Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City
USA John Wick (2014) - February 3rd, 2015 (Pre-Order)

Can't wait to see this one in theaters.. It's gotten rave reviews, and most on here are saying it's pretty awesome . WM has it up for pre-order, with a date of February 3rd, 2015. That date can, and probably will change of course.

Quote:
An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him. With New York City as his bullet-riddled playground, JOHN WICK (Keanu Reeves) is a fresh and stylized take on the "assassin genre". (C) Lionsgate

Last edited by MifuneFan; 10-24-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

So far away

It's a blast. I hate 90% of these "throwback" / "back-to-basics" movies that are beloved at festivals, because when you're not drunk and buzzed off of the other 4 movies sitting in a crowd that cheers at everything, the experience is not as good, but this one is just awesome.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

This movie was pure awesomeness, everyone go see it!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2011
-
-

This was, for me, one of the most surprisingly awesome movies of the year. It's every bit as fun and stylish as the word-of-mouth and reviews suggests. I saw it with a buddy on Thursday night, and we were blown away. It earns an 8 out of 10 from me.
"I Aim To Misbehave"
Old 10-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I can only agree with the posts here. A wonderful film, with great action scenes, and crucially, the death of the puppy is handled very tastefully, so if that's keeping anyone away, don't let it dissuade you.

Hopefully, Lionsgate delivers a 7.1 soundtrack for this one. It could be reference material.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 10-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

May 2014

Asides from the action scenes this movie is sadly a big meh
Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2013
Boston,MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaGuy View Post
Asides from the action scenes this movie is sadly a big meh
Maybe it's just not your type of movie? There's nothing wrong with that. This is definitely my type of movie, so I can't wait to see it. Plus, I like Keanu Reeves.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Florida

What a great movie
"I'm the Lord of the Harvest."

2014 Top 10: 1) Guardians of the Galaxy 2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3) Gone Girl 4) The Raid 2 5) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 6) Boyhood 7) X-Men: Days of Future Past 8) John Wick 9) The LEGO Movie 10) Edge of Tomorrow
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

Dec 2013

Just got back from this. Much like The Equalizer, this one has a lot of a** kicking of Russian gangsters with pretty much no other nonsense going on. I got almost a Sin City like vibe at times. Great action and revenge movie, although it was color graded to within an inch of its life.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #10

Dec 2010
AZ

Watched it last night. Best action movie of the year after Guardians of the Galaxy. However, I do think it was more stylish than GOTG in terms of its action. The nightclub sequence was the best IMO can't wait to watch it again.
-"You have to do everything you can, you have to work your hardest, and if you do, you have a shot at a silver lining."
Old 10-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #11

Sep 2014
Paris Suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
the death of the puppy is handled very tastefully, so if that's keeping anyone away, don't let it dissuade you.
Must admit that when I watched the trailer (I've stopped around 1 min, not to spoil me the whole thing), I said to myself : noooo, come on ! All that revenge story is because he's been badly beaten up and his attackers killed his cute puppy ?!? It can't be... However, since I'm a bit masochistic (nobody's perfect ), think it won't prevent me from seeing it next week, just to check by myself if the movie (which looks pretty stylish) is more than a series of clichés and really deserves all these positive reviews.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:04 AM   #12
Special Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
I can only agree with the posts here. A wonderful film, with great action scenes, and crucially, the death of the puppy is handled very tastefully, so if that's keeping anyone away, don't let it dissuade you.

Hopefully, Lionsgate delivers a 7.1 soundtrack for this one. It could be reference material.
I wouldn't be surprised if this had a Dolby Atmos mix (seeing how Lionsgate is putting select titles out in the format). Select theatres are running a Auro 11.1 version while the mix on IMAX is very dynamic.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 AM   #13

Oct 2013
Brooklyn NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
although it was color graded to within an inch of its life.
No kidding. I think I can count on one hand how many shots had neutral color timing. The birds eye view establishing shots lol.

Other than that this film f-ing owned. Reeves totally sells it as this badass character, and does a lot of his own stunt work. Quite impressive for a guy that just turned 50. He also showed, lets just say, more acting range than most people give him credit for.

Other than the color timing, my only other nitpick (not complaint) was the overdone CGI muzzle flairs and blood effects. Since this film has a very old school 80's action tone to it, I wish they'd have gone further and used more practical effects. In the scenes that they did use practical effects it really brings it, so it's a shame they didn't do more.

And without spoiling anything, for those paying close attention, you'll notice a few actors that are from The Matrix Reloaded. A nice little reunion of sorts.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanBat View Post
seeing it next week, just to check by myself if the movie (which looks pretty stylish) is more than a series of clichés and really deserves all these positive reviews.
Please note that being a series of cliches and getting positive reviews are not mutually exclusive, depending on how well the film uses those cliches.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #15

Mar 2013

day one buy for sure. please john wick have a kickass steelbook!

im thinking keanu's face with the wick being lit. the other poster showed that i think it was the original would be perfect for the steelbook.

and at the back would be the symbol of the continental hotel or something.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #16

Jun 2014

As John Wick would say in this case:

You ask me if I'm going to buy this on Blu-Ray. Yeah, I think I'm going to buy this on Blu-Ray!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #17

Feb 2009

Really enjoyed this one in a nice theater this weekend. It's a rare thing that I go see a movie first run and this did not disappoint.

Definitely looking forward to this one on Blu-Ray. Can't wait to push my sound system with what is simply and audio/video feast.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #18

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYH View Post
As John Wick would say in this case:

You ask me if I'm going to buy this on Blu-Ray. Yeah, I think I'm going to buy this on Blu-Ray!

LOL! Yeah, this is a straight up Day 1 buy for sure.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #19

Jul 2008
The Mitten

This movie was fun! The action scenes were on point, and I enjoyed the underworld/mafia vibe as well. Definitely one of Mr. Reeves better films in that last few years for sure.
Life without movies is not really living!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011
Raleigh

Day 1 purchase for me! I had a blast! I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America