Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Gatchaman Crowds: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Last Supper (Blu-ray)
$13.29
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #1

Mar 2008
Default Blu-Ray Audio Problems

I just picked up a Sony Blu-Ray player last night. I am not at home so I can not provide the model number just yet of that or my Sony High Def TV. I will be able to provide that a little later. Here is what I noticed after watching two movies last night. The video quality is excellent. The audio quality is good (not excellent) as well, but it seems like you have to jack up the TV volume to a 34. Normal TV volume is about 15 for most viewing. My TV is a Sony 1080i. The Sony TV only has one HDMI port on the back. So what I did was get a HDMI splittler for both my cable box and Blu-Ray. I figured I would get better quality using the HDMI cable as opposed to the component cable. I have not tried plugging the Blu-Ray directly into the TV's HDMI's port, although I plan on trying that later. Hopefully the problem is not with the splitter. I seemed to recall having a similiar issue with the Toshiba HD DVD player which I got late last year. I since returned it since I did not want a 'beta max' on my hands. Also from reading the Sony Blu-Ray manual it does make mention of a known issue with low audio. I tried adjusting the setting to help the low volume issue, but that in my mind did nothing. So what are my options at this time. Try the component cable instead of the HDMI cable? Invest in a audio receiver? Get another HDMI splitter?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Briandr; 03-05-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Special Member

Dec 2007
Chicago

try unplugging the splitter and pluggin the hdmi from the blu ray player directly to the tv and see if it makes a deff befor u go out and buy a new splitter
"I'm glad you aren't dead"

Sharp LC46D64U, Sharp LC65D93U, Sony KDL-52XBR3, Samsung HP-T4254, Ps3 40gb n 60gb, Xbox 360, Onkyo TX-NR905, Onkyo TX-SR605, Klipsch Icon Series, Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet III

And You Thought Bose Was Good
Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2007
Bristol, Tennessee

Interesting you have this problem as my dad is having the same issue with his Sharp BD-HP20U player

My Dad has this player and is experiencing a bit of an issue. He and my Mom were watching the latest Die Hard last night, and the audio was so quiet he had to turn the volume up to 40 on their XBR2, to get it so they could hear it. I drove over there, looked at the settings, tested it myself, and sure enough, it was extremely quiet. I tried changing audio tracks on the movie, turned off the "surround mode" on the TV, everything, but for some reason it was extremely quiet.

We took a DVD and played it on their Denon DVD player, through the same HDMI port, and it was INSANELY LOUD (we forgot to turn it down), so either there is something wrong with the player, something wrong with its settings (that I just can't see), or something wrong with that disc.

I'm gonna play it on my system tonight and see if the disc is the problem. Ideas?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #4

Mar 2008

I mentioned in my opening post I was going to try and take the splitter out of the equation. When I found out after I bought the TV it only had one HDMI port I was angry at myself and the sales rep. That said I am not opposed to using a component cable. As far as buying a audio receiver I am not opposed to that, but I have a small house so I don't need big speakers. The TV volume should work just fine or so I think.

Other ideas? If I can figure out at work which splittler I bought I will include the model number in this post.

Update:

Sima 3-Input HDMI Switcher (Model No. SMA VSHD31)

Last edited by Briandr; 03-05-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2007
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandr View Post
I mentioned in my opening post I was going to try and take the splitter out of the equation. When I found out after I bought the TV it only had one HDMI port I was angry at myself and the sales rep. That said I am not opposed to using a component cable. As far as buying a audio receiver I am not opposed to that, but I have a small house so I don't need big speakers. The TV volume should work just fine or so I think.

Other ideas? If I can figure out at work which splittler I bought I will include the model number in this post
your tv is only 720p u said then components are fine for your cable box or bluray player is a must have for tru audio sound and 1080p and i know u can get 1080p on components but its more likely using a hdmi for it

Sharp LC46D64U, Sharp LC65D93U, Sony KDL-52XBR3, Samsung HP-T4254, Ps3 40gb n 60gb, Xbox 360, Onkyo TX-NR905, Onkyo TX-SR605, Klipsch Icon Series, Klipsch Synergy Series Quintet III

Old 03-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #6

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

stay with the HDMI and we will see if we can assist..

1) remove the splitter as you intended
2) is it only one movie, BD only, etc
3) are there settings in the player to adjust dialogue ??

or have fun and go buy a new receiver

Mitisubshi WS-73903 73" Projection - 1080i ( Family Room )
Panasonic DMP-BD10AK
Onyko TH-SR705 w/ XM, AirPort(TX-NR905 Soon)
M&K THX series (7.1) S-5000 Fronts, S-150 Center, SUR-55T tripoles, LCR-550 Rears, MX-350 Sub

Panasonic TH-42PX60U Plasma - 1080i ( Master Bedroom )
Panasonic DMP-BD30
Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifier
Polk LCiC Center, AB Series Fronts, Rears, Surr's, M&K 70B Sub
Old 03-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #7

Mar 2008

To clarify my TV is 1080i. Not sure if I said it was 720p. If I did it was a mistake. The TV is 1080i. I tried two movies so far. Both as mentioned. Excellent video. Audio left alot to be desired on both movies. Yes. There are settings in the player to adjust the audio. I tried and the adjustments did not help. In case you guys don't read up the forum here is the info on that splitter. Sima 3-Input HDMI Switcher (SMA VSHD31)
Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2007
Chicago

Quote:
To clarify my TV is 1080i. Not sure if I said it was 720p. If I did it was a mistake. The TV is 1080i. I tried two movies so far. Both as mentioned. Excellent video. Audio left alot to be desired on both movies. Yes. There are settings in the player to adjust the audio. I tried and the adjustments did not help. In case you guys don't read up the forum here is the info on that splitter. Sima 3-Input HDMI Switcher (SMA VSHD31)
720p and 1080i are pretty much the same i prefer 720p over 1080i but thats my pref

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #9

Mar 2008

Assume for a second the splittler is not the culprit causing the problem. Should I then look into a low cost receiver? How is Sony's tech support? Do they follow a laid out set of guidelines (do this, do that, etc etc) and other b.s. or do they have good techs? I seem to recall having done this with the Toshiba HD DVD player prior to returning it. Then again that was a couple months ago.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Quote:
I just picked up a Sony Blu-Ray player last night. I am not at home so I can not provide the model number just yet of that or my Sony High Def TV. I will be able to provide that a little later. Here is what I noticed after watching two movies last night. The video quality is excellent. The audio quality is good (not excellent) as well, but it seems like you have to jack up the TV volume to a 34. Normal TV volume is about 15 for most viewing. My TV is a Sony 1080i. The Sony TV only has one HDMI port on the back. So what I did was get a HDMI splittler for both my cable box and Blu-Ray. I figured I would get better quality using the HDMI cable as opposed to the component cable. I have not tried plugging the Blu-Ray directly into the TV's HDMI's port, although I plan on trying that later. Hopefully the problem is not with the splitter. I seemed to recall having a similiar issue with the Toshiba HD DVD player which I got late last year. I since returned it since I did not want a 'beta max' on my hands. Also from reading the Sony Blu-Ray manual it does make mention of a known issue with low audio. I tried adjusting the setting to help the low volume issue, but that in my mind did nothing. So what are my options at this time. Try the component cable instead of the HDMI cable? Invest in a audio receiver? Get another HDMI splitter?

Thanks in advance.
Your Solution is very simple ,if you are watching a BD include PCM soundtrack just try this enter the menu choose PCM and rewatch the movie again.you will notice a big difference.keep working on HDMI connection dont change it.

Reply please if this help
Sony Bravia X-series 40"
PS3 60 GB.Region A
Panasonic DMP-BD35 region B and ABC and Sony BDP-S790 Video and Audio through HDMI.
YAMAHA Receiver and JBL+ BOSE and Acoustic subwoofer 7.1
Old 03-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Special Member

Jun 2007
Bristol, Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank View Post
Interesting you have this problem as my dad is having the same issue with his Sharp BD-HP20U player

My Dad has this player and is experiencing a bit of an issue. He and my Mom were watching the latest Die Hard last night, and the audio was so quiet he had to turn the volume up to 40 on their XBR2, to get it so they could hear it. I drove over there, looked at the settings, tested it myself, and sure enough, it was extremely quiet. I tried changing audio tracks on the movie, turned off the "surround mode" on the TV, everything, but for some reason it was extremely quiet.

We took a DVD and played it on their Denon DVD player, through the same HDMI port, and it was INSANELY LOUD (we forgot to turn it down), so either there is something wrong with the player, something wrong with its settings (that I just can't see), or something wrong with that disc.

I'm gonna play it on my system tonight and see if the disc is the problem. Ideas?
Anyone care to address this problem that I posted a few posts up?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #12

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

Quote:
Try the DVD on the Blu-ray player.. what happens??

Panasonic DMP-BD10AK
M&K THX series (7.1) S-5000 Fronts, S-150 Center, SUR-55T tripoles, LCR-550 Rears, MX-350 Sub

Panasonic DMP-BD30
Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifier
Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #13

Aug 2007
Henderson, NV

my "gut" feeling is that you are trying to feed multi-channel into two speakers
and thus are missing the center, dialog. you will need to change to a 2 channel soundtrack and see what happens

but waiting for more info...

g

Panasonic DMP-BD10AK

Panasonic DMP-BD30
Yamaha DSP-A1 Amplifier
Old 03-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #14

Jan 2008

Quote:
I have assumed this was an issue with either the player or the BDs themselves, that they output volume sightly lower since it is gnerally surround. Although I've kinda always remembered the teevee volume being different then the optical input. I haven't noticed a huge difference in the audio on any of the blu-rays, but I haven't watched this die hard you speak of.
In remission on the blu-ray addiction.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

if you're running sound through the TV, you should set the bluray player audio output to Downmix PCM.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #16

Jan 2008

jblank -

i'm watching die hard live free or die hard right now. i'm watching it on my pioneer elite at a volume level of 30. I generally watch tv around 12-18 and blu-rays at 25-35, so I don' think it is a disc issue
In remission on the blu-ray addiction.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #17

Mar 2008

I took the Sigma HDMI switcher out of the equation and plugged the Blu-Ray directly into my TV's HDMI port. Did not make a difference. To get the TV volume to an acceptable level it had to be bumped up to 34. As mentioned before regular TV seems fine at 15. I am glad its not just me with this issue (JBlank). By the way I do have the Blu-Ray set to PCM. I also got a chance to Sony. Of course they were reading from a script. Does any tech these days tackle a problem head on as opposed to going by a script? Pathetic. Anyways the tech (who was nice and could speak english) told me its normal to have to jack up the TV volume when using the Blu-Ray. I can't believe that B.S. especially when the owner's manual makes mention of a issue with low volume.

Ideas?

Last edited by Briandr; 03-06-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearyt View Post
my "gut" feeling is that you are trying to feed multi-channel into two speakers
and thus are missing the center, dialog. you will need to change to a 2 channel soundtrack and see what happens

but waiting for more info...

g

I was thinking the same thing. Check your audio settings and make sure that they are set to stereo or 2-channel.
Sharp Aquos 46" LC-46D82U Display
XBox One
Motorola DCX3510-M Cable DVR
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Polk RTi A1 and CSi A4 center and RTi4 surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Make sure the player is configued to 2-channel stereo
Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
Special Member

Mar 2007
Newark, DE USA Playstation ID: phlydude

I find the same deal with Blu-ray movies. The audio is lower than normal tv (via cable box hooked up using optical for sound and HDMI into TV).
TV I can watch on 35-45, movies on the PS3, 50-60, PS3 games and demos, 30-40.
I think it all has to do with the movies...I even found that on a lot of DVDs.

I am running all my sound via optical to a Sony 7.1 receiver (if I had known 5 years ago that 7.1 would not be possible via optical, I would have never bought it)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders