Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.77
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$12.85
XBlaze Lost: Memories (PS3)
$18.44
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.69
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.29
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.70
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Record of Agarest War 2 (PS3)
$14.31
Madden NFL 13 (PS3)
$11.05
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$14.99
Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
$21.98
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 12-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #21
Expert Member

Jun 2006
Somewhere

There is nothing better than a PS3!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Little footnote:

As usual, I discovered very quickly that I am terrible at these Gran Turismo games.

I tend to be more of an arcade racing person myself (Burnout, Midnight Club, Need for Speed), but I certainly can salute what a quality gem this game is/will be.
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Anaheim Hills, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeApOn View Post
I haven't seen many xbox games, but this game has the best graphics i've seen on anything. Is there anything comparable on xbox? I would imagine so, since this is only 1st generation.
Xbox has some seriously crappy racing titles. Nothing compares even slightly to GT HD. Forza 2, which has been delayed for a while now, might be close but i doubt it.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:34 PM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz6speed View Post
Xbox has some seriously crappy racing titles. Nothing compares even slightly to GT HD. Forza 2, which has been delayed for a while now, might be close but i doubt it.
PGR3 on the 360 is pretty respectable, but GT HD here is clearly a new breed all the way around, for "more serious" racing games vs. the aforementioned arcade style racing games I named that you can play on pretty much every platform.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:44 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Anaheim Hills, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK View Post
PGR3 on the 360 is pretty respectable, but GT HD here is clearly a new breed all the way around, for "more serious" racing games vs. the aforementioned arcade style racing games I named that you can play on pretty much every platform.
I tried to finish PGR3, but its so tiresome to play. Same races over and over. Combine that with it being only 540p and upscaled to 720p, the absolutely horendous loading times and the limited car selection - not to mention the general lack of fun after getting about 6+ hours into it, i was totally underwhelmed. I really liked NFS Carbon tho, until i got to the last 25% of the game, and the difficult bumped up 4 times and i cant even win a single race anymore, its insanely difficult now and the frustration ruins the fun of the game, so i havent played the main game at all anymore, i am going through the challenges now. Which is a shame since i had such an absolute blast up until that point.

But i digress, PGR3 doesnt hold a candle to the GT Series. Simple as that. I'd also like to mention that i tuned big single turbo cars for quite a while, and ive yet to meet a single "car guy" who didnt own a PS2 and Gran Turismo. Its like standard minimum requirements for hardcore car guys. Most of them have big HDTV's and deep pockets. Expect a PS3 purchase from all of those guys once GT HD is out in retail stores.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
I tried to finish PGR3, but its so tiresome to play. Same races over and over. Combine that with it being only 540p and upscaled to 720p, the absolutely horendous loading times and the limited car selection - not to mention the general lack of fun after getting about 6+ hours into it, i was totally underwhelmed.
I agree, that's why I basically gave it a lukewarm endorsement of "respectable" which it is for the most part, but no, it can't light a candle to the GT series if you're talking about getting serious and hardcore.

This HD game just really blows my mind.

PGR3 can't wipe this thing's...shoes.

Quote:
I really liked NFS Carbon tho, until i got to the last 25% of the game, and the difficult bumped up 4 times and i cant even win a single race anymore, its insanely difficult now and the frustration ruins the fun of the game, so i havent played the main game at all anymore, i am going through the challenges now. Which is a shame since i had such an absolute blast up until that point.
Thanks for the warning.

I haven't picked that game up after being underwhelmed by the demo. I loved Most Wanted, but the same thing you talk about here happened to me there: I basically just hit a brick wall in terms of difficulty after having loads of fun and that was it for me.

Quote:

But i digress, PGR3 doesnt hold a candle to the GT Series. Simple as that.
I agree.

Quote:
I'd also like to mention that i tuned big single turbo cars for quite a while, and ive yet to meet a single "car guy" who didnt own a PS2 and Gran Turismo. Its like standard minimum requirements for hardcore car guys. Most of them have big HDTV's and deep pockets. Expect a PS3 purchase from all of those guys once GT HD is out in retail stores.
I'll guarantee it right along with you.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #27

Sep 2006

I played the demo for awhile yesterday and unlocked all the cars in the "Time Trial". This game is so impressive. Their attention to detail is just mind-boggling. From the accurate car sounds to the road noise, it's just incredible.

I agree with you guys whole-heartedly. I've played PGR3 on my 360, and it's like Mario-kart compared to GT HD Well, O.K. maybe that's a bit extreme, but you get my point
"We found that, at this point, Blu-ray is worth the shelf space, and HD DVD is not." - Matthew Smith, Blockbuster SVP Merchandising
Old 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Gorgeous.. Great sense of speed, rock solid gameplay.. Superb buttery smooth framerate and it's FUN. I usually am not even a fan of sims either.

FYI, you can unlock more than the standard cars as well. You can get tuned cars from what I've read, either through the drifting challenges or something else.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #29

Nov 2006
New York

I played this game over the weekend, it's so realistic and I love it!!!

I've been a big fan of the Gran Turismo games since PS1 and I think this demo is the greatest piece of GT gameplay by far. I can now wait unitl the AAA titles appear (DMC 4, MGS4, etc) for PS3 because I will be playing this demo for quite a while.

Merry Christmas to you too Sony!!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:28 AM   #30

Dec 2006
50th State

Just downloaded it and it looks great, especially the replays. I really like the new drifting challenges and the online records, especially being able to check out the top times and scores and watch how they did it.
PS3
KDL-40XBR3
Integra 7.8
B&W 603 S3
B&W ASW 650
B&W 600 S3
B&W LCR 600 S3
Old 12-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #31

Dec 2006
Over here

I'm having trouble with this game. I'll get driving along and then something in the background will distract me and I'll end up slowing down and enjoying the scenery. But I'll get the hang of it soon :0
Old 12-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #32
Power Member

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to jorg

weapon this game graphic far supass what the 360 has been able to out put so far
resistence fall of man is alredy consided to supass 360 games in graphics

this wil just humileate the 360 and its so called hd
Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006

Quote:
I tried to finish PGR3, but its so tiresome to play. Same races over and over. Combine that with it being only 540p and upscaled to 720p, the absolutely horendous loading times and the limited car selection - not to mention the general lack of fun after getting about 6+ hours into it, i was totally underwhelmed.
Couldn't agree more. Something about PGR3 seemed very "amateur" for some reason. Certainly not polished in any way.

Quote:
I really liked NFS Carbon tho, until i got to the last 25% of the game, and the difficult bumped up 4 times and i cant even win a single race anymore, its insanely difficult now and the frustration ruins the fun of the game, so i havent played the main game at all anymore, i am going through the challenges now. Which is a shame since i had such an absolute blast up until that point.
That is hilarious! I am in exactly the same boat! I was flying through this game, winning races with ease! Then I got to the 75% completion stage and wow, the difficulty suddenly went through the roof! I am at 81% now, but just like you, I am now going through the Challenge Series to get a break from the career mode. The Canyon Races are real white knuckle rides. Love it!

Quote:
But i digress, PGR3 doesnt hold a candle to the GT Series. Simple as that. I'd also like to mention that i tuned big single turbo cars for quite a while, and ive yet to meet a single "car guy" who didnt own a PS2 and Gran Turismo. Its like standard minimum requirements for hardcore car guys. Most of them have big HDTV's and deep pockets. Expect a PS3 purchase from all of those guys once GT HD is out in retail stores.
I would be an example of that! I love Gran Turismo, and bought every series. I considered waiting for the PS3 instead of buying the XBOX 360 for the sole reason that Sony would have GT. I went ahead and bought the 360, and I don't regret it, but GT3 on PS3 is something that just gets me all giddy inside!

I had a 1993 RX-7 (twin turbo rotary). I had considered converting it to a single turbo, but never did. I loved that car! Now I have an RX-8, since I have two kids and the 8 has a backseat! Fun car to drive, but not nearly as fast as the 7 (which I had up to 155 mph and it had plenty more to give).
Old 12-31-2006, 05:43 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Anaheim Hills, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post
I had a 1993 RX-7 (twin turbo rotary). I had considered converting it to a single turbo, but never did. I loved that car! Now I have an RX-8, since I have two kids and the 8 has a backseat! Fun car to drive, but not nearly as fast as the 7 (which I had up to 155 mph and it had plenty more to give).
Ahhh, the FD3S. I've owned 2 actually. Really awesome cars, just so insanely unreliable no matter how you slice it. Its not if it will cause problems, its when. Ive tuned enough that i refuse to tune another one again no matter what anyone would pay me. RX-8's are MUCH more livable and of course having those backseats doesnt hurt.

p.s. - I hit 203 MPH in my old supra. 94 Supra Turbo 6-speed with a T88H-34D turbo, 1000cc injectors, aem, and all the goodies. CCW Wheels with 18x13s in the rear, 345 BFG drag radials. Did it on the 5 freeway. AEM logged at 203, 6700RPM in 6th gear.

I since drive a slow ass bmw and a slow ass lexus, no more speed here for a while!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:56 AM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006

Quote:
Ahhh, the FD3S. I've owned 2 actually. Really awesome cars, just so insanely unreliable no matter how you slice it. Its not if it will cause problems, its when. Ive tuned enough that i refuse to tune another one again no matter what anyone would pay me. RX-8's are MUCH more livable and of course having those backseats doesnt hurt.

p.s. - I hit 203 MPH in my old supra. 94 Supra Turbo 6-speed with a T88H-34D turbo, 1000cc injectors, aem, and all the goodies. CCW Wheels with 18x13s in the rear, 345 BFG drag radials. Did it on the 5 freeway. AEM logged at 203, 6700RPM in 6th gear.

I since drive a slow ass bmw and a slow ass lexus, no more speed here for a while!

Two great cars, the 7 and Supra. Man, they just don't make 'em like those anymore!

203mph on the freeway is stupid fast!

Of course you are right about the reliability issues with the FD. Cooling was the major issue. Both the radiator and intercooler were too small. But of course even fixing those issues didn't mean you would suddenly have complete reliability. I can't even list all the problems I had. But never an issue with the turbos or motor.

That is a car that I will always look back at with extremely fond memories though. I do miss her!

Old 12-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Anaheim Hills, CA

Gorgeous FD. Mine were white (94 touring) and black (93 R1). I am just glad i can look at these cars and not have the desire for one anymore. Took a lot of willpower to let go of the need for speed. It will be worth it once i get a Gallardo in a few years from now. Thats what im saving up for.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006

Quote:
Gorgeous FD. Mine were white (94 touring) and black (93 R1). I am just glad i can look at these cars and not have the desire for one anymore. Took a lot of willpower to let go of the need for speed. It will be worth it once i get a Gallardo in a few years from now. Thats what im saving up for.
Well, I look at these cars and I DO still have the desire for one! I knew I would have some regrets when I sold her, and I do! That isn't to say I made the wrong decision. I just loved that car!

A Lambo is in a different league obviously. Any consideration for a Ferrari instead? They are more refined than the Lambo's. Don't get me wrong, I'd take either of 'em!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Anaheim Hills, CA

Quote:
Well, I look at these cars and I DO still have the desire for one! I knew I would have some regrets when I sold her, and I do! That isn't to say I made the wrong decision. I just loved that car!

A Lambo is in a different league obviously. Any consideration for a Ferrari instead? They are more refined than the Lambo's. Don't get me wrong, I'd take either of 'em!
I dont like F-Cars. Im more into the lambo style. Plus, i am going to twin turbo the gallardo since its 10 cylinders. Once you go turbo, you dont go back =(
Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #39
Special Member

Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA

Quote:

Two great cars, the 7 and Supra. Man, they just don't make 'em like those anymore!

203mph on the freeway is stupid fast!

Of course you are right about the reliability issues with the FD. Cooling was the major issue. Both the radiator and intercooler were too small. But of course even fixing those issues didn't mean you would suddenly have complete reliability. I can't even list all the problems I had. But never an issue with the turbos or motor.

That is a car that I will always look back at with extremely fond memories though. I do miss her!

what's sad is that i almost thought those were new gt screens
Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 AM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeApOn View Post
what's sad is that i almost thought those were new gt screens
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3