Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dressed to Kill (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hackers (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts w/ Blu-ray Exclusive Figure (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Day for Night (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #1

Oct 2007
Thumbs down Star Wars Blu-ray Audio Problems

I have Star Wars the Complete Saga on Blu-ray and I hear audio clipping pops, crackle and static on audio channel 6 and audio channel 7 of my 7.1 surround system. My Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S780 (updated with Sony's latest firmware) and my receiver is a Sony STR-DA5300ES. When I switch the audio output on my Blu-ray player to PCM, the audio defects are gone but sound quality is noticably diminished. I will leave the audio output on my Blu-ray player set to Auto because the sound quality of the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is superior to PCM. But 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has got to fix these audio issues when the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is used on all Blu-ray players when Star Wars Blu-rays are played. I've returned my Star Wars Saga to Best Buy for an exchange, but these audio problems still exist on the exchanged Blu-ray set. It was a long wait to see Star Wars on Blu-ray. Please let 20th Century Fox fix and replace our defective discs. If you are listening to the Star Wars complete Saga Blu-ray on a 5.1 surround system, you will not hear the audio defects. The audio clipping pops, crackle and static on heard only on 7.1 surround system. Specifically on audio channel 6 and audio channel 7. All other 6.1 and 7.1 Blu-rays in my collection sound fine without audio defects such as the Lord of the Rings Extended edition Blu-rays, the Expendables, Tron Legacy, and Rambo. This confirms that the audio issue does not exist in my equipment but exists only in the DTS-HD Master Audio of Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-rays. This is especially noticable during the opening sequence "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." There should be silence during this moment, but audio static and crackle is heard from audio channel 6 and audio channel 7.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

please do not post this same question in multiple threads...keeping it in one thread makes it easier for other to help you.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

My biggest complaint about the release is Episode III. The surround doesn't feel complete and the noticeable lack of LFE during the movie in it's entirety. Very disappointed from that.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCruz View Post
My biggest complaint about the release is Episode III. The surround doesn't feel complete and the noticeable lack of LFE during the movie in it's entirety. Very disappointed from that.
Funny you mention that, my Son and I watched Episodes I-III in the same afternoon 1 right after the other and we thought the exact same thing, Sith was very weak compared to Menace and Clones, very weak.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
Carmel, IN

Wasn't this already confirmed to be a bitstreaming issue and is an issue only with certain receivers? Just switch your player to PCM and doesn't it take care of it?
“Reach out your hands. Out for the ones who, aid when the going gets rough. Until the end. These are the ones who, help when the times get tough. And times will get tough. Get up again.” -Flaw-
Old 10-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

In the past certain DTS decoders had problems creating the "Dts BOMB" in which you describe.

Whether this is related or not, I don't know. But it sounds similar. You can google dts bomb or even google Star Wars dts-hd problems. You will see others have reported same thing.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishwar1 View Post
I have Star Wars the Complete Saga on Blu-ray and I hear audio clipping pops, crackle and static on audio channel 6 and audio channel 7 of my 7.1 surround system. My Blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S780 (updated with Sony's latest firmware) and my receiver is a Sony STR-DA5300ES. When I switch the audio output on my Blu-ray player to PCM, the audio defects are gone but sound quality is noticably diminished. I will leave the audio output on my Blu-ray player set to Auto because the sound quality of the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is superior to PCM. But 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has got to fix these audio issues when the automatic DTS HD-Master Audio "flag" is used on all Blu-ray players when Star Wars Blu-rays are played. I've returned my Star Wars Saga to Best Buy for an exchange, but these audio problems still exist on the exchanged Blu-ray set. It was a long wait to see Star Wars on Blu-ray. Please let 20th Century Fox fix and replace our defective discs. If you are listening to the Star Wars complete Saga Blu-ray on a 5.1 surround system, you will not hear the audio defects. The audio clipping pops, crackle and static on heard only on 7.1 surround system. Specifically on audio channel 6 and audio channel 7. All other 6.1 and 7.1 Blu-rays in my collection sound fine without audio defects such as the Lord of the Rings Extended edition Blu-rays, the Expendables, Tron Legacy, and Rambo. This confirms that the audio issue does not exist in my equipment but exists only in the DTS-HD Master Audio of Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-rays. This is especially noticable during the opening sequence "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." There should be silence during this moment, but audio static and crackle is heard from audio channel 6 and audio channel 7.
I've got the 5300es as well and the same thing has happened too me a few times before. The issue you are having is not a fault with the Star Wars blu-rays, it's with the receiver itself. The 5300es was Sony's 1st receiver to be able to decode dolby digital true hd, and dts hd ma tracks, unfortunately it suffers from a known issue called dts bomb (other earlier receivers that could decode dts hd ma tracks from other manufacturers also suffer from the problem as well), where during some movies that have dts hd ma tracks you will hear popping sounds coming from your speaker.

The only way around it to stop it from happening is to set your blu-ray player to PCM instead of bitstream for the audio output, so rather than the receiver decoding the lossless tracks the blu-ray player does it, the audio quality will be identical, but your receiver will not light up with the dts hd ma and dolby digital true hd icons.

Edit: What country are you from? because you also might not have the latest firmware installed. Here in Australia we only got 1 firmware update for the 5300es, units that had the update applied to them had a round green sticker on the box and the back of the unit. Though I know that people who live in the U.S were privileged with a 2nd firmware update for the 5300es, which had a red round sticker on the box and the back of the unit.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote

Last edited by Cevolution; 10-13-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Fixed a spelling mistake.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCruz View Post
As we've discussed in the past, I noticed the same thing on EP III. I never considered that it might be AVR-related, but since we both have Pioneers, then there may be something to that.

C'mon, Crack. Spill what you know!
Blu Rayders Clan Thread
PSN: ricshoe64 / Schu-Store

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS4
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2008
-

I've also experienced the DTS bomb during A New Hope. It only happens when I chapter-skip to chapter 16 via bitstreaming. When I let my player decode, it does not happen. I have an Oppo 93 connected to an Onkyo 805. I've reported the problem to both Oppo and Onkyo, but I'm still waiting for a permanent fix. Sure, I could just set it to LPCM. But, I prefer to bitstream.
I looked up the phrase 'Getting It Done' in the dictionary and it said, "See Marvel Cinematic Universe 2008-present".
Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post
I've also experienced the DTS bomb during A New Hope. It only happens when I chapter-skip to chapter 16 via bitstreaming. When I let my player decode, it does not happen. I have an Oppo 93 connected to an Onkyo 805. I've reported the problem to both Oppo and Onkyo, but I'm still waiting for a permanent fix. Sure, I could just set it to LPCM. But, I prefer to bitstream.
the 805 did suffer from the DTS bomb, when i had one (an 805) i emailed onkyo and they sent me a cd with the DSP firmware update on it that took care of it.

perhaps you can contact them too and get said disc to take care of your issue. it's not the player or the disc, it's the receiver.

however, as you mentioned, if you let the player decode you will get multichannel LPCM which is the same as bitstreaming it and letting the receiver do the decoding.

you won't have the DTS bomb with the LPCM stream but you will still be getting lossless audio you just won't get the vanity light to turn on for the codec.

if you can't get onkyo to send you the disc, letting the player decode is your only true option for lossless with no bomb!

best of luck.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB Power supply, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-700, UPA-200, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Power Member

Sep 2007
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjunkie View Post
Funny you mention that, my Son and I watched Episodes I-III in the same afternoon 1 right after the other and we thought the exact same thing, Sith was very weak compared to Menace and Clones, very weak.

Ugh, I was afraid to hear that. This is exactly how the sound played out on the DVD's. The first two were phenominal and then Episode 3 was lackluster compared to them. I had hoped that they would have fixed this with the Blu-ray's.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

From what I hear, it's the source, not players - something inherent in the sound design of the 3rd one, not some mastering issue. But what the hell do I know.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Verus Grand Center - Epik Empire
Sony VPL-HW40ES - 92" DIY 0.8G Screen - Emotiva XPA-3
Denon AVR-X4000 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790 - Sony PS4
Old 10-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

I send it PCM from the player, and didn't think any of them sounded weak- they all sounded pretty equal. I also avoid any DTS bombs that way, since updating the firmware on my old Onkyo 805 just ain't convenient or feasible.

*edit* Just read solarrdadd's post- don't you have to have a special player to send the DSP firmware update to the receiver?

For me, it's the same sound and I don't mind that it doesn't says DTS-HD MA.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 1080p Plasma | Onkyo 805 | PS3 Slim | Xbox360 | Wii | APC H10 | Harmony One
Def Tech BP6B Fronts | Def Tech CLR 2002 Center| Def Tech BP2X Surrounds | PA-120 Subwoofer
Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

It has to be something in either your reviver or cables or something. I get no Cracks Pops or Hisses on my PS3 > Onkyo TSXR 606 receiver. Star wars has never looked or sounded better.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #15

Feb 2011
Utah
USA Commentary Pops

Has anyone noticed in the new audio commentaries their voices pop and crackle a bit? Is this just the individual words popping because the microphone is so close to their mouth? I'm specifically thinking of when Ben Burtt or George Lucas talks. Other than that, they look and sound amazing. Just checking to see if anyone else has heard this.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #16

Jan 2012
Default help

i am having this problem too.
on scenes like episode two asteroid chase with alot of big shockwave explosions and laser fire from jango fetts ship, or episode four when Alderaan blows up, i am getting popping and crackle noises coming from my samsung HT-D5300 blu ray home theater speakers.
I thought at first i had the speakers too close together. Wrong.
I thought it might have needed to reset the player. Didnt help.
Then i tried to update the firmware and downloaded the right one from samsung support and tried to put it on my player through usb, but after many attempts the player kept saying no file recognised, even though there was.
So now after reading this post im thinking maybe its just the star wars blu rays that are the problem. Or maybe i need to change my player to PM or whatever it is you guys were talking about in this forum. How do i do that though?? i really need to fix this problem i almost sent it back under warrant ywhich would be a real pain in the ass. I just want to know if theres something wrong with my home theater speakers or home theater in general, if its just the star wars blu ray discs, or if theres anything i can do to make the distracting, terrible noises go away. Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #17

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by takashi10 View Post
i am having this problem too.
on scenes like episode two asteroid chase with alot of big shockwave explosions and laser fire from jango fetts ship, or episode four when Alderaan blows up, i am getting popping and crackle noises coming from my samsung HT-D5300 blu ray home theater speakers.
I thought at first i had the speakers too close together. Wrong.
I thought it might have needed to reset the player. Didnt help.
Then i tried to update the firmware and downloaded the right one from samsung support and tried to put it on my player through usb, but after many attempts the player kept saying no file recognised, even though there was.
So now after reading this post im thinking maybe its just the star wars blu rays that are the problem. Or maybe i need to change my player to PM or whatever it is you guys were talking about in this forum. How do i do that though?? i really need to fix this problem i almost sent it back under warrant ywhich would be a real pain in the ass. I just want to know if theres something wrong with my home theater speakers or home theater in general, if its just the star wars blu ray discs, or if theres anything i can do to make the distracting, terrible noises go away. Thanks
You have setting in the audio part of your Blu-ray player ( PCM / Bitstream ).

Go into the settings of the player & if it is set on Bitstream then Change it to PCM & it should solve the problem.

BTW ~ Welcome to the Forum
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 01-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #18

Jan 2012

Thanks for the help but i went into settings and saw the pcm option but could not change it as in my remote would just skip over the option like it wasnt available, so i turned hdmi audio option to on which means sound will only come through the tv speakers. when i did that the option to switch to pcm or bitstream etc became available. so i played the blu ray through the tv speakers on pcm and there was no crackling or popping sounds at the certain parts of the scenes etc. Then i switched the option to bitstream DTS but still through the tv speakers and there was no popping noises coming from the tv speakers again.
Then when i changed hdmi audio to on (sound now will come out from my home theater speakers) the option to switch to pcm or bitstream etc. went unavailable/unclickable again and the popping and crackling continues when playing the sound through my home theater. so im starting to think maybe its my speakers? or maybe its the discs and my tv speakers arent popping or crackling beacause theyre not playing DTS or 5.1 channel sound as ive heard the star wars blu rays had bad dts mastering or encoding or whatever. what does everyone think? my last option may be to upgrade the firmware which ive tried before via usb but didnt work.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #19

Sep 2008

Hey kids,
I'm kind of having the same issue and it's happening on multiple tvs/setups. Has anyone heard an audio pop on the Blu-ray version of Star Wars Episode II at 1:57:08?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #20

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 View Post
Hey kids,
I'm kind of having the same issue and it's happening on multiple tvs/setups. Has anyone heard an audio pop on the Blu-ray version of Star Wars Episode II at 1:57:08?
I'll pop the disc in right now and get back to you...

I played the scene a few times....each time increasing the volume. There was no audible pop I could detect during that scene.....( this is the scene where yoda and the remaining jedi jump into the transport ship right )?
PBN Montana Loudspeakers: EPS-2, SPC-3, Mini Monitors. Wyred 4 Sound MMC amplifier

Last edited by Krelldog1977; 02-12-2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: update
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion