Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Garfield 1 & 2: Fat Cat Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

Oct 2007
Montana, great falls
Default Do you shop for Blus at your local pawn shop?

I stumbled onto a rare find today my local pawn shop just put out nearly 40 blus. They used to only have 3-4 and good titles were hard to find but today for 10 bucks each I nabbed the resident evil series($30) we are marshall, cars, con air, terminator 3 and crash. What a find!!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #2

Dec 2007
Bowling Green, Kentucky

Are you getting them used or new?
My Home Theater Set Up - 80g PlayStation 3 (MGS4 Bundle) & 50" Panasonic Plasma (TH-50PZ800U)

[BD - 65] [DVD - 181] [PS3 - 21] [PS2 - 62]

"I shot him...with a small revolver...I keep near my balls" -Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #3

Oct 2007
Montana, great falls

getting them used but the discs are flawles just like after you open a new one, im pertty picky and if its gots smudges or scratches Ill usually pass, if their flawless why pay 25-35 just for the plastic you gotta rip off
Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Special Member

Apr 2007
Canada

I never even thought about checking pawn shops. Thanks for the idea.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

They're all stolen at pawn shops
Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I don't think there are any Pawn shops near me.

I browsed Blu Ray at Pawn shops in Paris last summer and that was fun.

I'll have to look into it again. I don't think there are any in my area. (There's none listed in the phone book.)

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
They're all stolen at pawn shops
I know the ones at our pawn shop are. lol
Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #8

Sep 2007
Calgary, Alberta

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't know where to find a pawn shop ... Are they that common where you are that you'd have one to call your "local" shop?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

I prefer to support the industry. Buying used does not count in the numbers and does not help format neutral and HD DVD exclusive companies fully understand the true market share for software sales. The more that people buy used Blu-ray material, the longer it will be before the end is truly visible.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #10

Oct 2007
Montana, great falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
I prefer to support the industry. Buying used does not count in the numbers and does not help format neutral and HD DVD exclusive companies fully understand the true market share for software sales. The more that people buy used Blu-ray material, the longer it will be before the end is truly visible.
I buy new to, but as a collector am I so concerend about numbers and the format war that im gonna pass up cars for 10 bucks. You must be rich if you choose to only support the industry and pass on a bargain.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #11

Oct 2007
Montana, great falls

Here in Montana mosts towns have a pawn shop, just in billings alone we have like 12, i know colorado has tons too, or if there are not any pawn shops in your town, any buy sell trade cd/movie collectible store should now have some supply of blus at discounted prices. And to the people who think all the blu rays are stolen, some might be but others could of been xmas gifts not wanted, movies not liked that were bought at a discount and traded. I work at a collectible store and we pay anywhere from 5-10 bucks for blus and sell them for 9.99 to 19.99, people bring them in just to trade for store credit and stuff. Buying used also supports the industry because it saves you money which can then be used on buying expensive box sets, it just adds fuel to blu's fire.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
Special Member

Mar 2007
'Couve, WA
Send a message via AIM to Whytewash Send a message via Yahoo to Whytewash

Quote:
so are you telling me that everyone here that buys and trades their BD on this website are cheating the industry?

What about ebay? is that cheating the industry as well? IMO a good deal is a good deal no matter where you get it. You arent buying pirated discs and you are paying for the real deal. wheres the problem?

I suppose if you went on craigslist and bought a pre owned car, you are cheating the automotive manufacturers also?
Sony PS3 - 60gb
Samsung TV - 56" DLP 1080p
Blu-rays - 82

Sex between 2 people is a wonderful and beautiful thing; but between 3 is fantastic! - Woody Allen

I will not change my signature until the Seattle Mariners win the World Series
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I will say that BD's protective coating does wonders for used discs. I had such poor experiences with used dvds that I stopped buying anything that wasn't new. But used Blu-rays hold up so much better and always play. One wipe and they look virtually brand new.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Banned

Jan 2008

That's a good friggin' idea, I'm gonna go check out the pawn shops in the town I live nearby 'cause it's full of meth-heads(they love to steal). I bet the pawn shop has more blu's than any store there
Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

I've bought mine from friends on forums, comic stores, trading stores. If I see blu, I have to buy something
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
Special Member

Jul 2007
Seattle

Funny that this thread was just started. Just got my local coupon flyers in the mail and our local pawn shop has a coupon for a 10% discount on all High Def Disc's. Never been in there, but am going to check it out now.
Smile, you'll make someone's day!
300 Blu Ray Movies
20 PS3 Games
And Counting..................
Old 02-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
Special Member

Dec 2007
Hazleton, Pa

Anybody know about this happening in PA???
Old 02-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #18

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanv54 View Post
Anybody know about this happening in PA???
where in PA? and do you mean pawn shops having blu-rays? i would imagine so.
Blu, you're my boy!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewash View Post
so are you telling me that everyone here that buys and trades their BD on this website are cheating the industry?

What about ebay? is that cheating the industry as well? IMO a good deal is a good deal no matter where you get it. You arent buying pirated discs and you are paying for the real deal. wheres the problem?

I suppose if you went on craigslist and bought a pre owned car, you are cheating the automotive manufacturers also?
I'm not saying that it is cheating the industry... I'm saying that it is stinting the growth of the format. Yes, it will be more expensive taking the "new copies only" route. But, of all of the purchases and trades that have occured over these forums, don't you think that the numbers reflected in "purchasing new" might have enticed a swifter reaction from WB and possibly even created a move on Universal & Paramount's behalf? It's my belief that the Nielson's would have been in the 80:20 range well before Christmas if this trading/used purchasing was avoided.

Of course, this is just my opinion. It's not something that I hold against anybody. I'm just explaning my perspective on how this whole thing plays into the bigger picture of the format war.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
BC, Canada

Quote:
I prefer to support the industry. Buying used does not count in the numbers and does not help format neutral and HD DVD exclusive companies fully understand the true market share for software sales.
I own maybe 3 or 4 used DVDs I think out of my entire collection. Part of it was having to deal with scratches, and the other part (especially for TV shows) was wanting to support actual sales. If a season doesn't sell well enough, we don't get more, so buying new was essential. Unfortunately, I got into Blu a bit late though and had some catching up to do, so the occasional used or traded Blu helps me catch up. I still prefer to buy new though. It's for the same reason I'm against modding any of my consoles. Sure, these big companies make millions (or billions) or dollars every year, but showing support for certain titles lets these companies know what you want to see more of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I will say that BD's protective coating does wonders for used discs.
I mentioned above about buying few used DVDs, but I'm not afraid to buy a used Blu if the price is right. I'm very confident in that protective coating. As a side note, it doesn't just help with buying used Blus - it also must be a big plus to rental chains which most likely see less complaints and less replacements on Blus than DVD.

That coating is awesome for everyone except the studios who may see more used sales and trades because of it.

I think this is part of the reason we will see studios supporting Blu-ray Live and pushing for more stuff like this in the future. If they can give you fresh content on the same movie every now and then, you might just hold onto it longer. Game studios have already started doing this with downloadable content, so I wouldn't doubt seeing it with movies in the future. Personally, I think it would be kind of neat to be able to download extra commentaries for tv shows or movies (this reminds me of an old idea I had of having Steve Irwin [God rest his soul] do a commentary track on movies he had nothing to do with - I think it would have been a hoot); or new popup facts for movies and other things like that.

To the OP - never thought of looking in a pawn shop and don't really know where the closest one to me is. The main reason I never thought of looking is because who's really pawning off their Blus?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America