Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moebius (Blu-ray)
$17.97
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 AM   #1

Jan 2008
Default Blu-ray on regular TV

If you hook a Blu-Ray player up to a regular TV (non-HD, few years old), how will it look? I mean, obviously it won't be high definition, but will it still look as good as DVD or would it be a problem?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Blu-rays will look a little better. They will look a little cleaner, like having less compresion noise, because the dowscaling will decimate that into almost nothing, so the look will aproach that of 480p uncompressed. (many DVDs were mastered optimized for 480i displays and of course they have MPEG-2 compression)
Please use the Feedback forum/threads to contact me
Old 03-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #3

Jan 2008

Okay thanks! I just wanted to make sure the picture wouldn't freak out on a standard TV.

Logically, it would probably make more sense for me to get an HDTV first, and then start saving up for a Blu-Ray Player. But, I just REALLY want Blu-Ray so bad. And I figure, if I buy BD player now, I can start buying BD movies. So when I do have a HDTV, I'll already have a nice collection of BD movies.

Or maybe I'm just impatient.

Last edited by Cinemaddict; 03-17-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #4

Feb 2008

If you play games too, get the tv first. If not, doesn't overly matter which you get first.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #5

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemaddict View Post
Okay thanks! I just wanted to make sure the picture wouldn't freak out on a standard TV.

Logically, it would probably make more sense for me to get an HDTV first, and then start saving up for a Blu-Ray Player. But, I just REALLY want Blu-Ray so bad. And I figure, if I buy BD player now, I can start buying BD movies. So when I do have a HDTV, I'll already have a nice collection of BD movies.

That is not a bad plan. Blu is the future so best to start buying Blu now. It can always catch up with your home theater system in the future.

If you buy a SD movie nowdays you are most likely going to want to rebuy it on Blu in the future so save the time and just get Blu to start.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #6

Nov 2007

To be blunt, a Blu-ray player on a standard TV is pretty damn stupid. You gain a lot more picture quality from showing a standard anamorphic DVD on a HDTV than you do from showing a Blu-ray on a standard TV.

Also, Blu-ray players will only get better with time. If you wait to buy a Blu-ray player when you have a HDTV to show it on, you can get a better player than the ones on the market now (and it will be cheaper than the current ones too).

Again, not to be a jerk, but buying a Blu-ray player now and connecting it to an old standard-def TV is pretty stupid.

Last edited by sean10mm; 03-17-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #7

Jan 2008

Quote:

I'd buy the TV first. The players are only going to come down in price and improve in features and quality.

In a year or two I bet this will be the upgrade path though... buy a lower price Blu-ray player because it plays all your regular DVDs too... then the TV.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #8

Mar 2007
Toronto Ontario Canada

Many of the posts here had some good points.

I say jump on blu first. It will still work with your existing TV and play your existing DvDs. You can also begin to grow your blu collection right away instead of buying DvDs that you'll want to trash in a few years.

Yes, you are not getting the most of blu with your current setup, but that's Ok. The day you get your awesome screen will be a complete orgasm when you see the difference it will suddenly make with all your discs.

Or you can be like me if I were you. I'd buy a blu player first, buy blu discs and (make sure they're not defective first) and put them away till I get my TV. Boy will it be a party when I get my TV!
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! ... HA? ........................... HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA! HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA! HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Power Member

Mar 2005
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
To be blunt, a Blu-ray player on a standard TV is pretty damn stupid. You gain a lot more picture quality from showing a standard anamorphic DVD on a HDTV than you do from showing a Blu-ray on a standard TV.

Also, Blu-ray players will only get better with time. If you wait to buy a Blu-ray player when you have a HDTV to show it on, you can get a better player than the ones on the market now (and it will be cheaper than the current ones too).

Again, not to be a jerk, but buying a Blu-ray player now and connecting it to an old standard-def TV is pretty stupid.
have you tried it
All in favor when it comes to movies in high definition and blu-ray looks like the way to go because it can store great deal of Hd. But what about Hvd (Holographic Versatile Disc) that can store as much as one terabyte? Perfer movies original formats!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:06 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Even though i is true that players will decrease in price and get better, so will TVs. If you buy movies then it comes down to not buying BD now means you will continue increasing your DVD collection and then need to rebuy them.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #11

Jan 2008

Fantastic responses from different points of view, thanks all!

The whole story is that I still live at home, and my parents have an HDTV. But I'm moving away to college this fall. So if I buy a BD player now, I'll have 5 or 6 months with HD glory because I move away and leave it behind. Then I'll just have my little standard TV. But then again, maybe I'll find a good deal on an HDTV come Christmas time.

I don't plan on replacing my ENTIRE collection of DVDs with Blu-Rays. Just my favorites, like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. But nonetheless, I buy DVDs fairly often, and it would be nice to start buying Blu-Rays ASAP.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #12

Jan 2008

Hmmm... What kind of computer would you be using while at college. If you have a desktop computer with a LCD monitor you might just be able to hook the Blu-ray player to the LCD directly. If you haven't bought a computer yet and you're looking at a desktop you could make sure the monitor supports HDMI or even 1080i over DVI-D. Or you could get a PC or a laptop with a Blu-ray drive in it. The software is a bit of a challenge, but with a solid PC and video card it works. Blu-ray drives for PCs are actually pretty reasonable when compared to a PS3 or a stand alone player.

If you already own a laptop then well... none of these ideas will work.

You'll get Blu-ray quality in a small package... definitely better than SD TV.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
Expert Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post

Unless it's a PS3!
I HAD to have one now with GTAIV, MGSIV, and Forces Unleashed coming out soon. I must say, the BLU's (and regular DVD's for that matter) definitely look better than DVD player did. Even on SD television. I can't get my T.V. until after October (wedding). So I'm gonna wait and rock the Black Friday deals. Until then, I get to enjoy my PS3 and build my Blu collection.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 AM   #14
Expert Member

Mar 2008

Quote:

Just get a HDTV and a PS3 to go!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion