Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Given a choice of an extended cut DVD or theatrical cut Blu-ray, you would...
Not buy the blu-ray 45 37.50%
Buy the blu-ray, and watch it once 3 2.50%
Buy the blu-ray, and watch it instead of the extended cut 37 30.83%
Quit complaining and just enjoy that wonderful picture. 35 29.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Default Extended cuts vs. theatrical cuts

With the official announcement of Narnia confirming that it will be the theatrical cut and not the extended cut, I was just wondering what you all thought about this. I personally prefer the extended cuts of most movies that have one and I don't think I would buy the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray if I had the extended cut on DVD. I am referring especially to Lord of the Rings and King Kong. So I quess my question is would you still buy a Blu-ray theatrical cut even if you would never watch it because you have and watch the extended cut on DVD?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #2

Nov 2007
Somewhere between here and there

I don't think I'll be picking this one up untill the Extended Cut comes out on Blu. I just don't like the good old Double Dipp!
Mitshbishi 60" 1080p DLP
Playstation 3 40gig
Infinity Interlude Series 5.1 setup
Onkyo DR-C500 Receiver

LG 42LH40 42" 1080p LCD
Panasonic DMP-BD60
Old 03-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to statikcat Send a message via Yahoo to statikcat

Typically, I can wait.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
BC, Canada

depending on the movie, but I often enjoy entended cuts more and thus, I wait and don't buy anthing until I can get what I want on Blu.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2006
New Brighton, MN

Generally I don't like the extended cuts. I loves me my film scores! And what happens in these extended cuts is they suffer. A bunch of extended cuts feature pointless scenes added in upsetting the flow of the film and destroying the score by having it repeat and having bad cuts with it.

Having said that, there's certain extended cuts I think are nessisary. Kingdom of Heaven is fantastic, the theatrical cut with is shorter actually felt longer because you have a hard time caring about what's going on and have a hard time following the story.

Lord of the Rings trilogy also is nessiary. The way the extended cuts are done are flawless. They wrote new music for the scenes and they blend in very well.
- Players Used: Sony BDP-S570 / PS3 (ID: Jackal1985)
- Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR808
- Speakers: Klipsch Synergy 1 Series (7)
- Subs: 2 Yamaha YST-SW315
- TV: Panasonic TH-58PZ800u Plasma
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch71 View Post
I don't think I'll be picking this one up untill the Extended Cut comes out on Blu. I just don't like the good old Double Dipp!

The Patriot Extended Edition was very good.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

I prefer extended cuts and if it is announced to be released I will wait for that version.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Feb 2008

It depends on what is being put in to the movie. Some extended cuts simple put deleted material into the theatrical cut for no rhyme or reason.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #9

Jan 2008
Midwest

I personally like the extended cuts which typically are the directors vision they originally intended but were forced to remove for length or to obtain a friendlier MPAA rating.

I really dislike when only the theatrical version is released when there is a know longer/extended version already available and the studio is bilking the public hoping to cash in on multiple releases.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Special Member

Jan 2008
Fort Worth, TX

Extended cuts are always lame. I don't understand why anyone would want an extended cut. Why would you want footage that was deemed not good enough for a theatrical release to be crammed in?

And I disagree with the notion that most extended cuts are the director's intended version. That would be a director's cut which is different. Extended cuts are almost always just a way to make it seem like you're getting more. Because people tend to falsely think more is better. It's just a marketing gimmick.

Last edited by CheapChildren; 03-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #11

Oct 2007
Georgia

I prefer extended cuts sometimes, but I no longer buy or watch dvds unless I'm at someone else's house with a regular dvd player.

I've been spoiled by Blu-ray quality and there is no going back.
-Panasonic TC-P58V10 58" Plasma
-Sony PS3 Blu-ray Player FAT
-Onkyo NR807 Receiver
-Definitive Tech. Pro1000 FL/FR--Mythos GEMXL RL/RR
-Definitive Tech. 2002 Center
-Definitive Supercube II Sub.(5.1 Channel setup)
Format War Veteran:
*Blu-blooded since October 26, 2007*
Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Power Member

Aug 2007
Austin, TX

Depends on the movie. Plain and simple.
"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #13

Nov 2007

Depends on the movie, and if it's a real Director's Cut like Kingdom of Heaven or if it's just a cash-in gimmick.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #14

Jan 2008
Dallas, Texas

You know, my whole gripe is how some of the blu-rays (Troy) doesn't give you both options. I remember a lot of DVD's used to have both on the same disc, or have both on the shelf. There are some movies, where the theatrical version is actually better and I don't want the director's cut. Or, maybe I watch the director cut and decide I like the theatrical version so the next time I watch the regular one. With a lot of these movies, you are stuck because it only has the extended version.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay Area PSN Id: ferris23 (aka Mr. Mute)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
Generally I don't like the extended cuts. I loves me my film scores! And what happens in these extended cuts is they suffer. A bunch of extended cuts feature pointless scenes added in upsetting the flow of the film and destroying the score by having it repeat and having bad cuts with it.

Having said that, there's certain extended cuts I think are nessisary. Kingdom of Heaven is fantastic, the theatrical cut with is shorter actually felt longer because you have a hard time caring about what's going on and have a hard time following the story.

Lord of the Rings trilogy also is nessiary. The way the extended cuts are done are flawless. They wrote new music for the scenes and they blend in very well.
You know, I've heard of this happening (repeating score excerpts) with some extended cuts, but have never experienced it. I just haven't seen too many extended cuts. LOTR is one I've seen, but as you've pointed out, Jackson had Shore compose and conduct more original score for the film, so I couldn't notice a problem that didn't exist there,

I'll watch whatever version is put out when I'm ready to buy it, and won't double-dip.
Sony Bravia 40" 1080p
Yamaha RX-V565BL 630-Watt 7-Channel Receiver
Sony PS3 60 GB (Launch)RIP
Sony PS3 120 GB Slim
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Integrated-Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Speaker System
Sennheiser RS 120 Wireless Headphones
Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

There's no reason why Narnia can't also have the extended cut via seamless branching. Unless I can get it cheap, I'll pass on this one.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbd3000 View Post
I personally prefer the extended cuts of most movies that have one and I don't think I would buy the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray if I had the extended cut on DVD. I am referring especially to Lord of the Rings and King Kong.
Also don't forget Terminator 2.

This is why I never bought the T2 BD. If the extended cut has made it to a few different versions of the DVD, what's the problem getting it on BD.

It's a blatant double dip attempt.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
Venice Baby!

We shouldn't have to choose since the technology for seamless branching has been available for a decade now. I usually prefer the theatrical since that is the version I watched the most. A few exceptions out there like LOTR but even that I like having both available. I guess if I didn't have a choice I would prefer to have the theatrical version available over the extended. I won't buy Payback on blu because it is the inferior director's cut which changed the entire movie drastically, and in my opinion for the worse.

Narnia felt long as it is, so I have no problem with the theatrical of this one.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Also don't forget Terminator 2.

This is why I never bought the T2 BD. If the extended cut has made it to a few different versions of the DVD, what's the problem getting it on BD.

It's a blatant double dip attempt.
this was my biggest disappointment of any of my blus. i believe that with all the space and the fact that they want everyone to adopt blu, they should include everything they can thats been available on sd dvd. then they can go back and always dig up more stuff. for the 75th anniversary wooptydo set
Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #20
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

I'm for alternate cuts if they're director-endorsed.

If they're just marketing deals that aren't director's cuts then I don't see the point of them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America