Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
Dragon Age Inquisition - Standard Edition (PS3)
$11.60
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.69
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.79
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$7.99
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$13.99
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.69
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax (PS3)
$32.67
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Greatest Hits (PS3)
$16.42
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 12-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006
Default My MOTORSTORM (Japanese import) Impressions + possible NA fixes

I got Motorstorm in the mail yesturday from Play-Asia and thought I'd give you guys my thoughts on it. I'm also going to suggest numerous things the developers can do to make this game into a "killer-app" because it definetely has the potential. Note that I am only about 2 hours into the game so these impressions are just that...impressions.

The Looks
First thing you'll notice is that this game is gorgeous. The "wow" factor is on par with seeing GoW in action for the first time. The game really does a great job of immersing the player (which unfortunatly is your name all the way through it seems) in the rough and tumble style of racing they're aiming for. Racing "in the pack" is truly a site to behold. Even when you're not, it's cool to see bikes whizzing over your head and trucks ramming into buggies in front of you. The earth effects are quite cool with mud constantly being flung at your windshield and dirt being kicked at you (especially evident when racing in a pack - sometimes you can barely see which leads to some interesting "accidents" especially if you don't know the course well). I highly recommend First Person Racing as Motorstorm does an exceptional job with this. A zoomed in view also works quite well and may be necessary at times (if you hood gets knocked up or if you want a better view of the course). The courses themselves look downright amazing. I often find myself starring into the distance marveling at the canyons and how they look under that picturesque blue sky. Finally, the game runs without a hitch if any of you were worrying about framerate/slowdown problems.

The Sound
I'm not going to spend much time here but the game sounds good. The engine sounds combined with vehicles tearing through the dirt (and into each other) come together quite well. The music is personal preference. If you're into rock then it's a decent soundtrack, if not it's still not bad.

The Feel
The vehicles in Motorstorm control like a dream (well a dirt devil's dream anyway) and there are subtle differences with the various vehicles which make each a unique experience. In addition these differences can affect the path you take in each level with bikes preferring a non-confrontational high-road/jumpfest and big rigs being content with the "shortest path to the target" approach crushing all obstacles (and opponents) in their way. The boost system is basic but solid and I have no complaints with the physics system. From a gameplay standpoint I can't see anyone being unhappy with the way the game plays but unfortunatly...

The Flaws
Motorstorm seems to be a very shallow game. Sure, there are a lot of races in "Festival" mode (the only playable mode), but there's no story that I can see (not even a lame one) and no sense of achievement for beating certain races. I don't believe you unlock any vehicles within each subclass (but if I'm wrong please someone correct me). I seriously hope the developers add some sort of story and things to strive for along the way for the NA version. Even a generic story would have made this game feel like it had SUBSTANCE. Add maybe a gang with "elite racers" that you periodically face off in races to add a little drama in the mix. Give the player a sense of achievement for completing races besides just "getting to the next race". Maybe only have 2-3 vehicles for each subclass available at the start of the game with the ability to unlock the other 4-6 as you progress. At least it seems like you're earning something instead of giving you everything at the start. You can't just spoil someone at the beginning and starve them from then on. You have to "tease" people with little prizes so they have something cool to work for and don't get spoiled. That's game development folks and that's the way real life works too (think about it). These adjustments would bump my score up AT LEAST a full point if not 2.

The Online
At first I thought I could deal without online (some of my favorite racing games don't have online - GT, RRT4, Sega Rally, RAGE RACER, Crash Team Racing) but due to the nature of the game and the lack of features I feel that good online is a MUST with this game. This game needs online because of the physical nature of the gameplay (or escapist nature if you're a bike). I really hope they add more substance (modes/features/distractions) to the game but the most important part is probably online as I see it now. Do that and this game could border on "killer-app".

The Final Word
Great "core" game but extremely shallow. If you do decide to import the game, it's very easy to navigate with 1/2 the text coming in in English. Three priorities for the development team IMO are:
1) good online mode (already working on)
2) adding substance to Festival mode - a)story, b) sense of achievement through unlockables, fleshed out characters, etc.
3) more "modes" even stupid ones like "time trial" or "last car standing" (crash and you're out of the race) would go a long way in making the game seem deeper.

Summary:
Graphics - 10/10
Audio - 8/10
Gameplay - 10/10
Depth/Value - 3/10
Tilt - 8/10
Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2006
Long Island, NY;psn:phranctoast

this seems to be the consensus so far about the game. Great game but rushed to Japan. Most likely since Japan didnt have the lineup that the us ps3 did.

