Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (Blu-ray)
$2.78

Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70

Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8 hrs ago
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #1

Nov 2007
Default Help with center channel

I'm looking for a new center channel for my home system. Everything around me is klipsch. Should I get a center channel with dual 6.5'' woofers or will dual 5.25'' woofers be enough? Thanks for any suggestions/comments.
Sony 50" KDF-50E2000
Sony Playstation 3 60GB
Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver
Klipsch C-3 Center
Klipsch B-3 Bookshelves
Klipsch S-1 Surrounds
Yamaha YST-SW225 Subwoofer
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Baltimore, MD

I've been on this same hunt. I was looking at getting the RC-52. Heard that the 62 is a better match with the RF-82's. Yesterday I took a couple CD's to a local store that carried both. The RF-62 sounded MUCH better than the 52. Had them playing through the same setup to try and control as much as possible.

At one point just the center was playing while the volume was cranked up, and it really held its own. I asked to do the same with the 52 and although it did well, there was a difference in clarity.

My advice would be to find a store that has both, give them a listen and go from there. (IMO the 62 is the way to go, but I'm hesitant to say more as I don't want to sway you).
Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Seattle, WA.

Considering the size of your other speakers, it should be fine.
JVC 1080p 70" TV, Onkyo 805 Receiver, Panny BD30 Blu-ray Player, Infinity Tower Speakers & Center Channel, Boston Acoustic Tower Surrounds, Definitive Audio "Reference Series" SuperCube 1800 Watt Subwoofer.

Hobbies: Theoretical Quantum Physics/Mechanics, String Theory Supportive Evidence, Particle Accelerator Dark Matter/Dark Energy Gravity Wave Confinements in linear Space/Time displacement fields, Sub-Atomic Particle Annihilation and Micro-Black Hole hyper gravity analysis.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2008
Washington

I'm in the same boat currently, I have Klipsch F3's up front, F1's for rears and some S1's for surround backs. I currently have been using a Bose vs10, sounds great but i know its not matched. I can't decide whether to order online the Klipsch C3 or go buy the C2 at the store. they don't carry the C3 in stores in Washington. anyone own the c3? specs have it as a very large center channel.

ps, running these with an elite94
Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Power Member

Jan 2008
Washington

anyone here own the Klipsch c3
Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jun 2007

You really want to get the center speaker that closely matches the timber of your front right and left speakers. On the Klipsch website what they are pairing your fronts with the C-3 which has a similar tweeter as the B-3's and two of the same woofers. Klipsch goes with the premise, I believe of having the center channel having higher wattage capability and dual woofers to enable a fuller sound in the center. Seems like a great match.
LIVING ROOM
Samsung UN46B8000, Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH AVR, Oppo BDP-93, Pioneer Elite CLD-95 laserdisc player, Sony VCR, Bang & Olufsen turntable, Triad Gold Satellites (4) & Gold Center Channel, Triad Silver Subwoofer, Logitech Harmony 890 remote

HOME OFFICE
Samsung LN46A650, Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR, Oppo BDP-83, A/D/S L300C (5), A/D/S L200C (2), A/D/S SW5 subwoofer, Logitech Harmony One remote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Power Member

Mar 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAllmaniac View Post
I'm looking for a new center channel for my home system. Everything around me is klipsch. Should I get a center channel with dual 6.5'' woofers or will dual 5.25'' woofers be enough? Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Don't use speaker size a a measurement for which to get.

Check the specs then listen to them.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #8

Nov 2007

id go with the rc-62s because it can handle a lower frequency.

if you can find an RC-35 get that one.
System is very busy now.
Thank you for visiting KONAMI ID portal.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would like you to try to access again in later.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewuf View Post
You really want to get the center speaker that closely matches the timber of your front right and left speakers. On the Klipsch website what they are pairing your fronts with the C-3 which has a similar tweeter as the B-3's and two of the same woofers. Klipsch goes with the premise, I believe of having the center channel having higher wattage capability and dual woofers to enable a fuller sound in the center. Seems like a great match.
what he said, i got the klipsch rc-62 paired with the rf-82's and they match perfectly.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 02-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

I also put very high priority on timbre matching. If possible, how about using the same B-3 as a center channel? This would be optimal.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 02-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #11

Jul 2007
Central NH

Speakers need to match sonics. I mean they have to sound the same with the same material. Try a movie soundtrack that has sound that travels across the front stage (Mask of Zorro), then listen as the sound moves. Many center channels that don not match will make the sound change timbre as it switches speakers. In Mask of Zorro, Zorro walks on to the stage during the opening credits and moves from Front left to center. If you speakers match then the click of his boot heels sounds the same. IF not you hear click, click and then clack or clunk. I can't think of a BD to use as an example but I am sure others on the forum can suggest one.
Epson HC720 projector and 106" Elite power screen; Sony Bravia LCD and Panansonic Plasma; Sony PS3s (2);Oppo BDP-83; Denon 3801 & 1905 receivers: Klipsch reference system with 7.1 speakers & Mirage Nanosats 5.1: HSU research subwoofor. Can you say "audio orgasm"!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #12

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL

On of the benefits of staying with a 'matched' front sound stage (Center, Left and Right) is for timbre and tonal balance and identical cross over points. Mixing brands only contribute to headaches. As far as woofer size in the center, the larger the center woofers, the more natural a voice like James Earl Jones will sound (and we know how low his voice goes!). You don't want bass voices or instruments for that matter to sound nasel, nor do you want to redirect low frequency information to be sent to a sub. It would be terrible to be watching James Earl Jones in something like Patriot Games or Hunt for Red October, directly in front of you on the screen and his voice sent to a sub outside the front sound stage. The brain will freek out !!!. So, bottom line, stay with the same brand as your left and right fronts and get a model with good size bass drivers in them. Then, you won't be disappointed. [Jim]
Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

I can only reiterate Jim's point - timbre matching is very important across the front three speakers. You don't want a pan of someone going from left to right to sound hollow as they cross the middle of the soundstage, which will happen if the frequency response is not similar to the front speakers (largely why THX recommends the same size and crossover for all speakers) and at the same time you don't want them to keep the same range, but SOUND different as they cross the soundstage, which can happen by mixing brands.

For the Klipsch example, if you had F3's as your fronts no doubt you will liekly get a more accurate soundstage if you chose the C3 over the C2. If you had a screen there would be nothing wrong with getting one more F3 to place behind it either for your centre channel.

The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers