COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Water Life: Planet Water (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Life (Blu-ray)
$25.26
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Uncle Nino (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Old 04-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer
Question Pull the trigger

I've seen many people here use the expression "pull the trigger" when they have bought or are about to buy something (e.g., "I pulled the trigger on a new receiver and it'll arrive on Tuesday"). What's the etymology of this expression?

Klueless in Kelowna
Old 04-10-2008, 04:13 AM   #2

Feb 2008
Breckenridge Colorado

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...ll+the+trigger

im sure one of these will hold some meaning
Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post

Looks like the 3rd definition is most appropriate--thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #4

Sep 2007

I must be "getting old", cuz I had no idea any of those definitions were associated with the term "pull the trigger".

I've always associated the term with firing a gun and committing to some pivotal course of action. In that respect, it always creeps me out when people use that term to describe them finally buying some big purchase, signing on to some expensive cable service, etc. To me, it's like they are trivializing shooting to kill somebody or some living thing with something as relatively unserious as buying something (like they achieved some incredible feat). Naturally, they may have something else on their mind (as demonstrated by the urban dictionary site) when they use the term, but like I said, it creeps me out to observe people use the term with such little regard combined with what I associate to the term.

To me it is similar to when people use the word "rape" to describe all sorts of other events other than the literal criminal act that the word belongs to. It also irks me when the media is so quick to use the term "war" when it comes to 2 competing formats/standards/hardware entities/etc coming into the fray to win a market. I think it trivializes the word, which does disservice to the dark, brutal, and gruesome nature of real wars occurring somewhere in the world, where real people are getting killed and slaughtered.
1st Fri in January is now Blu-Friday!

Last edited by Mr. Hanky; 04-10-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
R. Cucamonga, CA Blu Ray Steelbooks™: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post
To me, it's like they are trivializing shooting to kill somebody or some living thing with something as relatively unserious as buying something (like they achieved some incredible feat).
Methinks you are taking words and pigeon-holing them into only one meaning, the one that you attribute to them.

Being one of the ones who uses the phrases fairly frequently, I kind of take exception to the notion that I am in some way possibly "trivializing killing another human being." That's simply not the case.

I do see where you are coming from, and not belittling your opinion in any way. Words can mean many things, however.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #6

Sep 2007

That's why I qualified my observation with "to me".

Certainly, we will not come to an agreement on this. I'm simply expressing my particular point of view, based on where I believe the real origin of the term lies. I still feel it is in poor taste (despite its cavalier usage in current vernacular) to have even evolved these other meanings from the original meaning. I fully expect that consensus would not stand with me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchBoy View Post
Methinks you are taking words and pigeon-holing them into only one meaning, the one that you attribute to them.
That's really the cruxt of the theme I'm trying to convey- that there are certain words or terms that should never have been re-adapted/evolved to mean other things in modern culture. Some things should just be reserved to mean one thing and one thing only, in order to do justice to the grim or serious topic that originated the meaning, in the first place.
1st Fri in January is now Blu-Friday!

Last edited by Mr. Hanky; 04-10-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Quote:

Thats some good stuff there, reminds me of the little Johnny joke, the ebonics one
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #8

Feb 2008
Breckenridge Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbbud View Post
Thats some good stuff there, reminds me of the little Johnny joke, the ebonics one
yah, i love urban dictionary. has some good stuff in there.

this is one of my favorites. its called "selling popcorn"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...elling+popcorn
Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:

4 and 6 were new to me.
Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
R. Cucamonga, CA Blu Ray Steelbooks™: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post
That's why I qualified my observation with "to me".

Certainly, we will not come to an agreement on this.
No, I know. I wanted to make sure you understood I appreciated your position.

It's actually refreshing to hear this opinion -- makes me think about the way I use some of the words, or phrases, that I do. And that's always a good thing.

Still, being from the south, you're right -- I'll probably never see anything wrong with "pulling the trigger".
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #11

Nov 2006
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
I've seen many people here use the expression "pull the trigger" when they have bought or are about to buy something (e.g., "I pulled the trigger on a new receiver and it'll arrive on Tuesday"). What's the etymology of this expression?

Klueless in Kelowna
Pull the trigger == Take a shot == Give it a try/take the plunge/accept the risk

Gary
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat