Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
17 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
17 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Coming to America (Blu-ray)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
5 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Masa84 Masa84 is offline
New Member
 
Nov 2006
Default Superman:Returns (High-Def Digest Review)

I love highdefdigest.com, but why they almost allways think HD-DVD is better? I don't understand that. Blu-Ray is BIGGER and LOT BETTER, like Superman Returns tell you that. I know it, I tested it.


http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/supermanreturns.html





Regards,
Hi-Definition Specialist
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
dialog_gvf dialog_gvf is offline
Moderator
 
dialog_gvf's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Toronto
320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa84 View Post
I love highdefdigest.com, but why they almost allways think HD-DVD is better? I don't understand that. Blu-Ray is BIGGER and LOT BETTER, like Superman Returns tell you that. I know it, I tested it.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/supermanreturns.html

Regards,
Hi-Definition Specialist
They are apparently identical transfers. If there are differences, then it will be the players.

Gary
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
GoldenRedux GoldenRedux is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2006
1
Default

I cannot agree with the review. I thought the title looked awful when I watched it last night.

Watching on my 43" Samsung 720p RP DLP from 5.5' away with the Panasonic DMP BD10 via HDMI-to-DVI set to 720p, the very same qualities described in that review rated it very low in my book. I thought the colours looked washed out and flat, the blacks looked faded, there was some graininess in darker scenes, and there was an overall softness to the image.

According to the review this was a BD-50?, well then why didn't they tweak the video bitrate on the VC-1 encoding, and where the heck is the TrueHD soundtrack? What's the point of using BD-50 then?

Last edited by GoldenRedux; 11-30-2006 at 06:35 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
shido shido is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
I cannot agree with the review. I thought the title looked awful when I watched it last night.

Watching on my 43" Samsung 720p RP DLP from 5.5' away with the Panasonic DMP BD10 via HDMI-to-DVI set to 720p, the very same qualities described in that review rated it very low in my book. I thought the colours looked washed out and flat, the blacks looked faded, there was some graininess in darker scenes, and there was an overall softness to the image.

According to the review this was a BD-50?, well then why didn't they tweak the video bitrate on the VC-1 encoding, and where the heck is the TrueHD soundtrack? What's the point of using BD-50 then?
You know, the issues you point out are probably present in the master for the film - meaning the director made the film look like that on purpose.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
Maximus Maximus is offline
Super Moderator
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
I cannot agree with the review. I thought the title looked awful when I watched it last night.

Watching on my 43" Samsung 720p RP DLP from 5.5' away with the Panasonic DMP BD10 via HDMI-to-DVI set to 720p, the very same qualities described in that review rated it very low in my book. I thought the colours looked washed out and flat, the blacks looked faded, there was some graininess in darker scenes, and there was an overall softness to the image.

According to the review this was a BD-50?, well then why didn't they tweak the video bitrate on the VC-1 encoding, and where the heck is the TrueHD soundtrack? What's the point of using BD-50 then?
Because it is a WB film.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Knight-Errant Knight-Errant is offline
Power Member
 
Knight-Errant's Avatar
 
Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shido View Post
You know, the issues you point out are probably present in the master for the film - meaning the director made the film look like that on purpose.
Well the Richard Donner films have filters on the lenses to create an ethereal look.

I've not seen the film yet, but maybe that's what Bryan Singer was going for as another film in that sequence.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
shamus shamus is online now
Special Member
 
Sep 2006
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
I cannot agree with the review. I thought the title looked awful when I watched it last night.

Watching on my 43" Samsung 720p RP DLP from 5.5' away with the Panasonic DMP BD10 via HDMI-to-DVI set to 720p, the very same qualities described in that review rated it very low in my book. I thought the colours looked washed out and flat, the blacks looked faded, there was some graininess in darker scenes, and there was an overall softness to the image.

According to the review this was a BD-50?, well then why didn't they tweak the video bitrate on the VC-1 encoding, and where the heck is the TrueHD soundtrack? What's the point of using BD-50 then?
Im glad Im not the only one to think this!!! I thought that I screwed up a setting on my Panny and then thought the disc may of only been a standard DVD. It was the softest movie Ive seen on BD yet!
Im sure its close to the masters and I dont think a higher Bitrate would of helped... Im perfectly OK with artistic visions and dont mind grain or over color saturations, but not this. Hopefully in the future, film makers will look at how their movie will look in HD before they add their "artisic visions"!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
theknub theknub is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
theknub's Avatar
 
May 2006
Default

i remember being in the theater and thinking the movie had a soft touch to it. once i was used to it though, i didn't mind. it kind of reminded me of sky captain where there is almost a featherbrushing effect on the edge of most things. my movie is in the mail (hopefully have it today). at that point i'll give a better opinion.
:)

Sony KDF-50E2000, Yamaha RX-V1700, Samsung BD-P1000, PS3 60GB, B&W 602 S2 fronts, B&W CC6 center, B&W 601 S2 rears, M&K-125 sub

-Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.

-...blacking out is, as Hemingway pointed out, a way of experiencing the great mystery of death, without dying.

-december BD's- 5/ warner 3... warner total ~15
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
GoldenRedux GoldenRedux is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2006
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 View Post
Because it is a WB film.
I know, but they are starting to annoy me. What is the point of leaving the TrueHD soundtrack off of a BD-50 release? This just seems like they are purposely trying to derail Blu-ray or something. They can see fit to put TrueHD on a 30GB HD DVD, but NOT on a 50GB BR? The excuse that no BD player can decode it doesn't cut it because, the Panasonic will with a firmware update, the PS3 does NOW and, what about future proofing?

Can you tell WB is bugging me?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
GoldenRedux GoldenRedux is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2006
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shido View Post
You know, the issues you point out are probably present in the master for the film - meaning the director made the film look like that on purpose.
Well, that's why I pointed out that I'd not seen it in the theatre and didn't know for sure if this is what it was supposed to look like in the first place. Even still, it's an awful looking film, IMO. Perhaps the BR is faithful to the original master, but the overall look of the film is far from reference, IMO.

EDIT: I thought I mentioned not seeing the film before, but I must not have mentioned that here, but elsewhere. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by GoldenRedux; 12-01-2006 at 01:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Gilead
33
523
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
I know, but they are starting to annoy me. What is the point of leaving the TrueHD soundtrack off of a BD-50 release? This just seems like they are purposely trying to derail Blu-ray or something. They can see fit to put TrueHD on a 30GB HD DVD, but NOT on a 50GB BR? The excuse that no BD player can decode it doesn't cut it because, the Panasonic will with a firmware update, the PS3 does NOW and, what about future proofing?

Can you tell WB is bugging me?
Plus the future receivers will allow us to play the TrueHD regardless of whether or not the player can decode it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Maximus Maximus is offline
Super Moderator
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
I know, but they are starting to annoy me. What is the point of leaving the TrueHD soundtrack off of a BD-50 release? This just seems like they are purposely trying to derail Blu-ray or something. They can see fit to put TrueHD on a 30GB HD DVD, but NOT on a 50GB BR? The excuse that no BD player can decode it doesn't cut it because, the Panasonic will with a firmware update, the PS3 does NOW and, what about future proofing?

Can you tell WB is bugging me?
They may be worried about paying more royalties for use of TrueHD, but there is no possible reason not to include a Linear PCM track, it's free.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
dialog_gvf dialog_gvf is offline
Moderator
 
dialog_gvf's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Toronto
320
Default

And especially since there was plenty of space left over on the 50GB disc. They could have added 96/24 LPCM and had room to spare.

As others have said, this is a clear "playing favorites" move by Warner. They aren't optimizing. And they aren't equalizing.

Paramount, on the other hand, is optimizing the MPEG-2. I saw peaks on MI-3 of >38Mbps.

Gary
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
GoldenRedux GoldenRedux is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2006
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Plus the future receivers will allow us to play the TrueHD regardless of whether or not the player can decode it.
Exactly, so what's their problem?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
Maximus Maximus is offline
Super Moderator
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
Exactly, so what's their problem?
I don't think they appreciate being told by Time Warner to support BD so they try their best not to do anything to make the BDs better or the same as their darling HD-DVDs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #16
GoldenRedux GoldenRedux is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2006
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 View Post
I don't think they appreciate being told by Time Warner to support BD so they try their best not to do anything to make the BDs better or the same as their darling HD-DVDs.
Maybe we should launch a campaign of complaint to Time Warner, and go over their heads.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
Maximus Maximus is offline
Super Moderator
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
Maybe we should launch a campaign of complaint to Time Warner, and go over their heads.
I have a feeling that the BDA might do just that, the BDA are very very friendly with TW so it definitely isn't out of the picture.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #18
GoldenRedux GoldenRedux is offline
Power Member
 
Sep 2006
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpower1987 View Post
I have a feeling that the BDA might do just that, the BDA are very very friendly with TW so it definitely isn't out of the picture.
Good, because this crippling of the Blu-ray releases by Warner is really irking me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #19
Maximus Maximus is offline
Super Moderator
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Nov 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
Good, because this crippling of the Blu-ray releases by Warner is really irking me.
Same here, while I would love for them to release The Matrix & Co. on BD, but it would irritate me if it was not optimised, and we were missing advanced audio, and a pumped up bitrate using AVC rather than VC-1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
Deciazulado Deciazulado is offline
Site Manager
 
Deciazulado's Avatar
 
Aug 2006
USiberia
5
2501
2689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shido View Post
You know, the issues you point out are probably present in the master for the film - meaning the director made the film look like that on purpose.
Well If it doesn't look like this then they screwed the master in the VC-1 transfer Superman Returns @1080p

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
high def digest? General Chat junglalien 2 04-02-2008 01:33 PM
Gattaca Review @ High-def-digest Blu-ray Movies - North America UTVOL06 20 04-01-2008 07:48 PM
Is High Def Digest Down? Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology Living Near Shamu 42 12-11-2007 12:10 AM
Fantastic Four review (High-Def Digest) Blu-ray Movies - North America Jeff® 7 11-28-2006 09:20 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:22 AM.