Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Fate/Stay Night: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$54.99
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.30
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
San Antonio, TX
Default Superman Returns PCM verification?

I've heard of the version with PCM being bundled with some player but if you look at the tech specs at the bottom of the page linked, it says PCM. Do you think I should trust this?
http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/3...s/Product.html
Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
Expert Member

Jun 2007

I wouldn't trust it thats alot of money to spend when converted to get a dd audio track.
Samsung PN63C7000
Panny DMP-BDT220
Onkyo 805
PS4
Harmony One
Sony Vaio VGN-FW480J/T w/ blu ray
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

The PCM/TrueHD version was only bundled with U.S. players, AFAIK. I probably wouldn't chance it.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
San Antonio, TX

You're both probably right. i just want it so bad. :there's no crying smilie:
Old 04-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.

I believe it was only bundled with the Panasonic players...there may have been others. They were never sold as a seperate retail SKU.
Panasonic TC-P50X1
Klipsch Reference: RF-35's (Fronts), RC-64 (Center), RS-35's (4 surrounds), RW-10 (sub).
Onkyo TX-SR805 (Black) with Onkyo DS-A2X
Panasonic DMP-BD60, LG BD 370 and Sony Playstation 3 (60 GB)
Monster Reference Power Center 3500
Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajmoyper View Post
You're both probably right. i just want it so bad. :there's no crying smilie:
Sure there is.

Now the real pain begins, Danny-boy.

My Theater/Media Room.................................................. ............My Media Wall Cabinet(How To/DIY)
Old 04-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
I believe it was only bundled with the Panasonic players...there may have been others. They were never sold as a seperate retail SKU.
It was bundled with the Pioneer 94. Through people who've found it I've gotten the Warner catalog number and the UPC, but Googling both still turns up nothing.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

I've continued my quest searching for the new version in stores. I keep checking Best Buy weekly, but they still only have the DD version. I believe one member claimed he found 5 copies at a MN store, but I've never, ever read anyone else finding it in stores on the various boards.
Welcome to blu-ray.com, where slipcovers are more important than Blu-rays.
MY HDNA
LG 55" 1080p LED 55LN5700
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony STR-DG820
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I've continued my quest searching for the new version in stores. I keep checking Best Buy weekly, but they still only have the DD version. I believe one member claimed he found 5 copies at a MN store, but I've never, ever read anyone else finding it in stores on the various boards.
Yeah . . . he said he was going to go check for more, as a bunch of people wanted him to pick one up for them. I don't think he was ever heard from again. I don't know how they'd have it though, since Best Buy still doesn't have a separate SKU for it.

Last edited by BStecke; 04-13-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post
Yeah . . . he said he was going to go check for more, as a bunch of people wanted him to pick one up for them. I don't think he was ever heard from again.
It's so frustrating not to find any since we've gotten word all the way back to December that the new version would be in stores in January. It's the middle of April, and not a trace. I figured Amazon would at least create a new pre-order listing for it. In addition to this title, I wish Warner to release Training Day with TrueHD audio to match the one that came in that red case. But I have my doubts we'll see that anytime soon.
MY HDNA
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony STR-DG820
Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Yeah, that's the only thing that's kept me from buying Training Day. The problem may be that the same copies of Superman Returns are always there when I go to check. No purchases = no reorders = no new version. I doubt they're out there yet, though, since even ebay hasn't had any for almost a month, and I check at least once a day.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
It's so frustrating not to find any since we've gotten word all the way back to December that the new version would be in stores in January. It's the middle of April, and not a trace. I figured Amazon would at least create a new pre-order listing for it. In addition to this title, I wish Warner to release Training Day with TrueHD audio to match the one that came in that red case. But I have my doubts we'll see that anytime soon.
I don't mean to call you a liar, but was there a press release saying they were going to do this? And if so, link?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Expert Member

Jun 2007

I believe if Superman Returns is released with an updated soundtrack there would be an official announcement about it, along the lines of The Fifth Element being re-mastered. This has happened many times in the Laserdisc/SD-DVD world with a new version being released to fan fair. MIB has a separate DTS SD-DVD version, Jurassic Park had a special DTS laserdisc version etc. I hope they get around to it as I prefer my collection to have completely HD discs.(unless the movie never had surround sound or a very simple soundtrack)
LIVING ROOM
Samsung UN46B8000, Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH AVR, Oppo BDP-93, Pioneer Elite CLD-95 laserdisc player, Sony VCR, Bang & Olufsen turntable, Triad Gold Satellites (4) & Gold Center Channel, Triad Silver Subwoofer, Logitech Harmony 890 remote

HOME OFFICE
Samsung LN46A650, Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH AVR, Oppo BDP-83, A/D/S L300C (5), A/D/S L200C (2), A/D/S SW5 subwoofer, Logitech Harmony One remote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

The PCM/TrueHD version already exists . . .

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajmoyper View Post
I don't mean to call you a liar, but was there a press release saying they were going to do this? And if so, link?
DobyBlue has stated several times, on here and at AVS, that the TrueHD/PCM version of Superman Returns would replace the DD 5.1 version once that runs out of stock. He said the warehouse was out of the old version, yet I can't find a new version anywhere. And from reading various forums, no one else has either.

And, of course, with the TrueHD/PCM version already existing with the Pioneer bundle, it makes sense for them to replace the old release. No need to keep producing that one if a superior version exists.
MY HDNA
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony STR-DG820
Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jun 2007

I found the pcm/true version from some one that had bought the pioneer 94 and it is awesome. Such ashame Warners is holding out on this. Maybe they are waiting to make a double dip.
Samsung PN63C7000
Panny DMP-BDT220
Onkyo 805
PS4
Harmony One
Sony Vaio VGN-FW480J/T w/ blu ray
Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Aside from actually quitting HD DVD, Warner has made a lot of questionable decisions regarding Blu-ray. Apparently Pioneer had to pay Warner to get these Superman Returns with PCM authored and pressed. I believe the particular player it was bundled with has been out now for close to a year. The only thing I can think of is that Pioneer had some sort of exclusive window for the title with Warner, but that player has been sold out for months now.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Big box stores often have large regional warehouses stocked iwth titles like that

It takes awhile to bleed those out

I have personally confirmed with Warner that what Doby says is true
Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
Big box stores often have large regional warehouses stocked iwth titles like that

It takes awhile to bleed those out

I have personally confirmed with Warner that what Doby says is true
That is great to hear. Do you have any idea if the new version will have a new UPC code? I hope Amazon creates a new listing for it when they beging to carry it. Otherwise, I'll have to keep driving by Best Buys every few weeks.
MY HDNA
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony STR-DG820
Old 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
That is great to hear. Do you have any idea if the new version will have a new UPC code? I hope Amazon creates a new listing for it when they beging to carry it. Otherwise, I'll have to keep driving by Best Buys every few weeks.
I have no idea, I've been dying for one myself and am doing the same thing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America