Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 AM   #1

Feb 2008
Default Les Miserables In Concert

Does anyone have any info on whether the Les Miserables in Concert from the 90s is coming to Blu? BBC Video just released a new DVD, but I don't want to shell out $34.99 list for it.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 02-04-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Les Misérables in Concert: The 25th Anniversary Blu-ray
Les Misérables in Concert: The 25th Anniversary Blu-ray Review

Last edited by Deciazulado; 02-04-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Mar 2009
Default Error in the review

Sam Barks did not win that Nancy competition. She came third.

But she's great
Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2008
San Antonio Texas

I just want to know when Les Miserables will be tranferred to the BIG screen as a movie musical. That would be HUGE, wouldn't it...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jonny- View Post
Sam Barks did not win that Nancy competition. She came third.

But she's great
Anyone fancy correcting the review?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Les-Mi.../19531/#Review
Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2video2 View Post
I just want to know when Les Miserables will be tranferred to the BIG screen as a movie musical. That would be HUGE, wouldn't it...
Totally agree. I can't wait for Miss Saigon, I hope they are still moving forward with it, I saw it announced about 6 months ago in Daily Variety.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #7

Dec 2009
South Jersey

I do have to say that I disappointed that the 10th Anniversary concert is not on blu ray yet. What the bleep are they waiting for?
My Mission Statement: Be a good person. Be fair, just and honorable. Follow the golden rule. Show Love, respect and mercy.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2008
Mississippi

Same here. I didn't like the 25th concert nearly as well. Partly due to the Jonas kid as Marius. Michael Ball, or a reasonable facsimile, he is not.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
I do have to say that I disappointed that the 10th Anniversary concert is not on blu ray yet. What the bleep are they waiting for?
this

+1
Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
It would...TOO huge for the stage unions.
That was the reason that most musicals didn't make it to the screen between '83 and '03--Except for "A Chorus Line", which was ready to close anyway, and "Producers", which Lane & Broderick had already left anyway.

There was a Mis movie floated in the mid-90's , but somehow, that didn't happen--
And all we got was the Liam Neeson non-musical version, and the 10th-Anniversary video....Which didn't exactly stage the musical either.

(Hint: Have you ever wondered why we only get making-of specials for most current musicals, or only see the cast in the rehearsal room recording the cast album?)
Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

I want to see West Side Story redone, its about time. Btw, has anyone seen the Glen Close version of South Pacific? I have and while I haven't seen the original, I have read that the original is much less realistic and over dramatic, and it looks to be, just by looking at the cover.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
I want to see West Side Story redone, its about time.
Are you kidding? What could possibly be improved?
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #13

Dec 2009
South Jersey

Quote:
I don't know . . . Hollywood has a long history of screwing up stage musicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
It would...TOO huge for the stage unions.
not sure what you mean here.

Quote:
That was the reason that most musicals didn't make it to the screen between '83 and '03--Except for "A Chorus Line", which was ready to close anyway, and "Producers", which Lane & Broderick had already left anyway.
I always thought it was because the market for musicals had just dried up.

Quote:
(Hint: Have you ever wondered why we only get making-of specials for most current musicals, or only see the cast in the rehearsal room recording the cast album?)
sorry, I don't get the hint either.

Quote:
I want to see West Side Story redone, its about time.
why? why fix what isn't broken?

Quote:
Btw, has anyone seen the Glen Close version of South Pacific? I have and while I haven't seen the original, I have read that the original is much less realistic and over dramatic, and it looks to be, just by looking at the cover.
I have seen both, but I haven't seen the Glen Close version in years, so I can't compare them accurately. But I can say I think the original is very good, and I do say so.
My Mission Statement: Be a good person. Be fair, just and honorable. Follow the golden rule. Show Love, respect and mercy.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #14

Feb 2011

I have the 10th anniversary concert on DVD, waiting for the Blu-ray upgrade. I also have the 25th anniversary Blu-ray, and I agree, it lacks the magic. In two months time I am going to see the live version of the 25th anniversary show. I am really disappointed that the musical hasn't hit the big screen. Hopefully soon. I would also like to see Miss Saigon on the big screen, as I love the stage show.

Rent is the only modern musical that I can think of that has a movie version. Not only does it have a movie, there is a dvd of the final performance of the original cast during the final Broadway performance.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Rent is the only modern musical that I can think of that has a movie version. Not only does it have a movie, there is a dvd of the final performance of the original cast during the final Broadway performance.
(Take it you mean the only modern musical with a concert and movie version--There's been a fair amount of recent 90's/00's-musical movies in the post-Chicago renaissance, including The Producers, Hairspray, Passing Strange, and Universal's constant promises to get "Wicked" into production any minute now.
There had been numerous attempts to get movies of "Cats" and "Into the Woods" going during the '82-'02 "blackout", but the direct-video stage versions pretty much led the industry for most of the decade.)
Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #16

Dec 2009
South Jersey

Quote:
(Take it you mean the only modern musical with a concert and movie version--There's been a fair amount of recent 90's/00's-musical movies in the post-Chicago renaissance, including The Producers, Hairspray, Passing Strange, and Universal's constant promises to get "Wicked" into production any minute now.
There had been numerous attempts to get movies of "Cats" and "Into the Woods" going during the '82-'02 "blackout", but the direct-video stage versions pretty much led the industry for most of the decade.)
you forgot about Phantom of the Opera and Sweeney Todd.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #17
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
you forgot about Phantom of the Opera and Sweeney Todd.
(AND Dreamgirls, but didn't know where the OP was drawing the line at "modern" musicals.
Figured he meant 90's and not 80's. Darn, forgot "Nine", too, but never liked that one.)

Quote:
I don't know . . . Hollywood has a long history of screwing up stage musicals.
not sure what you mean here.
I always thought it was because the market for musicals had just dried up.
It was a combination of the unions AND Hollywood screwing them up:

Generally, having the movie version of a show means that out-of-town tourists don't have to come into NYC to keep the show going--So if you see a movie version in production, the company doesn't expect it to run another year, they're readying the movie as "document" of it (like when Lane and Broderick were about to leave The Producers), and getting the retirement watch ready.
There was a particularly big blowup in the early 80's after Showtime tried airing a live broadcast of one Broadway show, and after that, unions made it tougher and tougher to get a current like Les Mis or Phantom going in the 90's, to the point that a "concert" video or "Making of the cast album" was the only version they'd allow.
(Although Andrew Lloyd Webber was able to create his own company for the direct-videos of "Cats" and "Joseph/Dreamcoat", and for a while, that sold so well and transcripted the musical, it made producers wonder why they were bothering spending all that money on movie locations.)

Of course, didn't help either that the stunt-casting studio-deal ideas for Big Movie Musicals got sillier after "Annie" and kept dying in development heck (John Travolta in "Cats"? An animated Cats? Dudley Moore in "La Cage"?), or that "Rent" was one of the only major Broadway musicals we had at all for most of the mid-90's...
And by that point, halfway through the 90's, an entire generation of kids had grown up never literally seeing a musical at all, and wondered why people would go to a movie where people sang out loud in public...That's, like, WEIRD!
By putting it in the context of "Dream sequences" (duh ), "Chicago" came out, reminded everybody, and won the Oscar--That was the end of the blackout, and all those stalled 90's projects like Phantom, Sweeney, Rent and Dreamgirls got jumpstarted again without the loopy stunt-cast ideas.

(Except for all those dopes who thought "Moulin Rouge" was one of the "classic musicals" for coming out first...Now, admit it, don't you feel kinda silly, in retrospect?)

Last edited by EricJ; 03-23-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

I have seen the stage musical of Les Miserables several time. I have not seen these anniversary concert performances. However, looking at the descriptions and casts of both, I can see where the 10th anniversary performance would be far superior. I can't wait for a BD as well!
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #19

Dec 2009
South Jersey

Quote:
There was a particularly big blowup in the early 80's after Showtime tried airing a live broadcast of one Broadway show,
out of curiosity, which show was it?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
out of curiosity, which show was it?
Showtime had already aired concert video-airings of Sweeney Todd and The Pirates of Penzance in '82, but when they got the pay-per-view bug and tried airing a live from-the-theater broadcast of Gregory Hines in "Sophisticated Ladies", unions picketed.

(The entertainment industry was paranoid that PPV would "take over" movies and TV back then--Which later mutated into the studios' obsession with "streaming movies" today.)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America