Im all for the developers taking their time on the games as to not have a noticably rushed game. This is my feeling on lair and heavenly sword as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA

Awesome, thanks for the review. One question- do they have alternate tracks that only bikes can fit through, and huge things only big rigs can smash? That's what they said there would be. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

^^pretty much. The obstacles you speak of can be run through with rally cars and trucks (and in some cases buggies) in addition to the big rigs, but they don't bull through as fast which is pretty cool - so if you're not a big rig you kind of have to hit the "weak spot" in the "wall" of broken cars/barrels/etc to pass through quickly. The "bike detours" in several levels are suited especially for bikes and smaller vehicles often involving more narrow pathways and lots of jumps.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #5

Oct 2006

So what are the improvements over the current demo in the PS store?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

^^plays like the demo in the PS Store but obviously there are more vehicle choices (each of which control differently) and more courses. The courses are a lot more open (less linear) and varied compared to "raingod mesa" from the demo. There are more effects in place with regards to mud/dirt. As I said before, all they need to do is add depth (there's not even a "quick race" mode) and online.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #7

Dec 2006
San Jose, CA
Send a message via AIM to DV92Camaro Send a message via Yahoo to DV92Camaro

I just hope the american version has more add ons. I also read on another site that the frame rate was inconsistant. Is that true? I myself played the demo and it was AMAZING!!! Anyhow I can't wait for this title. It looks like a hit thats for sure.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

^^the framerate is not inconsistent. I've experienced noticeable slowtime only once for about 1 second. Also, I've been playing some more and this game is AWESOME. I don't even care about lack of features right now. This could be the funnest racing game EVER (my other favorites include RRT4, Rage Racer and GT3).

At the time of my original impressions I had only played the level 1 races. Little did I know that the game only begins after that. The AI is ramped up, you get more courses and vehicles. The most impressive part has got to be the AI. It makes the game so fun. Vehicles are super aggressive to you and each other. Cars will crash in front of you causing you to swerve around them or risk your vehicle as well. Other cars will attempt to ram you off the road or into a rock wall. There's so much going on at one time. You are always in the race and you can rarely hold 1st forever. One of my favorite experiences was winning a race in which 6 other vehicles (!) finished within 1 second of me.

Last edited by BlackMamba; 12-24-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

btw, camaro, the complaints of inconsistent framerate stem from the kiosk demo version available at target, best buy, etc. The updated demo in the PS Store has all the framerate problems fixed and the final japanese version runs like a dream never missing a step even when there's 16 cars on the screen crashing, ramming and jumping over each other (kicking up dirt and mud all the while). It's truly a sight to see.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA

New screens were just released for motorstorm- including a night racing mode. BlackMamba- was that included in the import you bought? If not, it would be safe to assume that there will be more added to this game. I would post the link to the screens, but i'm typing from my ps3 right now. qj or something had them hosted. Doing a search you can probably find them. What do you guys think about night mode? It seems cool graphically, but if there is no other change, it seems a little pointless. But it's still cool looking.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Power Member

Aug 2006
Long Island, NY;psn:phranctoast

i would like a night mode and different weather patterns if possible. That would rock.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

sorry guys, haven't checked the thread in a while. Yes, there are some races that take place at night. They're pretty cool. Staring at the night sky (and all the stars) while racing can be hypnotizing (and dangerous). I'm going to post my full review in a second. Hold on.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

MOTORSTORM - Redefining the term "Offroad Racer"

This review is based on the Japanese version of Motorstorm released December 2006.

You've played the demo and seen the videos but nothing can prepare you for the heart-thumping, edge of your seat racing that is Motorstorm. Simply put, this game is the most fun I've had with a racer since Crash Team Racing on the original Playstation. The newest offering from Evolution Studios (purveyors of fine rally racing) combines stunning visuals with excellent gameplay and aggressive A.I. resulting in a game which will be sure to please millions once it is released outside of Japan.

Motorstorm is one of those games that's just a pure emotional rush. Words can't begin to describe how it feels to play “catch-up” after falling behind - taking risky detours you bypassed a lap ago, swerving around and through battling vehicles while navigating the harsh terrain, all the while using every ounce of your boost in a desperate attempt to catch the leader. Motorstorm is all about the simple joys and it doesn't look half-bad doing it.

A lot has been made about how good the game looks and Motorstorm delivers on all fronts. Get ready for the same “wow” factor you experienced looking at GT3 (PS2), Ninja Gaiden (XBOX), RE4 (GC) and Gears of War (360)…Hands down, Motorstorm is the best looking game on the PS3 by far. Motorstorm's eye-popping visuals rest on the balance between the vehicles and the environment. You may think that since the whole game takes place in a single desert-centric location, lack of variety may be an issue, but let me tell you, that is simply not the case. Each course is expertly crafted not only to convey its own unique look but to feel and play differently (which I will go into detail later on). The vehicles too are quite detailed and show plenty of variety with unlockable models for each of the 7 classes available as you progress through the game. However, the true beauty of the game comes when both are combined in one twisted spectacle of chaos and destruction. Motorstorm is truly a sight to see in motion with mud slingers, trucks and rally cars jostling for position, ATVs and bikes flying over and around you, buggies doing something in the middle and big rigs just doing whatever the hell they want (dirt and mud flying everywhere). Crashes are spectacular and happen often involving anywhere from 1-15 of your opponents (yourself as well). As a final disclaimer, let me state that this game was meant to be played in the “first person” perspective. I have yet to find a racing game that does a better job of immersing you in the action than Motorstorm does.

Motorstorm's engrossing gameplay experience stems from a variety of factors most notably the exceptional A.I., course design and vehicle controls. To begin, each vehicle handles differently and has various strengths and weaknesses. This will inevitably affect the way in which you approach each contest as well as your decision making during races. The bike is fast and small, but also the hardest vehicle to control. Because of this, bikers would be wise to avoid “the pack” as much as possible opting for higher, narrower routes where bigger vehicles cannot tread (with ease at least). On the flipside, because the bike is relatively harder to control, players may actually choose to bypass smaller detours such as jumping through two rocks after a turn (to shave a half second off your time) because the risk of crashing into one of those rocks is greater than say with a buggy (which features much tighter control). However, the option still remains if you were in a hurry and needed to catch up to the first place car. The beauty of Motorstorm is that you are always developing new strategies and everything is situation-dependant. So what if bikes are supposed to avoid the pack? Why not on the 2nd lap, take the more direct path through the car yard (instead of through the cliffs)? After all, the big rigs and racing trucks did just plow a nice little path for you the lap before. Sure you might run into some angry drivers intent on crushing you, but at least the path is clear.

The courses in Motorstorm play a large part in the success of the game. You will never follow the same path twice as there are just so many ways to complete each level. Each course is basically an open ended level with multiple paths to the finish line (all of which are connected – You could say be racing on a cliff and fall, but land below on a mud path that others are racing on). On each of these “paths” (although I use the term loosely), there are various obstacles you must traverse further broadening your options of how to attack each level (also resulting in thousands of different ways of completing a lap). Again, everything in Motorstorm is situation-dependant meaning that where you are and what your rivals are doing play a huge role in your decision making (and how reckless your driving becomes) unlike in other racing games where you just want to race “your race” (basically the way you got your fastest time in time trial).

Finally we come to the A.I. which in case you haven't guessed by now is very impressive. The real action doesn't kick in until you've finished the level 1 races (which serve as kind of a tutorial/practice setting). After that, it's mayhem – Among other things cars will jockey for position & aggressively pursue each other, they will use boost, they will slam you into the canyon walls…you get the idea. The CPU reacts well to almost every situation presented and that's no small feat considering how many vehicles there are and how much is happening on the screen at one time. But the thing I love about Motorstorm is that you're never really out of a race and you can rarely ever hold the lead for too long. Each race is extremely close with opponents finishing as close as tenths of a second behind each other in some instances. In one race, I noticed that 5 other cars had finished within one second of me in a photo finish – great stuff. Oh, and in case you were wondering if random vehicles flying across your screen was a sign of weak A.I., you're wrong. I consider myself pretty good at the game and even I find myself helplessly flying into a rock faces regularly (whether it be from taking a jump at the wrong angle or boosting too much and hitting a turn – it happens especially when you're struggling to make a comeback).

Motorstorm is a game on the verge of racing perfection, but a few things keep the title from reaching those lofty heights. First off, as many of you might know, the game features little in the way of different modes. All that is available in the Japanese retail version is “Festival” mode (basically single player campaign), a couple movies (which are all pretty cool actually – see Monument Valley HD and the Evolution of Motorstorm) and your basic sound/control options. There is no multiplayer to speak of (offline or online). However, Evolution is working on an online mode (15 player!) for the NA release so let's cross our fingers and hope its of the same high quality as the rest of the game. There are also no “quick race” or “time trial/practice” options either, although I don't see it as too big a deal now (because chances are the race setup you're looking for can be found on one of the tickets). The ability to customize your vehicle would be nice too. With regards to gameplay, occasionally you will find yourself wedged in a place that is very difficult to get out of (and even if you do get out you're so far behind you might as well start over). In this case there should be an option to press a button that will effectively make you “crash” (2-3 second lag and no explosion to deter abuse and “suicide bombers”) and respawn so you can get on with the race. Lastly, I'd like the developers to add a story to the game even if it is a barebones narrative. It'd be nice have little sideplots and rivalries play out during the course of Festival mode. Should these complaints be addressed in some form or the other, I will have no problem giving the NA version of the game a 10/10.

A couple quick notes…
- I'm not sure what the framerate is locked at, but it is very solid and rarely dips (and if so, very briefly). Rest assured that you will never be bothered by slowdown.
- I know I didn't spend any time on it, but the physics system is excellent as well.
- The soundtrack is basically all rock with a couple custom tracks. Sound effects are fitting.
- The first race on Ticket #11 (Level 3) is called Giant Enemy Crab.
- The Playstation 3 is region-free for games so you can play import games on an PS3.

Last edited by BlackMamba; 01-07-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA

Great review. Can't wait for this game, and that just hyped me up even more.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #15

Jan 2007

it's gonna rock.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

yeah, hope you guys enjoy the game when it comes out in the US. It could really be special if they add some depth to the game. I'm gonna grab the NA version when it comes out as well so I can dominate online (at least until everyone gets the hang of the game)
Old 01-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA

hahaha good plan.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:09 AM   #18

Nov 2006

Night races, 15 player online, downloadable content... this game is going to be fantastic!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3