Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.29
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Juan of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Iron Sky (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #1461

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamradionut View Post
Hi All, I have the same problem as thefly except mine is on the Golden Compass BD. I can change the audio setting from Direct to Mix and the crackling noise in the rear speakers goes away, however when I change the S550 audio setting to Mix I only get DTS 7.1 and not DTS-HD MA 7.1.

So thefly when you change your settings you only get the DTS audio and not the DTS-HD-MA.

I have other BD that have the DTS-HD-MA 7.1 and they play like there suppose to with the S550 audio setting on Direct, and the rear speakers do not crackle and pop.

So folks is I thing this is a problem with my BD of Golden Compass, can anyone verify this.

Thanks,
HamRadioNut
Please see my response to the thefly above. Let us know your results too.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #1462

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Keep the audio on "direct" and try the following:

Try turning ATT "on" and let us know if it stops the issue. By doing this you are reducing the analog output volume (thereby reducing possible distortion). I believe that turning ATT on reduces the volume by about 6 db. Test it at your normal volume (on your preamp/receiver) and then retest it by increasing your normal pream/receiver volume by 6 db and let us know the results.
Sorry, ATT?

EDIT: See now what setting you are talking about, I will try this later this week - thanks

Last edited by thefly; 03-09-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #1463
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys

Why the F can't I find this stupid thing anywhere?

MOMMY
Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #1464

Nov 2008
Default Sony S550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Please see my response to the thefly above. Let us know your results too.
Thanks for the advise Frank, I will try this and see how it works, however I have not had to do this in the past with any of my other DTS-HD-MA 7.1 BD and they all sounded great. So this would be a temporary fix at best, which leads me to believe something is wrong with the disk.

I will Try it though and post back.

thefly, look under Audio Settings, then Audio ATT

EDIT: Frank I just tried this and it did not make any difference. I still hear the crackling in the rear speakers.

HamRadioNut
Sony Grand Wega KDF-60XS955 1080i HDTV
JVC Audio/Video Control Receiver RX-8030VBK
Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-S550
Dish Network DVR-625 Receiver
Infinity Interlude Speaker System 5.1
Velodyne DPS-10 Powered Sub 125Watts

Last edited by Hamradionut; 03-09-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #1465

Nov 2008
Question Sony S550

Hi All,

In the mean time I have another situation I would like to discuss, I watched the BD Wall-E over the weekend, Great movie. In the Setup menu I noticed a section in there about Maximize Your Home Theater. I went into this just to see what it does, however I found out that when I got to number 2. Aspect Ratio & Framing, there is a round plate in the middle of the screen with what is suppose to be 3 Squares around the outer edges. The screen before this states that you should change your Widescreen/Zoom option on your TV or BD player so that you see as many of these squares as possible without distorting the circle.

When I look at mine I only see two squares, and nothing I change gets that third square in view.

So my question is has anyone else done this and if so how many squares did you see???

Thanks,
HamRadioNut
Sony Grand Wega KDF-60XS955 1080i HDTV
JVC Audio/Video Control Receiver RX-8030VBK
Sony Blu-ray Player BDP-S550
Dish Network DVR-625 Receiver
Infinity Interlude Speaker System 5.1
Velodyne DPS-10 Powered Sub 125Watts
Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #1466

Feb 2009

Quote:
Thanks for the advise Frank, I will try this and see how it works, however I have not had to do this in the past with any of my other DTS-HD-MA 7.1 BD and they all sounded great. So this would be a temporary fix at best, which leads me to believe something is wrong with the disk.

I will Try it though and post back.

thefly, look under Audio Settings, then Audio ATT

EDIT: Frank I just tried this and it did not make any difference. I still hear the crackling in the rear speakers.

HamRadioNut
Thanks for the update - I will give it a shot on Dark City this week anyways just to see.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #1467

Feb 2009

Quote:
Hi All,

In the mean time I have another situation I would like to discuss, I watched the BD Wall-E over the weekend, Great movie. In the Setup menu I noticed a section in there about Maximize Your Home Theater. I went into this just to see what it does, however I found out that when I got to number 2. Aspect Ratio & Framing, there is a round plate in the middle of the screen with what is suppose to be 3 Squares around the outer edges. The screen before this states that you should change your Widescreen/Zoom option on your TV or BD player so that you see as many of these squares as possible without distorting the circle.

When I look at mine I only see two squares, and nothing I change gets that third square in view.

So my question is has anyone else done this and if so how many squares did you see???

Thanks,
HamRadioNut

I did this and was able to change my TV settings (Sharp Aquos) to "dot to dot" and I was able to see all 3 squares. Interestingly though, I couldn't get the rest of the tests to work as the disk just skipped to the next screen not allowing me to adjust the colour settings etc.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #1468

Feb 2009

Well I just got back from Fry's Electronics and the salesman was adamant about how you can only hear the HD dts MA sound thru HDMI only. I tried to tell him that with the Sony s550 that you can get HD sound thru multichannel connections and he said no way. According to him you can only get the sound thru an hdmi connection and a HD receiver with hdmi inputs. Also he was playing a disc and switching from dts to hd dts to hear the difference. The HD sound was definitely louder but I wonder if it was set that way. Also he had the 7.1 setup going. I don't think it was an accurate representation for showing the differences between regular dts and HD dts but maybe I'm wrong. From everything I've read on this thread, you can get HD dts thru the multichannel connections. Have I misinterpreted what I've read here?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #1469

Nov 2008
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklim55 View Post
Well I just got back from Fry's Electronics and the salesman was adamant about how you can only hear the HD dts MA sound thru HDMI only. I tried to tell him that with the Sony s550 that you can get HD sound thru multichannel connections and he said no way. According to him you can only get the sound thru an hdmi connection and a HD receiver with hdmi inputs. Also he was playing a disc and switching from dts to hd dts to hear the difference. The HD sound was definitely louder but I wonder if it was set that way. Also he had the 7.1 setup going. I don't think it was an accurate representation for showing the differences between regular dts and HD dts but maybe I'm wrong. From everything I've read on this thread, you can get HD dts thru the multichannel connections. Have I misinterpreted what I've read here?
Nope, not a bit. You are correct, and the Fry's worker is wrong. I intentionally purchased the S550 because of its 7.1 analog out for HD audio. The volume might be a little lower with analog, but the remote's display button always brings up dts HD.
Samsung UN46F8000
OPPO BDP-103, Sony PS4
Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020
Dali Zensor 3 (LR), Zensor Vokal (C)
Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #1470

Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA

I'm using analog and I do get HD sound. It sounds like he's just trying to sell you a new AVR in addition to the player. Of course, it isn't beyond credibility to believe that he is just plain ignorant. I had a salesman at HH Gregg that didn't even know what digital TV was (he thought it was synonymous with flat panel)! What they don't know, they fake. As far as they are concerned, if they make the sale, that's all that matters.

Get your technical information from Blu-ray.com and don't ask the salesmen technical questions. Just ask financial questions like, "is it going on sale", or "is there a rebate". That stuff they know.

BDP__: Sony BDP-S550 _____ TV_: Sony KDL-52XBR4 _____ AVR_: Denon 4802 7.2
LAN__: 2 10/100 Ethernet ports ______________ Stand: Standout Designs N702
Spkrs: 2 Mirage Omni 260, Omni CC, 4 OmniSats Subs: Prestige S10 & JBL 120
Pwr Conditioner__: APC Smart-UPS 1000VA LCD RM 2U, True Sine Wave Inverter
Old 03-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #1471

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_HD View Post
I'm using analog and I do get HD sound. It sounds like he's just trying to sell you a new AVR in addition to the player. Of course, it isn't beyond credibility to believe that he is just plain ignorant. I had a salesman at HH Gregg that didn't even know what digital TV was (he thought it was synonymous with flat panel)! What they don't know, they fake. As far as they are concerned, if they make the sale, that's all that matters.

Get your technical information from Blu-ray.com and don't ask the salesmen technical questions. Just ask financial questions like, "is it going on sale", or "is there a rebate". That stuff they know.
You're right. I've got to stop asking tech questions to sales people. I get accurate answers on this site. I have to admit I started looking the newer AVR strictly because of the easy HDMI connection. Also the sound setup would be easier, ie. boosting the subwoofer, etc. It seems that with an HDMI connection you would basically be adjusting the volume. Yamaha seems to have some reasonably priced AVR's.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #1472

Feb 2009

Quote:
Jmobie is absolutely correct. Your salesman is displaying the usual level of ignorance of your average sales guy.The classic example was from a mate of mine who asked the salseman for an HD STB only to be told that they were not available, you have to get a PVR to get HD TV receiver.
Toshiba LCD 37WL48A,
Sony Projector VPL-HS60,
Sony BDP-S550, Sony PVR SVR-HD700 (500 GHDD UG),
NAD AV Rx NADT-753,
Mono Price HDMI Switch HDX-402,
XBox running XBMC,
Popcorn Hour A100,
Dynaudio 5.1 speakers
Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #1473

Oct 2007

Quote:
The guy is an idiot. What does he think the analog outputs are there for anyway? Every BluRay player made with analog outputs will send every single audio codex that it will decode over the analog connection. If the player can decode it, you can send the signal analog. Maybe he thinks that the analog output has the same limitations as the legacy optical/coaxil outputs, which as we all know will not transmit the HD audio due to bandwidth limitations.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #1474

Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
You're right. I've got to stop asking tech questions to sales people. I get accurate answers on this site. I have to admit I started looking the newer AVR strictly because of the easy HDMI connection. Also the sound setup would be easier, ie. boosting the subwoofer, etc. It seems that with an HDMI connection you would basically be adjusting the volume. Yamaha seems to have some reasonably priced AVR's.
There are some advantages to upgrading to a new AVR, but you don't need one to get HD sound. The only drawback I have is the silence from the back surrounds when I play a 5.1-channel soundtrack. Since using the analog inputs bypasses the AVR digital processing, I can't synthesize the back channels. But don't buy a new AVR unless you really want one. Mine still sounds pretty amazing even without the HDMI interface and the features it brings. I will eventually upgrade to a new AVR, but I have other things I need more right now, like more Blu-ray movies!

BDP__: Sony BDP-S550 _____ TV_: Sony KDL-52XBR4 _____ AVR_: Denon 4802 7.2
LAN__: 2 10/100 Ethernet ports ______________ Stand: Standout Designs N702
Spkrs: 2 Mirage Omni 260, Omni CC, 4 OmniSats Subs: Prestige S10 & JBL 120
Pwr Conditioner__: APC Smart-UPS 1000VA LCD RM 2U, True Sine Wave Inverter
Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #1475

Nov 2008
Maui, HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_HD View Post
There are some advantages to upgrading to a new AVR, but you don't need one to get HD sound. The only drawback I have is the silence from the back surrounds when I play a 5.1-channel soundtrack. Since using the analog inputs bypasses the AVR digital processing, I can't synthesize the back channels. But don't buy a new AVR unless you really want one. Mine still sounds pretty amazing even without the HDMI interface and the features it brings. I will eventually upgrade to a new AVR, but I have other things I need more right now, like more Blu-ray movies!
+1
Emotiva: UMC-1 | UPA-7 | ERC-1
Polk: RTiA7's, RTiA5's, CSiA4 | SVS PC12-NSD sub
Sony BDP-S550 | Philips 52" 1080p | Kordz EVS HDMI Cables
Harmony One - One Remote to Rule Them All
Old 03-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #1476

Aug 2007
Niagara, Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to Robmx Send a message via Yahoo to Robmx

I have a question... just picked this up and VERY impressed with it so far ! Now for the back USB that has the 1GB card, could i use a usb hub and a wi-fi usb adaptor plus the 1GB card all connected together through the hub?
Sony BDP- S550
40" Sony Bravia V-series ( Just Sold )
37 " Sharp Aquos 1080i (bedroom)
Bell Express Vu TV 6100 HD Receiver
Yamaha RX-V663 (using 5.1 only)
Nintendo Wii
15" Macbook Pro Intel Duo Core 2 w/ 10.6 Snow Leopard
BD's - 50
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #1477

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmx View Post
I have a question... just picked this up and VERY impressed with it so far ! Now for the back USB that has the 1GB card, could i use a usb hub and a wi-fi usb adaptor plus the 1GB card all connected together through the hub?
Currently, the USB on the back is for BD Live content only. The S550 can't utilize a wi-fi adapter. If you really need wi-fi, you might want to wait on the S560, coming later this year, which will have built in wi-fi capability.You will lose the analogs out though.

Last edited by slimm; 03-21-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #1478
Power Member

Apr 2008
Thumbs up

Just got mine. Will hook it up to my system this Wed. Can't wait !
Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #1479
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys

Where did you find it? I can't find it anywhere!
The artist formerly known as O_V_N.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #1480
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

The reason you can't find it anywhere (almost) is because they are not in production anymore and they sold most of their inventory. It will be replaced by the S560 witch doesn't seem to have a Analog Output anymore (from the specs)
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders