Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Madagascar: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Black Nativity (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Oliver & Company (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #21

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
I've never seen Firefly but I liked Serenity so I would at least rent this if it comes out on BD.
Firefly was way better than Serenity, imho.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #22

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Firefly was way better than Serenity, imho.
Generally, the way the story plays, Serenity is like a series finale for Firefly that made it to theaters.

Some browncoats want to disregard serenity at least a little bit though because they dont want to see some of their favorite characters die.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Firefly had full 1080 post

You're simply seeing the limitations of TV schedule and budget
Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #24

Nov 2007

Whedon has said that the movie can be viewed as a sort of 'Season One Finale'. He has said that he always intended on killing off at least one of the characters that he did in the movie around the close of the first season or in the second season.

He felt it was important that even the main cast not be excluded from dying as he wanted to show the effects of real people living in space.

That made me feel better about one of the deaths.

Also, if you read the 4 issue comic miniseries (written by Whedon) it fills the gap between the show and the movie. All of which he wanted to address in the first 2 seasons or so of the show.

However, Universal now owns the rights to Firefly. They acquired them when they got Joss to do the movie. Which, the rumor is, that Uni wanted him to pen and direct Wonder Woman and sign him to a 3 movie deal. Whedon said he would if they let him do Serenity. Or at least that's the rumor.

Anycrap, until Uni adopts Blu, I doubt we'll see either on on Blu.
PS3 Blu-Ray owner!
Collection: 20+
Games: 10+
Most Wanted HDDVDs on Blu: Transformers, Serenity
BTW, you just lost 'The Game' :cool:
Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #25

Jun 2007
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindcat87 View Post
Seriously, one of the biggest travesties in television history.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Don't know if it is true, but I have heard that there was or is one particular suit at Fox that has some kind of personal issue with sci/-fi/fantasy/supernatural type shows.

Would buy the show in a second on BD.

Chris
The same idiot that was responsible for cancelling ANGEL at least one season too soon perhaps?

FIREFLY is a must buy for me as well. One marker or all of Whedon's work is the cast - their interplay is some of what I prize the most.

ted

Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
However, Universal now owns the rights to Firefly. They acquired them when they got Joss to do the movie. Which, the rumor is, that Uni wanted him to pen and direct Wonder Woman and sign him to a 3 movie deal. Whedon said he would if they let him do Serenity. Or at least that's the rumor.
Umm, no you got things twisted up

Universal has the right to do 2 more Firefly projects between now and 2014

Silver Pictures, who acquired the rights from Warner asked Joss to do Wonder Woman after he did Serenity

There was a browncoat exec at Uni that snatched up the rights when Joss got permission to shop around
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #27

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
Umm, no you got things twisted up

Universal has the right to do 2 more Firefly projects between now and 2014

Silver Pictures, who acquired the rights from Warner asked Joss to do Wonder Woman after he did Serenity

There was a browncoat exec at Uni that snatched up the rights when Joss got permission to shop around
Yeah, as I said the Wonder Woman thing was a rumor I had heard and I wondered if that was true or not.

So when you say a browncoat exec at Uni that got the rights when Joss got permission to shop around, do you mean after Firefly aired back in the day or recently?

I'm just curious as to who has the rights now.
PS3 Blu-Ray owner!
Collection: 20+
Games: 10+
Most Wanted HDDVDs on Blu: Transformers, Serenity
BTW, you just lost 'The Game' :cool:
Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
Yeah, as I said the Wonder Woman thing was a rumor I had heard and I wondered if that was true or not.
Joss's Wonder Woman contract had nothing to do with Serenity. I'd say Buffy had far more to do with him getting that job (however temporarily)

Quote:
So when you say a browncoat exec at Uni that got the rights when Joss got permission to shop around, do you mean after Firefly aired back in the day or recently?
After Fox canned it, Joss got permission to shop it around, Uni, at this exec's urging took it

Quote:
I'm just curious as to who has the rights now.
Fox owns Firefly, on loan to Universal for 10 years or 3 movies, whichever comes first, after which Uni will retain copyright to Serenity and any sequels they've produced, though Fox probably has an option to buy them
Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #29

Jan 2008
Colorado

Quote:
... Was supposed to be adapted for film, but I guess it died in development hell.

Chris
Didn't ya know, it's because we obviously need yet another CSI, another nonsense gameshow, and more reality shows about rich blonde California teens who can't find their makeup in the morning. Regular broadcast TV is shite, has been for a long time. Thank God for DirecTV-HD!
Mitsu 62" DLP
PS3-60g
Old 02-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #30

Dec 2007

Missed the show when it was on Fox. A co-worker told me about Serenity and I loved it. Got the Firefly series and loved it too. Now that HD DVD is for all intents and purposes dead and Uni will have no choice but to release on Blu-ray I can't wait to get Serenity and Firefly if they release it.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Texas

Just cracked the seal of my dvd set and popped in disc 1. I can't believe its been over five years since this series first aired. Great series and so was the movie. Paid only $20 on Amazon for the dvd set. This and Serenity need to be on Blu.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 AM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Prattville, Alabama?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
This is now posted at Amazon as a "place holder". Was this show originally in high definition on television? I really liked the movie Serenity and bought Firefly on DVD. This would be a "double dip" for me if the Blu-ray encoding is good.
ugh! got me excited for nothing
Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
BC, Canada
Default Could Fox be prepping for a Blu-ray release?

Just read this over at TVShowsOnDVD.com

Link

Sounds like Fox is planning another Firefly release. Let's hope they don't pull a 24: Season 1 Special Edition and actually release it on Blu as well.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Fox is very well aware of the value of Firefly, and the fact that it probably sells BETTER than 24 season 1 on a regular basis

With Joss's new show Dollhouse coming out in the fall this would certainly be an opportune time to do so
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #35
Power Member

Aug 2007
Livermore, CA

Ooooh! Hopes are officially up!
Ohhh everybody wants my Nummy Yum Yums~
Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #36
Special Member

Jan 2008
Huntington Beach, CA

I've been holding out getting this series now it actually might pay off. Hope there is a blu-ray release with the dvd.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #37
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Fox is very well aware of the value of Firefly, and the fact that it probably sells BETTER than 24 season 1 on a regular basis

With Joss's new show Dollhouse coming out in the fall this would certainly be an opportune time to do so
'Dollhouse', you say? I am oficially curious about what kind of teenage heroine he will feature this time!
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Southern California

Quote:

Wicky, I remember reading some concerns over how the special effects were mastered in standard definition and how it wouldn't translate to HD - any insight on that?
My short film featuring Jenny McCarthy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLj_rMH0Zk

My featurette on Clive Barker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnIu9fHOUg
Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
Wicky, I remember reading some concerns over how the special effects were mastered in standard definition and how it wouldn't translate to HD - any insight on that?
Those shots would be upconverted more than likely.

Quote:
'Dollhouse', you say? I am oficially curious about what kind of teenage heroine he will feature this time!
Eliza Dushku
Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

I would buy this!
(Now if they had a way to get Doctor Who on BD...)

I would love to get Firefly and Serenity both on Blu-ray. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.
Sony KDL-46XBR3 46" Bravia
PlayStation 3 500 GB / Wii
Yamaha HTR-6090 / JBL CONTROL1XTREME / Definitive ProCenter 2000
My BD Collection / PSN ID: CptGreedle
/ WeaklyAnimated.com / TangentArtists
"Film Grain = Good Film"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America