COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Sankarea Undying Love: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08
Company of Heroes (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
bluesman bluesman is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2008
Default Multiple component hook up tv,dvr,dvd,blue ray

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site. After looking it over I decided this seems to be a very knowledgeable group.

I have a Sony XBR-46 second generation high def tv.
I also have a Directv DVR HR20. I also have a Sony Dav-x1 home theatre system with dvd upscaling.
I would like to add a Sony Blue Ray High Def ( BDP-S300)DVD player to my system. I would then have the Sony TV hooked into the Directv HR-20 DVR and that is hooked into my DAV-X1 upscaling home theatre system. If anyone is familiar with the Sony Dav-X1 upscaling DVD player with subwoofer and 2 small speakers you know it has that RKSX1 audio cable that runs from my upscaling DVD player to the speakers.
The DAV-X1 uses a RK-SX1 audio cabling which is a 15 pin female connector on the back of the DAV-X1. I just purchased a Sony Blue Ray BDP-S300 player but it doesn't have the 15 pin female audio connector on the back to allow me to hook up my 3 speakers from the Sony Dav-X1 system.

Is there any way I can add the new Blue Ray DVD player in the chain of components and still receive optimum audio/blue ray video/audio and use my upscaling dvd player?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it can be done how would I wire everything? My tv has 2 HDMI connections but all other components only have 1 HDMI connections. But possibly I could use Fiber optic connections on some of the components to allow all of them to work.
Thanks,
Bluesman

Last edited by bluesman; 04-06-2008 at 11:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
WriteSimply WriteSimply is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply
Default

The DAV-X1 has limited sets of inputs and outputs. Combined that with the HDTV's input, your options are limited. But before we recommend you getting a receiver (which sounds like you would need one), why don't you explain in detail how the equipment is currently set up.

What goes into the DAV-X1?
What goes into the HDTV?
What comes out of the DAV-X1?


fuad
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Blu Jacket Blu Jacket is offline
Expert Member
 
Blu Jacket's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Ohio
44
Default

My suggestion would be to ditch the upscaling DVD player. If you add a Blu-ray player, it will also upscale your DVDs. Then you can just plug in the Blu-ray where you had the DVD.
TV: SONY 40" XBR4
Blu-ray: 160GB PS3
PSN ID: BluJacket
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
IMind IMind is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

I think the DAV-X1 is an integrated DVD upscaler and receiver together. It looks like you should be able to get everything hooked up video wise and get the best PQ you can expect to get. Simply plug the Blu-ray and DAV-X1 directly into the XBR via HDMI and the DirecTV in via component video. No need to use HDMI on satellite. Then plug the Blu-ray and the DirecTV HD-20 audio into the coaxial digital inputs on the DAV-X1 (marked Video 1/SAT 1, Video 2/SAT 2). You wont be using the DAV-X1 to switch video inputs only audio. Since there is no component video in or HDMI in on the DAV-X1 you wouldn't get HD if you put your video through the DAV-X1 only if you connect directly to the TV. The only issue is that the DAV-X1 doesn't support the latest and greatest audio formats that Blu-ray has to offer (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.) and since it only accepts coaxial/optical digital in the best you can do is two channel PCM, or lossy DTS or Dolby Digital.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
bluesman bluesman is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMind View Post
I think the DAV-X1 is an integrated DVD upscaler and receiver together. It looks like you should be able to get everything hooked up video wise and get the best PQ you can expect to get. Simply plug the Blu-ray and DAV-X1 directly into the XBR via HDMI and the DirecTV in via component video. No need to use HDMI on satellite. Then plug the Blu-ray and the DirecTV HD-20 audio into the coaxial digital inputs on the DAV-X1 (marked Video 1/SAT 1, Video 2/SAT 2). You wont be using the DAV-X1 to switch video inputs only audio. Since there is no component video in or HDMI in on the DAV-X1 you wouldn't get HD if you put your video through the DAV-X1 only if you connect directly to the TV. The only issue is that the DAV-X1 doesn't support the latest and greatest audio formats that Blu-ray has to offer (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.) and since it only accepts coaxial/optical digital in the best you can do is two channel PCM, or lossy DTS or Dolby Digital.
Thanks Imind,
I do have HDMI and Optical in/outlets on every component with my XBR TV having 2 HDMI plus the optical outlet.

But I am going to try and hook my Blue Ray directly into my TV and follow your instructions. My DVR-20 is also High Definition.

Thanks,
Bluesman
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
syncguy syncguy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
syncguy's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Default

This sounds good. You will need to switch audio and video separately. But it is okay.
Regarding upscaling: The blu-ray player that you are getting may not be the best upconverter. Hence it is worthwhile testing yourself, blu-ray player versus upscaling dvd player. Interesting to find out the outcome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
IMind IMind is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Thanks Imind,
I do have HDMI and Optical in/outlets on every component with my XBR TV having 2 HDMI plus the optical outlet.

But I am going to try and hook my Blue Ray directly into my TV and follow your instructions. My DVR-20 is also High Definition.

Thanks,
Bluesman
Your DVR-20 is HD, but it wont do anything better than 1080i so there's no need to use HDMI you can get away with component. The red, green, and blue RCA cables.

Last edited by IMind; 04-08-2008 at 02:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
syncguy syncguy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
syncguy's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMind View Post
Your DVR-20 is HD, but it wont do anything better than 1080i so there's no need to use HDMI you can get away with component. The red, green, and blue RCA cables.
Yes, you could get away with component if it is 1080i. However, IMO use HDMI when ever you can and PQ would be better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
bluesman bluesman is offline
New Member
 
Apr 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncguy View Post
Yes, you could get away with component if it is 1080i. However, IMO use HDMI when ever you can and PQ would be better.
Thanks to both of you guys. I have a couple extra HDMI cables. I'll try it with HDMI since 1 cable is easier to hook up (if you could see my spider web behind my audio/video console you'd understand why I'll try the HDMI cable.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Your advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks again,
Bluesman

Last edited by bluesman; 04-09-2008 at 11:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
syncguy syncguy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
syncguy's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Thanks to both of you guys. I have a couple extra HDMI cables. I'll try it with HDMI since 1 cable is easier to hook up (if you could see my spider web behind my audio/video console you'd understand why I'll try the HDMI cable.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Your advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks again,
Bluesman
You are welcome. regards.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Do AVCHD (DVD) disc play in HD through component cables on a Blu-ray player? Blu-ray Players and Recorders Bishop_99 2 08-01-2009 01:21 PM
multiple dvd's to one blue ray? Newbie Discussion spawn666 5 01-14-2009 09:16 PM
DVR/DVD/VCR combo or Blu-Ray Digital recorder? Blu-ray Players and Recorders jeabombers 5 10-17-2008 03:10 PM
Blue Ray or HD-DVD (An introduction) Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology Bullseye 24 10-03-2006 09:47 AM
Ricoh develops component that reads Blu-ray & HD-DVD Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software mmmhome 5 07-13-2006 06:30 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.