Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Old 02-01-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Texas
Default PS3 'blackout'?

On three separate occasions, I've had my TV go dark when using my PS3. I have a 40GB PS3 connected to a Sharp Aquos TV through HDMI. There is a loud 'pop' noise and the lights on my TV start flashing but it seems to have turned off. I turn the TV back on and the movie/game is still running. I've had this happen to me when using the web browser (viewing a video), playing Heavenly Sword, and twice tonight while watching the Rock. I've watched dozens of other Blu-rays and some dvds with no problems. My HD DVD player connected to the other HDMI input has never done this to my TV. Is there some sort of issue with my PS3, HDMI cable, or TV inputs?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #2

Sep 2007

i have kind of had this issue without the pop... sometimes when a disc is starting the picture turns off but i can still hear the audio. i just turn my tv off and back on and everything is back to normal. weird, i don't know what the problem is though.
Epson 8350-Jamestown Matte White 110'' Screen
Onkyo TX-SR705
Front: Polk Audio Monitor 70's
Center: Polk Audio CS2 Series 2
Rear: Polk Audio OWM3's

Samsung 3D Blu-Ray BD-C6800

PS3 60 GB PSN: Richterbon, Nintendo Wii, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, PSP, Nintendo DS
Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Pacific NW

Here is what you should try to narrow down the possibilities:

1) Try switching the HDMI cables but use the same HDMI input on the TV that each device was using before. If the problems stops or occurs on the other device then it is the cable.

2) Try switching the PS3's and HD DVD's HDMI input. If it goes away for the PS3 but exists for the HD DVD player then it is the input.

3) Try using PS3 on a different TV, preferably via an HDMI input. If it happens again, then it is the PS3. This however, seems to be unlikely as you have stated that when you turn off the TV the game is where you left off.

Perform some of the same actions, using the web browser, etc. under each of the first two situations. Also try using the HD DVD player and see if it happens.

Out of curiosity what type of HDMI cables are you using? What is the model of your TV?

Last edited by cartier; 02-01-2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #4

Apr 2007
seattle

i have had a similar issue, i have the 60gb bought over a year ago.
i have a 40 inch samsung lcd hooked up to it and sometimes i get the load popping and the screen flashes either black or just snow then black and i can then hear the audio but a black screen, i just switch the cycle through the few sources i have plugged into it and then when i get back to the ps3 everything is normal. but it only happenes when i start a game usually. haven't noticed on blu-rays.

at least you know you aren't the only one

i am using a $40 HDMI Sony cable i got at target a year ago, if that matters....

Last edited by b-coli; 02-01-2008 at 05:54 AM. Reason: to add my HDMI cable type
Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #5
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Pacific NW

Quote:
Originally Posted by richterbon23 View Post
i have kind of had this issue without the pop... sometimes when a disc is starting the picture turns off but i can still hear the audio. i just turn my tv off and back on and everything is back to normal. weird, i don't know what the problem is though.
What specific Aquos TV model do you have? What type of cable do you have?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartier View Post
Here is what you should try to narrow down the possibilities:

1) Try switching the HDMI cables but use the same HDMI input on the TV that each device was using before. If the problems stops or occurs on the other device then it is the cable.

2) Try using the PS3 on a different HDMI input. If it goes away for the PS3 but exists for the HD DVD player then it is the input.

3) Try the PS3 on a different TV, preferably via an HDMI input. If it happens again, then it is the PS3. This however, seems to be unlikely as you have stated that when you turn off the TV the game is where you left off.

Out f curiosity what type of HDMI cables are you using? What is the model of your TV?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely try #1 and #2.

To answer your question, I have a Sharp Aquos 32d43u HDTV. I have my PS3 set at 720p. Using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox 360 Elite (yeah I know what am I thinking? lol).
Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Pacific NW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfury82 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely try #1 and #2.

To answer your question, I have a Sharp Aquos 32d43u HDTV. I have my PS3 set at 720p. Using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox 360 Elite (yeah I know what am I thinking? lol).
#1 & #2 are definitely the easiest to try. Also, is your HDMI cable gold plated? Let us know the results of your tests.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders