Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Prom Night (Blu-ray)
$17.30
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #1

Dec 2012
Santa Lucia, Malta
Post Help me setting up my new Bluray Player sound effects settings.

I got this new bluray dvd player , and when i tested a bluray movie on it (jaws), in the pop up menu, there was an option called "Sound effects" . Which one am i going to choose ? Leave it off or "Night Surround" or "Re-master" 1 or 2 or 3 or else i can choose "Digital Tube Sound" 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 or 6 ?

I also set the "Dialogue Enhancer" to on and "High Clarity Sound" on on.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #2

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl View Post
I got this new bluray dvd player , and when i tested a bluray movie on it (jaws), in the pop up menu, there was an option called "Sound effects" . Which one am i going to choose ? Leave it off or "Night Surround" or "Re-master" 1 or 2 or 3 or else i can choose "Digital Tube Sound" 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 or 6 ?

Its all user preference there is no right or wrong. If you want unchanged audio then turn off every thing you listed. If you turn any of those on and like them, well that would be your preference.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva IPS-1 (7 Channel) || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 || Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony Ultimate Remote ||
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #3

Dec 2012
Santa Lucia, Malta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Its all user preference there is no right or wrong. If you want unchanged audio then turn off every thing you listed. If you turn any of those on and like them, well that would be your preference.
The only reason i turned them on is because i sometimes find it difficult to hear the dialogue speecehes from my center speaker because of room problems.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
The only reason i turned them on is because i sometimes find it difficult to hear the dialogue speecehes from my center speaker because of room problems.
You can always try to raise the trim levels in your receiver for the center channel .
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

Dec 2012
Santa Lucia, Malta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
You can always try to raise the trim levels in your receiver for the center channel .
Its already about 3-4 dB higher than my fronts. I think the problem is that thw center speaker is mounted on my 65inch , so its pretty high and its barely pointed down to the listening position , so until i find a place for the cc under the tv, i switched these settings to on.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Its already about 3-4 dB higher than my fronts. I think the problem is that thw center speaker is mounted on my 65inch , so its pretty high and its barely pointed down to the listening position , so until i find a place for the cc under the tv, i switched these settings to on.
You can use small rubber doorstops to better aim your center channel down into the listening area.
On a never ending mission to stop the spread of BS.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Power Member

Sep 2009

In regards to the sound effects settings, these are almost the same thing you see on most CD/Radio systems. On those they are called-rock,classic,pop,etc. Basically all that is being done is equalization. You're better off going into the treble and bass settings of your receiver to adjust these to preference.
On a never ending mission to stop the spread of BS.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:

Turn night surround to off. Night Surround decreases the volume for late night viewing (which you don't want.)
Dialogue Enhancer should be turned off as well. You don't want to output any artificial sound enhancements, when you're listening to lossless, or HD audio. You definitely want to hear the soundtrack exactly the way it was recorded on the master.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-14-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

The absolute best way is to just pic a section of a movie you want to hear a certain way and then just try all settings.

I agree with slimdude. Just turn that night time cr@p off. Depending on your brand of player, it also cuts out the LFE channel and completely sucks out your sub woofer.

You are better served just turning your volume down at night for that.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

If the player is set to bitstream, none of those settings have any effect. They only matter if you set the player to output PCM.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
You definitely want to hear the soundtrack exactly the way it was recorded on the master.
Movies are mixed to play at reference level in large auditoriums. That may not be optimal for smaller home environments at lower volumes. So, some adjustments may be helpful.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #12

Dec 2012
Santa Lucia, Malta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
If the player is set to bitstream, none of those settings have any effect. They only matter if you set the player to output PCM.

Yes, my settings are set to Bitstream. Should i leave it in bitstream ?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Movies are mixed to play at reference level in large auditoriums. That may not be optimal for smaller home environments at lower volumes. So, some adjustments may be helpful.
Not necessarily! Making adjustments to lossless audio, can be a hindrance, to fully output 100 percent of its sound... When you're listening a lossless soundtrack on blu-ray, there is no audio adjustments needed. Why altered lossless audio, when the bitrate is sonically identical to the master recording? You'll be defeating the purpose of listening to lossless audio, if you're going to make adjustments, and manually reduce the sound! It's lossless! This is exactly why I can't understand why some people prefer to use matrix processing enhancements, whey they're listening to lossless audio. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-15-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Yes, my settings are set to Bitstream. Should i leave it in bitstream ?
It makes no difference where the decoding is done. You get the same PCM either way. I was merely pointing out that the discussion about the player's processing modes is not relevant if you set the output to bitstream.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
When you're listening a lossless soundtrack on blu-ray, there is no audio adjustments needed.
It would appear you didn't read my post. Listening in smaller spaces at lower volumes affects what you hear. Compensating for those differences is a good thing. By your reasoning, people should not use room correction software such as Audyssey since the soundtrack will not play back exactly as it was recorded.

Last edited by BIslander; 01-16-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #16

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Not necessarily! Making adjustments to lossless audio, can be a hindrance, to fully output 100 percent of its sound... When you're listening a lossless soundtrack on blu-ray, there is no audio adjustments needed. Why altered lossless audio, when the bitrate is sonically identical to the master recording? You'll be defeating the purpose of listening to lossless audio, if you're going to make adjustments, and manually reduce the sound! It's lossless! This is exactly why I can't understand why some people prefer to use matrix processing enhancements, whey they're listening to lossless audio. It doesn't make any sense to me.
It really doesn't matter what the producers have done. What you hear in your room and with your equipment, particularly your speakers, is completely different than what was on the studio master or the sound engineers heard in their studio. That is why you need to make adjustments to all the speakers, particularly to the subwoofer(s).

You need to read the following threads.

Why Do We Need Equalization and Room Correction?
A Guide to Audyssey Auto Calibration & Other Technologies
[LIST][*]The interaction between lower frequencies and boundaries causes the most problem.

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...ndRoomsPt3.pdf
Quote:
When a full-range signal is panned to each of the loudspeakers in turn, and measurements are made at the listening position, we find hugely different bass responses for each of the loudspeakers. The differences are as large as 40dB in this room, and the biggest ones are all at low frequencies. The reason, the woofers each have very different acoustical “coupling” to the room resonances because they are in different locations. This will be different for every different room. Again, referring back to the “circle of confusion” the bass that was heard in the control room will not be the same as that heard at home. It cannot be.

TooleBassResponse.jpg
We have five very different bass sounds, one for each channel!

Attempting to improve the situation by panning the bass to pairs of loudspeakers changes things, but does not remove the problem. Anybody think that an “ideal” room can help this? An anechoic room would, but none of us would wish to live in one.

And this is why bass management and subwoofers make sense. Now we can place the woofers where they perform optimally for a specific room with a specific listening position. We can place the satellites (a term that seems inappropriate for some of the large capable loudspeakers that we use in the high-passed channels) where they need to be for directional and imaging effects. In other words, we design the low-frequency portion of the system separately because rooms force us to do so. This is the only way that we can get good bass in any room, and have any hope of having similarly good bass in different rooms. Remember about preserving the art?
http://www.audyssey.com/node/545
Quote:
SUBWOOFER CORRECTION

MultEQ corrects the subwoofer in every seat providing precise bass reproduction.

HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Special Member

Nov 2011

Many thanks to Big Daddy for his work on the informative documents. I got a surround sound system (my first) for Christmas and after having just plopped them down anywhere am working on fine tuning. Those resources are very informative!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion