COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Les MisÚrables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #1

Dec 2007
Oregon
Send a message via Yahoo to Heart&Soul
Default Why Aren't More Movies Release With 7.1 Audio?

Is it that much more expensive for a studio to create a 7.1 soundtrack when the film is released in theaters? I would think that since there are so few Blu-rays with 7.1, it would be a great selling point. I have my system set up for 7.1 and there aren't that many movies to take advantage of it.
52" Mitsubishi DLP
Sony BDP-S300
Onkyo 605
Monster cables - HDMI
Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Power Member

Jan 2008
Washington

I'm with you, I would like to take more advantage of my 7.1 setup. 310 to Yuma is my favorite currently and Shoot em up is fun too.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Seattle, WA.

The whole format is relatively new. BD just became the only HD format. Think of all of the different encodes per studio with two formats going. These things take a great deal of time to become solidified into a uniform HD viewing and listening experience.

There is no garauntee that 7.1 will become the norm in the future either. Remember 6.1? Where is it? Remember THX on DVDs? Where is it on BD. Not needed and too expensive for studios to pay for when it is almost a selling gimmick at this point and nothing more.

Time will tell if 7.1 will be around in the future or not. If it is... great.
Bottom line is that it's just far too early for all studios to be of a single mind on this issue at this time.
JVC 1080p 70" TV, Onkyo 805 Receiver, Panny BD30 Blu-ray Player, Infinity Tower Speakers & Center Channel, Boston Acoustic Tower Surrounds, Definitive Audio "Reference Series" SuperCube 1800 Watt Subwoofer.

Hobbies: Theoretical Quantum Physics/Mechanics, String Theory Supportive Evidence, Particle Accelerator Dark Matter/Dark Energy Gravity Wave Confinements in linear Space/Time displacement fields, Sub-Atomic Particle Annihilation and Micro-Black Hole hyper gravity analysis.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Tampa Bay,FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusarilius View Post
The whole format is relatively new. BD just became the only HD format. Think of all of the different encodes per studio with two formats going. These things take a great deal of time to become solidified into a uniform HD viewing and listening experience.

There is no garauntee that 7.1 will become the norm in the future either. Remember 6.1? Where is it? Remember THX on DVDs? Where is it on BD. Not needed and too expensive for studios to pay for when it is almost a selling gimmick at this point and nothing more.

Time will tell if 7.1 will be around in the future or not. If it is... great.
Bottom line is that it's just far too early for all studios to be of a single mind on this issue at this time.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

All theatrical movies are still mixed 5.1 by default.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
Except Woody Allen movies... right?

~Alan<~~~~~~~Who wonders if Scarlett Johannson would let him adopt her...
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the
views of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #7

Feb 2008

I wish they would make more Blu's with 7.1 though. Most all of the major receivers are selling in 7.1. That's their major selling point.
Blu-Ray Player:PS3
TV: Samsung LN-T3242H
Receiver: Sony STR-DG720
Sony SSB-3000 bookshelf speakers
Sony SS-CR3000 Center channel and rear pack
Sony SA-W2500 subwoofer
Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 AM   #8

Nov 2007
Eastern PA

The Descent is in 6.1 at least woohoo
Sony KDL-40V3000
Panasonic CT30WC14 1080i
Samsung BD-P1500
Sony HDR-UX7 HD Camcorder
Sony STR-DG720 7.1
Blu-Ray Movies: 45
DVD: 160
Old 05-14-2008, 01:45 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
Except Woody Allen movies... right?
That's right, isn't he still mixing in mono?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #10

Nov 2007
The Santa Cruz Mountains

Quote:
MOST theatrical movies are 5.1 but a handful are released theatrically in 7.1 (SRD-EX and DTS-ES). I find that few theatres are even 7.1 capable. I think the last 7.1 theatrical release was The Waterhorse.
Optoma H78DC3 Projector
Samsung BD-P1200 & Toshiba HD-A2
CAVX Anamorphic
11' Wide 2.35:1 Screen
Old 05-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
That's right, isn't he still mixing in mono?
Yep!

~Alan
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the
views of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #12

Dec 2007
Oregon

Is it difficult for a studio to go from 5.1 to 7.1? Do they have to fake the increase in some way? If the elements aren't there to begin with for the additional 2 speakers, how can they do it so it sounds as if it was originally 7.1?
52" Mitsubishi DLP
Sony BDP-S300
Onkyo 605
Monster cables - HDMI
Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #13

Sep 2007
Vienna, VA
Send a message via Yahoo to ganthc

Quote:
Originally Posted by timer00 View Post
The Descent is in 6.1 at least woohoo
That is still one of my favorite audio tracks from any movie.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
Power Member

