?

fuad
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #16

Nov 2006

Say honestly, I think DVD upconversion is one of the functions not in time at launch and sooner or later SCE will take it. Perhaps free display resolution setting via HDMI is also.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #17

Jun 2006

here's the whole enchilada. Very good info.

+ Using XMB and web browsing won't spin the fan. Playing Blu-ray will spin the fan, but the load is still low especially for early MPEG2 titles. The fan spins steadily while gaming.
+ The picture/audio quality for video playback is excellent. Though Cell does not do much postprocessing right now, they are doing research for it.
+ TrueHD is converted to LPCM and outputted via HDMI.
+ No DVD upscaling for the time being. But they are looking at user needs and have a plan for the support.
+ The Blu-ray player response is very quick. The interviewer says he felt it's the fastest among Toshiba, Sony, Matsushita HD players/recorders he tested.
+ Some contents holders say the speed of BD-Java in the PS3 is the fastest.
+ By pressing the triangle button the XMB shows the folder tree structure as is just like Windows Explorer.
+ It can connect with USB mass-storage devices such as PSP, but not with ones with special transfer methods such as iPod and Walkman. They are collaborating with the Walkman unit for some interaction in the future.
+ It's decided that the RSX clock stays undisclosed
+ The EE+GS embedded in the PS3 does emulation for PS1/PS2 for initial shipments PS3, so no graphics upgrade for the time being. The software emulation technology is almost complete but not ready for the launch. As soon as it becomes complete EE+GS is removed from future units.
+ In Remote Play with PSP for the 60GB version, the PS3 resolution becomes 480p (16:9) and converts the screen to MPEG-4 Simple Profile at around 1Mbps to send it to the PSP. All control is transferred to the PSP and you can control the PS3 by pressing the PSP buttons. BD/DVD and other copyright-protected materials can't be sent. As for games the support will come in the near future.
+ Downloaded PS1 games are transferred from a PS3 to a PSP by a USB cable. PLAYSTATION TV (the demo kiosk) starts the download service too.
+ The web browser can open up to 6 pages simultaneously. 64MB memory is always reserved for the browser, the instant messenger and other XMB OS activity even while in game.
+ Installing Linux creates a new HDD partition separately from the PS3 partition. After the setup, you can select which system to use at the boot menu. You can choose to auto-boot Linux too.
+ Aside from Linux, SCE's developers are still seeking the way to publish proper software development environment for the PS3 main OS and PSP for general users. But right now the PS3 main OS can run only signed applications (while PS3 Linux can run whatever applications on it).
Old 11-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #18
Power Member

Aug 2006
Long Island, NY;psn:phranctoast

Thanks for all the info jazar..

Quote:
+ It can connect with USB mass-storage devices such as PSP, but not with ones with special transfer methods such as iPod and Walkman
This is interesting right here. Im not sure if its possible yet, but then you could run most of your music through the ps3 this way form a HDD external device.

As far as walkman is concerned. Sony needs to except that apple is the market leader for portable music right now (even though the ipod is inferior to just about any other mp3 player) and make a deal with them so the ipod can hook into the ps3 and be used that way as well. Maybe incorporate i tunes into the ps3.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

According to the X3 review on High Def Digest the PS3 will also decode DTS-MA and pass it through the HDMI as LPCM.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #20

Nov 2006

Far East, the date is already Nov.11. The PS3 officially released in Japan today, and I missed... Ouch!
Aiming next chance at next weekend.

This is quick review.
>>http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20061111/ps3.htm

1) Power consumption is 170-190W via wattchecker, after all.

2) BR loading time is 7-9 sec and play starting time is 2-5sec. very quick.

3) PQ is excellent. Low noise, low artifact, black level is stable. As for VC-1 decode quality comparison using same title of Warner, it is better than toshiba HD-XA1.
(Okay, this is coming from very few sample. Please look forward to the next report.)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3