Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$92.19
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #1

Jul 2007
Marlton, NJ
Send a message via AIM to lokus
Default The Wire on Blu-ray?

Am I the only one that would like to see The Wire on Blu-ray? I don't know much about HBO's track record with developing BD or even if they are a full BD supporter. This was an excellent show (series finale airs Sunday) and I would love to have all 5 seasons on BD.
Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
Panasonic Viera TC-L32C12
Playstation 3 (60gb)
Playstation 3 Slim (120gb)
My live Blu-ray chat channel: http://chat.efnet.org/ , channel #blu-ray
Classic Film Fanatics - Classic Movie/TV and Memorabilia Collectors Forum
Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #2

Aug 2007
Honolulu, HI

the crazy part is that I have bought the 4 seasons on DVD and if it came out on BLU I would totally buy them again. I absolutely love that show and I am sooo pissed that the finale is Sunday. BUt I hear they are thinking about making a movie
Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

I doesn't air in HD, so I'm not sure if it was even produced for HD release.
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Power Member

May 2007
Charm City

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post
Am I the only one that would like to see The Wire on Blu-ray? I don't know much about HBO's track record with developing BD or even if they are a full BD supporter. This was an excellent show (series finale airs Sunday) and I would love to have all 5 seasons on BD.
hell no, this is one of the best shows on tv right now. being that i live in the town it was filmed in, i'm slightly biased, but it's a damn good show, just like homicide was.
50" 720p Samsung DLP
Nintendo Wii
Old 03-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #5

May 2007
The District (DC if you don't know)
Send a message via MSN to seanjohn21276 Send a message via Yahoo to seanjohn21276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I doesn't air in HD, so I'm not sure if it was even produced for HD release.
HBO aired this season in HD. I got the first 4 seasons on DVD too and will rebuy all of them if HBO released them on blu-ray. It's sad that the series finale is this Sunday. First the Sopranos now the Wire. Both of my all time HBO shows are gone. Messed up part with the Wire is that HBO wouldn't give David Simon the full 13 episode season.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #6

Aug 2007
Virginia
Default The Wire On DVD

Is the wire seasons on dvd only in a 4:3 aspect ratio only? I have all four seasons, but they are all 4:3 aspect. The show is amazing in any aspect ratio, but it seems like HBo's main concern is not picture quality or aspect ratios. HBO treats The Wire like the bad seed, but it was by far the best show in recent years!
PS3 60 GB
Knightowl Da Knightmare
Old 03-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay Area PSN Id: ferris23 (aka Mr. Mute)

I've heard so many people talk about this show, and I've never seen it. I've added it to my NetFlix queue, but I'm just wondering if I should wait for it to come out in Blu....

I loved "Rome", "Entourage", and "OZ", so I'm sure HBO did a bang-up job with this one as well.
Sony Bravia 40" 1080p
Yamaha RX-V565BL 630-Watt 7-Channel Receiver
Sony PS3 60 GB (Launch)RIP
Sony PS3 120 GB Slim
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Integrated-Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Speaker System
Sennheiser RS 120 Wireless Headphones
Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Expert Member

Feb 2007
Queens, NY

The Wire is the best show HBO has ever aired and it would be great to have them on blu ray but they're still going to be 4:3 aspect because that's how the show is shot. They can blow it up to 16:9 but then the picture will be cropped
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #9

Jul 2007
Marlton, NJ
Send a message via AIM to lokus

I agree with all of you. I own all seasons on DVD and would, without a doubt, repurchase them all on Blu-ray. I thought all of The Wire episodes aired in HD on HBO. I don't currently own HBO so I couldn't tell you. I have to say that it is one of the best TV shows I have ever watched, probably because of the realism it brings to the screen. I will have to check out Homicide to see how good it is.
Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
Panasonic Viera TC-L32C12
Playstation 3 (60gb)
Playstation 3 Slim (120gb)
My live Blu-ray chat channel: http://chat.efnet.org/ , channel #blu-ray
Classic Film Fanatics - Classic Movie/TV and Memorabilia Collectors Forum
Old 03-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #10

Jan 2008
texas
Send a message via AIM to Moniker

Quote:

My signature speaks for itself.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm rich enough to justify repurchasing the first 4 seasons anytime soon.

I'm also looking forward to a Sopranos Complete Series Box Set.
Shut up and go watch The Wire.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #11

Jan 2008
texas

As someone who watches a lot of great TV, I gotta say that this is probably the greatest series in television history. Yes, I love The Sopranos, but it's not nearly as even or consistent as The Wire. The same can be said for The Simpsons, which was once the best show on TV (Seasons 3-9 or so), but again, its brilliance diminished over the years. I haven't seen the final episode yet, but I'm pretty certain it will be phenomenal if last weekend's penultimate episode was any indication.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
Power Member

Apr 2007

Quote:
I agree with all of you. I own all seasons on DVD and would, without a doubt, repurchase them all on Blu-ray. I thought all of The Wire episodes aired in HD on HBO.
David Simon decided years ago that he liked the 'gritty look' of SD and didn't want to have that looked changed part-way through the show's run. That's why its basically the ONLY HBO show not in HD... though they would be a lot happier if it was.

The episodes on HBO HD are 4:3 and upconverted. They look pretty darn good actually... but its still upconverted SD material. Interestingly, the show is shot on film (with the last two seasons being on Super 35), so a 16:9 HD version of the show is certainly possible, though they really don't want to do it.

If anyone's interested, there's a great article here about the show's cinematography. They talk about SD vs. HD and 4:3 vs 16:9 near the bottom of the article.

As much as I would love to see this in true HD... I gotta respect the wishes of the producers and DPs on this one. If they released an upconverted 4:3 version of the show on Blu-ray, though, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
HT setup: Sony 55" SXRD 1080p display, 60 GB PS3, Sony ES 7.1 Receiver, JBL Surround System

Notebook setup: Apple 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008 unibody), Intel T9400, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD; FastMac APP-6907 portable BD-ROM drive, Dell 2408WFP S-PVA 24" display, Windows Vista Business x64 (via BootCamp), PowerDVD 9 Ultra.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #13

Jan 2008
texas

If anyone reading this hasn't seen the show, but has the patience for some truly phenomenal, novelistic television, I highly recommend going to your local video store and checking out Season One. If you're not a fan by the END of the first season, don't bother moving forward. But I wouldn't even start watching it unless you're willing to invest some serious time and thought into it. It's like a great book, which can't be appreciated by only reading the first chapter or two. You need to stick it out to get the whole picture.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #14

Jul 2007
Frankfort, KY

Yes I Would Get This Also.

On A Side Note, Some How One Of My Friends Is On Like Episode Eleven Of Season Five.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #15

Jan 2008
texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-PHI-A View Post
Yes I Would Get This Also.

On A Side Note, Some How One Of My Friends Is On Like Episode Eleven Of Season Five.

That's Pretty Cool Considering That Season 5 Has Like Only 10 Episodes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

for the lazy who dont want to click jaded's link
Quote:
And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."

Asked about his next gig after The Wire Joe Chappelle had this to say, "Well, no matter what you think of it, having worked on CSI Miami, it was and is very much a hit show and that's good for me in terms of a career thing. That said, I think having been a part of The Wire will help a great deal. Having worked on The Wire for three years I've also been spoiled. The material is so good, so rare. Not even just good by TV standards, but for movies too. It's (writing is) so powerful that you read it and go 'WOW! this is GREAT.' And, in the way it's come together it's the kind of show that 20, 30 years from now people will look back and say that it defined its time. Most things being done today have a very short shelf life before they look like an artifact. The Wire will be as powerful 20 years from now as it is today."
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

I dont wach this show ether, but they way people talk about it, it must be phenomenal.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #18
Special Member

Dec 2007
Chicago

Never seen this series but alot of people talk about how good it is I just want Band Of Brothers out on blu such a awesome series
"I'm glad you aren't dead"

Sharp LC46D64U, Sharp LC65D93U, Sony KDL-52XBR3, Samsung HP-T4254, Ps3 40gb n 60gb, Xbox 360, Onkyo TX-NR905, Onkyo TX-SR605, Klipsch Icon Series, Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet III

And You Thought Bose Was Good
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #19

Jan 2008
texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I dont wach this show ether, but they way people talk about it, it must be phenomenal.
I'm not a fan of exaggeration, but I really do mean it when I say it's one of the best shows ever produced for television. But again, you need to watch it from the beginning, and like a good book, it builds with each episode. Many people watch the first disc and feel a little unenthusiastic so they abandon it completely. Big mistake.

What's also great is that each season tackles different issues. In fact, Season 2, which is possibly my favorite, is almost like watching another show entirely.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #20
Power Member

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
for the lazy who dont want to click jaded's link
Thanks. I'm lazy today.

But for those who've never seen the show... it truly is phenomenal. Certainly one of the best TV shows ever... if not THE best.
HT setup: Sony 55" SXRD 1080p display, 60 GB PS3, Sony ES 7.1 Receiver, JBL Surround System

Notebook setup: Apple 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008 unibody), Intel T9400, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD; FastMac APP-6907 portable BD-ROM drive, Dell 2408WFP S-PVA 24" display, Windows Vista Business x64 (via BootCamp), PowerDVD 9 Ultra.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists