Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
610
13
Default BOSE Acoustimass/Lifestyle systems - why you should steer clear!!

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Good reading. These guys, they sure know how to make money.

EDIT - the website is no longer maintained, you can access the article through the Way Back Archive here - http://web.archive.org/web/200506010....net/bose.html
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)

Last edited by dobyblue; 07-24-2013 at 03:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
ManUtd ManUtd is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
ManUtd's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
In my HT
1
817
5
5
Default

I bet even after reading that article, some people will still buy Bose.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
610
13
Default

Good Lord man, it's worse than I thought!!

280 Hz to 13.3k Hz at ±10.5 dB

That's for the satellites in their $1,300 Acoustimass rubbish.

Absolutely pathetic. 280Hz at - 10.5dB?

That gives new meaning to the word GARBAGE. You're better off with the friggin' WHITE VAN.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
610
13
Default

The "sub" - 46 Hz to 202 Hz at ±2.3 dB

Blech - these test figures are from Sound and Vision as well.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
un4gvn94538 un4gvn94538 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
un4gvn94538's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)
579
18
736
180
Default

this needs to be stickied!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Pelican170 Pelican170 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Pelican170's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager
420
252
2
Default

Wow, good info for those who didnt know. Hopefully some eyes have been opened by this...
______________________________
Panasonic Vierra TH-50PZ800U
Sharp LC-70LE857U
PS3 320 GB Slim
PS4 500 GB---> 1TB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
ManUtd ManUtd is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
ManUtd's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
In my HT
1
817
5
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn94538 View Post
this needs to be stickied!
Maybe it should be in my signature.

On second thought....
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
HDJK HDJK is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
HDJK's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Switzerland
2
Default

Quote:
To reiterate the above, the Acoustimass's bass module responds to 46 Hz to 202 Hz at ±2.3 dB, while the satellites respond to 280 Hz to 13.3 KHz at ±10.5 dB.
Wow, just wow.They just totally ignore a range of 80Hz
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
610
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
Wow, just wow.They just totally ignore a range of 80Hz
Isn't that just disgusting?
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
DC_Street DC_Street is offline
Power Member
 
DC_Street's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Denver, CO
142
30
Default

thank you soo much for posting that link, now I can show this to my brother so he will stop trashing my Onkyo system saying Bose is a superior product and sounds sooo much more detailed and clear while my system sounds like trash
John 3:16
I do Blu!
100+ Blu-rays and counting...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
RIPSeanTaylor21 RIPSeanTaylor21 is offline
Special Member
 
RIPSeanTaylor21's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
FedEX Field, Ring Of Fame 11/30/2008
35
216
27
Default

its clear to anyone who knows anything of audio, that Bose is way to over priced, they sound distorted, and its just loud noise from small speakers, no clarity really, the highs and lows are way off, not like a pair of vienna accoustics or martin logans
*NEW* Pioneer Elite-KURO 50" PRO-111FD 1080p Plasma * LG50 42" 1080p LCD (Bedroom) * Sony BDP 350 Blu Ray Player * Sony BDPs 300 Blu Ray Player (Bedroom) * Denon 2308 CI A/V Reciever * Klipsch Reference 82-Series Tower Speakers BIAMPED * Klipsch Reference RB 51 Bookshelf Speakers (Surround) * Panamax 5300 EX Power Conditioner * Microsoft XBOX 360 60GB Pro * Apple 16GB 2nd Gen iTouch

My Blu Ray Collection

Rest In Peace Sean M. Taylor, Washington Redskins, 1983-2007
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Zipzap713 Zipzap713 is offline
Senior Member
 
Zipzap713's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Fair Oaks, CA People Converted To Blu: 3 PSN ID: Zipzap713
35
1
Send a message via Yahoo to Zipzap713
Default

Pretty good info. Sums up that Bose is cheaply made and overly expensive. Glad I chose Onkyo
Playstation 3 60 GB Blu-Ray Player
2006 Samsung 1080i LCD Monitor
Feel free to add me on PSN

Fav PS3 Game: LittleBigPlanet
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
jgcamil jgcamil is offline
Junior Member
 
Mar 2008
Default

Well,

I HAD to install one of these Acoustimass systems in my deck / tv room area... my wife INSISTED on simplicity, less cables, etc. At the end, for a better marriage, I had to cave in.

I always knew Bose werent the best... expensive for what they offer. My first alternative for the AM system was the Def tech 100.6 but "no" said the missus... too many cables, equipment, etc.

Now I play with my PS3 in that area.

There is a happy ending to this story... I traded that Bose for a Yamaha RX-Z11 in my Bedroom (it is mid large)....

Now we are BOTH a happy couple...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #14
dlshelt dlshelt is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

Trash Bose and it still does not keep them from selling .People continue to buy it although it sounds like crap.This just doesnt happen.Itsells because it sounds good,maybe over priced but it sounds good.this article was biased .HD dvd paid how much for super bowl ads and where r they now.Bose spends alot on ads and they sell.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
moviefan moviefan is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2007
Orchard Park, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcamil View Post
Well,

I HAD to install one of these Acoustimass systems in my deck / tv room area... my wife INSISTED on simplicity, less cables, etc. At the end, for a better marriage, I had to cave in.

I always knew Bose werent the best... expensive for what they offer. My first alternative for the AM system was the Def tech 100.6 but "no" said the missus... too many cables, equipment, etc.

Now I play with my PS3 in that area.

There is a happy ending to this story... I traded that Bose for a Yamaha RX-Z11 in my Bedroom (it is mid large)....

Now we are BOTH a happy couple...

Ditch the wife and get some good speakers!
Pioneer 60" Kuro Pro Elite 151FD, Sony STR-DA5400ES
OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray player, Playstation 3
Butkicker BKA1000 amp & 3 LFE shakers
Monster HTS1200 Power Center
Klipsch SLX(LCR), SL2(side), Quintet III(rear), Klipsch 12" sub
All HDMI interconnects, Harmony ONE remote
DVDs: 279 & shrinking, Blu-ray: 159 & counting
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Krelldog1977 (01-29-2016)
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
dobyblue dobyblue is offline
Super Moderator
 
dobyblue's Avatar
 
Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
46
610
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshelt View Post
Trash Bose and it still does not keep them from selling .People continue to buy it although it sounds like crap.This just doesnt happen.Itsells because it sounds good,maybe over priced but it sounds good.this article was biased .HD dvd paid how much for super bowl ads and where r they now.Bose spends alot on ads and they sell.
Actually this article isn't biased, those measurements were done by Sound and Vision. It's scientific, you cannot bend or spin those measurements into anything other than the truth.

Please try again, your points are discombobulated.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
dlshelt dlshelt is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Actually this article isn't biased, those measurements were done by Sound and Vision. It's scientific, you cannot bend or spin those measurements into anything other than the truth.

Please try again, your points are discombobulated.
So Bose has managed to fool millions of people into thinking these are good speakers when they are actually junk,and pay top dollar.Good job bose!They did the impossible.Come on,think about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
dlshelt dlshelt is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

I got it!I have that special acoustics in my room that they were talking about in the article,thats the only reason mine sounds good.Im so lucky
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #19
ManUtd ManUtd is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
ManUtd's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
In my HT
1
817
5
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlshelt View Post
So Bose has managed to fool millions of people into thinking these are good speakers when they are actually junk,and pay top dollar.Good job bose!They did the impossible.Come on,think about it.
Let me guess, you have Bose?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #20
dlshelt dlshelt is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Let me guess, you have Bose?
Let me guess,you dont.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
bose lifestyle v10 HTiB (all-in-one systems) scanachick 42 12-17-2009 02:05 PM
Bose Acoustimass Question Home Theater General Discussion fertacrit 21 02-20-2009 09:05 PM
Question with BOSE Acoustimass and reciever Speakers katiehlvr1 7 05-04-2008 09:36 PM
Question for people with BOSE LIFESTYLE surround systems? Blu-ray Movies - North America lforigno 2 08-02-2007 10:51 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04 PM.