Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Agent Carter: The Complete Fir… $25.19 (82% claimed)
Soon: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: … ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Apr 2014
Default how do you feel when the covers/boxes for Blu rays get scratched

my Lord of the Rings Extended Edition box is scratched on the side (you can see a bit of the white underneath). This really annoys me. A kind of OCD thing. I actually considered maybe buying it again but knew no way I will since it is a big waste of money. I wonder how other people feel when that happens
Old 08-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
WI, USA

I usually don't care. The one that pisses me off is a steelbook I received where the painting chipped off as soon as I pulled the plastic wrap off. I'm tempted to buy a new one before it's OOP, but...yeah.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
my Lord of the Rings Extended Edition box is scratched on the side (you can see a bit of the white underneath). This really annoys me. A kind of OCD thing. I actually considered maybe buying it again but knew no way I will since it is a big waste of money. I wonder how other people feel when that happens
In the early days, it used to upset me, but now I'm alright. I'm careful with stuff anyway, but stuff can happen. I may be wrong, but nothing stays mint forever (especially if it's in use a lot...and I watch my movies a lot).
Old 08-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Hate it so much that when possible, I'll just slit open the end stuff slides out and keep the shrinkwrap on for extra protection. Started this in the dvd days.

This used to be boxsets only, but with more slips now being shrinkwrapped, it's started on them too.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

It worries me mostly when custom artwork is damaged. Such as digipaks/books. In fact, when I order something with custom packaging from US amazon, which is overseas for me, I order several items so that they will be shipped in a cardboard box and not in a standard bubble mailer, thereby decreasing the odds of damage occurring.

Standard cases can be replaced. And most of the time I replace them anyway since studio use those damn eco cases.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Power Member

Jul 2013

Not as irritated as when a survey thread like this is posted.
Qui Ben Han.
Thanks given by:
atfree (08-27-2016), gkolb (08-29-2016), HD Goofnut (08-27-2016), jws (08-27-2016), Sky_Captain (08-27-2016), xander (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #7

Jul 2007
New Jersey, USA

I get you. But for me, it doesn't bother. However, when a case is cracked...that drives me mad!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2015

I throw them away after I put the discs in sleeves and catalog them, so I don't care.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Just Outside of the Alliance's Reach

I generally understand that in the nature of owning things and needing to touch them to enjoy them, it is probable to result in some mild wear and tear, so I don't care at all. The mint/near mint grading of the cardboard associated with the film within fortunately doesn't impact my ability to enjoy said film. To those afflicted with the opposite, Godspeed.
"Nikko was easy. Now it's your turn. One night you'll close your eyes, and when they open I'll be there. It'll be time to die." - Matt F'in Hunter
Old 08-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #10

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1631 View Post
I get you. But for me, it doesn't bother. However, when a case is cracked...that drives me mad!
I recently ordered a DVD set for all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine, with the seven seasons stored in three large DVD stacks. The second it arrived, I opened it up, held it above the floor, and all three cases slid out and fell on the floor.

Two of them don't even close properly now. Sucks.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
I recently ordered a DVD set for all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine, with the seven seasons stored in three large DVD stacks. The second it arrived, I opened it up, held it above the floor, and all three cases slid out and fell on the floor.

Two of them don't even close properly now. Sucks.
I don't have the Star Trek DVD set, but I think they're similar to these. The Stargate SG-1 DVD set is in something similar.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 08-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Within the Woods ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I throw them away after I put the discs in sleeves and catalog them, so I don't care.

Please explain how you do it, thinking about alternative storage for space savings. What kind of sleeves? What do you put them in once in sleeves? Assuming you're not talking about binders. How do you catalog. Thanks Much ....
Old 08-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #13

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I don't have the Star Trek DVD set, but I think they're similar to these. The Stargate SG-1 DVD set is in something similar.
Yep, that's them.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #14
Expert Member

Sep 2014
My parent's house

I trade, sell, or throw away what is damaged. If it's not perfect, I don't want it.
Fear the man with nothing left to lose.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #15

Jul 2011
Brazil

I feel angered and devastated. Sometimes I re-buy DVDs/BDs that came with mangled/scratched/torn cases or covers. I like to look at the cover art. I value things I own.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
Please explain how you do it, thinking about alternative storage for space savings. What kind of sleeves? What do you put them in once in sleeves? Assuming you're not talking about binders. How do you catalog. Thanks Much ....

You can get these in bulk from Chinese websites. I catalog them like library index cards inside card index cabinets. I have almost all my discs except steels/special editions I wanted to keep out in them. I was able to fit close to 4,000 discs in a 4 ft x 4 ft shelving unit.
Thanks given by:
HonestJohn (08-27-2016), Lt. Brannigan (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #17
Power Member

May 2009
Florida

I actually don't like slips and throw them away when I either watch the movie or bring it home.
"Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that."
Thanks given by:
Petra_Kalbrain (08-29-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #18
Special Member

Apr 2009

like the world has come to an end, like there is no hope for humanity, like there is no God...
Rustin Cohle: I know who I am. And after all these years, there's a victory in that.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #19

Jun 2009
México

Honestly, I no longer care about this stuff.

I see it with my old cardboard-based DVD packaging. Faded colors. Scratched slipcovers. Deteriorated boxes. It can be depressing.

But then I check the DVDs and they look as good as they looked 10-15 years ago. No scratches. They play perfectly fine.

As long as the disk is safe and protected, I can live with deteriorating packaging. I can always check pictures on-line to see how they looked when they were brand new.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

I couldn't possibly care less.

Boxes are to protect their contents. I watch movies...not boxes.

I understand that everybody is a bit obsessive about SOMETHING. I don't begrudge people their right to obsess about anything, no matter how strange. I can't leave my house unless I have a carbide glass-breaker in my pocket in case I have to rescue somebody from a burning car . It's an unnatural and unrealistic worry.

Blu-ray boxes or covers? Nah. That can be someone else's unnatural and unrealistic worry.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America