Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
King Stays King: Sold Out at Madison Square Garden (Blu-ray)
$18.23
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #1

Dec 2007
Default Lamp Fail

i have an optoma hd80 and love it....till fairly recently its began randomly turning off and having the lamp fail light go on. and it will sit like that for several hours if left alone ( i don't know how long i got bored after like 3 hours) but if i unplug it re plug it and turn it on it works again. thats how it started then it would randomly do that then stay on for a bit and fail again. and after a couple times unplugging and replugging and turning it back on it works fine for...well tell im done using it. and its just gotten progressively worse so half the time it works fine the other half of the time its saying lamp fail.

its fairly knew, the lamps not dead or at least the lamp dying message majigger aint going off, not over heating just failing.

my conclusion.

i = boned x 2.

anyone familiar with this dookie? or perhaps someone would mail me a cookie.
p.s. I hate my signature.
My set up:
optoma hd80 1080p front projector
sony str-de597 receiver. (upgrading to onkyo tx sr805)
ps3; for movies and select games
blurays:44
games:9
xbox360; for the games
games:17
Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 AM   #2

Dec 2007

anyone know a site that might have insight into this problem. or know how to fix it cause im thinking my only choice is to replace the lampular device.
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Special Member

Dec 2006
In Radioactive Iodine Land

www.projectorcentral.com has a replacement lamp locator section that will lead you to online resellers of projector lamps. Check it out.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007
Hell-y-wood, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofire View Post
anyone know a site that might have insight into this problem. or know how to fix it cause im thinking my only choice is to replace the lampular device.
I'm just curious. By that you mean the lamp or the light engine?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #5

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvortex7 View Post
I'm just curious. By that you mean the lamp or the light engine?
itd be nice if i knew. all i know is it shuts off mid use and the handy lamp light goes on so i looked up in the manual and it means lamp fail.

doesnt offer a solution or what i should do or what that means to me. just
oh that means the lamp failed.

i checked the lamp hours and its at like 1279 or so and its rated for 2000 hours in full power.

and when i unplug it replug it and turn it back on it runs like normal till it fails again.
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 04-02-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

yep sounds like your bulb failed to me, just because it is rated for that many hours does not mean it will get that many and that amount is getting close enough i would say its the bulb
ps3 games: 5 blu-ray: 57
psn: guitarist155

projector: Optima HD70.(epson 8350 coming soon) AVR:onkyo tx-nr809 and HT-RC180 sources: 80G PS3 and 120g PS3 slim, pro-ject debut III turntable, hitachi VCR. power: furman PL-plus II (separate rack), APC H10 speakers: Niles pro LCR and di/bipole surrounds.. Polk CS2 center, monitor 60 fronts, monitor 40 surrounds, 2 x psw10 subwoofers.remote Harmony 890 (RF ;) ) Screen: HDVio 110" electric. plus the bedroom setup...
Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist155 View Post
yep sounds like your bulb failed to me, just because it is rated for that many hours does not mean it will get that many and that amount is getting close enough i would say its the bulb
but would it work after unpluging it and re pluging it?
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

Quote:
but would it work after unpluging it and re pluging it?
yeah it probably has a safe mode after it has done so many hours it will tell it the bulb need replacement i know some people have over used the bulb and had it blow up inside the projector. but i can't say for sure. if you can, i know my projector has a reset lamp hours setting where you can tell it you have a new bulb i would try this and if it works i would change the bulb soon after

projector: Optima HD70.(epson 8350 coming soon) AVR:onkyo tx-nr809 and HT-RC180 sources: 80G PS3 and 120g PS3 slim, pro-ject debut III turntable, hitachi VCR. power: furman PL-plus II (separate rack), APC H10 speakers: Niles pro LCR and di/bipole surrounds.. Polk CS2 center, monitor 60 fronts, monitor 40 surrounds, 2 x psw10 subwoofers.remote Harmony 890 (RF ;) ) Screen: HDVio 110" electric. plus the bedroom setup...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #9

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist155 View Post
yeah it probably has a safe mode after it has done so many hours it will tell it the bulb need replacement i know some people have over used the bulb and had it blow up inside the projector. but i can't say for sure. if you can, i know my projector has a reset lamp hours setting where you can tell it you have a new bulb i would try this and if it works i would change the bulb soon after

well im having a guy i know who runs a hdtv store in my area order me a new lamp which i should get next friday. so ill try reseting the counter.

my projector should have a message that pops up saying the lamp is nearing the end of its life cycle but no such message has been see. so ill try reseting it and see what happens.
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #10

Dec 2007

just tried it.

you bastard guitarist155 my entire house esploded. no. jk.

but it failed just like usual. so no difference but it had 1309 hours on it is that a normal lifespan?

and gvortex7 said something about light engine or lamp. how could i tell which it was...and what would that mean or....hmmm this is my first projector so im still sorta new to it all.
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 04-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007
Hell-y-wood, FL

Quote:
just tried it.

you bastard guitarist155 my entire house esploded. no. jk.

but it failed just like usual. so no difference but it had 1309 hours on it is that a normal lifespan?

and gvortex7 said something about light engine or lamp. how could i tell which it was...and what would that mean or....hmmm this is my first projector so im still sorta new to it all.
If your light engine failed, then you'd most likely see a distorted or discolored image of some sort. On the other hand, if you your lamp failed, then you'd have no image at all. Just a big black screen.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

There are two reasons for lamp fail... the obvious one is that the lamp is indeed bad. All projo manufacturers warranty lamps for 90 days because they are after all, just light bulbs. One can last years... or seconds. You never know. Osram and Phillips make most of the lamps for DLP projos and one is not really any better than the other but make sure you get the correct lamp for the unit. There'll be quite a few that will fit but only one is made for that unit and there are reasons for that.

The other reason you'll get lamp fail is because of a bad PCB (power board). The formatter board could be bad as well but it's failing is not as common as the PCB. Ther fact that the lamp does come on periodically and then shuts down suggests the PCB. Usually, if the lamp is bad, it simply wont fire up at all. If it powers up and then down after a time and can do it every time you turn it on, it's likely the PCB. That's not major surgery but will require a tech to do it.
The most common reasons why lamps have short life spans are: too many power ups and downs in an average day. If you turn it off for a hour or two then turn it back on, it's better to actually leave it on during that hour or two. The other reason is heat. If the unit can't breathe right, it'll fry the lamp. Get a UPS hooked up to the unit so tht if you have a power failure, you can shut off the lamp and let the fan cool it down rather than let it cook which drags the life down massively. Hope that helps you a bit.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 AM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2008
nashville

i would say it is probably your lamp, ether that or the thing that tells you its the lamp but with that many hours i would say there is a good chance the the bulb has failed prematurely

Old 04-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #14

Dec 2007

thanks for the info DavePS3 ill try replacing the lamp and if that dont work theres a shop that repairs projectors in seattle i hear so if its still screwed up after the lamp change ill seek them out. yeah i turned mine on and off alot.

and here i thought i was saving hours. psh.
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 04-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePS3 View Post
There are two reasons for lamp fail... the obvious one is that the lamp is indeed bad. All projo manufacturers warranty lamps for 90 days because they are after all, just light bulbs. One can last years... or seconds. You never know. Osram and Phillips make most of the lamps for DLP projos and one is not really any better than the other but make sure you get the correct lamp for the unit. There'll be quite a few that will fit but only one is made for that unit and there are reasons for that.

The other reason you'll get lamp fail is because of a bad PCB (power board). The formatter board could be bad as well but it's failing is not as common as the PCB. Ther fact that the lamp does come on periodically and then shuts down suggests the PCB. Usually, if the lamp is bad, it simply wont fire up at all. If it powers up and then down after a time and can do it every time you turn it on, it's likely the PCB. That's not major surgery but will require a tech to do it.
The most common reasons why lamps have short life spans are: too many power ups and downs in an average day. If you turn it off for a hour or two then turn it back on, it's better to actually leave it on during that hour or two. The other reason is heat. If the unit can't breathe right, it'll fry the lamp. Get a UPS hooked up to the unit so tht if you have a power failure, you can shut off the lamp and let the fan cool it down rather than let it cook which drags the life down massively. Hope that helps you a bit.
Very good explanation.

I wish to add that the projector cooling system is used to cool down the electronics that surrounds the lamp in addition to cooling the lamp itself. When lamp is switched off, the heat stored in the lamp/holder dissipates into the relatively cooler surrounding areas and heats up surrounding electronics. This will lead to premature failure of these components if the cooling system does not continue after switching off the lamp unit. So it is very important for the cooling system to continue after the project is powered down.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #16

Dec 2007

So I've gotten my new bulb after what seems a life time with no screen.

I had started watcing on my old 17'' screen. Went from 100'' to 17''.

Lots of squinting lol.

Anyways new bulbs in works just fine again.

Though now I've got a new issue. I think its a hair in my projector.

I'm pretty sure its a hair or something that was in there when I put the new bulb in but figured I'd see if anyone could identify it as something else before i went and opened it up to clean it.

I've cleaned the lens. Its across all inputs and its not on the screen.
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #17

Dec 2007

so i took my projector down, took off the mount pulled out the new bulb looked for any hairs or anything cleaned them put it all back together. and back up.

aaaand that lil freakin thing whatever it is is still there. it wasnt always there so how did it get there.
and how do i get rid of it more importantly.

any ideas? thanks either way.
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Follow the light path. The hair may not just be at the bulb or at the front of the lens. It could be in front of the DLP chip or the prism/mirror.

fuad
Old 05-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #19

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSimply View Post
Follow the light path. The hair may not just be at the bulb or at the front of the lens. It could be in front of the DLP chip or the prism/mirror.

fuad
that sounds like the right thing to do.

but how do i do that without disassembling it completely?
My set up:
xbox360; for the games
Old 05-19-2008, 03:43 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Quote:
that sounds like the right thing to do.

but how do i do that without disassembling it completely?
Obviously you created the problem when you had to install the new bulb. :P Try either a USB vacuum cleaner, like the one for laptops and computers, or a compressed air canister that can dislodge the hair from the light path. If that doesn't work, off to Optoma it has to go.

fuad
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors