Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Purge: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.18
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It (Blu-ray)
$22.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$211.39
Get Out (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.11
The Stranger (Blu-ray)
$16.40
Doctor Who: The Complete Ninth Series (Blu-ray)
$27.99
A Dog's Purpose (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Expanse: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$20.49
A Monster Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #1

Jul 2007
Default When will the PS3 be fixed? (missing "resume movie" function)

Unlike my seven year old (!) Sony DVD player, the PS3 is not capable of resuming a BD at the point you stopped after you turn it off, much less after you removed it from the tray.

I find it unbelievable that - even with a HD inside - Sony omitted this option. Do they seriously believe everyone has so much free time he can watch a 2-3 hour movie in one go?

I wouldn't object if that were hard to implement, but - as I said - my "ancient" DVD player (also from Sony (!)) even remembered the parking position if you removed the DVD from the tray, inserted another one and then put the first one back! (Probably remembers some disc ID).

Is this evolution backwards?

Another example why this sucks :

I currently watch Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis on DVD. Now, chronologically, you have to watch SG-1, then Atlantis, then SG-1, and so on - i.e. you always have to switch. With the PS3 this sucks big time, as you have to start from zero each time ...

Toshiba 32" WLT 68 P @720p
viewing distance 3m :confused:
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #2

Mar 2007
INDIANA

Yeah, that's frustrated me, too but I'm not going to let that hinder my entertainment. I don't like it, but it's just something I've got used to - I always check the chapter before I turn the PS3 off. Even still, the PS3 is a very high quality system. If I had to choose between short loading times and a resume function, I would choose shorter loading times (like the PS3 vs. some stand alone players).

My HD-A2 (which is the WORST ELECTRONIC PIECE OF JUNK that I've ever owned) doesn't have resume and it takes forever to turn on and then to load the disc... not to mention has issues with video on occasion which is really annoying.

Basically what I'm saying is this; I hope it's fixed in an update, but for me, it's not going to be the end of the world if it's not.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
Unlike my seven year old (!) Sony DVD player, the PS3 is not capable of resuming a BD at the point you stopped after you turn it off, much less after you removed it from the tray.

I find it unbelievable that - even with a HD inside - Sony omitted this option. Do they seriously believe everyone has so much free time he can watch a 2-3 hour movie in one go?

I wouldn't object if that were hard to implement, but - as I said - my "ancient" DVD player (also from Sony (!)) even remembered the parking position if you removed the DVD from the tray, inserted another one and then put the first one back! (Probably remembers some disc ID).

I currently watch Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis on DVD. Now, chronologically, you have to watch SG-1, then Atlantis, then SG-1, and so on - i.e. you always have to switch. With the PS3 this sucks big time, as you have to start from zero each time ...

First, I think this should have been posted in the Playstation 3 section.

Second, most new blu-ray's include bookmarking features on the disc. Which is better in my opinion then remembering where I left off. You also have the chapter selection, which you can actually use now. Never used it before, but find it mighty handy and even prefer it to remembering where I left off now.

Third, I don't believe this will ever change. So get used to it.

Fourth, I believe with Java being the intragal programming aspect of blu-ray discs it may be impossible for some titles to ever have this resume feature. This of course depends on the complexity of the disc of course. So I think bookmarking is going to be the future for resuming on blu-ray in general.

Fifth, if you don't power off the system most discs will resume once you stop and restart them. Of course this may cost you alot as the PS3 does eat up alot of power.
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

TILALLR1's UV / iTunes / Google Play / Disney DMA/DMR / Digital Copy - CODES FOR SALE

Last edited by tilallr1; 03-05-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Banned

Oct 2007

I have about 60 BD movies and I would say about 1/3 of them do start where I left off. so I think its not the PS3 but the movie itself that has the issues.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #5

Oct 2007

I just leave mine on 24/7 and if I stop a movie, it resumes where I left off until I eject it.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit

Quote:
Unlike my seven year old (!) Sony DVD player, the PS3 is not capable of resuming a BD at the point you stopped after you turn it off, much less after you removed it from the tray....
See this thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ghlight=resume
It's not a PS3 issue. It's a BD/HD DVD issue, and only with movies authored with advanced content.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Martin Logan/Modwright Instruments/Rogue Audio/Vacuum Tube Logic/Denon/Sony/Panasonic/RealTraps/ASC
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Power Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishwiseguy2006 View Post
I have about 60 BD movies and I would say about 1/3 of them do start where I left off. so I think its not the PS3 but the movie itself that has the issues.
I have a Panny BD30 and it resume playback where it left off after powering the unit off. However it does not resume playback on the Java discs that requires loading. I also owned for a brief period the Sony S300 and it didn't even resume playback on the non-Java discs after powering the unit off. So it IS a player issue, not the disc.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #8

Jan 2007

so is this a PS3 problem or does all players do this. Their are movies that are able to do resume from where it was stopped... I beleive "resident evil 2" and "superman returns" are the ones I know of. Most Blus have to be loaded at the begining, I heard some that some take up to 3 minutes to load. I think that would be the main reason you can't resume from where it was stopped.
PLaystation 3 - 60gig
Toshiba HD-A30
LG 42" LCD 1080p
Denon 3806 7.1
Bose 301 (Front Speakers)
Bose Acoustimass 10 - 5.1 (Surround)
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
H-town To Indy PSNetwork: HERETOWRECK Trophy Level: (12)

quit being lazy and find the chapter where you left off and then press play on that
Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Power Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State
Default Sony is just being cheap.....

Sony is being just plain cheap. I have owned the following Blu Ray players:

Sony PS3
Sony S300
Samsung P1200 and P1400
Panny BD10

The above players were all returned/exchanged within the 30 day return period policy by Circuit City. I currently own the Panny BD30 ( which is an awesome player)!

Of all those players, the Sony PS3 and S300 were the only ones that did not have the resume playback feature after powering off.

The Samsung and Panny players all resumed playback from power off just fine.

Keep in mind that this so called resume playback feature ONLY works for non Java discs regardless of which player....

Sony needs to get their act together. They are the main force behind Blu Ray and yet, other Blu Ray companies are putting out superior players.. Panny BD30 is a prime example.........

Last edited by Cortiz; 03-05-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #11

Nov 2007
Eastern, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Sony needs to get their act together.
Pff.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #12

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bester View Post
I just leave mine on 24/7 and if I stop a movie, it resumes where I left off until I eject it.
WOW!! based on the amount of heat mine puts out after one movie viewing I'd be afraid of melting my shelf if i left it on 24*7

'The time has come,' the Walrus said,
'To talk of many things:
Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #13

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Sony is being just plain cheap.
That's it, probably ... well, looking at the low price of the PS3, one probably can't complain ... it still sucks - I was hoping for a step forward after 7 years, not backwards ... they already got the technology ... would it have been so hard to add it to the PS3? Uh well ... probably people don't care ... just look at this thread - some don't seem to mind writing down hours/min/sec and then go through unskipable intros (on many discs!) and then search forward ...

I'll probably re-attach my old DVD player and use the PS3 for Blu only ...

Or, with Blu now the only HD format, I'll buy a better BD-player
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #14
Special Member

Jan 2007
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
WOW!! based on the amount of heat mine puts out after one movie viewing I'd be afraid of melting my shelf if i left it on 24*7

Not really much to worry about with heat as long as you give it room to breathe. Just ask any of the people on the folding team. Mine has been running just about 24/7 for the past 2 months, folding when I'm not using it, and it's not a problem at all.

Plug for the folding team - Check out the thread in the Games section of the forum and come join us
Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #15
Special Member

Jan 2008
just north of Toronto

seriously, i would want a million other things fixed or added to the ps3 before a resume feature, damn just remember the chapter before shutting down.
Sony KDL 52W3000
PS3 120gb SLIM
Pioneer 7.1 Channel HDMI Receiver (VSX-1018TXV-K)
Polk Audio CS10 center channel - this thing ROCKS
Bubba the Love Sponge on RadioIO.com = Best Radio EVER!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 AM   #16

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original-6ix View Post
seriously, i would want a million other things fixed or added to the ps3 before a resume feature
I can't even think of one ...

If you don't miss that feature, you probably never had a DVD player capable of it or watch all your movies in one go ...

Or you love going through all the UNSKIPABLE copyright warnings and ads (YES! On many discs you cannot skip those) and through tedious animated menus (which one MOST discs cannot be skipped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original-6ix View Post
damn just remember the chapter before shutting down.
... remembering the chapter? Yeah sure, as if I only stop a movie at the point where a new chapter begins ...

How about having to plug / unplug the PS3 each time when you play a BD? You would object? Why? "Damn, just plug the cable into the outlet before starting to watch ..."

Sure, it's a comfort function, but I really don't see why - after seven years (or perhaps more) - the SAME company leaves out the most essential comfort function there is ... never even ONCE I needed a chapter select menu for example ...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBLUballz View Post
quit being lazy and find the chapter where you left off and then press play on that

makes you feel that they desreve a VHS rather than BDP and then let them find the chapter they want
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:

Yeah, disk resume would be lovely.

The other flaw is that you can't have audio out over HDMI and optical at the same time. My Sony DVD player does, but not the PS3
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #19

Mar 2007

Not to nitpick, but really, how difficult is it to use the "scene selection" option in the disc menu or even just pressing the "next/skip chapter" button on your remote to get to the part that you left off from?
Jan/04/2008: Truth and Technology TRIUMPHED Over Bullshit and Bribery
Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #20
Special Member

Dec 2007
California

The heat it makes while playing a bd is cause of the drive and i think the RSX. Other then that it varies and running folding it stays cool.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders