Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 4 Film Favorites (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Bridget Jones's Baby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Life of Pi 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
X-Men Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Big Sick (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$4.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 04-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Minidsp

Minidisc has been on a roll lately, I'm wondering if anyone on the forums use any of their products for bass EQ? I'm joining the club out of curiosity. Right now, I have to use JRiver's WDM driver to apply my bass EQ across my platform. I use to have Behringer products to do that, but sold them (practically gave them away) when I started doing everything from my PC. Now I'm back to using a prepro again and I need bass EQ .... Good bass EQ across platform again. I've bought a miniDSP 2x4 for my 4 subs. Wondering about others experience using any of the miniDSP products.....thoughts?
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Minidisc has been on a roll lately, I'm wondering if anyone on the forums use any of their products for bass EQ? I'm joining the club out of curiosity. Right now, I have to use JRiver's WDM driver to apply my bass EQ across my platform. I use to have Behringer products to do that, but sold them (practically gave them away) when I started doing everything from my PC. Now I'm back to using a prepro again and I need bass EQ .... Good bass EQ across platform again. I've bought a miniDSP 2x4 for my 4 subs. Wondering about others experience using any of the miniDSP products.....thoughts?
I looked them up, and they have a lot of flavors. It's more flexible than my Marantz, but I'm going to stop there. Might be more hassle to figure out than a sophisticated pre-amp setup, but a heck of a lot cheaper.

What intrigues me is the possibility of using it as a crossover for regular speakers. Can that be done?
Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2008
Chicagoland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I looked them up, and they have a lot of flavors. It's more flexible than my Marantz, but I'm going to stop there. Might be more hassle to figure out than a sophisticated pre-amp setup, but a heck of a lot cheaper.

What intrigues me is the possibility of using it as a crossover for regular speakers. Can that be done?
Possibly, if your speakers have separate binding posts. Disconnect the connecting bars between your binding posts, use separate amp to drive each set of binding posts. Then use the minidsp to split the source signal and output to different amps using your selected crossover in the minidsp. I do not have a minidsp but that is how I expect it to work.
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15
Thanks given by:
prerich (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #4

Dec 2007

Quote:

Yes, it can be used as a crossover for regular speakers
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

May 2010

I'm interested in using them but it seems very complex. Is there an automated way of measuring and calibrating or do you have to do it by hand. i.e. measure with a mic, make adjustments in minidsp, rinse and repeat till you get it right?
Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
I'm interested in using them but it seems very complex. Is there an automated way of measuring and calibrating or do you have to do it by hand. i.e. measure with a mic, make adjustments in minidsp, rinse and repeat till you get it right?

A lot of procedures would work, along with ancillary equipment, but the approach would be intuitive - ears are the best test equipment. What I think would happen is use the Minidsp in conjunction with a very clean amp, and test the result as a two-way or three-way crossover.

I've smoked too many crossovers with beefy amps (some very good units from Speaker City, and Definitive's internals) to be sloppy with it, power-wise. That means multiple amps, and multiple Minidsp's as crossovers. It's not cheap, but less than some of the fancier speakers.

If it's doable, I see the results as something amazing. Two-way with normal speaker drivers, and three-way with an integrated sub. I have enough gear laying around to give it a shot, minus the Minidsp units, so I'll think it over. I see the potential here.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrispy View Post
You would use REW and transfer the filters (automatically) to the miniDSP. I've already downloaded my plugin for my PC - just waiting for the hardware to get here !!!!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
A lot of procedures would work, along with ancillary equipment, but the approach would be intuitive - ears are the best test equipment. What I think would happen is use the Minidsp in conjunction with a very clean amp, and test the result as a two-way or three-way crossover.

I've smoked too many crossovers with beefy amps (some very good units from Speaker City, and Definitive's internals) to be sloppy with it, power-wise. That means multiple amps, and multiple Minidsp's as crossovers. It's not cheap, but less than some of the fancier speakers.

If it's doable, I see the results as something amazing. Two-way with normal speaker drivers, and three-way with an integrated sub. I have enough gear laying around to give it a shot, minus the Minidsp units, so I'll think it over. I see the potential here.
I know what you mean!!! You could move up to the 2x8 and have a stereo 3/4 way crossover - there are so many possibilities with their products. It's a rabbit hole that I'm afraid I may fall down if the results are what I think they will be with the bass EQ. I've always dreamed of tri-amping my Cornwalls and using an active crossover on them...but I regress.....

I've always been a tweaker, how much more performance can I get - with the smallest expenditure.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:12 AM   #9

Jun 2014

The interface with REW is a lil clunky but it works. The plugin is $10, if your looking to cover a whole system get a 4x10, the 2x4 is a good starting point for subs or 2.1. For the money I don't have any regrets, I use it for subs only
Old 04-24-2016, 02:59 AM   #10

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leun View Post
The interface with REW is a lil clunky but it works. The plugin is $10, if your looking to cover a whole system get a 4x10, the 2x4 is a good starting point for subs or 2.1. For the money I don't have any regrets, I use it for subs only
Using mine for subs only, and yes it's a little deceiving with REW. It states that you can instantly place the filters into the plug-in but what you really have to do is save the coefficients to a .TXT file (not an REW file) and load the filters into the PEQ that way. I'm loving it, I've got the sound that I wanted from it (system sounds like it does when using MathAudio - but now its system wide)!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
Special Member

Apr 2008
Chicagoland

So for a system with 2 sub-woofer line outs from the pre/pro and 4 subs in total, what minidsp model should I be looking at, and what plug in?

Rev A (0.9 Vrms) or B (2 Vrms)?

Any need for HD version if only for subs?

I'm curious to try a 4 sub EQ, not interested in EQ'ing the other speakers. For $120 I may give one a try. Thx.
T: Marantz AV8801, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2 x2, Mirage OMD-C2, Def Tech BP8B x2, Pro Monitor 1000 x6, SuperCube 2000 x2, SVS PB-2000 x2, Carada Precision 126 inch 1.78 BW, JVC DLA-RS600U PJ (2D/3D), Oppo UDP-203, PS3, APC H15, CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD
FR: Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, XPA-3 Gen2, Mirage OMD-C2 OMD-28 L/R OMD-15 Surrounds (in Rosewood), SVS SB2000 x2 (Piano Black), Kuro Elite 50in, Rega RP1 TT, Jolida JD9 MKII (upgraded), Comcast X1 DVR, Panasonic BD, Mac Mini, PS3, APC H15
Old 04-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #12

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSive View Post
So for a system with 2 sub-woofer line outs from the pre/pro and 4 subs in total, what minidsp model should I be looking at, and what plug in?

Rev A (0.9 Vrms) or B (2 Vrms)?

Any need for HD version if only for subs?

I'm curious to try a 4 sub EQ, not interested in EQ'ing the other speakers. For $120 I may give one a try. Thx.
Does your prepro have balance or unbalanced inputs? If you have balanced inputs and outputs - use the 2 vrms version. No need for the HD version if you're only doing subs.

I'm using the 0.9 Vrms version with no problems. You should use the 2x4 advanced plugin.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Special Member

Apr 2008
Chicagoland

Quote:
Does your prepro have balance or unbalanced inputs? If you have balanced inputs and outputs - use the 2 vrms version. No need for the HD version if you're only doing subs.

I'm using the 0.9 Vrms version with no problems. You should use the 2x4 advanced plugin.
Pre/Pro has both RCA and XLR for sub outputs. The subs only have RCA connectors. Using RCA only right now. So am I better off just staying with Rev A? Is there any benefit to get the Rev B and also buy XLR to RCA conversion cables? Not sure there is any advantage to that config, seeing how I have both RCA and XLR. ???
Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #14

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSive View Post
Pre/Pro has both RCA and XLR for sub outputs. The subs only have RCA connectors. Using RCA only right now. So am I better off just staying with Rev A? Is there any benefit to get the Rev B and also buy XLR to RCA conversion cables? Not sure there is any advantage to that config, seeing how I have both RCA and XLR. ???
I'd just go RCA since you will be going to unbalanced anyway.
Thanks given by:
ImPulSive (04-26-2016)
Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 AM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I'm bumping an old thread looking for advice. After doing some reading I have decided I want to add bass EQ to my HT and it appears a miniDSP will do exactly what I want. My question is should I get the 2x4 or the 2x4 HD, and why? I realize the HD is a more capable unit, but all I'm looking to do is add EQ to my subs so if there is no need to spend the extra $100 on the HD then I will be glad to keep it. However, if I would be better off getting the HD then I don't mind spending the extra money.

My setup is 5.2.2 and my components are listed below:

Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-95
Mains: Klipsch RF-82
Center: Klipsch RC-64 II
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-62
TMd: Klipsch CDT-5800-C II
Sub 1: Power Sound Audio 15V
Sub 2: Power Sound Audio XV15SE

Based on what I've been reading I plan to use the miniDSP in conjunction with REW.

Thanks for any help I can get.
Steve
Old 06-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #16

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm bumping an old thread looking for advice. After doing some reading I have decided I want to add bass EQ to my HT and it appears a miniDSP will do exactly what I want. My question is should I get the 2x4 or the 2x4 HD, and why? I realize the HD is a more capable unit, but all I'm looking to do is add EQ to my subs so if there is no need to spend the extra $100 on the HD then I will be glad to keep it. However, if I would be better off getting the HD then I don't mind spending the extra money.

My setup is 5.2.2 and my components are listed below:

Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-95
Mains: Klipsch RF-82
Center: Klipsch RC-64 II
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-62
TMd: Klipsch CDT-5800-C II
Sub 1: Power Sound Audio 15V
Sub 2: Power Sound Audio XV15SE

Based on what I've been reading I plan to use the miniDSP in conjunction with REW.

Thanks for any help I can get.
Get the plain 2x4 - it will do the job! You're using it for just bass eq, and not for a digital source. Just get the 2x4 like I have, you will need the advanced plugin, REW, and a mic like the UMIK-1 or the UMM-6.
Thanks given by:
Steve (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Get the plain 2x4 - it will do the job! You're using it for just bass eq, and not for a digital source. Just get the 2x4 like I have, you will need the advanced plugin, REW, and a mic like the UMIK-1 or the UMM-6.
That is so helpful! Thank you very much!

I have another question now. On the regular 2x4 there is a RevA and RevB option for max input jumper. I'm not sure which I should go with. Any advice?
Steve

Last edited by Steve; 06-16-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #18

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
That is so helpful! Thank you very much!

I have another question now. On the regular 2x4 there is a RevA and RevB option for max input jumper. I'm not sure which I should go with. Any advice?
There's no longer an A and B version. Output is changed by the jumper alone. Find the voltage of your Power Sound sub amps and match your jumper accordingly.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #19

Dec 2007

Tom V. visits the forum - you can either PM him or ask a question in the Power Sound forum to get the proper voltage jumper setting.

If you want to spend a little more money, and a more turnkey method, in the Outlet Center, they have an Anti-Mode 8033-IIB for $349.00
Old 06-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
There's no longer an A and B version. Output is changed by the jumper alone. Find the voltage of your Power Sound sub amps and match your jumper accordingly.
Quote:
Tom V. visits the forum - you can either PM him or ask a question in the Power Sound forum to get the proper voltage jumper setting.

If you want to spend a little more money, and a more turnkey method, in the Outlet Center, they have an Anti-Mode 8033-IIB for $349.00
Thanks. I just chatted with Tom V. on his site and he first recommended the 2x4 balanced and then said with the regular version to go with the 2 Vrms jumper.

I looked at the Anti-Mode units and they seem very appealing, but right now I have to work with a pretty tight budget and everything I've found about the miniDSP units seems very positive.
Steve
Thanks given by:
prerich (06-16-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers