Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Rambo 1-3 Box Set (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 AM   #1

Jan 2008
Default Audio out of sync on PS3

I brought my PS3 over to a friend's house to watch Pirates on BD because his HDTV is full 1080p.

When the first sword fight in the movie began, I had the thought that the audio seemed a little behind, just a little bit. As the movie continued, I became more and more sure. After the movie, I asked him "did the audio seem a little off?" and he said yes.

Anything I can do about that? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 AM   #2

Jul 2007
Oklahoma City, OK PSNetwork ID: damreg1022 FREE: BETAMAN

pirates.
John,
I help you, How to trick on PS3.
Using Red and White for Analog A/V input cable, Sound Settings>
Skip color Blue, Green, Red component for Video.
Do not use on Video Settings. just HDMI cable
Be Careful,
your receicer setting is audio input for Analog.
And Surround Modes: Stereo
- opips2
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpompeo View Post
pirates.
i dont think he means that Pirates
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #4

Jan 2008

... Guess that means I'm screwed. Still have a couple weeks to take it back though....hmmm....
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #5

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemaddict View Post
I brought my PS3 over to a friend's house to watch Pirates on BD because his HDTV is full 1080p.

When the first sword fight in the movie began, I had the thought that the audio seemed a little behind, just a little bit. As the movie continued, I became more and more sure. After the movie, I asked him "did the audio seem a little off?" and he said yes.

Anything I can do about that? Thanks!
Did your PS3 go through a receiver or directly to his TV?
Sony 40G PS3
Philips 47PFL7422D/37
Onkyo SR605
JBL NSP-1
JBL PB12
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2008
Okefenokee Swamp

I've never had A/V sync issues with my PS 3. Do you have issues with your monitor? Does your friend have an AV delay added by his receiver? Or it may just be a bad disk.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

That would not be caused by a bad disc. It would glitch and not function at all

Sounds like processing lag on the TV
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

processing lag.
something is processing the sound longer than it should.
What receiver are you using? Is this HDMI?
Sony KDL-46XBR3 46" Bravia
PlayStation 3 500 GB / Wii
Yamaha HTR-6090 / JBL CONTROL1XTREME / Definitive ProCenter 2000
My BD Collection / PSN ID: CptGreedle
/ WeaklyAnimated.com / TangentArtists
"Film Grain = Good Film"
Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Not audio, video processing lag

This is especially prevalent on the cheaper and older sets
Old 04-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Banned

Apr 2008

Have this problem on my TV sometimes as well. It happens on the PS3 and the Cable box. I thought it was the cable company at first since it never happened on the PS3.

Then all of a sudden it started happening on the PS3 every so often. It's rare, but to fix it.. you need to sync up the tv and the PS3. Turn the PS3 on before the tv has switched its input to the PS3 and this is where the problem arises - at least for me.

I have a Westinghouse LCD. Yeah, it's cheap but it's not my main one. I have heard others have had issues with HDMI sound on cheaper sets.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

If this was running through a receiver, then to a TV you could most likely fix the sync problem with a setting on the receiver...
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #12

Jan 2008

It's not going through a receiver. He's using HDMI.

He bought the HDTV a few months ago. It's full 1080p.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
Contributor

Jun 2007
California

has that only happened with just that movie or has there been other movies that this happened to?
IGN and RPGamer- Ar tonelico II Best PS2 Game Award for 2009
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel out now

Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 AM   #14

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
has that only happened with just that movie or has there been other movies that this happened to?
I've only noticed it with Pirates. But I tried it on another HDTV, and it looked fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:14 AM   #15

Sep 2009
Red face Blu ray / PS3 audio sync correction

Watching Watchmen, PS3 was out of sync with audio. Read a little and wanted to post something to help folks correct the problem quickly and easily. Don't worry, there is NOTHING wrong with your equipment.

Most newer amps have A/V sync for this very reason. Access your amp menu, locate the option and manually sync it up (around 200ms in my case for this particular film).

I am using Sony Bravia 120hz LCD from 2008, new PS3 (09/09) and Sony STRDN1000 amp (I believe all of the previous STR-DGseries amps support A/V sync as well).

Oh yeah, be sure to go into your PS3 setup and set to Bitstream if you have a decent amp. Otherwise you will not be able to use DTS, etc...

E
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #16

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPiven View Post
Have this problem on my TV sometimes as well. It happens on the PS3 and the Cable box. I thought it was the cable company at first since it never happened on the PS3.

Then all of a sudden it started happening on the PS3 every so often. It's rare, but to fix it.. you need to sync up the tv and the PS3. Turn the PS3 on before the tv has switched its input to the PS3 and this is where the problem arises - at least for me.

I have a Westinghouse LCD. Yeah, it's cheap but it's not my main one. I have heard others have had issues with HDMI sound on cheaper sets.
Gotta admit, I am having this same issue with my new Samsung 32" LCD model LN32B460. And this is after reading tons of customer reviews saying they witnessed no 'lip sync' problems. I'm using a PS3 and a Belkin HDMI cable. Everything through AV is fine. DVD through HDMI is fine. Only blu-ray movies through HDMI show video/audio sync issues.

Anyway, this fix you suggest, JeremyPiven, I don't fully get what you're saying. Turn the PS3 on before the TV has switched its input to the PS3? What does that even mean?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #17

Nov 2007
Calgary, AB

My Yamaha RX-V3800 has auto A/V sync via HDMI.
I was told that you must use an HDMI 1.3 cable for this to actually work.
I have mine set to auto sync and it seems to be bang on with HDMI 1.3 cable.
Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma
Sony KDL-55XBR8 55" LED LCD
Sony BDP-S350
Sony BDP-S590
Yamaha RX-V3800
Axiom Epic 60 - 500 Speakers (7.1)
Monster HTS 3600 MKII Conditioner
Logitech Harmony 900
Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #18

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak88lx View Post
My Yamaha RX-V3800 has auto A/V sync via HDMI.
I was told that you must use an HDMI 1.3 cable for this to actually work.
I have mine set to auto sync and it seems to be bang on with HDMI 1.3 cable.
Would be nice if all TVs had a sync feature built-in. The Belkin HDMI cable I got is in fact 1.3, and last I checked a PS3 is a half-decent player. Maybe it's my new Samsung TV? If it is and it's just because it's a cheaper model, I guess I'll live with it. I can't afford a 4-figure TV.

Also, my setup is just a PS3 + HDMI cable + Samsung LCD. No amps, no receivers, no sound systems, etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #19

Nov 2009

I also have this problem. The problem is there both when I play blu ray and DVDs, but also downloaded versions of movies I own, such as Braveheart (well I don't own it but it's been on tv so many times it's legal to own a copy by now hands down since I could of recorded it anytime I felt like, legally) anyway I noticed that when I switch from Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr color mode during playback to RGB, the issue dimishes.

Also, during playback of divx or similar, from the PS3, when I turn of all the fancy noise reduction during play it gets better, by this I mean, simply click the button on the PS3 controller and tag 'Ghost noise reduction' from 2 to off, I mean this is a PS3 intrinsic thing not of the tv.

Anyway, since these things are altered depending on the settings of the PS3 as well as the tv, for instance resetting the tv seems to fix it for a little while, it seems the problem is BOTH with the tv and the PS3 and I am surprised, since I use the newest 1.3 cables, that there is even an issue. I'm thinking maybe the PS3 itself is not blu ray 1.3 compatible or something. I hope they fix this in a firmware update for the PS3, I certainly hope it's not a hardware issue that will only be fixed with the PS4 or whatever.

Anyway, my get up is, I have a new Samsung LED tv, 32 inch from the cheapest 6-series (a 6050 model), a PS3 and a NAD C740 stereo receiver. I can either use the built in tv speakers and go all through HDMI (though this doesn't fix the issue) or I can run HDMI to the tv and then output the sound through the red and white cables of the SCART cable to my receiver, and there is also the issue. It is rather annoying. Also, when I run speakers vs using headphones I think there is a slight delay with the speakers, meaning the problem can also accumulate in the receiver.

I think it's the whole sorry mess, sort of the issue of syncing up these things is very difficult. I hope they upgrade the PS3 for 1.3 HDMI support soon since movies deserve to be enjoyed without the annoyance of lip sync issues, though (some) of them are crap, still who wouldn't want to see 'Tremors' or 'Hellboy II" in high def?? Troll market anyone? Just musing. I hope we can solve this somehow. Most of all, I hope HDMI 1.3 is something they can program into the PS3, as I think that is the issue, intrinsic lack of 1.3 support in the PS3.

Peace to all and peace out, lol

Jesper
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Franklin, WI
Send a message via AIM to Britnasty

Personally I've come to notice if you switch from HDMI to like regular tv and back to HDMI, it glitches and makes it go out of sync.

I turn my tv off and turn it back on and its fine then.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders