Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
12 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #1

Dec 2006
Default Will HD-DVD soon be mentioned in same breath as DVHS, DivX, Beta & 8 tracks?

Why bother with HD-DVD? Really? Hell, they even release the DVD version on the other side of some the movies. That's not moving home video consumers into the future. It's holding them back with OPTIONS. When are we going to stop giving the public OPTIONS for the best quality and just plain GIVE IT to them?!

Tell the world, "Kiss your 480p movies and your 4x3 televisons...GOOD (freakin') BYE already, and say 'HELLO' to HD 16x9 t.v's and Blu-Ray's 1080p!"

HD-DVD is like the WNBA.

It's a pale imitation of something that someone else does BETTER!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Expert Member

Jan 2005
Makati, Philippines

With only one primary manufacturer (Toshiba), such presence would only accelerate its downfall.

Especially with LG and Sharp jumping on board next year, the Blu-ray CE companies would all bombard against the lone primary manufacturer (Toshiba).

Another catalyst for their downfall is these stupid combo discs. Because of adding the other side for DVD, their prices are now higher than Blu-ray disc prices.

Utter stupidity right there and it's unimagineable.

That's stupidity that not even plazman, Amir, nataraj and the dreaded rdjam can ever hide.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #3

Sep 2006

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=4249
Old 12-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Special Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyD1080p View Post
Why bother with HD-DVD? Really? Hell, they even release the DVD version on the other side of some the movies. That's not moving home video consumers into the future. It's holding them back with OPTIONS. When are we going to stop giving the public OPTIONS for the best quality and just plain GIVE IT to them?!

Tell the world, "Kiss your 480p movies and your 4x3 televisons...GOOD (freakin') BYE already, and say 'HELLO' to HD 16x9 t.v's and Blu-Ray's 1080p!"

HD-DVD is like the WNBA.

True, but you can't include 8 tracks because the others failed(for mass population) in a short period of time where as 8 track sold well and just ran it's course in life. Unfortunately I'm old enough to know!!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #5

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Z06 View Post
True, but you can't include 8 tracks because the others failed(for mass population) in a short period of time where as 8 track sold well and just ran it's course in life. Unfortunately I'm old enough to know!!
And you can still get County Music on 8 tracks.

Paladin
Old 12-23-2006, 01:18 AM   #6

Dec 2006

Betamax survived for a very long time (27 years, to be exact). But eventually, movie companies stopped distributing their films on this medium because the sales were marginal. Stores, of course, did not like to double stock identical titles.

I predict HD-DVD makes it to a fifth year, as far as the manufacture of players is concerned. Since Microsoft has gotten behind the medium, we may get dual sided games (omg, just like movies).

It will be the availability of dual format players that keeps HD-DVD alive. Every year it stays alive will be another reason to produce such players, i.e., there will be a critical mass of titles that people still need to play.

Look, right now things are very cloudy. So many events are going on, and it is difficult to make a prediction. The next skirmish will be the release of "must have" high-definition movies, such as Lord of the Ring: Fellowship of the Ring, Star Wars ep. 1-6, etc. After or before that, a high def disc-based PVR will be the hot ticket. Toshiba has deep pockets. And a lot of pride. Look how long Pioneer kept laserdisc alive. And of course, remember how long Sony continued producing Betamax decks. Never underestimate the staying power of Japanese corporations.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

I don't think it will last that long in current form. HD-DVD will survive longer in another form...dual format players. Otherwise, I think the stockholders are a lot more involved than they were in the past. I think they would insist that Toshiba stop trying to push HD-DVD players (in it's original form) in this day and time (given the same situation in the format battles of old).
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 12-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

Well I'm constantly mentioning it in the same breath as those others
Old 12-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #9

Dec 2006
Talking Unfortunately HD DVD is actually winning

I have been in blu-Rays camp way before it was launched, but this is a real war, and one that Sony is losing. Read this article:

http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybe..._vs_blura.html

It seems that buyers like the more affordable players and the option to play the standard dvd version that comes on the combo disks. Nobody can find a PS3 and the only other available player is a grand. Hewlett Packard jumped off the Blu-Ray ship and I hear that Disney and Lionsgate are next.
I went shopping at Target for some movies and the Blu-Ray movies were all in stock while the HD DVD movies were almost all completely sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyD1080p View Post

HD-DVD is like the WNBA.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #10

Dec 2006
Talking Interesting

History has taught us well. Do you remember Beta? Mini Disks? UMD? It is true that only 1 technology will be triumphant, but why would Toshiba stop when they are outselling 7 to 1? Sony has teh superior technology that was fumbled by part shortages and outdated MPEG movie encryption. Sony is in trouble and thats why they switched out their executives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended_Saiyan View Post
I don't think it will last that long in current form. HD-DVD will survive longer in another form...dual format players. Otherwise, I think the stockholders are a lot more involved than they were in the past. I think they would insist that Toshiba stop trying to push HD-DVD players (in it's original form) in this day and time (given the same situation in the format battles of old).
Old 12-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #11

Dec 2006
Default Read this article

READ THIS
http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybe..._vs_blura.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie W. Holmes View Post
Betamax survived for a very long time (27 years, to be exact). But eventually, movie companies stopped distributing their films on this medium because the sales were marginal. Stores, of course, did not like to double stock identical titles.

I predict HD-DVD makes it to a fifth year, as far as the manufacture of players is concerned. Since Microsoft has gotten behind the medium, we may get dual sided games (omg, just like movies).

It will be the availability of dual format players that keeps HD-DVD alive. Every year it stays alive will be another reason to produce such players, i.e., there will be a critical mass of titles that people still need to play.

Look, right now things are very cloudy. So many events are going on, and it is difficult to make a prediction. The next skirmish will be the release of "must have" high-definition movies, such as Lord of the Ring: Fellowship of the Ring, Star Wars ep. 1-6, etc. After or before that, a high def disc-based PVR will be the hot ticket. Toshiba has deep pockets. And a lot of pride. Look how long Pioneer kept laserdisc alive. And of course, remember how long Sony continued producing Betamax decks. Never underestimate the staying power of Japanese corporations.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

eric, what's your stance on this?

in honesty, you have linked us to a blog which spews all the old crap that we have heard. in honesty, we hear the same thing time and again and it is disproved time and again. do you have any original thoughts, arguments, or points of view?
:)

Sony KDF-50E2000, Yamaha RX-V1700, Samsung BD-P1000, PS3 60GB, B&W 602 S2 fronts, B&W CC6 center, B&W 601 S2 rears, M&K-125 sub

-Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.

-...blacking out is, as Hemingway pointed out, a way of experiencing the great mystery of death, without dying.

-december BD's- 5/ warner 3... warner total ~15
Old 12-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknub View Post

in honesty, you have linked us to a blog which spews all the old crap that we have heard. in honesty, we hear the same thing time and again and it is disproved time and again. do you have any original thoughts, arguments, or points of view?
Look at his post history. I think it's pretty obvious what his "stance" is.
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

i decided to not go that route . let the snake crawl out of the bushes and trap him rather than crawl into the pit with him.
:)

Sony KDF-50E2000, Yamaha RX-V1700, Samsung BD-P1000, PS3 60GB, B&W 602 S2 fronts, B&W CC6 center, B&W 601 S2 rears, M&K-125 sub

-Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.

-...blacking out is, as Hemingway pointed out, a way of experiencing the great mystery of death, without dying.

-december BD's- 5/ warner 3... warner total ~15
Old 12-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknub View Post

Wow, that blog even tried to talk about HD DVD/DVD combo discs as a positive thing for the HD DVD crowd. Even on AVS they recognise this as a bad idea as the disc cost goes up by around $5.

The section on computing makes absolutely no sense, DVD and HD DVD use different laser wavelengths, DVD players will never be able to read HD DVDs, even if the NA is the same, the track pitch is completely different.

On the Killer_App(tm) BD has an extremely large exclusive back catalogue, compared to HD DVD, Star Wars anybody?
Free at last...
Old 12-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

"Will HD-DVD soon be mentioned in same breath as DVHS, DivX, Beta & 8 tracks?"

It already is for the most part, as far as I'm personally concerned.
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America