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatintheHat View Post
MOST theatrical movies are 5.1 but a handful are released theatrically in 7.1 (SRD-EX and DTS-ES). I find that few theatres are even 7.1 capable. I think the last 7.1 theatrical release was The Waterhorse.
Dolby EX and DTS ES are both 6.1 mixes, though they sometimes call it 7.1 is you use two speakers for the surround back channel -- but since it's a mono signal, that's not really accurate. SDDS has a true 7.1 configuration, but its five channels across the front (like in the older 70mm analog systems) + 2 surround channels, so having a 7.1 SDDS master isn't really very useful for creating a 7.1 home theatre mix. Similarly, though the DCI spec allows for up to 16 channels of PCM sound for digital cinema, the only channels defined are the 7.1 channels setup like the SDDS system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart&Soul View Post
Is it that much more expensive for a studio to create a 7.1 soundtrack when the film is released in theaters? I would think that since there are so few Blu-rays with 7.1, it would be a great selling point. I have my system set up for 7.1 and there aren't that many movies to take advantage of it.
Since there's no reason to do a 7.1 mix for theatrical release (and the 6.1 systems never took off theatrically) I wouldn't count on it. As big of a deal as everyone here makes of 7.1, it's all just remixed (or 'rematrixed') from the original 5.1 mix.

Quote:
Is it difficult for a studio to go from 5.1 to 7.1? Do they have to fake the increase in some way? If the elements aren't there to begin with for the additional 2 speakers, how can they do it so it sounds as if it was originally 7.1?
Excuse a minor rant here...

I have the utmost respect for sound mixers, but at the end of the day, the studios (and Dolby/DTS) have severely limited the real usefulness of surround sound in movies anyway. Based on some 'consumer preference,' virtually all of the dialog is just spouted from the center channel speaker regardless of the character's actual placement on or off screen, while music and sound effects are put out through the right and left channel speakers with minimal directionality. And then, occaisonally, some of it (mainly sound effects) gets bled through to the surrounds to make people go "Oh, cool!"

Compare that "modern method" to the older 70mm 6-track or Cinerama 7-channel stereophonic mix and you'll be blown away by how much more "real" those older systems sounded. Character's voices actually appear to come from *gasp* their character location! What a novel concept. Of course, since cinema screens are far smaller today those five across the front systems with highly directional sound wouldn't have nearly the same impact today -- and pretty much no one's home theatre would be large enough to accomplish the effect, it's still pretty jarring what amazing directionality they were able to create decades before Dolby Digital or DTS had even been conceived.

Anyway, back to your question... you would almost always be starting with a 24/48 5.1-channel PCM mix created by the original sound mixer on the film. This mix is made up of a TON of mostly mono (with some stereo music and effects) sound 'elements' that the original mixer has used to create a 5.1 mix. Since there really aren't any 5.1 'elements,' there certainly aren't any 7.1 'elements,' but you can create a new 7.1 mix just as easily as the original 5.1 mix. Neither mix is truly "real" or "fake." Film is art, and sound design is part of the art. It's just a matter of the studio deciding to allocate the resources to remixing to 7.1 for the Blu-ray release.
HT setup: Sony 55" SXRD 1080p display, 60 GB PS3, Sony ES 7.1 Receiver, JBL Surround System

Notebook setup: Apple 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008 unibody), Intel T9400, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD; FastMac APP-6907 portable BD-ROM drive, Dell 2408WFP S-PVA 24" display, Windows Vista Business x64 (via BootCamp), PowerDVD 9 Ultra.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #15

Feb 2008
Maryland

Quote:
I would imagine that a movie studio could remix the individual tracks any way they want.... Look out for 10.1 coming soon!!
OkoPeeKee-Taki

Elizabeth & Gina TLA!!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #16

May 2008
Chi-City

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkoPeeKee View Post
I would imagine that a movie studio could remix the individual tracks any way they want.... Look out for 10.1 coming soon!!
Sounds awesome! 3 cheers for TrueDTS-HD-SEX-10.3 Ultimate Platinum Extended Edition Surround Sound

Sony 60XBR2
Onkyo TX-SR705
KEF iQ Series Speakers - iQ9 L/R, iQ6c C, iQ3 (x4) Surrounds
PS3 80gb - Xbox 360 Elite + HD Player

People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durden
Old 05-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
Power Member

Jan 2008
Washington

ahh, i'd rather hold out fo 360.4 with the option to buy smell-o-vision
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #18

Dec 2007
Oregon

I could see where 12.1 would be nice - 3 in front, 3 on the right side, 3 in the back, and 3 on the left side. That would make for smooth movements around the room. I wonder if there would ever be a need for a speaker directly overhead pointing down, or one on the floor pointing up?
52" Mitsubishi DLP
Sony BDP-S300
Onkyo 605
Monster cables - HDMI
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
Power Member

Jul 2006

I personally am very disappointed that studios aren't taking the time to remaster the audio of many (if not most/all) new and catalog titles to get them released with 7.1 audio... to not take full advantage of the format and basically give people better picture quality but DVD-grade audio quality is pretty crappy.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

Quote:
I personally am very disappointed that studios aren't taking the time to remaster the audio of many (if not most/all) new and catalog titles to get them released with 7.1 audio... to not take full advantage of the format and basically give people better picture quality but DVD-grade audio quality is pretty crappy.
How is the lack of the artificial addition of a split surround back channel "DVD grade audio quality"?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America