COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Between the Buried and Me: Future Sequence - Live at the Fidelitorium (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
TerrorVision / The Video Dead (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
The Final Terror (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Step Up All In (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

Feb 2008
Default Can PS3 play region-free Blu ray movies?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums so a little help would be much appreciated.

I am planning to get a PS3 for the sole purpose of its Blu Ray capabilities.

I was so determined to get one that I went to the store to pick mine up, but the salesman gave me a shocker that it will only be restricted to Region B movies, I can't even play Region-Free Blu-Ray movies.

I was really put off by that and decided not to buy it. SO what I really wanted to know is:

1. Can the Region B PS3 play Region-free Blu-Ray movies?
2. Can the Region B PS3 play region-free DVD movies?

Anyone who has tried playing region-free blu-ray movies and DVDs can please help me out.

If the answer is Yes, then I'm going and getting my PS3 without wasting any time.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

"Region free" movies should play in any PS3...thats why its called region free.

I have region A PS3 and play region free bluray movies from the Uk. So I think either the salesman is misinformed, or im wrong.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

There really is no such thing as a region free Blu-ray movie. There are many titles coded as "Region ABC", meaning any BD player worldwide can play them. Many people mistakenly refer to them as region free when in fact they just have 3 separate region codes. There are only those three regions. The salesman was an idiot. Your Region B Player can play any BD coded ABC or B.

According to the latest Blu-ray stats webpage, 66.52% of Blu-rays are "region free". Use the following site to find out what releases are region free or not:

http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/

Thanks given by:
Dick Laurent 97 (06-02-2014)
Old 02-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2007
Darkside of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
There really is no such thing as a region free Blu-ray movie. There are many titles coded as "Region ABC", meaning any BD player worldwide can play them. Many people mistakenly refer to them as region free when in fact they just have 3 separate region codes. There are only those three regions. The salesman was an idiot. Your Region B Player can play any BD coded ABC or B.

According to the latest Blu-ray stats webpage, 66.52% of Blu-rays are "region free". Use the following site to find out what releases are region free or not:

http://www.blurayregioncodes.com/
Thats good then you can import any region abc BD to play on your BD player.

Thats awesome!
[My Hardware]:
[HDTV: Element LCD HDTV Model: FLX-2211B]

[BD Player: Sony Playstation 3 500GB Ultra-slim Console with Dualshock 3[x2] Controller & BD Remote]
[My Software]:
[BDs [Total: 74 ] { Games }: 14 (And Advancing)/{ Videos Total: 60 (Films) 57 (TV Shows) 3 }: (And Advancing)][DVDs: 258(Not Advancing)]

[My BD Collection] // [My PSN]: EvolutionCherry

Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #5

Feb 2008

Yay that really is a relief for me now

Also, do standalone Blu-Ray Players work the same way as the PS3 one?

I mean, are Blu-Ray players region-coded too? Like the PS3.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Quote:
Many people mistakenly refer to them as region free when in fact they just have 3 separate region codes. There are only those three regions.
so being "Region ABC" and there are only regions A, B, and C...how is using the term "Region Free" incorrect?

what region will it not play in?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #7

Feb 2008

I guess he means the term region-free is used on stuff that has no region mentioned at all.

Whereas on a Blu-Ray they do mention the region ABC so it can't really be region-free that way. Its just a term people use now.

Just my .02

Old 02-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

well, I think if someone says "region free" for BD its a no brainer.

If you are to look at the disc it will read "Region ABC"...understandable.

But when casually talking from one person to another, to say Region Free means essentially the same thing.

Last edited by crackinhedz; 02-24-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

I use the Amazon deals to get USA region ABC discs. Although use the URL above to check for compatibility because not all discs are labelled ABC even though they are.

Also, even if the movie is out in the UK or USA, check to see if the versions are matched. Example. Underworld unrated has a better picture on USA version than UK.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #10

Jan 2008

i don't know how long this region ABC thing is going to last. Now that bluray is the victor, I'd expect to see all studios specifically region coding their releases.
Ascend Acoustics 340 SE front/center speakers
Insignia surrounds
BIC H-100 subwoofer
Onkyo TX-SR805 AVR
QSC RMX 2450 pro amp for L/R fronts, RMX 1850HD for center
PS3 60gb with DTS-HD MA
Westinghouse 37w3 1080p

Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #11

Feb 2008
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambrian View Post
i don't know how long this region ABC thing is going to last. Now that bluray is the victor, I'd expect to see all studios specifically region coding their releases.
Nothing like being the rain cloud on my sunny day there. *lol* I don't want to see region codes on the Blu-rays. I know that it's going to happen but don't really want to be reminded that it will become a reality now that the war is over.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #12

Feb 2008

Thanks for the help guys, today I am a proud owner of a PS3

Well I found this rather weird, but, my PS3 package when opened had a PSP warranty card. :s

Is that in all standard packs?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #13

May 2009

Hi All, not strictly a Blu Ray question but hoped someone could help out anyway. When I try to play Standard PAL 2 DVD's I get an incorrect region messgae on my PS3. The only reason I bought a PS3 was to play blu ray DVD's, but this leaves me appreehensive that I will not be able to play Blu Ray once I get some.

I presumed DVD's would just work. Is there any setting I can change on the PS3 in order to allow me to watch stnadard DVD's? (they're all originals)

Old 05-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey77 View Post
Hi All, not strictly a Blu Ray question but hoped someone could help out anyway. When I try to play Standard PAL 2 DVD's I get an incorrect region messgae on my PS3. The only reason I bought a PS3 was to play blu ray DVD's, but this leaves me appreehensive that I will not be able to play Blu Ray once I get some.

I presumed DVD's would just work. Is there any setting I can change on the PS3 in order to allow me to watch stnadard DVD's? (they're all originals)
Dvds are kept in their original region on Blu-ray disc players and so are Blu-ray discs for their regions. So if you bought a PS3 in the Pal area of Region 2 then the Pal dvds will work. If you have an American PS3 or at least bought a PS3 in an area that doesn't support Pal then no it won't play.
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 05-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #15

Dec 2008

I also use this very helpful and regularly updated website on which U.S. Blu Ray Titles are Region Free and which are not, ESPECIALLY New Releases. I don't need to use it anymore, now I got a Kogan Blu-Ray Disc Player that is Region Free.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Generally, FOX, New Release Sony, New Line, Lionsgate Blu Ray releases are REGION LOCKED. Also, new studios like Summit Entertainment (Twilight, Know1ng) are REGION LOCKED as well.

Last edited by mlim77; 05-13-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #16

May 2009
New York, NY

I have done quite a bit of research on the region coding controversy with the PS3s, and found an index of blu-ray discs that are region UNLOCKED and play on U.S. PS3 models.

I just received two Blu Ray discs from the UK. Both are region un-locked. I insert them into the system, they begin to play, the studio logo shows, and then suddenly it says "Video cannot be played."

Is it impossible to play these? Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I need a certain output setting on the PS3 or a certain setting on the TV? I'm using HDMI connection, if that makes a difference.

I know only HD will work (so standard special features, for example, won't) but the discs claim to be 1080p and 1080i.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

Which discs?

Have you updated the ps3 to the latest firmware? It usually prompts automatically if you are connected to the internet.
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83

Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #18

May 2009
New York, NY

The latest (2.76 or whatever) that just came out had an error downloading last evening, I was going to try that and hope it worked, but it kept facing an error. If it doesn't work tonight, I will update using a USB stick.

It's Being Human Series One and Demons Series One from the UK.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

This is just speculation....Could one or both of them have been encoded at 50hz instead of 24p or 60p?

Judging by past releases this seems like the only scenario where the disc could be the problem as these two companies tend to release region-free in the UK(2 Entertain and Sony, respectively).

I would try the update again, as that may be the problem
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83

Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #20

May 2009
New York, NY

Thank you! I will definitely update and hope that does it. Otherwise, any suggestions? If they were encoded at 50hz, are they impossible to play, or is there a setting (output on PS3 or input on HDTV) that may help?

Thanks!

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders