Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray)
$20.60
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Juan of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah
Cool Sound System under $3000

For my birthday, smack dab in the middle of May, I'll have enough saved up for a $3000 sound system. After careful research and study, this is the final set-up, ALL of which has been ordered from Amazon and eCost:
  • 1.) **ORDERED** The Onkyo 805 Reveiver. (Refurbished $598 including DHL S/H)

• 2.) **ORDERED** A pair of these sweet Polk Audio Rti-A7 Floorstanding Front Speakers $474 ea Gold Box Price

• 3.) **ORDERED** A set of Dipole/Bipole Polk Audio FXi A6 surround speakers for my rear surrounds. $420 shipped (third party Amazon seller)

• 4. **ORDERED** A sparkly Polk Audio CSI A6 Center Channel Speaker $379 Gold Box Price

• 5. **ORDERED** The SVS 20-39 Cylinder PCi Subwoofer $672 Shipped.

TOTAL COST: $2735
**and** FREE SHIPPING WITH AMAZON PRIME!

Thank you for all of your input and advice! I've already received the 2 front speakers and the center channel speaker and I should have the rest of it by next week! I will take photos once it's all set up in the new house. SWEET!!
Cheers,
- Jake =)

MovieRabbit.com

Last edited by darkblueme; 05-24-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Looks like excellent choices! Were are you getting your reciever from for $1200?
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorD View Post
Looks like excellent choices! Were are you getting your reciever from for $1200?
Thanks! Amazon has it listed around that price. Actually, I just looked and it's $1,244.88
Cheers,
- Jake =)

MovieRabbit.com

Last edited by darkblueme; 03-30-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #4

Oct 2007

Thats sounds like a pretty soild system u got in mind. Changes idk if would make any, Denon makes great recivers and the 3808ci is awsome reciver that will last a long time. Polk make some pretty good speakers and with 2 pairs of towers you got planned and a svs sub you will be able to shake ur house with little ease. so i say have a happy birthday and enjoy all ur system will have to offer
Old 03-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #5

Aug 2007

I'd spend 3k, buy the speakers now and buy the AVR later. Speakers will outlast every piece of AV electronics you buy. If you are going to spend any money on speakers, get some worth keeping 20+ years. I presume you have some sort of AVR currently so that the speakers wouldn't just sit in boxes.
Sony KDS-60A2000 TV
Pioneer DBP-95FD Blu-ray
Pioneer VSX-94TXH Receiver
Pioneer 48AV SACD/DVD-A
2x PS3 60 GB
Monitor Audio Silver (RS10/RSLCR/RS1 x 4) 7.1 Speakers
SVS 2039 PC+ Subwoofer
Marantz DV9600 + Audio Technica AHT-A900LTD

Last edited by beavis667; 03-30-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

Thanks for the props, guys! I really, really, REALLY want to buy the speakers now, but... I'm getting ready to sell my house and move into one with a much nicer entertainment room.

I'm a little ashamed to admit that my current audio set-up consists of a Yamaha all-in-one receiver with 5.1 satellite speakers. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but... it doesn't sound FREAKING AMAZING, which is what I want. That, and Dolby True-HD.
Cheers,
- Jake =)

MovieRabbit.com
Old 03-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Power Member

Mar 2007
Toronto, Canada

I would swap out both your side and rear speakers for a dipoles. Use the same for both side and rear.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Quote:
I would swap out both your side and rear speakers for a dipoles. Use the same for both side and rear.
i agree.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

What are "dipoles?"
Cheers,
- Jake =)

MovieRabbit.com
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Dipole - A speaker design that uses two sets of drivers to generate equal amounts of sound both forward and backward, or side to side, with the two sounds being "out of phase." Dipoles are often used as surround speakers, and are very effective at creating a diffuse soundfield when placed on the sides of the listening position. Some speakers offer both dipole and bipole modes.

since you are looking into Polk:

Polk Dipole speakers.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Dipole for surrounds, Bipole for the rears.

Some speakers have both options.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Dipole - A speaker design that uses two sets of drivers to generate equal amounts of sound both forward and backward, or side to side, with the two sounds being "out of phase." Dipoles are often used as surround speakers, and are very effective at creating a diffuse soundfield when placed on the sides of the listening position. Some speakers offer both dipole and bipole modes.

since you are looking into Polk:

Polk Dipole speakers.

Thanks for the explanation (and the link). I was actually looking at these on Amazon:

The problem is... it would up my buying price by $300

Let's hope prices drop in the next month and a half, and I'll do it!! Do you think buying 2 pairs (4 speakers) of those would be the best option for the set up?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm learning things.
Cheers,
- Jake =)

MovieRabbit.com
Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

I've heard Polk Audio Front and Center speakers demo'd at Circuit City, and I love the sound. I know the general rule is "buy what sounds good to you," but if anyone has an alternate brand for the money... please feel free to share.
Cheers,
- Jake =)

MovieRabbit.com
Old 03-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #15

Mar 2008

I seriously wish you would consider Paradigm brand speakers. They used to be available for a lot less in Canada (where they are made) if you can drive there (don't ship from Canada, because Customs will nail you if you're American).

I also would consider a 12" sub instead of a 10".

I have Paradigm Mini-monitors and a 12" PDR sub. Or you can check out the Monitor 7 speakers.

You can also buy Studio 20s from Paradigm, for a step up, or Studio 40s or 60s. Awesome speakers. Lots to see.

I think you should consider Monitor 7s:
www.paradigm.com
Old 03-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007
Hell-y-wood, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectoplasm View Post
I seriously wish you would consider Paradigm brand speakers. They used to be available for a lot less in Canada (where they are made) if you can drive there (don't ship from Canada, because Customs will nail you if you're American).

I also would consider a 12" sub instead of a 10".

I have Paradigm Mini-monitors and a 12" PDR sub. Or you can check out the Monitor 7 speakers.

You can also buy Studio 20s from Paradigm, for a step up, or Studio 40s or 60s. Awesome speakers. Lots to see.

I think you should consider Monitor 7s:
www.paradigm.com
There are quite a few Paradigm dealers in the US, so I don't think he has to drive to Canada in order to check them out in person. I personally prefer the sound of Klipsch Reference Series speakers. darkblueme, before you go ahead and buy those Polk Audio speakers, I'd urge you to go to a Magnolia (Best Buy) near you and test out the Klipsch speakers there.

Last edited by gvortex7; 03-30-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #17

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....
Default I don't want to be the guy who changes it all......

I think you're putting a lot of loot in the receiver because you found a nice deal on it...... and yeah that certainly is a good deal on the receiver.... but the price of receivers ALWAYS drop a lot faster than speakers for instance.... A good set of speakers will sound great 15-20 years from now (may need a re-foam etc. in that time) but in 15-20 years you'll probably go through 3 or 4 receivers because better ones will come out cheaper...... Like I said, it's a sweet receiver, but I think you'll get more instant gratification by shopping around a $500 receiver, and see what your $2,500 will get you as far as speakers goes (quite a bit if you know what to look for)

I see a lot of people think they're "future proofing" with Receivers..... and to me receivers are much like Televisions, they always get better, and the one that you might have your eye on now that is just a hair out of your price range will cost a mere fraction of it's current price in 1 year, because some new fancy add-on that you won't even need will come out, like "standard" dual LFE outs, or bi-wiring, or or some sort of auto-detection like MP3 tag, but for CDs, Blu, DVD, or what-not so it displays, in a scrolling marquee on the front, the name of the movie or song you're listening to (or shows other info about the scene you're watching) etc.... not necessary, but as soon as it becomes the "new craze" the current $1,200 receivers that don't have it will soon become $600 receivers....

Either way, whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I just think with $3,000 budget, a LOT is going to the receiver, ESPECIALLY if you want to go 7.1 I almost stayed with 5.1 because I didn't like the cost difference, but ended up upgrading my additional surrounds when I upgraded my fronts (it's a sickness I tell ya!!!)
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 03-31-2008, 01:10 AM   #18
Expert Member

Jan 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Send a message via AIM to FilmmakingFiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
I think you're putting a lot of loot in the receiver because you found a nice deal on it...... and yeah that certainly is a good deal on the receiver.... but the price of receivers ALWAYS drop a lot faster than speakers for instance.... A good set of speakers will sound great 15-20 years from now (may need a re-foam etc. in that time) but in 15-20 years you'll probably go through 3 or 4 receivers because better ones will come out cheaper...... Like I said, it's a sweet receiver, but I think you'll get more instant gratification by shopping around a $500 receiver, and see what your $2,500 will get you as far as speakers goes (quite a bit if you know what to look for)

I see a lot of people think they're "future proofing" with Receivers..... and to me receivers are much like Televisions, they always get better, and the one that you might have your eye on now that is just a hair out of your price range will cost a mere fraction of it's current price in 1 year, because some new fancy add-on that you won't even need will come out, like "standard" dual LFE outs, or bi-wiring, or or some sort of auto-detection like MP3 tag, but for CDs, Blu, DVD, or what-not so it displays, in a scrolling marquee on the front, the name of the movie or song you're listening to (or shows other info about the scene you're watching) etc.... not necessary, but as soon as it becomes the "new craze" the current $1,200 receivers that don't have it will soon become $600 receivers....

Either way, whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I just think with $3,000 budget, a LOT is going to the receiver, ESPECIALLY if you want to go 7.1 I almost stayed with 5.1 because I didn't like the cost difference, but ended up upgrading my additional surrounds when I upgraded my fronts (it's a sickness I tell ya!!!)

What he said.
The more successful the villain, the more successful the picture. -Alfred Hitchcock
Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #19
Power Member

Mar 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblueme View Post
Thanks for the explanation (and the link). I was actually looking at these on Amazon:

The problem is... it would up my buying price by $300

Let's hope prices drop in the next month and a half, and I'll do it!! Do you think buying 2 pairs (4 speakers) of those would be the best option for the set up?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm learning things.
Buy a single set for the sides, add the rears later.

Like Beta Man said, speakers are the last thing you want to cut corners on. They will last you for years and are the only piece in the chain that actually make the sounds your going to be listening to.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #20
Expert Member

Jul 2007
Salt Lake City, Utah

Good advice about the receiver... Maybe I will shop around. There is a small magnolia demo theater set-up in one of the local Best Buys near me. Perhaps I will stop in there in the next few days and give some other speakers a listen to.

Thanks for the input, everybody! You guys really know your stuff.
Cheers,
- Jake =)

MovieRabbit.com
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion