Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$78.67
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #201
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVigne View Post
Remember, there is a movie discussion forum: "Please use it". Not sure what is the exact purpose of this forum. Someone please enlighten me.
WTF does this have to do with the thread? Have you never been on a forum before?

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #202

Aug 2007
Winnemucca, NV

Bunch of slack jawwed faggots around here. Blu-rays will turn you into gawdamn sexual tyranasoraus, just like me...

Sony KDS-R60XBR2
Sony Playstation 3 (60GB)
Sony STR-DG910 7.1 Channel
Bic Venturi DV62CLR-S
Bic America VK-12 1000 Watts
Vizio 42" LCD
My PSN: bighorns
Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #203

Aug 2007
New Jersey

I got the Blu-ray of it early at Target (they had them out) and I must say the PQ is MUCH better than any release from before. I believe there was something wrong with the film they used and so that's why it looks so grainy (practically impossible to fix). The same thing with Aliens. I think they used the same Kodak film and so you can see how grainy it is in darker shots. This actually does not bother me at all, but don't think for one minute Fox is going to try and fix this. Aliens looks as good as it can on my Quadrilogy DVD set, but once it hits Blu-ray I am not expecting anything other than how Predator looks on Blu-ray. Sound however, is impeccable and blows you away. Cannot wait to hear Aliens sound!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #204
Power Member

Sep 2007
Northern California

Quote:
Remember, there is a movie discussion forum: "Please use it". Not sure what is the exact purpose of this forum. Someone please enlighten me.
Movie and TV discussion is for stuff not on BD, while the Blu-ray Movies and Releases forum is for movies and other stuff released or being released on BD. There really isn't a need to to call people names for something you don't understand. Try spending more than a day on the site before you start criticizing others. I've also noticed like others that all your posts are negative and while that is allowed on this forum it comes off as *****y. If you've got an Axe to grind that's up to you, but do you have anything you like or do you want to keep *****ing?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #205
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2007

It had been a while since I had seen it so it was fun watching it again last night (got mine at Target as well). As others have said (reviews, posts, etc.), the PQ is average but even so, I thought it was still an improvement over the DVD. So, for me, it has served its purpose (provides an upgrade over the DVD so now I can pack it away, sell it, etc.). In other words, I'm happy with the purchase and (for me) it was well worth it.

On a slightly different note, the special effect for the laser/plasma (?) rifle the predator uses doesn't hold-up well in hi-def. Just frame advancing through it hitting one of the soldiers, the special effect is very dated. I actually had a lot of fun with the blu-ray in that sense. Frame advancing through various scenes checking out the special effects under increased resolution/detail.

Anyway, back to the PQ. The PQ looks good at times, with a lot more detail and the colors really stand out. The green in the jungle looks great as well as the red from the strung-up victims. Most of the good PQ scenes occur when it's well-lit and in the jungle. Overall though, the picture is a little soft and can be really grainy at times.

Bottom-line, if you like the movie and don't own it or want to get rid of the DVD, I think the blu-ray version of Predator does well in that regard. I'll let others argue about the price though.

Last edited by owa; 04-09-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #206
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisle View Post
Movie and TV discussion is for stuff not on BD, while the Blu-ray Movies and Releases forum is for movies and other stuff released or being released on BD. There really isn't a need to to call people names for something you don't understand. Try spending more than a day on the site before you start criticizing others. I've also noticed like others that all your posts are negative and while that is allowed on this forum it comes off as *****y. If you've got an Axe to grind that's up to you, but do you have anything you like or do you want to keep *****ing?
There's no need to tell him what the different forums are. It's descibed under right under them.
[Home Theater Setup

TV: Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
Receiver: Denon 1712 *new*
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's
Center: Polk CS10 *new*
Surrounds: Yamaha NX-220P
Sub: SVS SB-1000 *new*
Old 04-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #207
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiny-Ray2 View Post
Predator is another in the long line of pathetic releases this Month. I ain't buying nothing this Month!
A-freakin-Men!!!

"Long tall Sallllleh...SHe built sweeeet...She got every THANG..dat Unka John Needs....Amen."

"I gonna have me some fun."

"I'm gonna have me some fun."

"I'm gonna have mes some fun."

Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #208

Jan 2008

gonna buy and will buy again if it's released again. never had this in my collection and it's a darn shame--one of my favs.

Your...ahem..."kitty's" as big as a house.
The Pandora's Box Trilogy Book One: Into the Void--middle grade fantasy--Yeah, I wrote it--Book Two OUT NOW!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 AM   #209
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Dallas, TX

Just picked up my copy from Target today. The pq is noticeably better than previous dvd releases, but it's not mind-blowing. But the sound is definitely a major upgrade. Worth the purchase, especially for the sale price next week.

"There's somethin' out there waitin' for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die. "
Panasonic 50" VT25 3D HDTV
Onkyo TX-SR708 Receiver
Definitive Technology Mythos One Speaker System
Sony BDP-CX960 400 disc blu ray changer
Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc dvd changer
Sony Playstation 3 500 GB

Panamax 5300 Conditioner
Logitech Harmony 1100 Touchscreen Remote

Last edited by Dark Steel; 04-15-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #210
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Seattle, WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorrancher@ View Post
gonna buy and will buy again if it's released again. never had this in my collection and it's a darn shame--one of my favs.

Your...ahem..."kitty's" as big as a house,..."kitty's" as big as a house!
Why did you say that twice?
JVC 1080p 70" TV, Onkyo 805 Receiver, Panny BD30 Blu-ray Player, Infinity Tower Speakers & Center Channel, Boston Acoustic Tower Surrounds, Definitive Audio "Reference Series" SuperCube 1800 Watt Subwoofer.

Hobbies: Theoretical Quantum Physics/Mechanics, String Theory Supportive Evidence, Particle Accelerator Dark Matter/Dark Energy Gravity Wave Confinements in linear Space/Time displacement fields, Sub-Atomic Particle Annihilation and Micro-Black Hole hyper gravity analysis.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #211
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007

The unknown for me is the audio as I have the BD30 and an Onkyo AVR to decode the DTS HD MA track. Thanks for those who included some info on the audio. If you folks would include that in your post about this movie, that would be appreciated!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #212
Special Member

Feb 2008
USA

I've never owned the DVD, so I'm VERY happy with my purchase...especially at only $22 shipped. Had I known about the Target sale I could've saved $0.60!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #213

Jan 2008
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusarilius View Post
Don't care what reviewers ever say. I enjoy every brainless sci-fi horror flick ever made and can watch them a 100 times without it getting old.

touché
Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #214
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

At the end of the day, you're at the mercy of the source material. This movie was made in 1987. There's only so much even the best remastering and re-tooling is going to do with some source material. That's just all there is to it.

This thread begins with a thumbs down from someone because of one review from a site that was soundly in HD-DVD's backpocket to begin with. Their opinions really don't carry much weight with me.

Let me see what Chad Vardanore at the Spot says. Let me see what our guys here say and start getting a consensus before the lame ass thumbs down threads go up and the rest of it.

I'll be getting my copy today and I fully expect to see and hear far and away the best release of Predator in existence.

YMMV
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #215
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Barking, Essex, United Kingdom

The thumbs down from me is due to many reasons

1) No show of extras
2) BD-25 MPEG-2
3) Why did Fox make us wait for more than a year ?
4) Pricing

Sorry sir, I am sick of seeing HD broadcast type PQ on Blu-ray. If the source material ain't in good shape then Fox should have included all the extras and reduced the price to 19.95 as a goodwill gesture.

Last edited by lgans316; 04-15-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #216
Special Member

Feb 2008
France

Quote:
At the end of the day, you're at the mercy of the source material. This movie was made in 1987. There's only so much even the best remastering and re-tooling is going to do with some source material. That's just all there is to it.
NO, NO, NO, NO & NO ! This is WRONG ! The PREDATOR negative is probably as good looking as any recent movie. They just used a sub-par IP or Interneg hence the grain. Some shots may have been far from perfect ie source material default, but they can be counted on one hand. I've worked on movies that cost maybe a third of the cost of Predator, handled by far from talented DPs as they had on this shoot, and they look better in HD than this crap transfert. Stop assuming that every old movie looks lesser than recent ones due to their age. It's never the age, it's the print they used to remasters that are dated. Get the negative or a great IP, and any 25 years old movie will look as good, if not better than current F&F crap, unless they were shots by blind DPs.

The reason is Fox use of bad material, plain and simple.
Widescreen is better.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #217
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusarilius View Post
Why did you say that twice?
It's the echo.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #218
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
The thumbs down from me is due to many reasons

1) No show of extras
2) BD-25 MPEG-2
3) Why did Fox make us wait for more than a year ?
4) Pricing

Sorry sir, I am sick of seeing HD broadcast type PQ on Blu-ray. If the source material ain't in good shape then Fox should have included all the extras and reduced the price to 19.95 as a goodwill gesture.
Or not bother at all. I'm starting to get that attitude more, in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post
NO, NO, NO, NO & NO ! This is WRONG ! The PREDATOR negative is probably as good looking as any recent movie. They just used a sub-par IP or Interneg hence the grain. Some shots may have been far from perfect ie source material default, but they can be counted on one hand. I've worked on movies that cost maybe a third of the cost of Predator, handled by far from talented DPs as they had on this shoot, and they look better in HD than this crap transfert. Stop assuming that every old movie looks lesser than recent ones due to their age. It's never the age, it's the print they used to remasters that are dated. Get the negative or a great IP, and any 25 years old movie will look as good, if not better than current F&F crap, unless they were shots by blind DPs.

The reason is Fox use of bad material, plain and simple.
^^ I don't disagree with any of the above two posts at all, spelled out like that.

It's time for all the studios who haven't been to start optimizing for Blu all the way or just don't bother until you can.

I've said since day one, among other things, that Fox really needs to get over themselves with their premium prices vs. the other studios.
Basking in the glow of Blu Victory.

Last edited by JTK; 04-15-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #219
Power Member

Nov 2007
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Wait a sec, so after 6 whole posts you feel you're qualified to play moderator by directing members to another forum? Then to top it off you don't even know what the purpose of this forum is and you're asking for enlightment?

Back on topic...A few months ago I started a thread warning members that those with high expectations may disappointed with Predator.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=33565
Blu-Ray Wish List:
Dinner Rush

Last edited by DeeChizzle; 04-15-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #220
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeChizzle View Post
Wait a sec, so after 6 whole posts you feel you're qualified to play moderator by directing members to another forum? Then to top it off you don't even know what the purpose of this forum is and you're asking for enlightment?
Read his other posts. He's a troll.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America