Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gone Girl (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$54.99
101 Dalmatians (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Dumb and Dumber To (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (Blu-ray)
$18.00
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$50.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$13.00
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.00
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Matrix Surround to 3D Immersive whats the common thread?

I have a question - how many of you set your HT's up as per Dolby's recommendations? I remember when dedicated channels came out with AC3 - I think that's when Dolby went to recommending mono-poles in the rear at ear level.

Psycho-acoustically... do you thing we have been brought out of immersiveness (bipole/dipole and raised surrounds), to direct cued sounds (mono-poles because of the individual - non matrixed, sounds of AC3, DTS, and their high res counterparts TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA), only to bring back immersiveness with more speakers (object based tracks)? How many of you have had bipoles on the side and back walls of your HT? Do they sound more immersive than a mono-pole system. This is just a thought - I only find one thing in common with all of them...each successive manifestation requires you to buy more gear...especially speakers!!!!

I just had a thought - and around here we need something to talk about

This is not a thread about Atmos vs DTS-X vs Auro 3D, in this thread they are all on the same side. What I would like people to do is to think back to their older systems and consider their performance. What sets your current system apart? What did you give up (if anything) when you changed, what did you gain?

I started with direct radiators in the late 80's early 90's - but leave it to ...cough-cough, the Bose AM-7 system to show me something...I loved the diffuse soundfield of non direct radiating speakers!!! After that I went to Definitive Technology and never looked back as far as surrounds go. I listened to the demos of Mono-pole speakers when Dolby changed its standards to direct radiators and came away unimpressed. Yes I heard the distinct channels - but the "atmosphere" was gone. I could hear distinct channels with my bipoles - but there was an immersiveness that was still there. This increased with BD - using the same Def Tech speakers...as a matter of fact - they are the only speakers that remain from the 90's in my system. Every other piece is gone.

Are we being led down a path of predicted upgrades on purpose? I'd just like to know....this is just the conspiracy theorist in me coming out

This is a fun thread - no right or wrong answers - just think about if you've been led down the HT path, or how you've grown (because if it adds value to you - it's growth, if its do it because others do ...its sheeple).
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Quote:
the Bose AM-7 system
Nothing compares to an Acoustimass bass module.

Nothing.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 AM   #3

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Nothing compares to an Acoustimass bass module.

Nothing.
They didn't last long in my system - It wasn't the "bass" module that impressed me - it was the direct reflecting rear speakers...I can still remember how the rain in Unforgiven sounded! That was an eye opener. I think I used those as rears for a minute. I understood immersive then...never went back to mono-pole speakers for rears again. Oh and I had the 7's and the 5's so that was the equivelent to having the AM-10's driven by Yamaha m-80's and Kenwood M-1's
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion