Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Horror Story: Asylum (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Taken 3 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Rose (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sullivanís Travels (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Merchant of Four Seasons (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole / Hugo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cries & Whispers (Blu-ray)
$22.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Power Member

Aug 2008
The Southland
Default DTS: X - Coming in March 2015

source: DTS

The company's latest audio tech is poised to compete with Dolby Atmos.

DTS has officially revealed its own object-based audio technology. Dubbed DTS:X, the new codec will launch in March of next year and will serve as the next-generation successor to DTS-HD Master Audio.

"DTS was founded with the goal of making the world sound better through constant innovation. DTS:X is a result of years of cutting-edge development in the area of object-based audio and reflects our continued commitment to provide listeners with incredible immersive audio experiences," said Jon Kirchner, Chairman and CEO of DTS, Inc. "Through incorporating DTS:X technology into a wide range of home AVR products, our partners will take the listening experience to another level. I look forward to sharing further details at the official DTS:X launch in March."

Leading audio manufacturers including Anthem, Denon, Integra, Krell, Marantz, McIntosh, Onkyo, Outlaw Audio, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Theta Digital, Trinnov Audio, and Yamaha have all signed on to release products that support DTS:X in 2015. Full details on the codec have not been announced yet, but the audio platform uses object-based mixing technology like Dolby's competing Atmos codec and will likely offer similar features and performance.

DTS:X is expected to launch in March 2015. More information will be revealed at that time.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

Aug 2014
Reading, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guydowood View Post
source: DTS

The company's latest audio tech is poised to compete with Dolby Atmos.

DTS has officially revealed its own object-based audio technology. Dubbed DTS:X, the new codec will launch in March of next year and will serve as the next-generation successor to DTS-HD Master Audio.

"DTS was founded with the goal of making the world sound better through constant innovation. DTS:X is a result of years of cutting-edge development in the area of object-based audio and reflects our continued commitment to provide listeners with incredible immersive audio experiences," said Jon Kirchner, Chairman and CEO of DTS, Inc. "Through incorporating DTS:X technology into a wide range of home AVR products, our partners will take the listening experience to another level. I look forward to sharing further details at the official DTS:X launch in March."

Leading audio manufacturers including Anthem, Denon, Integra, Krell, Marantz, McIntosh, Onkyo, Outlaw Audio, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Theta Digital, Trinnov Audio, and Yamaha have all signed on to release products that support DTS:X in 2015. Full details on the codec have not been announced yet, but the audio platform uses object-based mixing technology like Dolby's competing Atmos codec and will likely offer similar features and performance.

DTS:X is expected to launch in March 2015. More information will be revealed at that time.
The March/April time frame is synonymous with new AVR models. Does this mean the new 2015 AVR's with have this technology and HDMI with HDCP 2.2 integration implemented? Either way, good thing I held out!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #3

Jul 2008
Turku, Finland

I am planning to wait until the end of next year to see how many receivers we'll have supporting these new audio formats. Also hoping that we'll have a better selection of blu-ray titles including the new audio.

I want a 7.1.4 speaker set up so also waiting to see if there will be some new ceiling speakers coming out in 2015.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

I was wondering when they might announce something new. I guess I'll be holding off on any new receiver purchase until more info is available.
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Thanks given by:
Aerodude73 (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWarrior View Post
The March/April time frame is synonymous with new AVR models. Does this mean the new 2015 AVR's with have this technology and HDMI with HDCP 2.2 integration implemented? Either way, good thing I held out!

Timing is everything. I'm sure they're burning the midnight oil at DTS getting this thing sorted out.

There must be serious confusion at Dolby right now. This is going to be a straight-up fistfight. People will be spitting teeth after every conference at CES.

I really feel sorry for the folks that jumped on the early bandwagon, and landed in the tiger's cage. Of course, they should have known it was a circus as soon as the music started.
Thanks given by:
bakntim (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

Awesome to see Yamaha on the list!

Sucks I gotta wait for the RX-A2050 now though!

[Show spoiler]Hahaha! I don't mind waiting for something that's gonna be great!
Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
- Helen Keller
Old 12-31-2014, 03:00 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

Weird, I thought Auro 3D was dts' equivalent. So there are three options for multi-spatial surround sound? There's a High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray by Tiesto coming out this month featuring 9.1 Auro3D, which uses I believe 7.1 plus additional height/ceiling info.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2007

dts is out of the cinema market. I really don't understand another player in the home market for object based audio. Reality is that few will ever set systems up for it.
4k... really? The law of diminishing returns is fully in sight.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Anyone else think they could have come up with better names than Atmos and X for their brands?
Old 12-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok View Post
dts is out of the cinema market. I really don't understand another player in the home market for object based audio. Reality is that few will ever set systems up for it.

If they make it simple enough, it can be popular. Charging $2,000 minimum for a receiver is madness, along with enough conditions for placement to keep a team of audio engineers and lawyers tied up for weeks.

Talk about ants at a picnic...
Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Anyone else think they could have come up with better names than Atmos and X for their brands?

They're afraid to use the term "3-D audio" or anything that even sounds like it. That's a huge jinx.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Expert Member

Sep 2013

Quote:
So. Not like IIz, DSX or Presence are everywhere either. But, it is software.

Use it or not.
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
Old 01-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #13

Oct 2014

DTS X

This will be interesting, but I really have to wonder what content they are going to get???

I really doubt they will take a Dolby Atmos feature or even an Auro 11.1 feature and convert it, so this would mean to me that until there are MDA mixed cinema features, they have no content pipeline. DTS has been out of the cinema side for a long time. It is not like a normal D-Cinema soundtrack where anyone can just use the 5.1 or 7.1 PCM and code it with their own codec. Object based audio is a lot more involved.

I like how they worded it to say it will support the Atmos speaker layouts. Does that include working with the Dolby Atmos enabled up-firing speakers?

What DTS has done here is exactly what they wanted.. They made people on the fence about Atmos, take a step back and hold off buying. This gives them a chance to try and catch up with something. And I am guessing they are betting on the SMPTE/DCI to get their standard close enough so they can start pushing people to mix on their MDA authoring tools for cinema releases.

All the major studios around the world have installed a Dolby Atmos system in at least one mix stage. These will be able to lay down the standard tracks once it is agreed on, and that is all the DTS X (MDA) camp has ever planned on anyways, so the studios have no reason to switch from their current Atmos mixing setup. A few rooms did also put in Auro mixing ability because it was a different layout and requires a different mix buss setup, but once the standard is set, they will no longer need to bother with that. The standard will be object based with beds and moving objects in x,y,z coordinates.

The other big question... Will a DTS X encoded Blu Ray play on all current Blu Ray players??? It was bad enough to need a new AVR to take advantage of Dolby Atmos, but if you can't even play the disk on an existing system, they will have a serious problem. DTS went through that once when their original lossy system came out and they had to supply either a Dolby AC3 or PCM track to make the disks play, and that ate up a lot of bits on the disks. True, many people liked that the DTS versions rarely had any trailers on them, there just was no room.

All that being said... Competition does improve the breed. If they come out with reasonable priced AVR's that support 16 outputs for DTS X, then most likely, they will also play Dolby Atmos over those added outputs too. At this stage on the game, I do not see anyone making a DTS x AVR that will not also play Atmos. That would just be dumb. Just look at every box on the market now that can play Auro. They all play Atmos. Even the one branded by Auro and built by Datasat.

I do not think anyone at Dolby broke a sweat at all on the DTS X announcement.
Thanks given by:
Aerodude73 (01-02-2015), Scarriere (01-05-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
actually no they aren't - DTS is now known as Datasat.

this is all fine and dandy, but I don't see how this will sway the studios in porting over these audio mixes for bluray application - aren't Dolby Atmos mixing exclusive to Dolby? DTS would have to do a completely new separate mix mirroring what the Atmos mixes sounded like - right?

and unless DTS has studios up their sleeves in backing up this up, this could be another DTS Neo X - that up and died rather quickly.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #15
Power Member

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Nice. But DTS:X is not really a killername.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
The £Ŗ«

I think they should go with DTS:PS or DTS:Pro-SET.
Digital Theater Sound: Progressive Sound Envelopment Technology
Old 01-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
Suspended

Jul 2009

I'll wait for DTS: Neo X 11 π with a 19.6.12 speaker system.
Thanks given by:
Aerodude73 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

I hope this gets better support than Atmos has. 3 months and we only have 3 titles out and there all bad movies

But yeah I will probably wait for a receiver that is compatible with both Atmos and DTS:X before upgrading my sound system but having at least a couple good movies that support the format is also needed. I haven't seen John Wick which supposedly will have Atmos and while I love Gravity the lack of 3D support on the re-release makes it worthless in my opinion. We need some support for object based sound
3D: Cause two eyes are better then one
Deleting posts is like burning books
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVinstallGuy View Post

I do not think anyone at Dolby broke a sweat at all on the DTS X announcement.

I do. There's serious consternation over there.

Dolby jumped out very early, possibly too early, and gathered the few people who got marketed to with "the only solution" advertising riff.

That small, receding window is rapidly disappearing. Instead of marketing that they have the only solution, they'll now have to somehow market that they have the best solution.

This is a real problem. Dolby has a famous brand name, so has some credibility with it. If they say their solution is best, people will accept that at first, but will also want to see a clearly defined ass-whoopin over competitors.

That may not be possible. There is almost no content. The manufacturers are not interested in another format war, and neither are content producers.

No one else has a dog in this fight. Dolby has to carry the advertising load all by themselves. Most people don't give a hoot about it.

Dolby is not in a position to call this a non-issue.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #20
Expert Member

Sep 2013

How is Atmos and X a "format war"?

TrueHD and HD-MA aren't exactly "at war"...but if they were, DTS is winning.

What I don't understand, is all the people complaining...

Have never implemented Presence, DSX or IIz in the home.

I wish those individuals would shut up already...and let those that have experience with DSX, Presence and IIz enjoy the extra enjoyment of true object based sound over spatially cued.
Main Theatre

JVC DLA-RS60 with Screen Research ClearPix II Hitachi P50X901
Onkyo TX-NR1008: BIC V830/820/62/62clrs in 9.1 height
Oppo 970 Universal DVD and Mits VHS (both NTSC/PAL)
Panasonic DMP BD35, Orei M2 (set region B) and Toshiba HD-A3
Onkyo DX-390, Dual 1218, Nak 680, RCA CED, DirecTV and Lenovo Q190
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (01-02-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion